daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #761
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

A reminder sign on a roundabout in Vipiteno/Sterzing:
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #762
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I was there the day before yesterday...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #763
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
You indicate only when you leave the roundabout, that's what the law says. It is enough if it's done properly.
Many people that got their license long time ago don't know this rule because roundabouts weren't virtually never used here until the 90s.

I do that almost all times. There are very few roundabouts where I don't turn the right indicator if I go straight on the main road. I know that it's technically wrong, but when the roundabout it's a small circle in the middle of a big road (with the side roads rarely used), turning the right indicator looks like you're turning right.
https://maps.google.it/maps?q=Lignan...iulia&t=h&z=19
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #764
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

I do this:

Rule 186 of the Highway Code.

riiga, Road_UK liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #765
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I do this:
The correct way. You'll get your like when I get on the ssc website later...

(android app doesn't allow it)
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #766
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
I do this:

That's what I do, except for getting in the inside part of the roundabout when going to the right, mainly because if there's too much traffic it can be hard to turn left to exit, and if there's an accident in that case the fault will always lie on the person who was quitting the roundabout.
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #767
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Forgive my ignorance - roundabouts are (thankfully) rare here - but (1) if someone ahead of me was about to enter a roundabout (in a country where that involves physically turning right) and simultaneously signaling left, my first thought would be "huh?". And (2) I'm not sure my car would even let me do that: If I hit the left signal and then turned right, I think that would automatically cancel the signal.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #768
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Roundabout fans, or non-fans, need to check out the latest posts on the Canadian thread right now....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #769
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

There are two 3-lane roundabouts in Ljubljana, nothing unusual, except that it might not be necessary (but I can imagine congestions). It's more interesting that one of them was the first roundabout in Slovenia, so we started quite complicated.

Quote:
I do this:
Good, except for the green car turning right indicator when entering the roundabout; I don't like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
That's what I do, except for getting in the inside part of the roundabout when going to the right, mainly because if there's too much traffic it can be hard to turn left to exit, and if there's an accident in that case the fault will always lie on the person who was quitting the roundabout.
Well, I hate such people. That's why you have the inner lane, not to block traffic trying to enter the roundabout.

Last edited by Verso; September 7th, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #770
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
I do this:

Why on Earth is the blue car signaling when entering the roundabout? He should do so only exiting.

EDIT: Sorry, I understand now that he signals only exiting. I just had troubles with the left-hand driving.

By the way, Road_UK, that's exactly what I said it's the correct way. Why did you say earlier that it was not, and now you agree? Or did I get it wrong?

RE-EDIT: I didn't see the green car signaling at the beginning. Gosh, I must be a bit confused.

Last edited by g.spinoza; September 7th, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #771
Road_UK
BANNED

I just had a few beers, I don't know anymore... 3 quarter left is indicate left until approaching exit, then indicate right. DanielFigFoz has posted a UK version, so obviously it's the other way round.
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #772
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Likes (Received): 649

blinking left when entering a roundabout seems strange to me. A roundabout is neither a kind of intersection nor something like a motorway. It's a special concept and you don't signal when entering so as not to confuse other drivers.
This might be different on Turborotondes, though as you are sorted to a special lane before entering it...
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #773
Road_UK
BANNED

Like I said... Germans and Austrians do not understand the concept of negotiating a roundabout properly. Someone once told me it's because it's a relatively new fenomenen...
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #774
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

My gf's studying to get her license, so I went and looked up in her book to see the Italian way. I found this: "there is no mention in Codice della Strada about roundabouts. Generally they have to be treated like any normal intersection, i.e. giving way to the right but in recent times a new approach, come from France, has surfaced, i.e. giving way to cars already in the roundabout. All must be supported by proper signage".

No mention of blinkers behavior, either.
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #775
Road_UK
BANNED

That explains a lot about Italian roundabouts. , I actually enjoy them. Always a challenge to mingle with traffic already on the roundabout. I see it in Turin and Milan all the time. Always a Fiat Panda about suddenly swerving from the inside straight to the exit right in front of hooting cars still going round...
Old September 7th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #776
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Forgive my ignorance - roundabouts are (thankfully) rare here - but (1) if someone ahead of me was about to enter a roundabout (in a country where that involves physically turning right) and simultaneously signaling left, my first thought would be "huh?". And (2) I'm not sure my car would even let me do that: If I hit the left signal and then turned right, I think that would automatically cancel the signal.
Yeah sometimes my car cancels it and I have to put it on again.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #777
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
My gf's studying to get her license, so I went and looked up in her book to see the Italian way. I found this: "there is no mention in Codice della Strada about roundabouts.
No mention of blinkers behavior, either.
Actually that's not wrong: IF the roundabout is built with all proper signage, then the Code already contains enough rules to deal with it.
It's just a matter of choosing the rule which best fits the case; of course this work of interpretation should be done by experts, and rendered to the general public in the form of simple how-to guides.

Abount blinkers, the Code says very few things: you must signal when turning at an intersection, and when changing lane (read it as: every time you cross a lane marking). And this is all you actually need to know! And I'll explain why.

A roundabout is not just a kind of intersection: it is in fact a short one-way road, with a number of roads terminating into it.
If lanes are drawn properly (which rarely happens), this concept is pretty self-explanatory:

That's why I use the motorway example: as motorway on- and off-ramps, lanes just merge in and diverge from the main one-way road.

What does the Code say about signalling? Signal every time you cross a lane marking. So it is, exactly as in motorways:
- left blinker when getting in, because you are merging towards left (your vehicle hits the dotted line with its left side)
- no blinker when travelling on the one-way road, because you are keeping in the same lane (no dotted line is crossed)
- right blinker when getting out, because you are diverging towards right (your vehicle hits the dotted line with its right side)

In real life, since too much blinking in a small spot can be confusing, I suggest to avoid left-blinking when getting into mini- to medium-sized roundabouts: when merging it's obvious where you're going.
But by no mean there is a need for keeping a blinker while inside it.
Right-signalling is then important to improve the flow, so we must insist on it.

The Code already tells how to cope with roundabouts, because they're not special intersections but just a different arrangement of existing design elements (already taken into account by the rules).
Our problem is not the lack of a new rule, it is to enforce those which already exist... and apply proper signage to road works.

PS: if you think about it, the usage of blinkers has nothing to do with the safety of traffic in a roundabout. The point is to always yield. If every driver gives the proper way, there is no risk of accidents; and this must be ensured through a fail-safe policy.
Signalling is actually useful just to improve the flow.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; September 8th, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #778
Iregua

Likes (Received): 70

I still remember what I was told when I was trying to get my B (car) license:

-If the roundabout is located inside a town, you should take the outer lane if you want to do 1 or 2 quarters, otherwise you should take the inner lane until the previous exit then move to the outer lane and leave.

-But, if the roundabout is outside a town, you should always take the outer lane unless you want to overtake someone.

The explanation is that roundabouts weren't considered a crossing but a circle-shaped street to which all the other streets have to yield. Then, inside a town, as in any other street, you must choose the most appropriate lane to your destination, and outside town, as in any other road, you must drive on the right except when overtaking.

But later, when I was trying to get my A (motorbike) license, I was told to always take the outer lane for "safety reasons" (?).

However, since I got my licenses I have always done what DanielFigFoz posted, no matter if I am driving a car or a motorbike inside or outside a town. From my experience, I find it much safer

EDIT:

I forgot to say that I always yield to BOTH inner and outer lanes even if I'm taking the first exit, because at least here in Spain you still can expect people to leave the roundabout directly from the inner lane withouth even using the right blinker. That makes me think that some roundabouts should have only one lane, as this one in the US:

Last edited by Iregua; September 8th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Iregua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #779
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

From the Canadian thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
A new 3 lane roundabout on Highway 406 in Welland has opened: http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2013/09...aws-spectators

Video of the highway... with a fail about 20 secs in on the roundabout:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
A three-lane roundabout? I find it horrifying that such a monstrosity exists on the same side of the Atlantic as me. I've just been looking at the roundabouts thread and the two-laners seem bad enough. I'll remember to avoid the area. (And why does a 400-series highway have roundabouts at all?)

And a "fail," you say? I don't have time to watch a 16-minute video right now, but you should post that in the roundabouts thread!

EDIT: I realized on rereading the "fail's" 20 seconds into the video, not 20 seconds into the roundabout, which I thought at first might be anywhere, so I did watch it.

Read the article too: love the idea of people setting up a tailgate party to watch it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I can't believe it. So much fuss about simple bloody roundabout

I loved some of the comments under the article in the local news.
People were basically expected the gates of hell to open and they are a bit surprised that the end of the world didn't happen

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 8th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #780
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

My response to the above:

I'm more a geography geek than a road geek (my interest in roads is in knowing where they go...) so I don't know the safety statistics and I'm sure there are people here who are prepared to tell me that I'm an idiot, but it just seems to be common sense that if you ask people to get into the left lane entering a roundabout because they're going 270 degrees, and then in a short time they're going to need to cross TWO lanes to make a right, you're just asking for trouble.

I have no trouble with one-lane roundabouts, even the sort of wide ones that permit you, if you're going to be taking the first exit, to sort of keep right from the start. I grew up in New Jersey, we've had that sort of thing since the 20s; we just call them traffic circles. But they're all reasonably big so Wilhem275's description of them as really just a series of separate intersections works. But this three-lane model just seems to be problematic. I have an urge to put traffic lights at every entrance to the roundabout so that those people who'll have to turn right from the left lane can do so safely, but that just defeats the purpose, doesn't it...?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
ideas