daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2012, 04:20 PM   #721
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Might have something to do with traffic priority. With a lot of traffic turning left on such roundabout they don't have to wait before they canturn and go, but are given priority.

In what extend this helps? I don't know...
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:35 PM   #722
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19357

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
But aren't roundabouts built as obstacles or speed reducers these days? There are some built in my town for this purpose rather than improving traffic flow, i.e 90% of the traffic is going straight through the roundabout thus making it an obstacle. I predict a future where roundabouts will be overbuilt to obscurity in the name of traffic safety.
Yep, that's a trend in the Netherlands as well, especially on rural provincial highways where there are roundabouts every few kilometers nowadays. Highly annoying, especially for trucks. It can take a truck up to 800 meters to accelerate to 80 km/h again.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:49 PM   #723
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfpipesaur
How are those better than standard equal priority intersections?
Here in Italy we don't have equal priority intersections. In absence of roundabouts or traffic lights, there is always a road with the priority and the other with stop/give way sign.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM   #724
geor

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Here in Italy we don't have equal priority intersections. In absence of roundabouts or traffic lights, there is always a road with the priority and the other with stop/give way sign.

Italy is not exception.

I think there is a general traffic rule (in the World) at the intersection when there is no signals&traffic lights: RIGHT OF WAY FROM THE RIGHT SIDE
In UK and similar countries it is from the left.
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:34 PM   #725
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19357

priority to the right has also been abused as a traffic calming measure. It's not uncommon to have a through route having to give way to a minor road, which isn't very logical from a driver point of view. This is also where most accidents occur with priority issues.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:14 PM   #726
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor

Italy is not exception.

I think there is a general traffic rule (in the World) at the intersection when there is no signals&traffic lights: RIGHT OF WAY FROM THE RIGHT SIDE
This general rule exists in Italy too but since virtually all intersections have signs, it has little practical usage, except between two dirt roads in the countryside.
Even intersections with traffic lights have give way signs to be used when lights are out of service.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:20 PM   #727
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Same in Spain. There is a rule in our driving code that says that vehicles coming from the right have priority in an intersection, but all intersections have either a Stop or a give way sign.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM   #728
italystf

Probably those rules are left-overs from the first part of the XX century, before the mass motorization, when road signs didn't exist anywhere like today.
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #729
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

They still apply at all those intersections with 5+ branches, were only 2 have full priority and the rest must rely on the "right rule".

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #730
garethni

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor View Post

In Ireland it seems to be from the right too, despite driving on the left.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-f...junctions.html
garethni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #731
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9136

I think original source of the rule for the right side priority came from knights riding horses and is based on human's anatomy (heart on the left, usually stronger right arm) rather than on where people drive.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #732
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

I read on there that it's priority on the right the UK as well, although it's an unheard of rule.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #733
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Giving way to traffic from the right is something you learn for driving theory in the UK and it applies to most roundabouts. Essentially, joining traffic gives way to traffic already on the roundabout.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #734
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

I didn't study for the theory test. You do give way to the right on roundabouts, but roundabouts aren't 'normal' unsignalled junctions.

EDIT: I guess I did study it, I read the highway code over and over when I was little
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #735
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethni View Post
In Ireland it seems to be from the right too, despite driving on the left.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-f...junctions.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I read on there that it's priority on the right the UK as well, although it's an unheard of rule.
Yes, I had to ask that someone before I started driving in Australia (it's the same there).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #736
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethni View Post

Ridiculous!
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #737
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

And once again, another roundabout is being built in Huesca. And with this one we have... well, we have so many that I lost the count! . But the funniest fact is that this one is located in a bridge! More then.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #738
liburni
Pse Jo??

Likes (Received): 635

Prishtina, Kosovo

Old March 21st, 2013, 07:07 AM   #739
Verso
Islander

http://goo.gl/maps/YnSRF

Weirdest roundabout ever.

http://www.podvelka.si/novice/novica...STAVILI%20MLAJ
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:44 AM   #740
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yep, that's a trend in the Netherlands as well, especially on rural provincial highways where there are roundabouts every few kilometers nowadays. Highly annoying, especially for trucks. It can take a truck up to 800 meters to accelerate to 80 km/h again.
The worst about roundabouts is people treating a roundabout as a stop sign or going over them @ 15 km/h...

If people would just use them as intended they wouldn't slow down car traffic ( ignoring trucks) at all.

Most roundabouts in cities in NL can easily be taken at 45-50 km/h yet people slow down dramatically for them.

https://maps.google.nl/?ll=51.957463...71.23,,0,-1.58
For example, I drive that route daily, I leave an extra large gap with the car in front to hopefully not have to brake yet still end up having to slam my brake even though that roundabout can easily be done @ 40 km/h with the average car.
With cutting the inside a bit even 60 km/h is doable . Yes it's not extremely comfortable but even with 4 different types ditchfinder tyres on an ages old 1993 car in the wet 50 km/h will not make it skid if you go straight on the roundabout...

I'm all for roundabouts replacing traffic lights in low-medium traffic situations.
I'm very against roundabouts replacing regular right of way intersections outside of cities.

I like roundabouts personally, they keep traffic moving better than some crappy traffic lights which are bound to slow you down!

I wish The Netherlands used FAR more bypasses though for regular intersections with traffic lights and roundabouts! There is often more than enough space, especially on N roads!

Last edited by snowdog; March 21st, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas