daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #601
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Where is that? looks like BE

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #602
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Seems to be the Netherlands: http://maps.google.nl/maps?ll=52.278566,6.433544&z=18
I'm afraid I don't have any recent figures about roundabout costs. There's been plans for a roundabout nearby for about 5 years, but one shop seems to be very difficult to expropriate. In the meanwhile, I keep on risking my life each time I drive there on my bicycle, as I need to merge into car traffic to cross the intersection

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #603
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

When the local authorities decided to replace a major bridge here in Appleton, WI, USA a few years ago, they had a choice for the irregular intersection at its east end - an upgraded conventional intersection or a two-lane roundabout. The engineering reports on that showed that the roundabout would require the taking ('expropriation') of six fewer houses and cost about a half-million dollars *less* than the intersection.

The wisdom of the decision to go with the roundabout was fully apparent within MINUTES of its opening - traffic was flowing freely and there were none of the backups that the old bridge and that intersection were well known for.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #604
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

Similar price for this roundabout in Varna, although it was previously announced it will cost 4 times cheaper (and it should be - labor cost and materials are quite cheaper in BG). It finally costs about 800 leva which is about 400 euro. this is described as a scandalous scheme for diversion of funds and draining the city budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanashubav View Post

Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #605
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Does anybody agree that roundabouts in Italy are among the most dangerous in Europe? (for example the one at the end of the A4 coming from Milan going into Turin) The UK I consider the safest, with clear lane markings, apart from the one at South Mimms (A1(M) , M25).

Austria would be ok, if Austrians knew how to use them. But overhere there is no such thing as 3/4 turn (3rd exit) indicating. I'm the only one that does that. Same applies to Germany.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #606
joshsam
JR

I know plenty of big roundabouts in Belgium without any lane marking on them. They don't feel dangerous I guess.
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #607
Road_UK
BANNED

^

Are you sitting comfortably?
Ok, here it goes:
Belgium has pretty good roundabouts, and people use them well.

There, I said it.
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #608
joshsam
JR

haha

That's being honest I guess.

I have something to say myself: I think some are to small designed on secondary roads for big trucks, while those roads see plenty of big trucks in Belgium.
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #609
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Does anybody agree that roundabouts in Italy are among the most dangerous in Europe? (for example the one at the end of the A4 coming from Milan going into Turin) The UK I consider the safest, with clear lane markings, apart from the one at South Mimms (A1(M) , M25).

Austria would be ok, if Austrians knew how to use them. But overhere there is no such thing as 3/4 turn (3rd exit) indicating. I'm the only one that does that. Same applies to Germany.
Lack of indicating on roundabouts is the thing that annoyed me the most about drivers, especially on mini-roundabouts
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #610
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

It's the biggest problem in Bulgarian roundabouts - drivers who don't know how to use them and almost nobody indicating... And also no matter at what exit they plan to go, they cross all lanes inside the roundabout on the shortest way, not respecting the markings.
It decreases the efficiency much.
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #611
geor

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
It's the biggest problem in Bulgarian roundabouts - drivers who don't know how to use them and almost nobody indicating... And also no matter at what exit they plan to go, they cross all lanes inside the roundabout on the shortest way, not respecting the markings.
It decreases the efficiency much.
What does the police do about that way of driving?? Only watching? In Croatia the police has to control bigining of operating all new rotors
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #612
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor View Post
What does the police do about that way of driving?? Only watching? In Croatia the police has to control bigining of operating all new rotors
you can't have police on every corner, as the saying goes...
anyway, I think in any country we have problems with people that are just not capable of understanding certain theories about driving and it's not just roundabouts.
For example in Hungary we have no problem with normal roundabouts (and we didn't have any of them twenty years ago, so that's no excuse for Americans ), but we do have a problem with multi lane roundabouts. People are not sure how they work so most of them just keep to the outside lane, reducing the capacity and preventing others from useing it properly. At least here ignorance makes people go slow and safe and not fast and reckless through lanes as it was described in Bulgaria
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #613
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

I wouldn't say they go fast and reckless, but they do not respect lanes - which means almost the same as in Hungary - they may be in the outside lane although they will leave on the 3rd exit, or they may be in the inside lane and leave at the nearest exit... and without indicating. So it makes it work like an one-lane roundabout, because no mater in which lane there is a car, all incoming cars stop and wait, because they don't know where it is going and if they'll cross directions with it...
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #614
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

i see. yes that's exactly the problem with it.
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #615
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Belgium has pretty good roundabouts, and people use them well
Belgians often lack the use of indicators..
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #616
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
Belgians often lack the use of indicators..
No, Belgians have indicators as well. They may not always use them, but I've definitly seen indicators on Belgian cars.
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #617
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
you can't have police on every corner,
Not at every corner, but very often at new infrastuctures objects like junctions.
The 2nd question is about driving schools. Do they teach about driving at; one, two, three lane rotors?
The 3rd question is about vertical and horizontal signalization. Do they harmonize them and how does it look like? How does the left arrow look like?
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #618
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Proper grade sperated junctions > Normal 4 way junctions ( with the main road having right of way) > Roundabout > Traffic lights > Roundabout with traffic lights ( = pure evil imho, do just traffic lights or a roundabout but not bloody both!).

Purely going on how fast you can traverse em. Safety has far too much influence these days, they should instead focus on what can handle the most traffic and as quick as possible.

Things like this:
http://maps.google.nl/?ll=51.967631,...08256&t=k&z=18
Are designed by an imbecile imho, in what way is that thing better than a normal wide junction with traffic lights like this :http://maps.google.nl/?ll=51.95108,4...08256&t=k&z=18 ?
Morons.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #619
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Red car on picture is almost surely going out of the roundabout on next exit -

This is typical case of a roundabout with three lanes, which almost all the time functions like an one-lane roundabout. At least 30-50% of drivers make it so.
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #620
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Red car on picture is almost surely going out of the roundabout on next exit -

This is typical case of a roundabout with three lanes, which almost all the time functions like an one-lane roundabout. At least 30-50% of drivers make it so.
According to the rotors layout it is clear that it doesn’t have the straight and left arrows on the pavement. Suppose, it is the same with vertical signalisation. What position to take when approaching if you want to go straight on or to the left? This rotor’s design is very dangerous for new drivers and drivers who never drove on this type of junctions. There are a lot of things that could be improved on the showed one.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by geor; February 28th, 2012 at 10:13 PM.

Tags
ideas