daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: ???
Sears Tower. 38 33.63%
Burj Dubai. 46 40.71%
I have to wait until BD is complete to make my final decision. 25 22.12%
Neither tower is my style. 4 3.54%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 28th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #41
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

I'm a big SOM fan and Adrian Smith, so I have a place in my heart for both. But I'll have to go with Sears since it's in a real city and country!

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #42
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

hope you are really joking...
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #43
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 950

BD for sure.Bot the award for WTB won't hold onto this building from 10 years when it is built
TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #44
missingtooth

Likes (Received): 0

I'm not joking (if u r adressing to me)

Seriously, we all do respect here, i must admit it looks spectacular and all....but the design is WAAAAYYYY too complicated for me. As i mentioned earlier, it has too many sections and looks kinda mess and disorganized. Plus, i also somehow sees it is as just a "copy" of sears tower design wise. Relax, i'm not blind. I can see the difference. But the way i see it is that, both towers has so many sections that are combined together to become a massive superstructure. Dont u recognized this? its just that sears tower is an assembly of boxed buildings whilst Burj is just a thinner and rounded version of it.

Just my 2 cents........hope nobody is offended.

p/s.......for me the best super tall building design belongs to PETRONAS towers. Sleek and elegant........not too complicated but intricate enough to make me adore it. Plus I LOVE the bridge at the towers

PEACE.
missingtooth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #45
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtooth
. Plus, i also somehow sees it is as just a "copy" of sears tower design wise.
They look totally different in my view. If it is indeed a copy of sears then that means all georgian buildings with pillars are copies (Apart from the first one of course ) and all box shaped skyscrapers are copies of the first one too.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #46
Phenomenal Fullerton
'DON'T Daint, you prick!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
I voted I have to wait and see. Sure when the Burj is completed it'll probably be very impressive but I still reserve my judgement for when it's completed.
Have to agree with Malec on this one. How can you compare them when one's still a drawing?!

As for compares (see my post on Fordham Spire v Burj Dubai), I'm not sure I really believe in them.

In this case, due to same architect/design similarities, they are easier to compare in a fair way, but only to an extent.

I mean, one's got years on the other one for starters. If they were going up at the same time, I guess this would be a fairer contest.

Have to say though, Sears is impressive. Even more so after watching a programme about it on Megastructures on Foxtel. It's incredible how that place is built and how it functions. And to think that the BD will have to be even more impressive than that to make it function properly and efficiently.
Phenomenal Fullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #47
Phenomenal Fullerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtooth
Seriously, we all do respect here, i must admit it looks spectacular and all....but the design is WAAAAYYYY too complicated for me. As i mentioned earlier, it has too many sections and looks kinda mess and disorganized. Plus, i also somehow sees it is as just a "copy" of sears tower design wise. Relax, i'm not blind. I can see the difference. But the way i see it is that, both towers has so many sections that are combined together to become a massive superstructure. Dont u recognized this? its just that sears tower is an assembly of boxed buildings whilst Burj is just a thinner and rounded version of it.

Just my 2 cents........hope nobody is offended.

p/s.......for me the best super tall building design belongs to PETRONAS towers. Sleek and elegant........not too complicated but intricate enough to make me adore it. Plus I LOVE the bridge at the towers

PEACE.

Yep, I have to agree with you here. Same concept, just bigger, different colour and rounded corners instead of square ones.

Sorry Malec.

I don't agree with your opinion, but that's just my opinion. You have every right to form your own opinion and express your own opinion and just because I don't agree with your opinion, I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion in my opinion, and it's everyone's right to express that opinion, even if other people, in their opinion, don't share that opinion. What's more, someone else's opinion shouldn't influence anyone from forming their own opinion, but hey, that's just my opinion and since we're asking people's opinions I'll bloody well express my own opinion and whether you choose to agree or disagree with my opinion is entirely your opinion.

Old September 30th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #48
Kent

Likes (Received): 40

Burj Dubai
Kent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #49
_zner_
Optional Information

Likes (Received): 78

"so far" my vote goes to sears... the design is so amazing.. its a 9 cube building... while BD is like a toothpick that was combined together to create a tower...
_zner_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #50
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal Fullerton
Yep, I have to agree with you here. Same concept, just bigger, different colour and rounded corners instead of square ones.

Sorry Malec.

I don't agree with your opinion, but that's just my opinion. You have every right to form your own opinion and express your own opinion and just because I don't agree with your opinion, I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion in my opinion, and it's everyone's right to express that opinion, even if other people, in their opinion, don't share that opinion. What's more, someone else's opinion shouldn't influence anyone from forming their own opinion, but hey, that's just my opinion and since we're asking people's opinions I'll bloody well express my own opinion and whether you choose to agree or disagree with my opinion is entirely your opinion.

So I'm not ALWAYS right then

(see burj vs fordham thread)
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:23 AM   #51
Phenomenal Fullerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
So I'm not ALWAYS right then

(see burj vs fordham thread)
Nope... not this time! But whether you're right or wrong is just my opinion, not everyone's opinion. (Oh God, don't let me start that again)!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:25 AM   #52
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

While I find neither amazing besides height, i'm going to wait until BD is finished to make a judgement.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote