daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2005, 06:02 PM   #21
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon83
No! St. Paul's is the second largest in Europe ( and of the world too), look above. Liverpool Cathedral is not in the list.
Yeah I saw the list. It's not complete and out of date. It's an accurate ranking of the length (though not volumetric size) of the traditional and famous cathedrals in Europe but it's not comprehensive. Liverpool was built in the early 20th century and it is famously the largest cathedral in Britain and the largest protestant cathedral in the world. Yamoussoukro is very recent and even less well known (Ivory Coast is not on most people's radar screens). However it is claimed as the largest cathedral in the world.

Last edited by Monkey; September 22nd, 2005 at 06:17 PM.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #22
blimey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I went inside St. Paul's about two weeks ago and i can tell you it was the best 」7 i spent in my life. It took ages to climb up but it was definately worth it. The views from the whisper and stone galleries were already amazing enough, but views from the golden gallery! ******* hell! You can see pretty much every single London landmark from up there! Even the Wembley stadium arch!
blimey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #23
Cosa dire cosa fare

Likes (Received): 77

The cathedral of which I sing in the choir is also in that long churches list (Antwerp).
ャ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #24
Monkey
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey
I went inside St. Paul's about two weeks ago and i can tell you it was the best 」7 i spent in my life. It took ages to climb up but it was definately worth it. The views from the whisper and stone galleries were already amazing enough, but views from the golden gallery! ******* hell! You can see pretty much every single London landmark from up there! Even the Wembley stadium arch!
」7 is a lot but yes I agree that it's worth the expense. The Whispering (inside at the base of dome) and Golden (top of dome outside) galleries are very impressive. It's also more fun to scramble up the old staircases than the London Eye and it costs less too - the London Eye now costs 」11!!
Old October 8th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #25
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
^ No they're not enclosed volumes. Correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge the only fully enclosed building in the whole of Italy that is larger than St Paul's is St Peter's in Rome.
St. Peter's isn't actually in Italy though is it which makes the largest Italian enclosed building even smaller

That cathedral in Yamoussoukro is massive, yoou can't really see from this pic though, it reminds me of the Trafford Centre in Manchester

Last edited by Jonesy55; October 11th, 2005 at 06:18 PM.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #26
blimey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
」7 is a lot but yes I agree that it's worth the expense. The Whispering (inside at the base of dome) and Golden (top of dome outside) galleries are very impressive. It's also more fun to scramble up the old staircases than the London Eye and it costs less too - the London Eye now costs 」11!!
Yeah, London Eye didn't impress me much. It's good for nothing. Firstly you're closed in some plastic cabin with another ten or so people who are usually really annoying and loud. Secondly you're constantly moving and you're only at the very top for a few seconds, so you can't take panoramic photos. Thirdly, even if you could take panoramic photos, you still couldn't because you're behind metal bars and thick glass that distorts the view. Also usually people get in the way and/or push you around too. And last but not least, it's ELEVEN F***ING POUNDS. FOR A FEW MINUTES.

St. Paul's, otoh, is awesome (and cheaper as well!). Apart from the already-mentioned amazing panoramic views that you get from the golden and stone galleries (i'll post some up soon), you also get to see the recently refurbished interior of the church from the ground level and from the dome (the whispering gallery). Add to that the historical value of the building and all the heritage that you have inside, also the fact that you get to hang around the place as much as you want, it beats London Eye with no competition.
St. Paul's can give you a nice day out for 」7 while London Eye gives you a few minutes trapped inside a plastic cabin with a bunch of people that you don't want to be trapped in a plastic cabin with... for 」11.
blimey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #27
Monkey
BANNED

^ I also prefer St Paul's but I wouldn't be that negative about the London Eye! The London Eye is higher and does give amazing views over Big Ben/Parliament which London's most spectacular building. You're also closer to the West End of London which is more attractive and beautiful than the City of London. Most of all you can go up the London Eye at night when the great buildings are illuminated - Big Ben/Parliament bathed in golden light, St Paul's in white light, etc etc....
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #28
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

They charge you 5 to enter the Berliner Dom (I'm not even talking about going on a viewing platform). Since I'm paying church taxes I just entered the building w/o getting a ticket, greedy a-holes.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote