daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #121
dubart
HAL9001

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Whats so special about it,apart from the integrated right-turning lane? I dont see anytihing special about it...or there are no yield signs at the entrances?
You should try it once
Crazy Zagreb drivers speeding like 120 km/h and people scared of them together in a roundabout... A mess, believe me.
dubart no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #122
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkhen View Post
Are there any roundabouts in the USA?
There are not a lot, but they are starting to catch on BIG TIME in several states. Here, the State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation is now requiring that roundabouts be studied for all new/rebuilt intersections under their control that would otherwise call for signals and/or all-way STOP signs (the all-way STOP sign style of intersection control does not exist in Europe).

For example, the pending rebuild of the US 41 freeway/motorway in the Green Bay, WI area will include 24 roundabouts at the intersections at and around its street interchanges.

Here in Appleton, WI, the College Ave/John St/Walter Ave intersection at the east end of the College Ave bridge over the Fox River:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...cl=1&encType=1
and:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...7221&encType=1
('street' level is about 25 meters above the river and that football field is set into a deep ravine)
will be a two-lane roundabout when the new replacement bridge is completed later this year. The former two-lane bridge is being replaced with a four-lane structure and that complex intersection at its east end would have cost over $500K more and required the taking of six additional houses had they gone with a conventional signalized intersection.

Roundabouts are becoming increasingly common throughout the state and once the locals get used to them, they become very popular (there has been a lot of the 'fear of the unknown' factor at work here regarding roundabouts).

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #123
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
(the all-way STOP sign style of intersection control does not exist in Europe).
In Sweden, they do. They're called "flervägsstopp" but are only found in residential areas with low traffic volumes.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #124
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotdaliney View Post
"Today there are approximately 10,000 modern roundabouts in the United Kingdom, 15,000 in Australia and 20,000 in France. The modern roundabout is also popular in South Africa, Israel, and New Zealand."
http://www.azdot.gov/CCPartnerships/...outs/index.asp
There is quite some difference between a "modern roundabout" and those annoying miniroundabouts that dot the whole of the UK. Counting them too would soon change the numbers I don't doubt. It would be interesting to see whether or not they've included traffic-light roundabouts in the list too.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #125
muc

Likes (Received): 38

In Germany traffic planners regarded roundabouts as an alien concept for a long time. They preferred to plaster the country with traffic lights.

Apparently at some time around 1990 they found out that roundabouts have advantages in many cases. So now more and more are getting built and traffic light crossings are being replaced. But by far not as consistently as they have done it in France.

I love how you can drive through some towns in France without seeing a single traffic light. Except maybe for a few pedestrian crossings.
muc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #126
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10389

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkhen View Post
Are there any roundabouts in the USA?
Massachusetts has a lot of roundabouts, but they call them "rotaries".

Most of them are small, but here is a pic of a larger one.

[IMG]http://i39.************/2ez6adx.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.eot.state.ma.us/methuenro...%20Cropped.jpg

My parents and I went to Boston and had to go on one of these, they were scared to death!
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #127
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

I'm afraid of using the inner lanes on multi-lane roundabouts. I dont really know why,because even if other drivers make me skip my exit,I can just go around again...
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #128
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2652

Quote:
Originally Posted by CborG View Post
Step aside for the Turbo roundabout!

¿You can't do U turn here no?

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #129
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Nope.

Such roundabouts need clear overhead signage.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #130
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

How about this for a bad roundabout. The traffic builds up on the south entry because cars can speed up too much along the bottom and you can't see the exit signs until it is too late, added to that the railway along the top is a huge brick viaduct so you cannot really see what is going on.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #131
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This one always gives problems, because most traffic from the right (east) goes south, taking the roundabout 3/4ths. That means they are at some speed, and traffic from the left (west) cannot enter without a speedy acceleration, which is impossible for trucks.
[IMG]http://i40.************/11scbrl.jpg[/IMG]
and what about a flyoverabout?

roundabout is NOT for this volume...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #132
H123Laci
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
I'm afraid of using the inner lanes on multi-lane roundabouts. I dont really know why,because even if other drivers make me skip my exit,I can just go around again...
maybe because its hard to change lane outward in a curve...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #133
ChrisZwolle
Road user

60.000 to the east, 40.000 to the south and 30.000 to the west. An unknown number to the north (Joure).
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #134
enschede-r

Likes (Received): 0

A roundabout in Enschede (netherlands):

enschede-r no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #135
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 372

Weblog about roundabouts (in Dutch) with many pictures

http://rondjes.skynetblogs.be/
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #136
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

Some great architecture inside the roundabout out there...

In Slovakia roundabouts in the cities/towns has been built mostly during the last 20 years. In urban areas they were before more like exception.

The biggest radius has Moldavská/Alejova one in Košice:

As an example for other ones could be this one in Žilina

Last edited by Timoth12; June 18th, 2009 at 09:51 PM.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #137
Republica
BUND

I remember after struggling to work out why we were having so much trouble navigating german cities, we crossed a small bridge over to france and immediately in front of us was a roundabout. And suddenly it clicked in my brain that we couldnt do U turns in germany when we had gone wrong!

It is bizarre how France had UK have so many, and spain also has some ot a lesser extent, but i have never driven on a roundabout in Germany.
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #138
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Germany does have roundabouts, but not on such a large scale as France, Netherlands or United Kingdom.

I wouldn't say Germany has few roundabouts, I have driven on numerous roundabouts in Germany, but not as much as other roundabout-countries.
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #139
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Roundabout in Prishtina currently under construction and will be finished in 2011... It is planned that in the near future the tracks going under the roundabout will be train tracks.

shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #140
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Wouldn't it be more cost-efficient to place the roundabout at ground level and the roads (and later train tracks) go over the roundabout?

They've done something similar a couple of towns away from where I live and it is annoying to first go up a hill and then quickly looking whether or not a car is coming on the roundabout or not... At ground-level, it's easier to see that in advance in my opinion.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas