daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2005, 03:30 AM   #1
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 14

Disneyland Shanghai

This was posted in the City vs. City forum. Looks interesting but I don't know the validity of the article though... Personally, I think its a rather rushed step after just completing one in Hong Kong. To me its great for China and Disney but I think its decreasing Disney's prestige but whatever. What do you guys think?

Disneyland to build theme park in Shanghai
www.chinanews.cn 2005-08-03 11:25:53
Chinanews, Aug.2 - Although China's first Disneyland theme park is scheduled to open on Sept. 12th, the Hong Kong Disneyland with an area of 126 hectares is far from satisfying Walt Disney Co.'s ambition to extend its territory in China. It is reported that the project for Disneyland's Shanghai theme park has taken shape and the park is expected to open to the public in 2012 at the earliest.

According to a reliable source, Shanghai reserved a 500-hectare site located in Chuansha Town in Pudong, three times bigger than the one in Hong Kong. The information obtained from the planning administration office of Shanghai Pudong Planning Administration Bureau also proved such news to a certain extent.

However, after having consulted leaders of the bureau, the informed source cautiously indicated that they were not in a position to disclose any detailed plan at the moment and further information will be published on the bureau's official website. As to the location of Shanghai Disneyland, spokesman of Chuansha Town said on the phone that related information must be announced by the senior management.

As to the issue whether Shanghai Disneyland could be completed in 2012, spokesman of the Walt Disney Co. just emphasized that they are focusing on the opening ceremony of the Hong Kong Disneyland right now. The reporter, however, learned from an informed source of Hong Kong Disneyland that the first batch of Disneyland theme park designers and planners who went to Hong Kong from the United States are leaving for Shanghai for relevant preparation.
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:38 AM   #2
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Sorry, couldn't help it.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:00 AM   #3
gargantuas

Likes (Received): 0

Stalin Duck!
gargantuas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #4
waccamatt
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999

Sorry, couldn't help it.
That is absolutely hilarious!!!
waccamatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:02 AM   #5
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:11 AM   #6
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

As stated in an article in the HKDisney thread, Shanghai won't get a Disneyland until Beijing allows them to broadcast Disney owned TV networks in the mainland.

And neither side is going to budge on that one for a long time.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:14 AM   #7
pottebaum
Minneapolis

Why can't they broadcast Disney programs?
pottebaum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #8
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottebaum
Why can't they broadcast Disney programs?
Because China's government is all about controlling information, and that includes television. This is one of the things Beijing is actually tightening its control over the past few years.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #9
Vento

Likes (Received): 1

What about other countries programs??
Vento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #10
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I would assume the same. And I believe there is a length of time that Disney agreed not to open another park in China, although this hasn't been publicly announced. I wouldn't think it'd open for at least 5-10 years.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #11
raymond_tung88

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
I would assume the same. And I believe there is a length of time that Disney agreed not to open another park in China, although this hasn't been publicly announced. I wouldn't think it'd open for at least 5-10 years.
I don't think there was or if there is, the agreements are vague. If so, Disney can technically start planning/ construction of a park but wouldn't have to open it until the certain period of 5-10 years is over. Bear in mind that HK Disneyland took 6 years to construct. The one in Shanghai is four times bigger than HK's so if they build now, by the time their done, it could be past around 5-10 years.
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #12
Manu84
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

some pics about the proyect??
Manu84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #13
raymond_tung88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu84
some pics about the proyect??
They haven't released any information that they are even "planning" the park although anonymous sources said the people who designed the park in HK are being relocated to Shanghai for "certain" reasons.

Anyways, sources said the park would be about 4 times bigger than HK's and roughly around the size of Disneyland Tokyo? In other words, this could be as big as Disneyland Paris.
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #14
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Also note that the HK Disneyland is not finished. The second phase will build upon it quite a bit, from what I understand.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #15
Techno-Architect
BANNED

Likes (Received): 177

okay can anyone tell me which cities of china already have Disneyland in them, where else it is proposed, and where is it underconstruction rite now~!
Techno-Architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #16
raymond_tung88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno-Architect
okay can anyone tell me which cities of china already have Disneyland in them, where else it is proposed, and where is it underconstruction rite now~!
THat's easy...

Hong Kong is the ONLY city in China that has a Disney park right now.

Shanghai is proposing one.

THAT'S IT.
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #17
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

Forget the CIA... beware of Disney... this will be the end of your culture/civilization as you have known it.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 03:05 AM   #18
raymond_tung88

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot
Forget the CIA... beware of Disney... this will be the end of your culture/civilization as you have known it.
I think if it worked with Japan, I think it will work for China. Japanese culture isn't affected by Disney. Unless you got evidence, I'm still for a Disney park in mainland China.

Besides, Disney is popular in HK and the park just strengthened its popularity. HK has one of the most unique cultures in the world combing east and west. HK's culture isn't damaged.
Old September 16th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #19
bustero

Likes (Received): 10

I understand that Disney looked at many alternatives about a decade ago for it's first disneyland outside of Japan. Both Shanghai and HK were in the shortlist but in the end they realized that the market would easily sustain both.HK agreed to basically finance the park hence they went for both even if they initially thought Shanghai would be the first choice as it would be cheaper to build it there.

The HK Disneyland does not serve the Chinese market alone. It's catchment area extends to South East Asia easily a market of 500 million people and South Asia with over 1 Billion is about 6 hours away. HK Disneyland would probably be akin to the one in Anaheim while the Shanghai one is like Disneyworld. In the long run it will be bigger with a huge driving market in the next 5 - 10 years when it will start to get built.
Old September 17th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #20
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargantuas

Stalin Duck!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote