daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #61
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2661

its New York Times Tower

its funny that all of the 'cheats' happen to be the best architectural feats and features in the world. its purely design not cheating in most cases.
the kingdom centre cant really win with people, they call it a cheat with the hole but without it people would call it boring.
CODA Instagram
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #62
uewepuep

Likes (Received): 26

What about Deutsche Bank in Sydney? Its roof is at 160m while the spires go up to 242m!
I'm not sure who took this photo..

I generally like spires, I think they can really add something to the building! But I don't think they should be counted.
uewepuep no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #63
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

New York Times Headquarters in New York City, a 1,140 feet or 318.8 m building.

The John Hancock is only 1,127 and the left building, the tall box, is the Aon building which is 1,136 feet.

Someone should delete that spire from the NY times building...
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #64
hella good
Something of a monster

the N Y Times tower needs a spire, maybe a shorter one than its got there.

i love the deutche bank in syndey, its all part of the design.
spires should be counted as they are part of the building therefore wherever the spire goes to the building goes to as well.
CODA Instagram
Old September 18th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #65
Arunava

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by uewepuep
What about Deutsche Bank in Sydney? Its roof is at 160m while the spires go up to 242m!
Watch out for Cul.
Arunava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #66
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

The spire height shouldn't count for the NY Times Tower IMO. At least for towers like the Deutsch Bank Tower and Burj Al Arab, the spire is actually part of the tower's design. NY Times' design is just a regular box with a stick on the roof. If anything it should be counted as an antennae but it's just silly that it's counted as 1000+ ft.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #67
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

That spire on the NY Times Tower does remind me a lot of the buildings that were part of the Beyer Blinder Belle Plan for the WTC site.
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #68
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

I dont' worry if a tower cehats or not, what I care the most if the tower is good looking or not
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:23 AM   #69
Facial
Seeking truth from facts

Likes (Received): 10

I hate cheatscrapers. ESPECIALLY Freedom Tower & Petronas

Taipei 101 is acceptable since the top floor is high enuf to hold a record.
Sears is still champion imo.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #70
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

There are rumors that they might extend Sears' antennas in order to compete with the Fordham Spire. Too bad they don't count
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #71
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

NY Times' spire is not a DELIBERATE cheat, it is purely architectural. There is no way the building, in the heart of the skyscraper capital of the world, ever had designs on any kind of height record. Personally I think the oversized spire works well in this design.

Q1 is a deliberate cheat in search of a record, but it's all smoke and mirrors. The more pics I see of this buiilding... the huge cheap out on the cladding/curtain wall, and the 80m of mechano toy on the roof, the more ordinary this building appears. Just ignore the pipe on top and you'll see what I mean.

As for Q1's roof being 275m... a recent photo posted from a pretty great angle (matches up nicely with the illustrator's "enhanced" drawing from SkyPage) makes clear where the real roof of the building is... 240 m max. So calling this ordinary building with it's huge headress a "world's tallest" anything is indeed a noteworthy cheat.

elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #72
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 1015

It is pretty simple really, a roof covers enclosed space, so the roof of Q1 is the top of the Mechanical level which is 245m as it has a roof.

To say the top of the roof of the building is 240m when there is a section of roof higher than that is almost as silly as saying the roof of the tower is the top of a fin which doesn't have a roof :-)

240m could be called the main roof height, although that terminology has problems as well for buildings which have stepped rooves or a number of different roof heights.
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #73
hella good
Something of a monster

I personally agree with elliot, ny Times tower did not deliberatley cheat with height, it looks fine and adds to the buildings 'ethereal' quality.

everyone knows that Q1 cheated on purpose because the spire design kept getting hgher and higher as to battle with eureka.

tecnically the chrysler is the worlds most famous cheat. it is famous for erecting the secret spire and keeping it secret until its rival was complete, then using it to gain more height. and i dont see anyone complaining about the chrysler - and before anyone does id just like to say that they secretly know that the building is better with a spire.
CODA Instagram
Old September 21st, 2005, 12:39 AM   #74
Darius

Well, there are many prominent examples but who cares...

In my book, a building is called a building because it has habitable space and a roof enclosing it. That's why I rank tallest buildings by roof height and I never count spires or decorative tops as parts of the building's height.

Some buildings would simply look moronic without their spires so I'm by no means a spire hater... Still, a building is a building = habitable inner space + roof as its shell. The so-called structural height is something I really don't give a crap about. It makes the borders between building and structure too blurry IMHO. Structural, integral, architectural, functional, nonfunctional, decorative... Rubbish if you ask me.

If you want to compare buildings even by tip height, go for it. Just don't forget that the Warsaw Radio Mast is still the number 1 of all times so far Too bad some dummies made it collapse.
Darius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:05 PM   #75
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

The Al Faisaliah Tower is another cheater in Riyadh have 60 floors and nothing but and empty crown with a ball inside it.

Old September 21st, 2005, 10:42 PM   #76
Aaron King

the ball houses an observation deck and a restaurant
Aaron King no está en línea   Reply With Quote