daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:41 AM   #21
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge
I was just down in the South Loop earlier today, visiting my tenants at 1250 S. Michigan. There's so much construction taking place in the South Loop it's scary! It looks like the Columbian is just about to break ground any day, and there is alot of talk about the continued success of 1400 S Michigan (Michigan Ave. Towers II). I even heard that there will be a street median built south of Roosevelt road on Michigan, to give it that wide boulavard look.
Now that's the sort of infrastructure that generates more investment. BTW the Columbian has broken ground; images on emporis.

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2005, 06:57 AM   #22
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Obviously we don't know the height or design, but Marvel posted this on SSP:

Gives you a little sense of how prominent this building may be.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:12 PM   #23
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
Obviously we don't know the height or design, but Marvel posted this on SSP:

Gives you a little sense of how prominent this building may be.
The image is a little off, because technically, the tower will be on Wabash. Currerntly there is an old YWCA that was designed by John Mills Van Osdel. one of Chicago's first architects on the site. The idea is to restore and renovate that building and put the tower behind it.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #24
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
The image is a little off, because technically, the tower will be on Wabash. Currerntly there is an old YWCA that was designed by John Mills Van Osdel. one of Chicago's first architects on the site. The idea is to restore and renovate that building and put the tower behind it.
Ah, a win win prospect.
Old December 7th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #25
Chi_Coruscant

1000 S. Mich's Still Alive

Condo tower back on track on S. Michigan
December 7, 2005

BY DAVID ROEDER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST Advertisement

The parking lot that is the 1000 S. Michigan site is one of the largest gaps in the streetwall that serves as a backdrop for Grant Park. But development plans are on track for the site now that it has new owners.

Oak Brook-based Renaissant Development Group LLC, where veteran builder Warren Barr is president, has purchased the site from a group headed by Guy Gardner, who secured city approval to build there but never could line up financing. Barr will pursue Gardner's objective of a 40-story, 350-unit condo tower designed by Chicago's DeStefano and Partners Ltd.

Barr declined to comment on terms but a source said the entire development site, which includes parcels on Wabash that could be built on later, went for $43.8 million. Its value was enhanced because Gardner, even as he was struggling to pay lenders, managed to get his plans through a long and expensive zoning process.

A sales office will open on the site by late January and construction could begin in October, Barr said, adding that he's evaluating "two or three'' proposals for construction loans. He said he hopes to make a positive impact on the southern end of the Historic Michigan Boulevard District.

The project could generate sales leads for another deal Barr contemplates in the same neighborhood at 830 S. Michigan. Barr has shown community groups plans for a 70-story condo tower that would be built behind an eight-story former YMCA at that location. He said the scope of that project is still under discussion with the city.

The former Y would be preserved because it's viewed as integral to the landmark streetwall.

For the new construction at 1000 S. Michigan, Barr said the DeStefano design makes ample use of terra cotta to make it fit with adjacent structures that date from the early 20th century.

Under Gardner's ownership, the project's sales team reported that buyers reserved 240 units with nonrefundable deposits. Barr said he's going through those deals to see which are solid and has confirmed 150 so far. The discrepancy reflects the project's drawn-out nature and not any dishonesty by the seller, Barr said. "They've been very open with us throughout this process. Their word has never been a problem,'' he said.

Gardner, who could not be reached for comment, has been involved in several small-scale projects but was new to the high-rise game. He's part of the family that used to own Chicago's Soft Sheen hair care firm.

Despite having financial headaches over 1000 S. Michigan, Gardner apparently gets a hefty profit from the sale. Property records indicate his partnership acquired some of the parcels included in the development for just $4.8 million in 1998.

Barr also gets zoning authority for two 32-story buildings on Wabash. They would contain about 323 units and would be built if demand warrants
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #26
Lower Wacker

bvic i got a ? on ssp you said you saw the design or sometin i gotta know, i know you said thin, but like is this building goin to blow us away or is it going to be mediocre i guess im excited for a building that will have such an impact on the skyline i never realized just how south it is. or did you like just see a drawing? o also when is it gonna be released i thought it was supposed to be released before 2006....btw this is about 830 s michigan
Lower Wacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #27
ChgoLvr83

Likes (Received): 1

I have been wondering about this building for the longest also. This, the Studio/Gang tower and Mandarin Oriental seem to be the mysterious threesome. I think about 830 whenever Im walking around there. For some reason Im expecting something unlike anything else in the city. I really hope to be blown away by its design with the architects at hand. I wont settle for less for such a prominent location. Damn, BVic I hate you for seeing the design. I really do. Thats jealousy speaking. Can you give small details? I guess I shouldnt say I hate you then ask for something. I was just playing. I love you. LOL
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #28
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

yeh im realy curiouse to see this one too. man i love Chicago !
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #29
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

hey steely, is 830 s mich. on your boom rundown thread?
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #30
archijake

the fact that it is going to be designed by pappageorge haymes isn't exactly the best of fates for a tower in such a prominent location

one museum park came up short, it seems too bulky, and really builds to nothing. but if they can pull of something a little more like one west then the only thing they'll have against them is that this building could ruin the feel of the streetwall, that is already struggling to keep its identity at this southern point

hopefully someone is working in conjunction with them, otherwise we'll just have a buch of tall pappageorge towers, bland, similar, and nothing really standing out, apart from their outrageous heights

as for the south loop, I'm much more interested in what isn't happening to that huge track of land along the river. It is the first noticed thing by most visitors to the sears tower sky deck, and had been planned as the original site for UIC, a train superstation, a bertrand Goldberg wonderland, and most recently an IKEA. THAT needs to get off the ground!
archijake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #31
spyguy
Expert

