daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2016, 11:55 PM   #1021
bgdimitrov

Likes (Received): 5462

Since the render image of the roundabout seems to have sparked a lot of discussion, I will post another image (daytime) of how it actually turned out. The roundabout is relatively busy, especially at rush hour. The majority of the public transport of the city passes through the roundabout as well. What is now much better than before is that there is no longer the need for drivers to look out for pedestrians. Prior to this it was common for jams to occur due to pedestrians crossing and vehicles having to wait inside the roundabout.

bgdimitrov no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2016, 02:55 AM   #1022
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Show me your aprons!

In recent years many Italian cities built a sh!tload of roundabouts, especially in urban areas, mostly to replace traffic lights (which IMHO were often just poorly timed, but that's another story).

As everybody knows, inside Italian cities space is often a problem, so many of these new roundabouts were designed with a very small diameter. Now, the problem that comes with small diameters is that the tail of long vehicles will need a lot of extra space to cut the curve.
What comes with this, is that the apron (the part of inner ring for truck manoeuvres) is unusually wide compared to the proper drivable area.
But this would not be a big deal, if properly realized.

The problem is that Italian cities always had the bad habit of not actually drawing intersections: just dump a field of tarmac, put a stop sign somewhere, and job done. Cities don't have the culture of designing precise guidance thorugh intersections.
The same applies to roundabouts: there is no distinction between the apron and the actual lane, just a load of tarmac.
The obvious result, in a place where the average driver is constantly looking for the tightest apex, is that cars will drive using a much smaller circle, and drivers proceeding straight will often just cut through it.

This is an example of how a properly designed apron completely disappeared in the real building:

As you can see, a 24 m roundabout is then used as a mere 16 m one, while all the surrounding elements were designed for a different setup. A car can clearly cut all corners and floor it through the whole thing.

Almost all Italian roundabouts show the same issue. And when the apron is present, it's often vastly undersized or marked so poorly that all cars will drive at speed over it.

I want to propose changes to this situation. And since my fellow drivers will drive over their own mothers if there isn't a tall wall surrounding them*, aprons need to be as much as undrivable as they can be.

So, please show me your examples of the most violent, badass, cars-destroying aprons you know of
I want to see how tall and aggressive these structures can be before ruining or rolling over trucks and buses

*seriously: you can mark and draw and signal the hell you want, but if they can physically put wheels over something, they will drive through it. You must guide them like trains.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 02:57 AM   #1023
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

is it problem though?
I mean, is there dead people? :P
Old October 26th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #1024
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Deadly accidents are rare on roundabouts, due to generally low speeds. However, larger roundabouts are generally safer than smaller ones, that's why they try to make them big where there's enough room.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #1025
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Your sentence contradicts itself. If low speeds are the key to safety then smaller roundabouts should be safer than bigger ones...
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 09:16 PM   #1026
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

No, because if they're really small they're basically a dot in the middle of the intersection you don't have to slow down for, if they're bigger you have to make a turn so you have to slow down.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #1027
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Your sentence contradicts itself. If low speeds are the key to safety then smaller roundabouts should be safer than bigger ones...
It should be clarified as "actually larger roundabouts" are safer. A wide but narrow ring means sharp corners with the feeding roads, forcing to slow down.
If the roundabout is wide but drivable in the middle like a small one, it carries the defects of the small one (no real obstacle when going straight) and of wide lanes (poor feeling of speed).

Here some good examples:

Most Dutch roundabouts have a large diameter, but traffic is not allowed to cut through the ring, so they work safely.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Rebasepoiss liked this post
Old October 26th, 2016, 11:12 PM   #1028
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Many Dutch roundabouts have the same dimensions on a 30 or 50 km/h urban street as on an 80 km/h provincial road. In my opinion they should allow a higher design speed (more driving comfort) on rural roundabouts with no bicycle paths present.

Some provincial roads are riddled with roundabouts and semi trucks in particular often need up to a kilometer to regain speed. Gelderland province in particular has way too many roundabouts on provincial roads in areas with no motorways or other high-speed roads.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 01:45 PM   #1029
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
It should be clarified as "actually larger roundabouts" are safer. A wide but narrow ring means sharp corners with the feeding roads, forcing to slow down.
If the roundabout is wide but drivable in the middle like a small one, it carries the defects of the small one (no real obstacle when going straight) and of wide lanes (poor feeling of speed).

Most Dutch roundabouts have a large diameter, but traffic is not allowed to cut through the ring, so they work safely.
OK, I see what you mean

That being said, you can make a small roundabout that forces drivers to slow down as well. One example. In this case you can drive over the middle but you really don't want to. The exit speed is theoretically lower than entry speed (ideally it should be the other way round) but the roundabout is so small that you have to brake before entering it anyway.

Edit: spelling.

Wilhem275 liked this post

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; October 28th, 2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old October 28th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #1030
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
OK, I see what you mean

That being said, you can make a small roundabout that forces drivers to slow down as well. One example. In this case you can drive over the middle but you really don't want to. In this case the exit speed is theoretically lower than entry speed (ideally it should be the other way round) but the roundabout is so small that you have to break before entering it anyway.
I can assure you that, in Italy, that roundabout would be treated by the vast majority of drivers as "non-existent".
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #1031
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Most people drive around, but I just drive over this.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #1032
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
That being said, you can make a small roundabout that forces drivers to slow down as well. One example. In this case you can drive over the middle but you really don't want to.
Yep, that is the concept, but as Spinoza said: an apron that high is not not even perceived by Italian drivers.
I'm still looking for something much, much more badass something that under 15 km/h gives high discomfort, and over 15 will easily ruin a car.

Basically, I need the equivalent of a car trap:

image hosted on flickr

The tricky part is that it must work on a tight curve. All these work well because the bus will reach them straight and you are sure of the wheels position; in a roundabout there's no sure position.
The matter is to find the taller obstacle that can be overridden sideways by bus and trucks tyres with no damage (at very low speed, which they will have anyway).

Last edited by Wilhem275; October 28th, 2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old October 28th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #1033
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I'm still looking for something much, much more badass something that under 15 km/h gives high discomfort, and over 15 will easily ruin a car.
Umm, I'm not sure what you're looking for. If you drive over flowers in my example, your car won't like it.
Old October 28th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #1034
Rebasepoiss

Yup, something like that would be a better solution for countries where traffic laws aren't followed that strictly. In Estonia, however, one of the things all road engineers have to think about is: how do you plow snow here? Car traps like shown above (1, 3, 4) wouldn't work at all for that reason.
Old October 28th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #1035
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Yup, I can only imagine dealing with such a quantity of snow...

The traces here tell us that many just drive straight through that thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Umm, I'm not sure what you're looking for. If you drive over flowers in my example, your car won't like it.
Flowers won't like it either the problem is that a truck would be damaged as well.
What I need is a compromise.

It's also a visual issue. Take the first example i posted: in a small roundabout, a proper apron is way bigger than the car lane itself. Not only the apron should have an aggressive ring, it should also be filled with a non-regular surface (something that says "Hey, I'm not meant for driving").

Old October 28th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #1036
Verso
Islander

This one.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old October 29th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #1037
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Now we're serious
At the moment, it's the main solution I had in mind. The angle of those curbs seems to be the best compromise.
I'd even try a second layer of that, let's say 1 m smaller than the first ring (to scream "Really, don't think about it!").

Yet again, this last example is another case in which the paved area is WAY bigger than what is needed, even for trucks.

Old October 29th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #1038
Verso
Islander

http://static.primorske.si/foto/lowr...0-krozisce.jpg

Old June 4th, 2017, 08:46 PM   #1039
tradephoric

Likes (Received): 24

Roundabout Safety:

bogdymol, gumel liked this post