daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #221
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
march 6th:
[IMG]http://i17.************/47i249y.png[/IMG]
wow great picture!
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #222
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6562

only from the webcam
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #223
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charging Bull View Post
Updated
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #224
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Higher then the heighest dutch skyscraper!!! :S :P

Old March 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #225
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03 View Post
Some updates on 11th March from Esplanade Park

update
Old March 11th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #226
RafflesCity
By Spirit

10 March 2007

Old March 11th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #227
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 1001

so it'll b as tall as those Suntec Towers.Hope i can hoop in that soon
chinatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #228
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9439

I would really like having something like this in Budapest...
Qtya está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #229
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

the half wheel is done
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #230
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown View Post
so it'll b as tall as those Suntec Towers.Hope i can hoop in that soon
I think Suntec Towers are slightly taller than it.

This panorama was taken from Suntec rooftop:

------->

The Flyer can be seen on the left.

Old March 12th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #231
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinthus View Post
11 Mar 07

Updated
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #232
kiwitam

Likes (Received): 0

Singapore Flyer to attract in more ways than one

By Jasmine Yin, TODAY | Posted: 14 March 2007 1053 hrs

SINGAPORE: A panoramic sweep of Singapore's skyline and even parts of Malaysia may not be the only thing visitors take in when the Singapore Flyer opens next year.

They will be able to rub shoulders with wax models of celebrities like David Beckham, or even hop on a roller-coaster train, if plans to develop a second attraction at the 165-m-tall giant observation wheel take off.

TODAY understands that the Singapore Flyer management could hook up with the United Kingdom-based Tussauds Group, which owns the Madame Tussauds museum in cities such as New York and Hong Kong.

It is also behind the London Eye giant observation wheel — the top-paying tourist attraction in Britain — and a host of theme parks such as Alton Towers and the Chessington World of Adventures.

A source told this newspaper that both parties are in "serious talks" following a visit here last month by London Eye senior executives as part of a publicity tour in Asia.

When contacted, managing director for Singapore Flyer Peter Purcell said: "We are unable to comment regarding ongoing discussions."

Just last week, private equity firm Blackstone Group agreed to buy over the Tussauds Group for £1 billion ($2.95 billion) to create what is touted to be the world's second-biggest operator of tourist attractions, by visitor numbers, after Disney.

Blackstone's Merlin Entertainments Group operates the Legoland theme parks in Denmark and Germany and Italy's biggest theme park Gardaland, among other attractions.

Meanwhile, Mr Purcell said construction of the Singapore Flyer is ahead of schedule and that he has received offers from 23 bidders who are interested in leasing space.

In fact, one bidder is even proposing to take up the entire ground floor. But Mr Purcell said: "We are not in a mad rush to sign leases."

He added that credit card, alcohol and hi-tech bigwigs have approached him to sponsor and co-brand the Singapore Flyer, in the mould of the British Airways London Eye.

As for the $300-million Singapore Oceanarium proposal that he and a consortium of local and foreign investors had pitched last year, Mr Purcell said that it is still pending a decision from the authorities.

The authorities have suggested two sites outside of Marina Bay for the proposal, with at least one site in the East Coast.

He reiterated his desire to anchor what he described as an "edu-tourism" proposal in Singapore, but did not rule out other offers of interest the consortium has had from the Middle East, the United States and even Brazil.

Asked about the recent tremors felt in Singapore following two earthquakes in Sumatra, Mr Purcell said the Flyer's structure was not affected.

He said: "The design capacity of a structure of this type is pretty fantastic because it's designed to last 100 years. Our engineers from Arup have assured us that all the safeguards for any sort of natural phenomenon have been taken into account." - TODAY/fa
kiwitam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #233
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

March 19th:

Last edited by ZZ-II; March 21st, 2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #234
redstone
Lurker

How did you capture the image?
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #235
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

when you can see the webcam pic in the net you must make a right-click on the pic and choose "copy graphic-adress" ( it works with Firefox and probably a lot other browsers ). when you've copied you can fill in the adress, only add the [IMG]...[/IMG] and you can see it here in the forum

that's the graphic adress of this pic: http://www.singaporeflyer.com.sg/web...age/webcam.jpg
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #236
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
when you can see the webcam pic in the net you must make a right-click on the pic and choose "copy graphic-adress" ( it works with Firefox and probably a lot other browsers ). when you've copied you can fill in the adress, only add the [IMG]...[/IMG] and you can see it here in the forum

that's the graphic adress of this pic: http://www.singaporeflyer.com.sg/web...age/webcam.jpg
Thank you!
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #237
MaartenK

Very interesting to see how this thing is being constructed!
The structural system of the finished wheel will be relatively simple and very effective. The spokes will be in tension and the ring in compression, this will keep the ring in it's shape and there is no need to worry about buckling of the spokes.
I bet the construction phase took up about 90% of the design effort. The difficulty is that untill the ring is complete you need a completely different structural system (in this case these big temporary booms) to hold the thing up.
I believe this was avoided at the construction of The London Eye by building it on the ground and jacking the entire thing up into to it's vertical position after the ring was completed.
MaartenK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #238
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaartenK View Post
Very interesting to see how this thing is being constructed!
The structural system of the finished wheel will be relatively simple and very effective. The spokes will be in tension and the ring in compression, this will keep the ring in it's shape and there is no need to worry about buckling of the spokes.
I bet the construction phase took up about 90% of the design effort. The difficulty is that untill the ring is complete you need a completely different structural system (in this case these big temporary booms) to hold the thing up.
I believe this was avoided at the construction of The London Eye by building it on the ground and jacking the entire thing up into to it's vertical position after the ring was completed.
Ah, I was curious because during construction the wheel position is not in equilibrum.
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #239
builder1010
Singapore Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitam View Post
By Jasmine Yin, TODAY | Posted: 14 March 2007 1053 hrs

SINGAPORE: A panoramic sweep of Singapore's skyline and even parts of Malaysia may not be the only thing visitors take in when the Singapore Flyer opens next year.

They will be able to rub shoulders with wax models of celebrities like David Beckham, or even hop on a roller-coaster train, if plans to develop a second attraction at the 165-m-tall giant observation wheel take off.

TODAY understands that the Singapore Flyer management could hook up with the United Kingdom-based Tussauds Group, which owns the Madame Tussauds museum in cities such as New York and Hong Kong.

It is also behind the London Eye giant observation wheel — the top-paying tourist attraction in Britain — and a host of theme parks such as Alton Towers and the Chessington World of Adventures.

A source told this newspaper that both parties are in "serious talks" following a visit here last month by London Eye senior executives as part of a publicity tour in Asia.

When contacted, managing director for Singapore Flyer Peter Purcell said: "We are unable to comment regarding ongoing discussions."

Just last week, private equity firm Blackstone Group agreed to buy over the Tussauds Group for £1 billion ($2.95 billion) to create what is touted to be the world's second-biggest operator of tourist attractions, by visitor numbers, after Disney.

Blackstone's Merlin Entertainments Group operates the Legoland theme parks in Denmark and Germany and Italy's biggest theme park Gardaland, among other attractions.

Meanwhile, Mr Purcell said construction of the Singapore Flyer is ahead of schedule and that he has received offers from 23 bidders who are interested in leasing space.

In fact, one bidder is even proposing to take up the entire ground floor. But Mr Purcell said: "We are not in a mad rush to sign leases."

He added that credit card, alcohol and hi-tech bigwigs have approached him to sponsor and co-brand the Singapore Flyer, in the mould of the British Airways London Eye.
- TODAY/fa
Do we need another Tussauds wax displays? nope. flyers and wax dnt mix

sponship?, hope not, i prefer it remains singapore flyer. or maybe singapore airlins can sponsor. Singapore Air Flyer!
builder1010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #240
redstone
Lurker

A very much needed update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby View Post
(1) Captured at Esplanade Promenade.

(2) Captured at Esplanade deck on 5th floor.

(3) Captured at Marina Bay Garden beside water way.