daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > About the forums > Archive

Archive For threads worth keeping

Old September 14th, 2005, 12:17 AM   #21
arash

Likes (Received): 0

This is 1 of many highrises going on in Iran

and this tower is 1 of the tallest in the world when finished 4th tallest to be correct
arash no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old September 14th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #22
D_Y2k.2^

Likes (Received): 93

wau,this tower is pretty good.Looks so similar to KL Tower!Height is similar too!Also,its gonna surpass KL tower.Btw,how long has this tower being building?I thought i heard bout it many years back.

Old September 14th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #23
deep sea buildings

i'm sure this tower started construction in 1999 but i am not certain of that. it wasn't 2003 as i've followed it since being a member on this board (2002). i'm starting to think this tower will never get completed.

there seems to be differing of opinion on this one and my personal opinion is that the tower is unispired and it's not great architecture, but lets face it, this tower will be to terhan what the eiffel tower is to paris. it will be iconic for that region!

it's a bit of a mystery as to why exactly iran has built this tower though? i mean - whats the point of going up over 300 meters to look down at tehran's 10-20meter high concrete slums for as far as the eye can see? like someone said maybe iran should consider its infrastructure and social problems before building mega structures that its people can hardly afford and nobody will visit! this almost reminds me of north korea's ryugyong hotel project in pyongyang - another pointless mega structure that was never completed!
deep sea buildings no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #24
Gilgamesh

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep sea buildings
i'm sure this tower started construction in 1999 but i am not certain of that. it wasn't 2003 as i've followed it since being a member on this board (2002). i'm starting to think this tower will never get completed.
Yes but it was on hold bc of problems with it's fondation til -03

Quote:
whats the point of going up over 300 meters to look down at tehran's 10-20meter high concrete slums for as far as the eye can see? like someone said maybe iran should consider its infrastructure and social problems before building mega structures that its people can hardly afford and nobody will visit! this almost reminds me of north korea's ryugyong hotel project in pyongyang - another pointless mega structure that was never completed!
I seriously I don't recommend you make comments without knowing what you are talking about. First of all what concrete slums? Maybe you are refering to the shahrake qarb complex which is near the milad, that's just one neighbourhood, that's not how all of Tehran looks like

You are right to say that Iran have social and political issues, and it really need's a regime change. But that's no reason not to build new towers and you are right again when you say that Iran needs to improve it's infrastructure and that's just what we are doing with this new telecommunication tower.

Iran has a GDP of $516.7 billion (2004 est.) that's more than the UAE or any other middle eastern country so Iran can certainly afford this and so much more than this

And i don't know why you say no one will afford to visit it?

Maybe you think Tehran is like Pyongyang and that's why you are comparing it with Pyongyang all the time?

Well then it's definitly time that you change your view about Tehran.
Gilgamesh no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #25
Qatar4Ever

not pretty not ugly.. wouldnt spend more than 2 seconds examing the pic.. has nothing really new to offer.. im sure iran has better archi
Qatar4Ever no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:49 PM   #26
Gilgamesh

Milad Tower to Become Tehran Symbol

www.shana.com, Daily, May. 15th, 2005

The newly built 435 meter Milad Tower is predicted to replace the long-time symbol of Tehran, the Azadi tower. Experts are also suggesting for the registration of the Tower as an Iranian national heritage. Experts believe that the new tower will one day replace the today symbol of the capital of Iran, the Azadi Tower. They say it will take some time for people to get accustomed to the structure, gradually accepting it as the new symbol of Tehran metropolitan.

The new concrete structure of Milad Tower which stands up 435 meter high on Gisha Hills of Tehran is reaching its final phase and will soon be completed.

The Tower is considered the forth highest communication-broadcasting tower of the world and the first considering the vast functional structure on its top.

Azadi Tower did not become the symbol of the capital by advertising or any special plans, explains a preservation expert, Eskandar Mokhtari, but rather by peoples’ affection for the tower. “They stood next to the tower and took pictures, and those who traveled to Tehran from other provinces talked of the special tower in their return home,” said Mokhtari.

Mokhtari believes that Milad Tower will undergo the same process, in time becoming the new symbol of Tehran. Milad Tower which can be seen from any place in Tehran is located in a 70-hectare land, 17 of which is possessed by the tower and the rest will be given to a future five-star international hotel, an international communication center, conference halls, an information technology and commercial center, plus a museum allocated to the legacy of Iran.

According to executive manager of the Yademan Sazeh Company which is in charge of constructing the tower, Mohammadhasan Nazarpour, the project is not only going to include tourist facilities, but also is to replace the Azadi Tower as the symbol of the Iranian capital. It is moreover proof of the Iranian engineers and scientists’ expertise.

Azadi Tower has long been known as the symbol of the Iranian capital, but despite its being registered as a national heritage and having the special attention of the Iranian Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization (ICHTO), today it breathes heavily amidst the Azadi Square traffic jam, air pollution, and improper maintenance.

Old September 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #27
arash

Quote:

there seems to be differing of opinion on this one and my personal opinion is that the tower is unispired and it's not great architecture, but lets face it, this tower will be to terhan what the eiffel tower is to paris. it will be iconic for that region!

it's a bit of a mystery as to why exactly iran has built this tower though? i mean - whats the point of going up over 300 meters to look down at tehran's 10-20meter high concrete slums for as far as the eye can see? like someone said maybe iran should consider its infrastructure and social problems before building mega structures that its people can hardly afford and nobody will visit! this almost reminds me of north korea's ryugyong hotel project in pyongyang - another pointless mega structure that was never completed!

LOOL i think Freedom for 1 should show you some pictures of the MASSIVE and i am talking about MASSIVE skylines going on around Tehran and Iran

You dont now anything no offence but if you look at the threads we have posted about Tehran you will see what a modern and beatiful and specially full of skylines it is ..

Please dont make remarks like this because there is not enough iranians in here to show you the beatiful cities of iran..?

But you are way off your line My dear friend
arash no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #28
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 90

Tehran surprised me... everyone thinks its a city full of shacks, but after looking your pics its a modern vibrant and free city! Love it!

Also, we are awesome architects - www.sportsport.ee
ch1le no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #29
Naga_Solidus

Likes (Received): 2

it many not be much more than height atm, but the geometric details on the top around the gondola will really add a lot and make this tower more unique once the whole thing is finished
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #30
deep sea buildings

i just wanted to add that i've never visited tehran but i've seen the pictures on google and the pics here and it looks like a city of crumbling concrete shells. i also know someone who stayed there with the red crescent for six weeks. this person told me that tehran and it's people are living in the dark ages. as a foreigner he was often followed by the secret police and questioned (he once payed them to stop himself being arrested for no reason). he said there were public executions, although often outside of terhan itself (just look at the recent and notorius case of those two teenagers executed without trial for being gay). considering it's a capital city he said that tehran was shockingly corrupt and many of it's people were living in very desperate circumstances. it was the worse place he'd ever had to endure and he could not wait to leave and get back into the UK. infact he requested to leave the red crescent early has he felt very unsafe inside iran. his exact words were 'i only had to endure 6 weeks, imagine the people who have to spend their whole lives there'

so whoever said it was "a modern vibrant and free city" should maybe visit the place and see for themselves.

all i'm saying is that iran (like north korea) needs to get it's prorites right and bring itself into the 21st century before spending millions upon millions building huge towers and the likes. invest the money into good roads, housing, jobs, health care, education, human rights (not wrongs), and feeding your people, etc, before wasting it on such things as nuclear weapons.
deep sea buildings no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #31
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 90

/\ sounds like your friend is a complete ****...

And like you said, before making assumptions like that... go visit it for yourself! LOL

Also, we are awesome architects - www.sportsport.ee
ch1le no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #32
Gilgamesh

Quote:
i just wanted to add that i've never visited tehran but i've seen the pictures on google and the pics here and it looks like a city of crumbling concrete shells. i also know someone who stayed there with the red crescent for six weeks. this person told me that tehran and it's people are living in the dark ages. as a foreigner he was often followed by the secret police and questioned (he once payed them to stop himself being arrested for no reason). he said there were public executions, although often outside of terhan itself (just look at the recent and notorius case of those two teenagers executed without trial for being gay). considering it's a capital city he said that tehran was shockingly corrupt and many of it's people were living in very desperate circumstances. it was the worse place he'd ever had to endure and he could not wait to leave and get back into the UK. infact he requested to leave the red crescent early has he felt very unsafe inside iran. his exact words were 'i only had to endure 6 weeks, imagine the people who have to spend their whole lives there'
I don't know when your friend visited Tehran, but things change
If your friend visited Tehran pre-2000 then it really doesnt matter bc it have definitly changed

And i wonder what pix you have seen here with Tehrans concrete slums?
Cus the reality is that there are only two areas which have concrete buildings, Shahrake Qarb and Ekbatan and they both can be seen in these threads, and they are no where near the concrete slums found in some e.european cities.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=255272
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=226146

Quote:
so whoever said it was "a modern vibrant and free city" should maybe visit the place and see for themselves.
Maybe you should

Quote:
all i'm saying is that iran (like north korea) needs to get it's prorites right and bring itself into the 21st century before spending millions upon millions building huge towers and the likes.
There you go again comparing Iran with North Korea. The "iranian" government will not bring itself to the 21 century, it must go away completley, but that will happen through political actions and has nothing to do with this thread which is about the Milad Tower.
This isn't the first tower in Tehran either if you think that so.

I mean the situation isnt much diffrent from the Saudi government, they are also politically backwarded, but that doesnt mean they arent building towers.

Quote:
invest the money into good roads, housing, jobs, health care, education, human rights (not wrongs), and feeding your people, etc, before wasting it on such things as nuclear weapons.
´

We already have good roads.

How the hell do you invest money in human rights? im sorry for my language but why are you pulling words out of your ass? Why would a dictatorship invest money in Human rights? What about education? we already have schools and belive it or not most children in Iran attend school even though it might not have the best cirrculum in the world but what can u expect from a dictatorship?

Now, here is finally this is one project which will improve an important part of Tehrans infrastructure, so i don't understand your problem?

Why do you turn this into a political conversation when it's about a telecommunication tower?!

And if you insist on going on a political conversation then you really need to read up with the current situation in Iran, cus frankly by the comments u have made it's very clear that dont know anything but mear prejuice

Last edited by freedom; September 16th, 2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old September 16th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #33
matt_sbs

Likes (Received): 4

its an ugly bulding
it stand out from everthing since there nothing around it.
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:14 PM   #34
sdtj
-°- America's Finest -°-

Likes (Received): 19

It would be good if someone could post some Tehran photos, or are there any good links? Google doesn't show a very good side of that city unfortunaly....

El peor enemigo de la verdad no es la mentira, sino la estupidez.
Lo tengo todo, por no querer mas nada..
sdtj no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #35
Nainawaaz
Believer

Likes (Received): 5

It is a communication tower for god sake. Why are these people always attaching politics to every project in Iran or middle east? Worry about your own social, economical, and other problems. Ok they are living in dark ages..what is it to you? So if it is concerete and not glass? You make sure to live in a nice glass building. Please folks...do not ruin the thread.
Nainawaaz no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #36
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtj
It would be good if someone could post some Tehran photos, or are there any good links? Google doesn't show a very good side of that city unfortunaly....
Okay

this must be atleast the 6th time i've posted that link in this thread

But Anyway Enjoy It
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #37
Gilgamesh

Some Views of Tehran and the Milad Tower:

View from the Tochal Mountains, N-W Tehran. The air-quality have affected the pic

View from Pasdaran Ave, E. Tehran. Again the air-quality.

View from ShemIran, N. Tehran. ...Air quality...

View from Tehran's Gisha neighbourhood, West-Central Tehran.

View from W. Tehran.

View from the Chamran highway.
Old September 17th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #38
sdtj
-°- America's Finest -°-

Likes (Received): 19

Thank you freedom...

El peor enemigo de la verdad no es la mentira, sino la estupidez.
Lo tengo todo, por no querer mas nada..
sdtj no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #39
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 5

This is a very widely used design, but still I wouldnt mind this in Los Angeles!!

Looks just like the Stratosphere.. not too much like the CN though.. CN is still bigger, and the pod is shaped differently, and also has a 2nd pod higher up.

At the very least, we should give the damn thing a chance to complete before making final judgments about it.. it will probably look a lot better on a whole, once the top is complete, and the base is painted if they do decide to paint it.

Ive seen some pics of some of Iran's mosques, and I must say.. very impressive.. I particularly like the mosque that is going up that has 2 turrets that are like 250 meters high and have functional floors at the top for like a museum and observation.

A little off subject..
I have a Persian friend (my best friend also) who has been living here in the US for years. He grew up in Iran, and his family fled during the Iraq and Iran war.. he goes there to visit about ever year or so, and while he says he likes it a lot over there, him and his family wouldnt be doing as well now he claims..
He said that if the Islamic rule wasnt in power over there, that place would be a lot better.. Im not saying this to get flamed or argue with anyone, but it was kinda wierd hearing him say that he almost wishes the US would bomb them to help get rid of the rulers over there.. A view that is shared by him, and surprisingly a few other of my Iranian friends <-- and these people LOVE Iran and are very proud of their background and heritage!
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #40
Gilgamesh

I don't know why every thread about Iran has to go political...

And yes, according to the constructor the base will be white, once finished so im guessin that they'll paint it...

I mean of course it's uggly now, but it's not even finished,

And that makes me wonder are people saying it's uggly based on the real pix or based on the renders? cus it's still U/C.