daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #861
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I never saw a TR in real life
Go to Koper, it's the world capital of turbo roundabouts outside Netherlands.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #862
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Among the pieces of information I picked up at the Quebec travel information center* after I crossed the border: a pamphlet put out by the provincial government on how to drive at roundabouts.

*or "centre," even in English Canadian usage

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #863
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Brazil, a picture from the photography forum here at skyscrapercity

Old September 29th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #864
OmI92
Skyscrapercity Addict

Likes (Received): 53014

Roundabout in Lahore, Pakistan

image hosted on flickr

----------------------

blogger/devconspak
OmI92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #865
bogdymol
bogdymod

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #866
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

I think the American 4 way stop that's out in the rural areas and outer suburbs is quite dangerous. In fact, that's one of the biggest points I remember being made in Driver's Ed. Roundabouts (with one lane only) are a good replacement.

But at bigger, more urban intersections, I think traffic lights are better than roundabouts. Once there's more than one lane involved, there's much higher chance for collisions on roundabouts.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #867
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Roundabouts are hard to fit into existing urbanized areas because they require more space than a 4-way stop.

4-way stops are inefficient because you need to stop at every intersection regardless of traffic, but if you turn it into a priority road people will just zoom across the intersection, which is dangerous.

I don't recall ever seeing a 4-way stop in Europe, do they exist over here? It's mostly intersections with priority to the right.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #868
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
But at bigger, more urban intersections, I think traffic lights are better than roundabouts. Once there's more than one lane involved, there's much higher chance for collisions on roundabouts.
There are more accidents at roundabouts, but those accidents are not as severe as those on traffic light intersections. Because the roundabout makes you slow down. It's fairly easily possible to drive over lots of traffic light controlled intersections at 160 km/h (100 mph) but you simply can't do that at a roundabout. Unless you want to be catapulted into the air...
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #869
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't recall ever seeing a 4-way stop in Europe, do they exist over here? It's mostly intersections with priority to the right.
They are very rare, but I saw a thread about them over at a Swedish forum. I'll see if I can find a few examples from there.

EDIT: Swedish examples.
http://goo.gl/maps/vAH98
http://goo.gl/maps/0i0aI
http://goo.gl/maps/00Le9
http://goo.gl/maps/EF6QY
http://goo.gl/maps/gNrZt
http://goo.gl/maps/9v88c
http://goo.gl/maps/MnUmO
http://goo.gl/maps/nN6bJ

Last edited by riiga; October 14th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #870
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Priority to the right applies in 4-way stops as well. I've seen a few such intersections in Slovenia, but I don't remember where.
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #871
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

a "turbo" one , from spain
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #872
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

That's a tight location for a turbo roundabout. Can a truck make a left turn there?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #873
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Roundabouts are hard to fit into existing urbanized areas because they require more space than a 4-way stop.
Not necessarily.

This is a mini roundabout. They are as common as anything else in the UK. You can of course drive over them, often you do not have a choice. But it clearly signals who has priority, and in these manners it works as a proper roundabout. I think it's well thought through.

Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #874
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I consider that a 4-way stop, just with reversed priority (which I actually prefer!).

Those things would not need to be classifed as roundabouts, if only we could move from the concept of "give way to who comes from your right (left for UK)", which is often inefficient and unsafe.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #875
Road_UK
BANNED

Well, in the UK they are classed as roundabouts. In fact they are roundabouts, and it works better than four way stops or priority from the right (UK left) as you always slow down before roundabouts anyway. Believe me, this system works and I'm surprised they aren't any outside the UK and Ireland.
Old October 15th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #876
Road_UK
BANNED

I also want to add that obviously it is very important that you indicate when going left or right at these mini roundabouts. Even more important than indicating when exiting, which becomes pretty pointless on a roundabout that size, unless you go one quarter. Going straight ahead would require no indicating and going 3 quarters right (uk) means indicator right.
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #877
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I agree on that and I believe it works fine.

What happens if two vehicles are coming from opposite roads, and both have to turn 3/4? They turn around the center (as required by roundabouts) or skip each other on their left side (as in common intersections)? Or maybe one of them will just wait.

Basically I'd keep the thing just the way it works, without the signage of roundabouts (and keeping of course the yield signs), you still would have to slow down (due to yield signs + poor visibility).
My point is not to criticize this design, it's just part of a general theory I have about giving way to the right (UK left*). If we had that rule changed, this sort of tiny interserctions would still work the way they do, without calling them roundabouts.

* We must find a general way to describe it. Let's say today's rule is "Give way to the passenger side" and I'd like it changed to "Give way to the driver's side".

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #878
Road_UK
BANNED

These two vehicles will have to work it out amongst themselves. In good British tradition they'll probably be standing there forever to give way to each other.

In Britain there's no such thing as priority from the left. If there are no roundabouts or traffic lights, there'll be signs telling you to give way. Traffic on major roads always has priority. Again, I find the British system safer and easier.
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #879
Verso
Islander

Don't you give way to the right in the UK? I think that's the case in Australia.
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #880
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Don't you give way to the right in the UK? I think that's the case in Australia.
Only on roundabouts. If the European system was being followed we'd have to give way to the left, but that's not the case.

Tags
ideas