Well BVictor seemed to like whatever he saw quite a bit, so I trust his judgement and think it'll be a spectacular design if it is kept at ~80 stories.
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #32
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

830 South Michigan massing model

Quote:
Originally Posted by archijake
one museum park came up short, it seems too bulky, and really builds to nothing. but if they can pull of something a little more like one west then the only thing they'll have against them is that this building could ruin the feel of the streetwall, that is already struggling to keep its identity at this southern point.
I doubt they had a say in 1MPE's bulk. They were told to cram X number of units in XxYxZ amount of volume. They might have even pushed for an even taller design, but weren't allowed. Given such limits, I think they came out with a great design. There's nothing in Chicago like it and trust me, it'll be on a lot of people's favorite lists.
Old March 28th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #33
Chicago Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by archijake
the fact that it is going to be designed by pappageorge haymes isn't exactly the best of fates for a tower in such a prominent location

one museum park came up short, it seems too bulky, and really builds to nothing. but if they can pull of something a little more like one west then the only thing they'll have against them is that this building could ruin the feel of the streetwall, that is already struggling to keep its identity at this southern point

hopefully someone is working in conjunction with them, otherwise we'll just have a buch of tall pappageorge towers, bland, similar, and nothing really standing out, apart from their outrageous heights

as for the south loop, I'm much more interested in what isn't happening to that huge track of land along the river. It is the first noticed thing by most visitors to the sears tower sky deck, and had been planned as the original site for UIC, a train superstation, a bertrand Goldberg wonderland, and most recently an IKEA. THAT needs to get off the ground!
830 South Michigan and One Musuem Park WEST is the best work that I have seen out of P/H's firm. 830 will look nothing like the pomo stuff in central station, and is in fact a very well done design if built as is. I am afriad the that Madeline Heithcock (2nd ward Alderman) will get it scaled down from a slender elegant tower to a squat uninspiring box. She is trying to get it cut to 40 stories right now.

Riverside Park needs a complete design overhall, the current plan sucks in my opinion and is a total waste of such a prime site.
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #34
Chicagotom

1st she (Madeline Heithcock - 2nd ward Alderman) wants to name a street for a cop killer and now This. What is with her?

If there is a project for the organization that is form from these chicago threads this is one that should go after. The model STR did that included 830 was very cool. It looked fantastic at 80 floors. We need height on South Wabash/Michigan.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #35
Chicagotom

This is 830 S. Michigan, the original YMCA building. This is protected by the Landmark District but will be incorporated into 830 should it ever be built. For those who were ranting about Buddy Guy's being torn down. This is what should and is being saved in our historic South Loop.

This is the lot on 9th and Wabash were the actual 80 story (will see) building would be built.

Last edited by Chicagotom; March 30th, 2006 at 03:06 AM.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #36
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

An email I received...

830 SOUTH MICHIGAN

There is a public meeting on Thursday, June 29, 2006 at 6:30 p.m. ( Jones College Prep, 606 S. State St.) on a very important high-rise to be built on Grant Park at 830 S. Michigan. This is planned to be a tall, slender tower. We have worked for a long time to convince the communities and others that it would be much better to have a taller, thinner, elegant building on Grant Park's south end that help shape the skyline and balance the high-rises at the north end of the symmetrical Grant Park. The 830 S. Michigan tower is planned to be over 70 stories.

With 830 S. Michigan, 1000 S. Michigan, and the One Museum Park high-rises on Roosevelt Road at the south end and the Legacy, Heritage at Millennium Park and 340 E. Randolph and the Aqua and potential Aon condominiums at the north end, Grant Park is one of the hottest real estate markets for condominiums in tall elegant buildings with unobstructed views of Grant Park and Lake Michigan. There are also many condo conversions on Michigan avenue like eh Metropolitan Tower.

We are promoting Grant Park as a community and we want to activate it with more residents and help frame the park symmetrically from Roosevelt Road to Randolph with tall slender, well-designed high-rises that create the landmarks of tomorrow. These types of buildings: will block less light, shape the skyline ( one of the top skylines in the world) and growing, are environmentally-friendly using very little land and having access to public transit and pedestrian friendly design. These Grant Park buildings need to be cutting-edge in design as they will be viewed by millions of people enjoying the lakefront and driving Lake Shore Drive and there will not be any buildings obstructing the views of them. Their design is very important as they will be very visible for generations.

Currently the site is an ugly, asphalt surface parking lot on Wabash and a derelict historic building on Michigan Avenue that will be renovated. We believe that by promoting tall high-rises downtown on Grant Park, we can energize and attract more retail and energy to the once sleepy south Grant Park area. This will also help make the area more safe.

Also, as part of the project the historic YWCA building on Michigan Avenue will be renovated. It is currently derelict. A new grocery store and restaurant are also part of the project.

Thank you,
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #37
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Posted by Loopy in the SSP Forum

Old June 25th, 2006, 03:19 AM   #38
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 16th, 2010 at 11:22 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #39
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

Um what is this "Aon condominiums"?
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #40
spyguy
Expert

^A plan to convert part of Aon in to condos.