daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #1
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 355

Νεμέα | Nemea, Corinth

Giasas! i was wondering if anyone has anyphotos of Nemea or any links? Its a small town in Corinthos for those of you who dont know. I am looking for something got to do with the Church on the hill...

Sponsored Links

Old May 14th, 2005, 01:47 AM   #2
Skaros

Likes (Received): 1

NEMEA

Market town which life traces are located in prehistory, Known by Hercules feats and with the most important monument, the temple of Zeus, built in the 4th century b.C. The excavations brought to light ruins of Hot Springs, rings, athletic grounds, medieval walls and constractions.

4km outside Nemea were found the ruins of the ancient city “Flious”, with sacred of Puberty, Dimitras and Persefones. The “temple of Asklipioy” which over the temple is built the church of “Zoodochos Pigis”, sections of a theatre and more.

Nemea is known for making some of the best wines in Greece and is full of wineries that can be visited.

George i will post more pics of ancient Nemea next time in the archaeology thread and i will post them also here.
Old May 14th, 2005, 02:52 AM   #3
Giorgio

wow thanx for that im focusing more on Modern Nemea. were did you get the pics? I need more
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #4
Raleigh-NC

I have always overlooked Nemea's wineries, even though I like the wine produced there. Next time I will have to make a stop at Nemea and explore the area. It will be like in the movie "Sideways"

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #5
Giorgio

? Whats the movie Sideways?
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #6
Raleigh-NC

Sideways is a fairly new movie, directed by Alexander Payne - if my information is correct, he is Greek-American - and presents a very true picture of California's wine scene. The main character is played by Paul Giammati, one of my favorite actors, whom I consider underrated. In that movie, people learn a lot about wines, which is probably the selling angle, although I consider this movie one of the best new films I've seen, regardless. Paul Giammati plays a divorced, failed writer, who takes his about-to-be-married best friend for a week in the wine country side of California. I will spare you any details, but I will tell you this: Pinot Noir wines (the main actor's favorite, in the film) started selling big after that movie. I asked someone in my local supermarket and she told me that Pinot Noir wine saw an icrease of about 40% after that movie was out!!! I've been a Pinot Noir fan since 1995 and that movie really helped me rediscover the greatness of this grape.

It would have been interesting if there could be a Sideways-type of movie, or even a sequel to the original, filmed in Greece, with Alexander Payne as the director, too Not that Greece is the only country rich in wine production, but a movie that combines Summerlovers and Sideways would have been a great candidate for an award... assuming it is done right. Nemea should, most certainly, be visited by every wine lover, along with many other places in Greece. A good movie could definitely boost the image of Greek wine... Just a thought.

The right decision
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:47 AM   #7
Giorgio

if youve ever been to Nemea Youd have seen a big Factory with the Logo DK. Thats my uncles Company one of the largest Distributors in Europe. He also owns a 4 storie house in Nemea
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #8
Raleigh-NC

That's great, Giorgos69 Is your uncle going to hook me up with some good wine producers? I want the best wine I can get I gather your uncle isn't into the wine industry, unless by factory you meant a wine producing "plant".

The right decision
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:29 AM   #9
Giorgio

No by factory i mean warehouse were he stores the products that he distributes. He distributes Nestle Coffe icecreams etc. He also distributes Sony Products and so forth to all around europe. He is involved in the wine industry as i believe he distributes his own brand of wine along with many others. I believe he owns the brand Velko as well. cant think of the wines brand.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #10
woofy

Hello everyone!

This is my first post in SSC!!! I thought I'd start by giving you this interesting link to the archaeological site of Nemea and the excavations of Berkeley University:

http://www.nemea.org/

You may also want to take part in the revival of the ancient Nemean Games!

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~clscs2..._home_page.htm

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~clscs2...er/society.htm

These Games have a very interesting mythological beginning:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~clscs2...amyth2myth.htm

And here you can find all the myths associated with Ancient Nemea:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~clscs275/nemeamyth2.htm

Last edited by woofy; May 19th, 2005 at 07:51 PM.
woofy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #11
Raleigh-NC

@Giorgos69: Thanks for the clarification... I will look for the Velko brand next time I vist Greece.

@Woofy: Nice links Welcome to SSC!!!

The right decision
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #12
Giorgio

woofy: Thank you very much. i already knew about the Games thank you anyway please stay at sky scraper city we love having greeks come.

Raleigh, Velko is a toiletries brand i believe. Can someone clarify this? I actually just found a pamphlet with all his brands. His other brands inclued HPAKLIS (Herkules) juices and honey, Delfini Ouzo and Mouragio Ouzo, Stella Artois, Campeny and Hraklis Gala.
Old September 16th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #13
Giorgio

Nemea, Korinthos

Nemea,

Known for its quality wine among the finest in Europe not to mention the richest red wine in Greece, as well as the myths of the Nemean Lion and Herikles.
Heres a look at the Ancient Sanctuary. New nemea lies a few Km's West of the site.

So hard to find pics of Modern Nemea! once again, guys if you have pics of modern nemea.....post them!
Old September 17th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #14
ydrohoos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Very nice.....
ydrohoos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #15
Zorba
Stadium Fan

Very Nice. I like too see threads on ancient Greek ruins. We should have some more on this forum.
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.--Nelson Mandela
Zorba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #16
Raleigh-NC

Excellent photos!!! How about some tasty red wine from Nemea?

