SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mississauga LRT?

11K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Ravager 
#1 ·
I know this is news is quite old, but I got to thinking, what would Mississauga's LRT map look like? Of course, there would be other lines as well, and the Hurontario one would probably go up to Brampton.

Any thoughts?

See less See more
#7 ·
Any LRT on Hurontario and Dundas would have to be separate form traffic, perhaps elevated or underground.

Dundas LRT should be an extension of the Bloor Danforth line instead. A stop at Constitution is not a good idea. It should be at Tomken instead, one of the major arterials and busier bus corridors of the city.

Hurontario is the busiest bus corridor in the 905 and the LRT should be built all the way from Brampton GO to to Port Credit GO.

I will come up with a map of my own when I have the time.

#9 ·
Constitution is okay.......However with Chinatown being right across the street and huge townhouse complexes in the area....it would be better....constitution would be a little bit too close to dixie.

and there are a need for more stops....

i was going to put one at matheson and one at britannia...but i got lazy.....

#10 · (Edited)
Incorporating the Erindale campus, good idea, but could it be done? Wouldn't it be easier to run frequent buses between a Mississauga Rd. 'station' (in this case Royal Credit) to the campus? That way, Erin Mills town center could be connected via the LRT.

I just fixed this up, there's a new 'Eglinton Line', and I've extended the Hurontario one up to Britannia:

Not too sure what to do now though.

#11 ·
You what tho most of eglinton west is so suburban and there is no reason to contiune running a subway there...espcially if woodlands is a hell of a lot more dense and the same goes for south common...erindale GO station could definately use a stop also...it's either make an extended dundas line...(which will be very hard, if not impossible to build), or my ideal choice would be a burnhamthorpe line with stations (MAVIS, CENTRAL PARKWAY WEST (erindale corporate centre). Mississauga road or UTM, and then finish it at south common

#13 ·
oh okay then....well you did a pretty good job condering that you do not know the west side well.....believe it or not there are manyareas on the west side of mississauga that are in need of an LRT service....ROCHE court/sheridan mall, south common area, Clarkson, Erindale corporate centre, Woodlands...and other nearby areas

#14 ·
The Brampton AcceleRide project has an eventual LRT (it's supposed to proceed in the same fashion as VIVA) running from downtown Brampton (Queen St.) all the way to Port Credit. If the 403 busway ever got to the point where they could upgrade to light rail as well, it'd serve as a cross-town route. Of course both routes would probably have to meet up around Square One to capture all the transfers from the bus routes.

I've heard Hazel musing about extending the 501 streetcar west past Long Branch. I'm not sure if this would tie in with the line up Hurontario or not. It'd be interesting if it did. Imagine riding a single streetcar (or whatever light rail vehicle they come up with) from Neville Park to Cornell via Queen, Lakeshore, Hurontario, Queen/Hwy. 7 (jurisdictional matters aside, assume that the GTA is administered by a single transit agency.)!

#16 ·
About the CTrain.
It runs on a transit only route thru theu downtown but as soon as it leaves the core it is completly grade separated with its own tunnels, rail lines, bridges.
There are no lights or traffic it has to contend with.
Very fast and runs every 6 minutes.
Despite people having this view that Calgary is a "car only" city, it has higher per-capita ridership than Vancouver and is now tied with Ottawa for the third highest in Canada.
Calgarians have taken to it on mass hence the CTrains average passenger levels are a whopping 230,000/day serving a city of just 965,000.
It is considered the best and successful rapid transit LRT system in NA.
Also, despite Calgary's reputation as a car heaven, the CTrain is the ONLY rapid transit system in NA completly powered by wind power from wind turbines outside the city. Calgary gets a bad rap.

#18 ·
Gil said:
I've heard Hazel musing about extending the 501 streetcar west past Long Branch.

It's funny considering that it (the streecar) use to run up to Maple in Mississauga (west of Mississauga Road/East of Lorne Park). It ended up getting removed in the 1920s/30s when Lakeshore got (re?)paved and widden to four lanes. I don't know exactly why it was removed, but all I know was it was replaced with a bus route. If you're ever in the area south of PC GO, you can still see where the TTC stop routes were painted onto telephone poles. I think this route stopped just before/after 1974 when the city of Mississauga took over control of all routes in the city.

#20 ·
Calgary also benefitted from a wierd thing, ah yes, I remember......good urban planning.
When building neighbourhoods and highways they also kept in mind Calgary future light rail extentions. They reserved ROW, medians, rail lines, many of the roads small streets do not connect with the next major one but rather people have to drive to the next major intersection. This means fewer retail boxes, traffic lights, and safer ROW.
Calgary wants to have its 15km S/W LRT ext built by 2025 {although it will probably be built by 2020} and have already started to purchase small parcels of land and maintaining and expanding current ROW along the route. Some of the suburban areas it will serve were demanded to be TOD and were planned as potential LRT growth.
The city has planned for the LRT zoning and has made the developers put aside some of thearea along major routes for the LRT........at the developers expense.
It truly does help that Calgary is a head office city, it has the highest ratio of employment in a downtown in NA.
That said it has refused to allow large development towers in the burbs so as to continue to strengthen the downtown employment.
There is also mass residential building going on an whole new develpded downtown communities which will be complete TOD with upwards of an additional 20,000 people in the next 15 years.
Finally, Calgary decided to build its LRT from the city outwards as oppsoed to Vancouver which tries to serve the suburbanites first. All three lines go directly downtown.
Calgary's CTrain carries the same number of people as Vancouver's SkyTrain yet SkyTrain is 7km longer and serves a metro more than twice Calgary's population.
The CTrain in current dollars has cost about $980mil while Vancouver's SkyTrain has cost approx $3.5Bil.
You need money but I think more so visionary mayors and council, proper urban planners, and political will.

#22 ·
ssiguy2 said:
Calgary also benefitted from a wierd thing, ah yes, I remember......good urban planning.
When building neighbourhoods and highways they also kept in mind Calgary future light rail extentions. They reserved ROW, medians, rail lines, many of the roads small streets do not connect with the next major one but rather people have to drive to the next major intersection. This means fewer retail boxes, traffic lights, and safer ROW.
Calgary wants to have its 15km S/W LRT ext built by 2025 {although it will probably be built by 2020} and have already started to purchase small parcels of land and maintaining and expanding current ROW along the route. Some of the suburban areas it will serve were demanded to be TOD and were planned as potential LRT growth.
The city has planned for the LRT zoning and has made the developers put aside some of thearea along major routes for the LRT........at the developers expense.
It truly does help that Calgary is a head office city, it has the highest ratio of employment in a downtown in NA.
That said it has refused to allow large development towers in the burbs so as to continue to strengthen the downtown employment.
There is also mass residential building going on an whole new develpded downtown communities which will be complete TOD with upwards of an additional 20,000 people in the next 15 years.
Finally, Calgary decided to build its LRT from the city outwards as oppsoed to Vancouver which tries to serve the suburbanites first. All three lines go directly downtown.
Calgary's CTrain carries the same number of people as Vancouver's SkyTrain yet SkyTrain is 7km longer and serves a metro more than twice Calgary's population.
The CTrain in current dollars has cost about $980mil while Vancouver's SkyTrain has cost approx $3.5Bil.
You need money but I think more so visionary mayors and council, proper urban planners, and political will.
Calgary is so cool! I should really visit it someday as I am curious on how it will measure up to Portland. The way you describe it, that city should also be considered a model for urban planning....just like Portland. I hope Missisuaga follows our example... :yes:

#23 · (Edited)
With whatever is left of its undeveloped land. Maybe in the west and north ends. Or along the, uh - 403.

Plus, the province has put the brakes on sprawl, and Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, and York Region all have seperate transit systems. We all know how much Mississauga likes to co-operate with Toronto.

#26 ·
^^I would say that the LRT system should contain:

Yellow Line--Hurontario--From Lakeshore to BC
Red Line--Erin Mills--Meadowvale Town Centre to Dundas
Blue Line--Eglinton--Erin Mills Town Centre to Pearson
Black Line--Dundas_Winston Churchill_Burnhamthrope_Dixie

Legend
--Name-- =Street the LRT follows
--Name to Name=Starting and Ending points of the LRT
--_Name_Name=The LRT goes through the names followed(A loop)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.