daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #801
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Ok, that explains it.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #802
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
If your exit is the first one, the concepts of "entering" and "leaving the roundabout" are pretty much the same thing
https://maps.google.it/maps?q=portog...,20.41,,1,4.66
Here, if you want to turn right, you should put the right indicator before entering the roundabout.

https://maps.google.it/maps?q=portog...53.14,,0,20.19
Here you may turn the right indicator just after entering the roundabout.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #803
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

I never use the left indicator when entering the roundabout, but I do sometimes use it when I'm already on it and am going to make a 3/4 turn or more. It shouldn't be necessary as the right indicator when going to exit should suffice, but I look at it as a further confirmation that I'm not going to exit straight without using my indicator.

I'm not much of a fan of regular double-lane roundabouts either, unless we're talking about those "turbo-roundabouts", which have proper lane markings that move outwards, much like that roundabout of Welland. Example of what I don't like: https://www.google.be/maps/preview#!..._04w!2e0&fid=5
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #804
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Since you enter a roundabout, which is a one-way street, using the blinkers when entering is non necessary.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #805
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
Even worse: http://goo.gl/maps/dF9qp.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #806
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Turboroundabouts would fit perfectly there... and in a lot of hideous 2-lane ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Since you enter a roundabout, which is a one-way street, using the blinkers when entering is non necessary.
Actually I don't agree with the general concept of not indicating when following a mandatory direction.

Leaving small roudabouts apart, whose spaces don't make all this blinking possible, we must keep in mind that signalling is a way to communicate not only with drivers, but to everyone on the road.
EG, in a urban intersection, there may be pedestrians who may not know how it works, and it's up to me telling them that I'm going to turn right instead of going straight (so they don't cross my path carelessly).

Following the "one-way" rule, we shouldn't even signal when entering the motorway, since it's obvious where we're going...

The law, at least in Italy, is simple: signal every time you turn (> change road) and every time you change lane (> cross a dotted line). No exceptions are contemplated

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #807
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Using the blinkers is useful to disambiguate. I can go here, or I can go there. I fail to see the point in signaling when going the only possible way I can go. I'm not saying it is wrong, it's just redundant.

Signaling while entering the motorway is a bit different: it is useful to let people in the motorway know WHEN I want to merge. I can decide to use up all the acceleration lane, so I signal later than if I choose to merge at the beginning of it.

Last edited by g.spinoza; September 9th, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #808
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

roundabout, Filipino style (10 lanes)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer, Verso liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #809
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Roundabout rail overpass in London, Canada.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #810
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Something similar in Lepizig:
https://maps.google.ch/?hl=en&ll=51....02411&t=k&z=19

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old September 9th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #811
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

I don't understand this do/don't signal debate at all. Signaling is on roundabouts is just as normal as at other intersections.
If I am entering a roundabout and exiting right, then I signal right. If I am going straight then I dont signal at first but then signal right at the point I am exiting (this lets traffic entering the roundabout see that I am exiting). If I'm going left then I signal left and then signal right at the exit point (this shows traffic entering at 2 points what I am doing. One will have to wait while the other can enter the roundabout). Perfectly logical and curtious. Drivers that don't signal irritate me. They bugger up the flow with traffic waiting unnecessarily.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #812
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
And something similar in Rosmalen, The Netherlands
https://maps.google.nl/maps?q=+&hl=n...05284&t=h&z=18
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #813
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Roundabout rail overpass in London, Canada.

Snowing already?!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #814
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Using the blinkers is useful to disambiguate. I can go here, or I can go there. I fail to see the point in signaling when going the only possible way I can go. I'm not saying it is wrong, it's just redundant.

Signaling while entering the motorway is a bit different: it is useful to let people in the motorway know WHEN I want to merge. I can decide to use up all the acceleration lane, so I signal later than if I choose to merge at the beginning of it.
My driving school teacher used to say that it's mandatory to signal when you change lane or you merge, but not when you turn at an intersection with only a direction allowed (you may or may not signal). At roundabouts we were forced to signal right before exiting (NOT signaling right when entering and NOT signaling left while skipping an exit).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #815
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
I don't understand this do/don't signal debate at all. Signaling is on roundabouts is just as normal as at other intersections.
If I am entering a roundabout and exiting right, then I signal right. If I am going straight then I dont signal at first but then signal right at the point I am exiting (this lets traffic entering the roundabout see that I am exiting). If I'm going left then I signal left and then signal right at the exit point (this shows traffic entering at 2 points what I am doing. One will have to wait while the other can enter the roundabout). Perfectly logical and curtious. Drivers that don't signal irritate me. They bugger up the flow with traffic waiting unnecessarily.
There is not such things like "going straight", "turning right" or "turning left" at a roundabout. There's only entering the roundabout and exiting it somewhere. How do you determine what it's straight, right or left in a roundabout where 5 or 6 roads merge (instead of the usual 4 or 3)?
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #816
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

The same indication principles apply as the example I gave above (for a standard roundabout without traffic lights and yielding from the entry points. In the case a standard 4 point roundabout....which is about 90% of roundabouts). At a 5 or more point roundabout where I would be exiting at, lets say the 4th point, then I would indicate as per the example for going left (left indicator and then right at the exit).
Are you familiar with roundabouts?
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #817
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Probably half of EU roundabouts are here

What I don't understand is the advantage of signalling you're staying in. The fact itself that you are already in is enough to give way to you; unless you signal otherwise (right), in which case traffic flow can get in faster.

Old September 10th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #818
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
My driving school teacher used to say that it's mandatory to signal when you change lane or you merge, but not when you turn at an intersection with only a direction allowed (you may or may not signal).
That's a bad rule actually. Drivers or pedestrians might not see the sign that forces you to turn and therefore don't know that you are turning.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com

Wilhem275 liked this post
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #819
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Probably half of EU roundabouts are here

What I don't understand is the advantage of signalling you're staying in. The fact itself that you are already in is enough to give way to you; unless you signal otherwise (right), in which case traffic flow can get in faster.
People don't always indicate when exiting roundabouts. You never quite know where you stand. Indicating left doing 3-quarters gives an extra security, and people waiting to enter will be well prepared. Like I said before, this system actually works in countries where it's common.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #820
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
The same indication principles apply as the example I gave above (for a standard roundabout without traffic lights and yielding from the entry points. In the case a standard 4 point roundabout....which is about 90% of roundabouts). At a 5 or more point roundabout where I would be exiting at, lets say the 4th point, then I would indicate as per the example for going left (left indicator and then right at the exit).
Are you familiar with roundabouts?
When you are circling around a roundabout you're keeping your road so no need to signaling. When you exit a roundabout you change road so you need to signal. It's like signaling left at every motorway exit to signal that you don't exit there.

Tags
ideas