The right decision
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #17
blsb

Likes (Received): 64

Οι θησαυροί της λίμνης Στυμφαλίας
Η υδατική λεκάνη δεν έχει μόνο πλούσιες ιστορίες να «διηγηθεί», αλλά κυρίως ιδιαίτερη οικολογική αξία

Της Γιωτας Συκκα (Η ΚΑΘΗΜΕΡΙΝΗ, 08.06.2010)

ΜΟΥΣΕΙΟ. Aπό τη μια πλευρά μοιάζει να αιωρείται από τον ουρανό και από την άλλη, να αναδύεται δειλά μέσα από τις πλαγιές των λόφων γύρω από τη λίμνη της Στυμφαλίας. Χτισμένο στην πλαγιά ενός από αυτούς, με μεγάλες ανοιχτές αίθουσες που τοποθετούνται γραμμικά, ανοίγματα, εξώστη προς τη λίμνη, φυσικά υλικά και όλα τα στοιχεία που εξοικονομούν ενέργεια, το Μουσείο Περιβάλλοντος, το πρώτο στην Ελλάδα, είναι από τα κομψοτεχνήματα του δικτύου μουσείων του Πολιτιστικού Ιδρύματος του Ομίλου Πειραιώς.

Εργο των αρχιτεκτόνων Τάση Παπαιωάννου και Δημήτρη Ησαΐα, καθηγητών στο ΕΜΠ, τιμήθηκε με ειδική μνεία στα Βραβεία Αρχιτεκτονικής 2008 του Ελληνικού Ινστιτούτου Αρχιτεκτονικής και συμπεριλήφθηκε -μαζί με αυτό της Ακρόπολης- στην έκδοση The Phaedon Atlas of 21st Century World Architecture. Και όλα αυτά πριν ακόμη εγκαινιαστεί.

Η υδατική λεκάνη της Στυμφαλίας, που θεωρείται η μεγαλύτερη της Πελοποννήσου και ο νοτιότερος ορεινός υγροβιότοπος των Βαλκανίων, δεν έχει μόνο πλούσιες ιστορίες να «διηγηθεί». Εκεί άλλωστε, σύμφωνα με τη μυθολογία, ο Ηρακλής αντιμετώπισε και εξολόθρευσε τις Στυμφαλίδες Ορνιθες.

Κυρίως έχει οικολογική αξία, που επιβεβαιώνεται από την ένταξή της στο δικτυο NATURA 2000.

Τότε ήταν που ξεκίνησε και η ιστορία του μουσείου, τη χρονιά δηλαδή που η Περιφέρεια Πελοποννήσου, όπως θυμάται η Ασπασία Λούβη (γεν. διευθύντρια του Πολιτιστικού Ιδρύματος του Ομίλου Πειραιώς), θέλησε να φτιάξει ένα περιβαλλοντικό κέντρο. Aρχική ιδέα ήταν να επικεντρωθεί στα παραδοσιακά επαγγέλματα γύρω από τη λίμνη. Οσα εκείνη επέτρεψε και επέβαλε. Και δεν ήταν άλλο από το ίδιο το περιβάλλον.

Ετσι έγινε το Μουσείο Περιβάλλοντος, που εγκαινιάστηκε το περασμένο Σάββατο από τον Πρόεδρο της Δημοκρατίας κ. Κ. Παπούλια. Μελετήθηκαν τα γεωλογικά φαινόμενα, μετατράπηκαν σε πληροφορίες για το κοινό και ο επισκέπτης με τη σειρά του αποκρυπτογραφεί τον μύθο.

Η Στυμφαλία ήταν συχνά διπλάσια και τριπλάσια σε έκταση από τα προϊστορικά κιόλας χρόνια όταν η στάθμη της άλλοτε ανέβαινε και άλλοτε κατέβαινε επειδή μια καταβόθρα λειτουργούσε ως παροχετευτικός αγωγός στέλνοντας το νερό της ώς τον αργολικό κάμπο. Οταν έφραζε η λίμνη γινόταν κατάρα και έδινε την αφορμή για όλες αυτές τις περιγραφές του μύθου με τα τεράστια πουλιά που έτρωγαν ζώα και παιδιά. Ηταν το αποτέλεσμα του έλους.

Ολα αυτά τα πληροφορείται ο επισκέπτης του μουσείου βλέποντας (μη περιμένετε ταριχευμένα ζώα) μακέτες, φιλμ, πληροφοριακό υλικό, πετρώματα, ίχνη ζώων, τηλεσκόπια, λιγοστά αρχαιολογικά ευρήματα.

Εκπληξη το ενυδρείο

Τοπ έκθεμα του μουσείου, το ενυδρείο. Η Τομή της Λίμνης, που με τη βοήθεια της εισηγμένης τεχνολογίας φέρνει στο μουσείο τη χλωρίδα και την πανίδα της. Κέφαλοι και κυπρίνοι, φυτά και καλάμια συγκεντρώνουν τον θαυμασμό του κόσμου, ενώ δέλεαρ για τα παιδιά αποτελεί η βάρκα που λικνίζεται στην επιφάνεια. Το μουσείο δείχνει τον πλούτο της περιοχής, τα επαγγέλματα που σχετίζονται με τους θησαυρούς της λίμνης, αναδεικνύει όμως και σημαντικά ζητήματα. Βασικότερο όλων, η αναγκαιότητα της οικολογικής ισορροπίας και του σεβασμού στο περιβάλλον.

Το μουσείο της Στυμφαλίας δεν περιλαμβάνει μόνο την ιστορία της λίμνης. Είναι ένα βήμα διδασκαλίας για το μήνυμα του σεβασμού. «Μια περιοχή χαρακτηρισμένη Natura ελπίζουμε να γίνει πόλος ενημέρωσης και πίεσης για το πώς μπορεί να σωθεί η καλή μορφή της Στυμφαλίας» τονίζει η κ. Λούβη θυμίζοντας: «Μας δίδαξε ότι μπορεί να γίνει ευλογία και κατάρα. Ας διαφυλάξουμε την πρώτη».
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #18
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 52079

Nemea is really beautiful, very nice for sure
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: