daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #621
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1594

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradephoric View Post
Here's an example of how heavy pedestrian traffic can create gridlock inside of the roundabout. This is a partial 3-lane roundabout constructed next to a high school in Kitchener, Ontario Canada.

For probably 30 minutes out of the day (15 minutes during school let in, and 15 minutes during school let out) the roundabout loses its effectiveness. Here's another video about this particular roundabout dealing with pedestrian safety:
The solution is as easy as placing an on-demand traffic light that turns green for pedestrians once the button is pushed and after waiting several seconds so that more pedestrians pass together.
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #622
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
No, Belgians have indicators as well. They may not always use them, but I've definitly seen indicators on Belgian cars.

RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:05 PM   #623
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Red car on picture is almost surely going out of the roundabout on next exit -

This is typical case of a roundabout with three lanes, which almost all the time functions like an one-lane roundabout. At least 30-50% of drivers make it so.
This is just lazy roundabout design though. It's more than 2-lanes wide, so the lanes should be spiralling rather than concentric.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:28 PM   #624
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Red car on picture is almost surely going out of the roundabout on next exit -

This is typical case of a roundabout with three lanes, which almost all the time functions like an one-lane roundabout. At least 30-50% of drivers make it so.
Its a bit of a silly design as the roundabout has 3 lanes, but there are only 2 turning lanes from each junction to get onto it...

Sheffield (UK) has several good examples of 3 lane roundabouts...

The junctions have atleast 3 turning lanes, but here you can see that one of the roads has 4 lanes, the ones closest to the left is for left turns only with the other 3 directed for the roundabout only...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:45 AM   #625
tradephoric

Likes (Received): 24

That's a nice 3-lane roundabout in the UK! One thing i don't like about it is that the 4th left turn only lane seems to almost get squeezed out. Wonder if there are a lot of sideswipe accidents especially if there is a lot of large truck traffic. Do you think the left turn only lane adds a lot of capacity to the roundabout?
tradephoric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:41 PM   #626
geor

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
That's a nice 3-lane roundabout in the UK! One thing i don't like about it is that the 4th left turn only lane seems to almost get squeezed out. Wonder if there are a lot of sideswipe accidents especially if there is a lot of large truck traffic. Do you think the left turn only lane adds a lot of capacity to the roundabout?
The design of arrows on approaching lanes of roundabout is very dangerous and ambiguous. As i said before arrows have to be like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #627
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 1737

^ In Australia, and presumably the UK, those arrow designs would do more harm than good. What's already there makes far more sense.
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #628
tradephoric

Here's a nifty partial 3-lane roundabout in Metro Detroit:

I agree with Geor that a standard turn arrow is too ambiguous at a roundabout. Here's a closeup of the lane arrows used at this roundabout:

Old March 4th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #629
i15

Likes (Received): 613

great roundabout I hate those old multiple-lane roundabouts, where nobody uses inner lanes
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #630
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
^ In Australia, and presumably the UK, those arrow designs would do more harm than good. What's already there makes far more sense.
In continental EU the things are different than in keep to the left countries. In Croatia there are also some old roundabouts with no circle in the middle of the arrows, but we are aware of the negative aspect of that and hope to change them in near future.
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #631
geor

Quote:
Here's a nifty partial 3-lane roundabout in Metro Detroit:

I agree with Geor that a standard turn arrow is too ambiguous at a roundabout. Here's a closeup of the lane arrows used at this roundabout:

These are very nice pictures. That is what i wanted to draw. Thank you very much.
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #632
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
I've not really heard of any accidents related to that. I think the 4th lane just adds capacity for traffic that is waiting mostly. That junction does suffer from large ques. But the only thing that would solve that is a free flowing junction. Something that would never happen lol. Those roundabouts are large because the original design was for the ring road to continue under them in an underpass, the A61(M)

I <3 London
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #633
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 1737

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor View Post
In continental EU the things are different than in keep to the left countries. In Croatia there are also some old roundabouts with no circle in the middle of the arrows, but we are aware of the negative aspect of that and hope to change them in near future.
I think it's because in the left countries we say "continue straight the roundabout" whereas an American GPS would say "take the second exit at the roundabout." I really get confused by the navigation instructions when the second exit is not straight.
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #634
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1779

I think arrows are fine at standard 4-way roundabouts. Left, straight and right correspond to first, second and third exits respectively from the current location. Curly arrows add nothing and just look messy. Where the roundabout is more complex lane indications are provided by destinations, like V'RIA and K'DGE at Hyde Park Corner, nice and simple.

poshbakerloo: I don't think the left-most lane on your diagram is that bad - most people would go straight across the junction into the roundabout leaving plenty of room for left-turning traffic I'd imagine.
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #635
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
I've not really heard of any accidents related to that. I think the 4th lane just adds capacity for traffic that is waiting mostly. That junction does suffer from large ques. But the only thing that would solve that is a free flowing junction. Something that would never happen lol. Those roundabouts are large because the original design was for the ring road to continue under them in an underpass, the A61(M)
Lane marking quality is severely lacking in the UK though. Those four approach lanes will be very narrow, barely the width of a car, let alone a truck and its been made worse by providing hatching on the median splitter. The UK has an obsession with hatching - maybe there's a huge volcano spewing naturally occuring white thermoplastic that has to be got rid of somehow - hence the boys from the Stevie Wonder school of white lining are put to work straight away.

I'd much prefer the Detroit style markings - neat and simple. Why does the UK way of doing things have to look like the effort of a 5-year old?
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #636
tradephoric

A study was performed back in 2007 entitled "Traffic Control Devices Pooled Fund Study: Lane Restriction Signing and Marking for Double-Lane Roundabouts" which compared fishhook arrows to traditional arrows.

Their conclusion was:

"The results of the present study showed no evidence of the Traditional Arrows inducing wrong way rotation, or of the Fishhook Arrows reducing wrong way rotation. Neither scheme produced any wrong way rotation responses in 324 trials each."

Of course the study also states:

"During training, approximately 450 single-lane roundabouts were driven by the 90 research participants (about 5 roundabouts per participant). These training roundabouts were presented before the main experiment in order to accustom the research participants to navigating through roundabouts in a driving simulator...During training for the simulation, one research participant did initially attempt to drive the circulatory roadway in the wrong direction. This participant quickly recognized the mistake, backed up slightly, and proceeded around the circulatory roadway in the correct direction."

A study of 90 participants who were allowed to practice correctly navigating a roundabouts before the test begin doesn't seem like a significant study.
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #637
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
I think it's because in the left countries we say "continue straight the roundabout" whereas an American GPS would say "take the second exit at the roundabout." I really get confused by the navigation instructions when the second exit is not straight.
IMO it is most important how to get there. As I said, this English example create very dangerous situation for EU Continental drivers as this type of arrows can lead them to wrong direction. On the other hand, the USA arrows have no ambiguous meaning.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]For better understanding it is necessary to have additional similar vertical signs too

Last edited by geor; March 6th, 2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #638
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2654

I am from continental Europe and i don't go to try to do your example.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #639
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor View Post
IMO it is most important how to get there. As I said, this English example create very dangerous situation for EU Continental drivers as this type of arrows can lead them to wrong direction. On the other hand, the USA arrows have no ambiguous meaning.
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
I dnt see anyone trying to turn right on a UK roundabout unless they have a problem...

I <3 London
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #640
admirer of sir ALEX

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokromes View Post
I am from continental Europe and i don't go to try to do your example.
You are a special case. This doesn’t apply to you.
admirer of sir ALEX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas