daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #281
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

How is Gross Site Area calculated in Chicago? The Net Area plus half the area of the frontage streets is what I get from another city's planning department.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #282
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
You've been taking the Net Site Area instead of the Gross Site Area.
Yes, because that's what the zoning code requires:

17-17-0305 Floor Area Ratio
. . . In the case of planned developments . . . the floor area ratio of a building site is the floor area of all buildings on the site divided by the net site area of the building site.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #283
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Yes, because that's what the zoning code requires:

17-17-0305 Floor Area Ratio
. . . In the case of planned developments . . . the floor area ratio of a building site is the floor area of all buildings on the site divided by the net site area of the building site.
If the city didn't want it there, then the P/D wouldn't have been allowed.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #284
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I thought the whole purpose of the Planned Development process was so that new projects could be evaluated holistically, rather than on a strict numbers basis. This was created because a strict zoning code would not allow for unique buildings and development ideas, like the Sears Tower or Illinois Center.

So, this building went through the Planned Development process, WAS evaluated holistically (not rejected outright based on FAR or other numbers), and was approved. Doesn't that mean that this building can be legally built?
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #285
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 05:58 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #286
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
here's a pic I took from last friday

This is exactly why we need more SKYSCRAPERS SOUTH OF CONGRESS. The area looks so dead.
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #287
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 15th, 2007 at 08:58 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #288
Chi_Coruscant

what the hell is that? It looks like it came from Las Vegas.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #289
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant View Post
what the hell is that? It looks like it came from Las Vegas.

That's the little icon from the cartoon network. Remember the incident about 6 months ago with that promotional stunt in Boston?
Old May 5th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #290
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

We had them here, too, supposedly, but they didn't make as big of a splash.
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #291
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Originally posted by SamInTheLoop in the SSP Forums

Did anyone attend the meeting last week held by South Loop Nimbys...ahh I mean Neighbors? They at first had built it up to be solely about Park Michigan but then sort of advertised it to be more broadly about future South Loop high-rise development. I'd be very curious to know how it went....hopefully the city is attending these alarmist nimby-fests to educate the masses on smart planning and design...

Please check out the following link - the group is also soliciting feedback on the Park Michigan proposal:

http://66.146.208.98/SouthLoopNeighbors/Development.asp
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #292
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Originally posted by SamInTheLoop in the SSP Forums

Did anyone attend the meeting last week held by South Loop Nimbys...ahh I mean Neighbors? They at first had built it up to be solely about Park Michigan but then sort of advertised it to be more broadly about future South Loop high-rise development. I'd be very curious to know how it went....hopefully the city is attending these alarmist nimby-fests to educate the masses on smart planning and design...

Please check out the following link - the group is also soliciting feedback on the Park Michigan proposal:

http://66.146.208.98/SouthLoopNeighbors/Development.asp
I went to the meeting last week... and the developer did not show up nor did Fioretti (after running on a campaign that the alderman does not show up to community meetings). A rep said he was at a different neighborhood meeting on the West Side (maybe dinner with his wife!)

The developer did not want to present the project to the group before he discussed it with Fioretti as I understand it.

I don't know why a lot of you are so harsh about the South Loop Neighbors. While a lot of people at the meeting were not for the project, many of them spoke in favor of it. I would say a good handful are waiting to see the plans before they make judgement. I think the meeting was constructive in the sense that it had a lot of feedback from the community and overall I think a fair amount of people had an open mind to the development. I think the SLN takes a fair look at projects and have supported a number of projects over the years.

The group development guru, Dennis McLendon, is very knowledgable to the system and is a big development fanatic. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him. My opinion is the one flaw he and generally SLN has is they are often dependent on the Near South Community Plan, although this is understandable since it was adopted by the plan commission and everyone worked hard to bring it to fruitition. Technically, the plan commission should ALSO use it as a tool to make their decisions. I personally believe the NSCP is too restrictive to building height. I don't think it is fair to label the group as NIMBY's though.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #293
Chicagotom

Last edited by Chicagotom; May 15th, 2007 at 10:39 PM.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #294
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
If it’s facing west it's flipping off all those Printer's Row and Dearborn Park suburbanites with their white little picket fence mentality.
Suburbanites? White picket fence? I typically think of that too when I think of people living in historical converted warehouses that go lot-line-to-lot-line. (Can't speak for Dearborn Park). Don't forget that many of the people that are leaders in the community moved there at a time when it was considered skid-row and undesirable. I think you are allowing your views of a select few who are outspoken skew your view on Printers Row residents. In fact, I would venture to say that the largest group of people in Printers Row are progressive students or urban yuppies. For every Peter Ziv (who does not even live in Printers Row) there are a handful of people like us who are here to enjoy the excitement of living in the big city even if it means that the area around us is evolving in a way that is uncharacteristic to our stretch of buildings.
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #295
PrintersRowChemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
For every Peter Ziv (who does not even live in Printers Row)
Ziv moved?
PrintersRowChemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #296
Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowChemist View Post
Ziv moved?
I don't want to speak for PRP but he may be saying that technically the Folio Building is outside the original boundry of Printers Row. Or has he moved?
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #297
Frumie

Frankly, too many threads get hung up on sweeping generalizations about other Chicagoans and do so with no first-hand knowledge or experience to back them up. Some, sadly are little more than emotionally charged scurillous attacks that ultimately reflect badly on this site and us forumers. I suggest more in-depth research, backed by first-hand facts and broad experience of a neighborhood and its people could carry us well beyond these anecdotal, knee-jerk anti-nimbyism rants. Bad design, bad architecture, poor urban planning, sleezy ward politics, shoddy construction etc., these are all fair game and not those faceless, nameless fellow citizens, who, more often than not, are the real victims here. Just my
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #298
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
I don't want to speak for PRP but he may be saying that technically the Folio Building is outside the original boundry of Printers Row. Or has he moved?
Right. I don't consider him a Printer's Row resident since he is outside of pretty much every single documented boundary of Printers Row. I think it is pretty funny because he complains about the development next door to him when he is in a building floating among parking lots when just a stone throws away are dozens of buildings protected in a historical district. Of all the buildings he could have chose from in that area, he chose the wrong one. Once Burnham Pointe, Pat's Pizza building (which is being demolished today), and the development on Clark Street evolve, the boundary of Printers Row will be much more cut and dry.
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #299
Chicago Shawn

^Rumor has it that Ziv's life has fallen apart. His wife left him and both of the units he had at Folio Square were put for sale, or so I heard. If true, I do not belive we will be hearing from him any more.

Anyway, I can't attend the GSLA gathering this weekend because I will be working, but I hope there are plenty of forumers who will take good notes and report back here.
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #300
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

A precedent worth setting

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...25&TM=83237.89

Stick to the plan
Community group says 80-story tower breaks from Near South Community Plan

By TIMOTHY INKLEBARGER
Editor

A proposal for an 80-story "tall and thin" tower at 830 S. Michigan is getting heat from a neighborhood group that says it breaks from a community plan approved by the city in 2004.

Dennis McClendon, a South Loop Neighbors board member, said the Near South Community Plan caps building heights in that part of the city at 260 feet for smaller buildings and 425 feet for towers.

The proposed tower by Renaissant Development would stand 850 feet tall and contain 376 condos and 34,000 square feet of retail space.

"One of the provisions that's hiding there in the zoning code about planned developments is that they must comply with adopted plans," he said.

He said the city's commitment to such community plans, however, has "not been the strongest over the last couple of years," citing the proposed 45- and 33-story X/O Towers at 18th and Prairie as an example.

McClendon said the thin design of the Renaissant building would not cast much of a shadow on Grant Park, but its construction could set a precedent for more towers in the area.

"If it sets a precedent that all of these vacant lots can now be developed to that height or even higher, well now I think that we have something worth discussing that we are significantly shadowing our premier front yard, our premier open space, for a lot of the day ..." McClendon said.

Patrick Dorsey, who lives next to the proposed project, said he's heard mainly support from people in his building.

"I see it as a tall, elegant building versus a short, fat building, which is going to do more of the shadowing," he said.

But John Taylor, another neighbor who lives near the proposal, said he opposes the project.

"I must disagree with [Dorsey] and I don't think he speaks the sentiments for the people who live at the 910 building," Taylor said, noting that he moved into the neighborhood in 2000. "I happen to live on the north side, so every morning I look out and say, 'A couple of years from now I won't see anything.'"

Neighbor Ryan Lettier said he loves the design of tall and thin buildings, but said most of the high-rises going up in the South Loop look like "garbage."

"When you look at the South Loop, what's coming and what's already up, there is nothing down here, in my opinion, that's architecturally significant," he said.

It still is uncertain whether incoming alderman Bob Fioretti supports the proposal, but an assistant to Fioretti who attended the South Loop Neighbors meeting said the new alderman plans to hold public meetings with the developer and neighbors sometime after he is sworn in on May 21.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote