daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #41
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

^Hopefully, it didn't materialize.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #42
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy
Victor, your email, I assume is from Bob O'Neill at Grant Park Advisory Council-Grant Park Conservancy.

I think it is very cool that he (they) see a synergy between Grant Park and the existance of beautiful supertall buildings surrounding it.

He could easily be complaining of the usually imagined insults such as traffic, parking, construction noise etc. But he's not. He gets it.

Viva Bob O'Neil
^ So true. Having the support of people like him will help this project. CBP really needs to make its presence at this meeting.

I would also love it if Sam Assefa came. He already won over the heart of Daley--now how about Haithcock?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #43
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks Spy haven't heard about that one.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #44
Chi_Coruscant

http://www.suntimes.com/output/busin...dos26_fin.html
South Loop skyline looks up

June 26, 2006

BY DAVID ROEDER Business Reporter Advertisement

Tall and thin is in for downtown building proposals, and the latest one to reflect that would create a visual highlight for the south edge of Chicago’s skyline.

Developers and architects are completing plans for an 80-story building at 830 S. Michigan. It would be built behind a 19th century YWCA to be preserved for the sake of the historic Michigan Avenue streetwall's appearance.

Warren Barr and his Renaissant Development Group are responsible for the estimated $200 million project, which calls for construction of 376 residential condominiums. Also part of the plan is construction of a 10-story building immediately west on Wabash.

James Carroll, chief financial officer for Renaissant, said the project will tap demand for condos that have guaranteed views of Grant Park and Lake Michigan. Another aim, he said, is to attract commercial tenants to a neighborhood where they have been slow to arrive.

The old eight-story YWCA will be gutted for an upscale restaurant and a spa, Carroll said. He also said a specialty grocer is negotiating for space in the Wabash building. The architecture is by Chicago firm Pappageorge/Haymes Ltd.

Carroll said the city's planning department and Ald. Madeline Haithcock, whose 2nd Ward includes the South Loop, have expressed preliminary support for the project. The building's slender profile fits a preference city officials have shown for tall and thin buildings.

City Hall's most vocal proponent of that approach is Samuel Assefa, Mayor Daley's deputy chief of staff for economic development, and it has been echoed in the zoning reviews of the planning department. The best example of that process is the 62-story One Museum Park building under construction at the southwest corner of Roosevelt and Columbus, another Pappageorge design.

It's taller and sleeker than the developers originally proposed because city officials pushed them to provide an architectural landmark for the south end of Grant Park.

The 830 S. Michigan building, to be marketed as Park Michigan, would be Chicago's tallest south of Van Buren. At about 850 feet, it would rank as the ninth tallest among the city's buildings that are current or under construction, between the Two Prudential Plaza and AT&T Corporate Center office buildings.

Renaissant is due to present its plans at a community meeting Thursday at Jones College Prep, 606 S. State. The meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. Unless major objections surface, Renaissant then would submit its zoning application to the City Council.

Carroll said he hopes construction can start in the third quarter of 2007, with unit delivery in late 2009. The pace will depend on pre-sales. Prices should range from about $325,000 to penthouses worth more than $2 million, Carroll said.

One community leader who has seen the plans had unreserved praise. Bob O'Neill, president of the Grant Park Advisory Council, said the tall and thin trend produces attractive buildings that block less sunlight. "Chicago, Hong Kong and New York are the great skylines of the world. We need to keep creating ours so it looks dynamic," O'Neill said.

Renaissant acquired the property in April, paying $13 million, according to Cook County records. The seller was the Johnson family, publisher of Ebony and Jet magazines, whose offices are next door.

Barr's company also plans two other condo towers in that neighborhood, 40 stories at 1000 S. Michigan and 19 stories at 1255 S. State.

Last edited by Chi_Coruscant; June 27th, 2006 at 05:10 AM.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #45
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Oh hell yes! I think people (at least people high up) have started to realize what we've known for ages.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #46
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
Oh hell yes! I think people (at least people high up) have started to realize what we've known for ages.
What? That we're low down?
Old June 27th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #47
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

What I have so far... I've seen better, more beautiful rendering of this tower, and I will do my best to obtain them.

BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #48
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

That looks like it’s got some serious potential! VERY NICE! thanks Butler
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #49
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

That second photo is pretty cool.....it doesn't seem to inlcude development north of the river though...

...also ....what is the development along the south branch west of central station....looks to be south of roosevelt???

I wonder Victor do you have one like that photo that runs from as far south as that north to north ave. or so...it would be nice esp if it included developments in RIver nOrth and streeterville

forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #50
richardsonhomebuyers

Forumly it could be Roosevelt collection maybe? Not to sure though.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #51
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 16th, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #52
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Yeah - AFAIK, anything you see in the Riverside Park area is still extremely speculative. Designs haven't begun to be made yet, unfortunately.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #53
wickedestcity
BANNED

its amazing how slender this bulding is! in the second rendering its like a toothpick compared with any other buildings!
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #54
Chicago Shawn

I can't go to the 830 S. Michigan meeting because of an exam that I have at the same time. But I am urging everyone to go to this meeting. The purpose of this meeting is for Ald. Hiethcock to gauge the public feelings on this project. She wanted to chop this building down to 40 stories eairlier because of local community opposition, and she will demand the project is scaled down if opposition occurs, because don't forget next year is election year, and she needs to be the 'savoir' proctecting the 'intrests' in the neighborhood from "out of scale, overbearing development". The NIMBYs have already expressed prevoius opposition to this project, especially our friends in Printer's Row, Dearborn Park and 910 S. Michigan (which probably has the heighest concentartion of complianing NIMBY bitches in the city). The NIMBYs will use this meeting to run thier mouths, and once a few start complaining, the whole room is filled the deludge of NIMBY 'concerns': traffic, views, light, shaddows, traffic, density, noise, traffic, lack of privacy, local school overcrowding, setting a precident for the area, traffic, wind, terrosim target......And any of the other bullshit claims.

If little support is shown, this project will be scaled back, so if you want this building to happen, and have thursday evening free, go there and some words of support. Lie about living in the area if you have to, but make yourself heard, even if its just a few words. Ald. Heithcock needs to be shown voters like this building at its full height and they see it as an asset to the community.
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #55
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 16th, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #56
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsonhomebuyers
Forumly it could be Roosevelt collection maybe? Not to sure though.
thanks richard and loopy
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #57
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn
Lie about living in the area if you have to, but make yourself heard, even if its just a few words. Ald. Heithcock needs to be shown voters like this building at its full height and they see it as an asset to the community.
Don't you think the people who own property next to this building and/or live in the shadows of this building SHOULD be the ones voicing their opinions at the NEIGHBORHOOD meetings? I could understand a 40 story building, but this is an extreme building. Don't get me wrong, I am a proponent of it and I live within 1,500 feet of it. However, I think the purpose of this meeting is to hear what the NEIGHBORS, taxpayers, and voters feel and not what college students from the outskirts of town like Jefferson Park or Schaumburg think.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #58
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Perhaps, but even people who don't live nearby can be helpful just by their presence. Not only that, but it would be nice to have people with technical knowledge who could give counterarguments to the typical NIMBY complaints of "too tall/shadows/traffic."
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #59
wickedestcity
BANNED

printer, sometimes the locals cant see past their nose and realize the benefits of this therfore sometimes others need to take things into theire own hands. the people who live immediately next to the developement arent the only ones who are effected by the builing. the building will have a ripple effect everyone.
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #60
headcase

Please do not lie, it does not portray anyone in a positive light.

But I also believe that just people in the immediate vicinity of building should not have as much of a say in a building's design as they do. Most of the times the arguments they put forth are very selfish in nature, and ignore what is probably best for the city at large. Now I don't know what the land in question is zoned for, but the city is zoned the way it is for a reason, and it should not be down zoned just because some empty nester just moved in from the burbs, and doesn't want their view blocked.