daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2005, 03:17 AM   #1
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

SINGAPORE | Singapore Flyer | 178m | U/C

Singapore Flyer set to soar in 2008

13 Sep 05

Work on iconic Ferris wheel starts later this month; it may even have a sushi capsule

By Marcel Lee Pereira

AFTER a three-year wait, the Singapore Flyer finally has the money to get going.

Planning for Singapore's own giant observation wheel began as early as 2002, and it was slated to be built by the end of this year. However, the project was stalled by complex financing details.

This month, two German banks - Delbrueck Bethmann Maffei (DBM), the private banking arm of ABN Amro, and Bayerische Hypo- und Vereinsbank (HVB) - finally stepped in with the $240 million needed to fund the project.

Work on the 178m-high Ferris wheel, located at Marina Bay, begins later this month. The attraction is expected to take its first riders in the first quarter of 2008, just one year before the integrated resort at Marina Bay is due to open.

Singapore Flyer's managing director, Mr Peter Purcell, admitted the 'optimism and euphoria' in the early stages of the project has been replaced by the 'complex and arduous process' of meeting the standards of regulators in Germany, where they sought funding.

However, he added that it was 'worth the effort and time to get it right'.

The attraction is a joint venture between German logistics and engineering services company Melchers Project Management and Orient & Pacific Management, a consultancy based in the British Virgin Islands.

When completed, the structure will stand 43m taller than the London Eye, erected on the south bank of the River Thames in London - and what a view it will have.

The estimated 2.5 million visitors expected every year will be able to see places as far as 45km away.

And, as in the London Eye, passengers will ride in 28 fully air-conditioned capsules, each with a floor area of 32 sq m, which rotate as the wheel goes round to keep a stable platform.

Mr Purcell said passengers can expect to do more than just sit back and enjoy the scenery during the 37-minute ride.

Suggestions include having a bar in some capsules, and even a sushi capsule.

'There is no limitation on our ability to make use of these capsules to create an entertaining experience,' he said.

Located next to the upcoming Millenia MRT station, the attraction will stand astride a three- storey terminal building with food and beverage outlets, an amphitheatre and even a jetty.

Occupying a 33,700 sq m plot of land, the building will have parking lots for 40 tour buses and 300 vehicles.

Mr Purcell is confident the Singapore Flyer will take off.

'The most successful iconic visitor attractions anywhere in the world are viewing platforms' like the Eiffel Tower, which draws more than six million visitors a year, he said.

Each year, 3.5 million people ride on the London Eye, which is the inspiration for the Singapore version.

Mr Purcell added that the 110m-high Sky Tower on Sentosa, which opened early last year, had about 250,000 people visitors in its first year of operation.

'It proves Singaporeans have an appetite for viewing their environment and new places from a great height, and doing it in comfort,' said Mr Purcell.

In the area of comfort, the Singapore Flyer is one up on the London Eye.

People have to queue in the open to ride on the London Eye, but visitors to the Singapore Flyer will know when their ride is due to start. They can kill time in the comfort of the terminal before joining the queue.

Singapore Tourism Board chief executive Lim Neo Chian said that together with the integrated resorts, the Singapore Flyer will encourage 'further investments in Singapore's tourism sector' and 'add much vibrancy to Marina Bay'.

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #2
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

Likes (Received): 3

finally!
hyacinthus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:36 AM   #3
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3627

This is GREEAAAATTT News!!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:40 AM   #4
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

@Chad, yup...be sure to get down here when it opens! (shouldnt be a problem since you travel so much )

Thanks to hyacinthus, the location is marked out in this picture (on the right)

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:51 AM   #5
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Finally!!!!!
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #6
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3627

I would have to wait in line for longtime!, since it's must be one of city's "super attraction".

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:06 AM   #7
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

yeah there's nothing like a ferris wheel to assure civic greatness.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:16 AM   #8
zachary24

Likes (Received): 0

how tacky
zachary24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:21 AM   #9
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
I would have to wait in line for longtime!, since it's must be one of city's "super attraction".
You don't have to wait in line

"People have to queue in the open to ride on the London Eye, but visitors to the Singapore Flyer will know when their ride is due to start. They can kill time in the comfort of the terminal before joining the queue."

Plus, you have Singapore forumers to "entertain" you.
hyacinthus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 05:13 AM   #10
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1812

wow! Finally that the ferris wheel is gonna get built......been wondering what had happened to it for the past few years
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #11
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 13 September 2005 1000 hrs

Building of Singapore Flyer to start in two weeks
By Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia
The construction of one of Singapore's future iconic attractions, the Singapore Flyer, will take off in two weeks' time.

Two German banks have been roped in to finance the giant observation wheel.

The developers behind the project say the bankers have given their vote of confidence to the city state's tourism investment potential.

The Singapore Flyer promises to be one of Singapore's, and even Asia's, top attractions.

At 45 storeys high, the observation wheel will provide a breathtaking view of the country and as far as Malaysia and Indonesia.

Two leading German banks, DBM and HVB Asia, are spearheading the debt and equity financing for the S$240m project.

Its developers say such collaborations could spin off more opportunities for Singapore to tap on the German market.

Alexander C. Melchers, General Manager, C. Melchers GmbH & Co, said: "The prospects are very very good. The project will enjoy and is enjoying very high profile coverage in Germany and investors are interested in Singapore as it's a very safe place, and has good reputation in Germany. So, yes, there will be more opportunities for Singapore to tap the German market."

The construction of the Singapore Flyer will begin in two weeks, after a ground breaking ceremony on 27 September.

When completed in 2008, the giant observation wheel is set to change the visual landscape of Marina Bay.

Marina Bay - complete with its commercial, residential and entertainment facilities - can expect an influx of visitors.

Some 2.5 million people - 60 per cent of whom are tourists - are set to take to the skies with the Singapore Flyer.

And there's more in store.

Peter Purcell, Managing Director, Singapore Flyer Pte Ltd, said: "The other features that will be incorporated into the project will be an open air Greek theatre for live performances, there's a recreated rainforest in the central atrium, and we have a broad expanse of dining and heavily landscaped gardens along the waterfront."

The Singapore Flyer will be the first in the Marina Bay area to go operational, ahead of other massive projects like the integrated resort, the second Botanic Gardens, and a business and financial centre which will be ready by 2010.

Cheong Koon Hean, CEO of Singapore's Urban Redevelopment Authority, said: "By finishing it earlier, it will draw interest to the area because visually it'll be attractive, outstanding. It will have a fantastic view of the things that are going to happen in and around the bay."

Singapore's Tourism Board says such developments will position the country to welcome the projected increase in travellers from growing regional markets like China and India.

STB's Tourism 2015 targets a tripling of tourism receipts to S$30 billion, doubling visitor arrivals to 17 million, and creating an additional 100,000 jobs in the services sector by 2015. - CNA/ir

FINALLY!!!!!!
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #12
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

this is great.
is somebody able to provide better recent renders?
i wonder how you could call it tacky... why is this "tacky"
it is a better kind of an observation tower, are obseration towers tacky?
are observation platforms on towers tacky?
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:15 AM   #13
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

very interesting

are there any renders for this one?
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #14
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

thats massive!
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #15
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Awesome! I thought the London Eye would be lame, but it's actually pretty neat. Not sure I like the name Singapore Flyer, though.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #16
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

I love the name, "Singapore Flyer"
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #17
Phenomenal Fullerton
'DON'T Daint, you prick!'

Sounds awesome.

However, being 178 meters tall, and given it's location, will it provide a good vantage point of the area?

The reason I ask is, it would need to be a good deal taller than the buildings near it, such as the Ritz Carlton, the pencil topped one (sorry i dont know what its name is) and a little further away, the really tall round hotel building outside City Hall station (sorry I forget the name of this one too) to give it good downward views.

So, my question is, how tall are these buildings I mentioned, and do you think they will be small enough in relation to the height of the wheel to give it a great view?

What do you all think?

In any case, it'll always be great... because from there you'll get a grand view of the finest building in the city......... THE FULLERTON!!!!!
Phenomenal Fullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #18
Phenomenal Fullerton
'DON'T Daint, you prick!'

In relation to the Singapore Flyer comment by samsonyuen, I have to agree it sounds a bit naff, but am I right in thinking (i.e. ... babystan03, hyacinthus etc.) that it is being sponsored by Singapore Airlines? (Like BA does with the London Eye I think).

As a name alone, yes, it's not so great, but if Singapore Airlines do have something to do with it as I suspect they do, I have to say it's not the most inventive, but its a very good cross-promotional marketing tool for the airline, considering what it is.
Phenomenal Fullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:09 AM   #19
Pengui
Tallest on his iceberg

Likes (Received): 6

I think 178m is about as tall as Suntec City (the 4 buildings in the middle of the Marina skyline in the pic above).
So the North-east view will be somewhat blocked by the Millenia Tower and Suntec City.
Pengui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #20
D_Y2k.2^

Likes (Received): 310

yes!Finally its gonna start.I thought it was gonna b located a Sentosa island
D_Y2k.2^ no está en línea   Reply With Quote