daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Rate-a 'Scraper

Rate-a 'Scraper For judging the best in tall buildings

View Poll Results: ?
10 35 12.20%
9 58 20.21%
8 74 25.78%
7 45 15.68%
6 20 6.97%
5 19 6.62%
4 12 4.18%
3 4 1.39%
2 10 3.48%
1 10 3.48%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 30th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #61
jolon
Sense Offender

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMan
1/10, it whistles in the wind because of that awful blade.
This is clearly not you actual opinion of the building, because if it was you would be a complete idiot. Stop making your fellow brummies look like bunch of jealous twats.

I've given it a 7/10. But after thinking about it for a bit longer, that should be an 8. I'm just not sure about the way the cladding on the sheer face changes half way up, it's too distracting. Plus the blade could have been better. Other than that, the imense scale and slenderness of this tower makes it great.

Sponsored Links

Old July 30th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #62
hammerb24

Likes (Received): 19

I very much agree that pictures don't do it full justice. It's impact on the skyline is fantastic, the way it sticks out from a distance. It reminds in terms of impact of Blackpool Tower the way it just looms out as you head round the motorway past the airport.

It's fair to say that none of the Beetham towers are cutting edge but they are good solid quality and make an impact in their surroundings. An 8 from me.
hammerb24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:51 AM   #63
mistertee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I'm not Manchester's biggest fan but ...

10/10 It's MASSIVE! In all respects. It's the first proper skyscraper built outside of London. The best thing is they just seemed to "do it". It was announced one day and the next day it was 100m high, nearly.

It's "boxy", true. It's just a box with a bit missing from the bottom I guess. But it's a massive fuck-off skyscraper, the likes of which can only be found in London and now Manchester.

It would be a pleasure to hurl myself from the roof of this thing (has anybody, yet?). Hopefully Leeds' "Lumiere" will start to soar soon, but it will never be as significant as this, the first.

Manchester (fittingly so) wins the race to be the first English provincial city with a bona-fide 'scraper. This beast deserves it. A monumental building.
mistertee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 02:25 AM   #64
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertee
It would be a pleasure to hurl myself from the roof of this thing (has anybody, yet?).
There's been some base jumpers, and i heard some people were killed in construction- the last one's probably bull shit though.

Last edited by kids; October 16th, 2006 at 08:57 PM.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 02:32 AM   #65
mistertee
BANNED

So there's still an opening for first "Beetham Suicide" then? Interesting.
mistertee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:43 AM   #66
potto

Likes (Received): 1621

8.5/10 The overhang and cladding makes this building for me. Its dominant effect works due to its location so I wouldnt down mark it just because I wouldnt think it would suit somewhere like Oxford! The slight overhang reinforced by a subtle change in cladding is a brilliant move that jolts the eye, combined with the cladding it creates an illusion that makes you want to explore and understand the building further.

The cladding is a cascade of movement enhancing the vertical but also reminds me of a dramatic waterfall; this reference is reinforced again by the overhang. The clever bit is that it works both ways imagine a Dali painting of an upside down waterfall!

The overall appeal is a sense of awe combined with a feeling of cosiness similar to that experienced when stood at the bottom of a dramatic cliff face. Looking up at the overhang with its coves and notches inhabited by different birds (Assuming that the residential aspect is clear when people display their different tastes)

Another aspect to this building is a reverse of the nature analogy, it has a strong digital aspect, there is its cascading cladding that could be a stream of digital data, flowing and corrupting and reforming, static and charged fractals and its massing and definition like a confident cyborg!

The downside is that the overhang is not inversed on the backside leaving from what I can tell a sheer face that is slightly monotonous once you have got past the subtle change in cladding. and I really really desperatly wanted the blade to be as the architect imagined and the renders hinted at a sort of digital corrpution or fractal transition from digital to the analogue sky.

This would have completely wrapped up the building and completed the half-implied sense of a vertically mirror-imaged or upsidedown waterfall worthy of the finest from the surrealist movement!

The fractured break reaching into to the sky is one of the aspects of the London Bridge Tower that I find appealling and hope to see in the flesh as it appears in the renders.... hope

Last edited by potto; July 31st, 2006 at 08:50 AM.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM   #67
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Likes (Received): 275

While I can understand an utter twat whose name translates phonetically to 'Flid' voting this at 2, you are beginning to worry me, Erebus555. I thought you were somewhat mature and intelligent! 2?

Bollocks.
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #68
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 43

Beautiful.

Old August 15th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #69
potto

Likes (Received): 1621

Sublime! They look like some computer render vision of the future!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #70
Munch

I have tried hard to like this building... when first announced it offended my senses of good architecture. During construction i was keen. But now that it has ginished it just looks awkward in the photos. It steals the manchester skyline from the diverse rooftops of the dense urban area below (not an argument, just a mere statement).

However... no matter how much i dislike this building... it is impossible not to be impressed in person. The building is, strangely, mind blowing in person. Because of the in person experience this building really is a quality build. A fine addition to the diverse and cutting edge manchester urbanscape.

But... i still dont find it better than number 1 deansgate (excluding the obvious heigth advantage).
Munch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #71
oscar9

Likes (Received): 144

This tower is still yet to look its best,when the square cards are removed from the windows the waterfall effect cladding will be realised.At the moment the cladding looks messy and disjointed
oscar9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #72
kirby21
Tunay nga Ilonggo!

8 / 10
kirby21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:07 PM   #73
T0M
Scousish

8/10 from me. I watched this being built with great excitement - but although I admire the finished product from an architectural veiw-point, it doesn't so as much for me asthetically as I thought it would. I think it will look better as it's joined by more talls in the surrounding area. Just a bit too 'lanky' at the moment!
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:12 PM   #74
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Reid View Post
While I can understand an utter twat whose name translates phonetically to 'Flid' voting this at 2, you are beginning to worry me, Erebus555. I thought you were somewhat mature and intelligent! 2?

Bollocks.
It's block. That's all I see. Manchester had the chance to build something really amazing but this... this is older than old school. Its like the start to a Brutalist revival period and I dont like it. Especially after what I have seen slabs do to Birmingham.... I would have given 1 but the height cranked it up a notch.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:26 PM   #75
oscar9

Likes (Received): 144

Its a perfect shape for this location,see how it compliments the very long victorian facade in the second pic.

[/QUOTE]
oscar9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:51 PM   #76
van heckler

Likes (Received): 48

Lovely, the first one especially.
I can't wait to see the finished product for the first time tomorrow.
van heckler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #77
Bim
Music is my lover.

Yeah, when the finishing touches are made (cladding fully unleashed), then we can make our final judgements.

8/10 already though!
Bim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #78
FLD

It still reminds me of a bigger version of the Hyatt Hotel in Birmingham though, & just as 'boxy' ........ a very 1980's looking building to me!
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #79
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Just in case any of you doubt this buildings presense:

Old October 24th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #80
caw123
Hit the north!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
It's block. That's all I see. Manchester had the chance to build something really amazing but this... this is older than old school. Its like the start to a Brutalist revival period and I dont like it. Especially after what I have seen slabs do to Birmingham.... I would have given 1 but the height cranked it up a notch.
But a tall, thin block happens to perfectly relate to the surroundings, far more so than say, a building like Swiss Re would if built on the same spot. It's all about context.

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote