daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Chicago

Old October 7th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #41
itsnotrequired

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitEngr
Hmmmmmmm.... It says Phase I is already underway. I'm a little confused by that since the elevated structure linking the Lake St. Green Line El and the Congress branch is already in reasonably good condition... although it has been abandoned for years. It would take limited budget to get it up to operating condition, except perhaps for upgrading signals, maybe building a United Center El stop (which would be GREAT), and creating the route to operate on Phase 1 including reprinting maps, etc.
http://www.chicago-l.org/operations/lines/paulina.html

Scroll down to the "Revenue Reactivation" section.
itsnotrequired no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 7th, 2005, 04:40 AM   #42
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 6

^Great find!

So this article seems to imply that Phase I is completed?

Good news to me
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:02 AM   #43
Chi-town Kid

A Red Line stop at 16th Street is physically impossible? I did not know that. A slanted platform there would be kind of weird to stand on. More reason to build a 16th street Green and Orange Line stop.
Chi-town Kid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:08 AM   #44
itsnotrequired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
^Great find!

So this article seems to imply that Phase I is completed?

Good news to me
Not really. I believe the "true" intent of Phase I is to also get a station built at the United Center. This is also part of the Silver Line plan that was floated around last year. I haven' heard anything more or this plan since then.

http://www.chicagoist.com/archives/2...ilver_line.php

Other work done for the Silver Line included an upgrade of the junction at Tower 18 (NW corner of the loop). This upgrade will allow north-bound trains traveling along Wells to turn west onto the Lake elevated structure. Before 2004, trains could not do this.
Old October 11th, 2005, 04:21 AM   #45
waynelorentz

I know there's no money for it, and probably little support, but here's what I'd like to see:

A subway that runs along the lakeshore. Bus service in places like Streeterville is a joke, and walking from some of the new high rises to the Red Line is arduous. It can only be worse in the winter. There should be a line that follows the lake. It could serve the exploding New East Side, then run down the middle of Streeterville and serve those residents, plus tourists from both Michigan Avenue and Navy Pier, then run north along or underneath LSD -- that's where there's so much high-density high-rise buildings. They just scream "mass transit." The CTA bus routes in the area are unreliable and inadequate. I'd like the Grey Line to do more than follow existing tracks and serve neighborhoods that alredy have service.
Old October 11th, 2005, 04:34 AM   #46
Chi-town Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynelorentz
I know there's no money for it, and probably little support, but here's what I'd like to see:

A subway that runs along the lakeshore. Bus service in places like Streeterville is a joke, and walking from some of the new high rises to the Red Line is arduous. It can only be worse in the winter. There should be a line that follows the lake. It could serve the exploding New East Side, then run down the middle of Streeterville and serve those residents, plus tourists from both Michigan Avenue and Navy Pier, then run north along or underneath LSD -- that's where there's so much high-density high-rise buildings. They just scream "mass transit." The CTA bus routes in the area are unreliable and inadequate. I'd like the Grey Line to do more than follow existing tracks and serve neighborhoods that alredy have service.
I've suggested this plan, too. The CTA even had a plan for such a line; it just never got built due to the cost. It would have run along the lake up until Wilson, where it would have cut back west, joined up with the Brown Line, and would have followed a Lawarence Avenue Subway to the Blue Line and eventually O'Hare Airport. The plan also called for a second downtown loop which would have served both train stations and handled North and South Lakefront trains.

These two routes would have solved a ton tof transit problems in Chicago and would have dramatically cut expensive bus need along the lakefront. Also would be a lot faster and more reliable, too.
Chi-town Kid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 05:16 AM   #47
LA1

Quote:
Wow. Thank you for your compliment. No, I'm a civil engineer specialized in transit/railway engineering. I work for a private civil engineering consulting corporation. My clients include now, or in the past: CDOT, CTA, Metra, Amtrak, The NICTD (a.k.a. The South Shore), most of the Class I freight railroads, and numerous other transit/rail agencies around North America.

And thanks for welcoming me to the forum, very cool one indeed. Transportation/cars/transit, etc will become an increasingly important topic in the future. Thanks for creating this forum Urban Politician. It's such a huge topic from Carbon Dioxide emissions, to oil dependancy, to pollution, to obesity in the American population, it's all interlinked to the addiction to the automobile.
Do you know Tom Ambry? He is in charge of Transit projects for CDOT.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #48
TransitEngr
TransitEngr

Likes (Received): 1

much agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynelorentz

Yup.... I agree 100%! A line running from underneath the residential high rises all the way up in Edgewater, all the way through Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, Streeterville, New East Side, Loop, South Loop, and then down to Hyde Park and the last high rise residential community on the south side... the South Shore neighborhood would be PERFECT. Many people at my company argue "That's what the Red Line does." But I say... first off, the red line is a good walk to the west of a lot of these neighborhoods, and secondly the red and brown lines are COMPLETELY maxed out during rush hours. This would be an enormously successful line, with all of its stations within a short walking distance of dozens of major highrises. But yes, it would be very expensive to tunnel here along the lake. It's typically cheaper to tunnel in hard-pan soil (loop area), which has a tendency to support itself better during construction, than through softer silty/sandy soil that is immediately along the lakefront. Much of Streeterville (my hood!) is actually just loose fill.

I think 100 years from now (assuming the Human species still exists) Red/Brown or whatever lines exist then will be maxed out 24 hours a day, and this is something people living here will be forced to build.

All great engineering feats start at one point as just someone's idea.
TransitEngr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #49
pottebaum
Minneapolis

Likes (Received): 2

I have a very general question; is it true that all the elevated train bases, made of (now rusty) medal will be replaced with concrete over time?
pottebaum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:27 AM   #50
TransitEngr
TransitEngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1
Do you know Tom Ambry? He is in charge of Transit projects for CDOT.
No, not personally. Is he in "Bridges and Transit"? When you say he's "in charge", is he a project director? Or a deputy commissioner?

I have three people at CDOT that I deal with on a regular basis... honestly I'd rather not post clients' names here, sorry chief. But I will say, that they are great clients to have.

I have met the acting commissioner, Cheri Heramb, once very briefly during a meeting... WOW..what an intelligent lady! She's very impressive, and I think she could do a lot of great things for this town.
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:58 AM   #51
TransitEngr
TransitEngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottebaum
I have a very general question; is it true that all the elevated train bases, made of (now rusty) medal will be replaced with concrete over time?
In general... I'd say no. Selection of construction materials is dependant upon a huge range of issues (HUGE range). From market rate prices for that particular material at the time of design, to local environmental factors, to span/loading, material behavior, to the purpose it's being used for, the list goes on and on.

There will be some instances where concrete will indeed replace the elevated steel structure, and some instances where steel will be used. One great example of (relatively) new steel is the Wells St. bridge over LaSalle. Beautiful steel truss. And some great steel plate girders can be found at Lake and Post Place.
Old October 12th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #52
pottebaum
Minneapolis

Likes (Received): 2

Well, I just realized how I spelled "metal" in my last post--hopefully I don't sound too stupid.

I really hope they can avoid using concrete, atleast in dense, urban areas. I can't imagine concrete 'el bases over the city's beautiful streets. Are there any examples of this already? Maybe Im over-reacting.
pottebaum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 05:38 AM   #53
LA1

Quote:
No, not personally. Is he in "Bridges and Transit"? When you say he's "in charge", is he a project director? Or a deputy commissioner?

I have three people at CDOT that I deal with on a regular basis... honestly I'd rather not post clients' names here, sorry chief. But I will say, that they are great clients to have.

I have met the acting commissioner, Cheri Heramb, once very briefly during a meeting... WOW..what an intelligent lady! She's very impressive, and I think she could do a lot of great things for this town.
Bridges and Transit is gone. Everything is now Divison of Engineering. Streets, Highways, Transit, Bridges etc.
Tom is project manager of Transit projects for the Divison of Engineering for CDOT. I see Cheri everyday, she is cool. I work with the Commissioner's office for CDOT. I know the people who work with Transit projects at CDOT, they are a good group of people.
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #54
itsnotrequired

October construction update for the CTA is now up.

http://www.yourcta.com/news/motion/b...onstupdate.pdf
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #55
TransitEngr
TransitEngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottebaum
Well, I just realized how I spelled "metal" in my last post--hopefully I don't sound too stupid.

I really hope they can avoid using concrete, atleast in dense, urban areas. I can't imagine concrete 'el bases over the city's beautiful streets. Are there any examples of this already? Maybe Im over-reacting.

It's not pretty. I'm a fan of the old steel structures. One huge example of concrete in place of steel (although not entirely concrete) is the Roosevelt stop of the Orange/Green Line.
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #56
TransitEngr
TransitEngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1
Bridges and Transit is gone. Everything is now Divison of Engineering. Streets, Highways, Transit, Bridges etc.
Tom is project manager of Transit projects for the Divison of Engineering for CDOT. I see Cheri everyday, she is cool. I work with the Commissioner's office for CDOT. I know the people who work with Transit projects at CDOT, they are a good group of people.

True, true, true. Sorry about that. I forgot about the change over. My clients are in the Division of Project Development at CDOT.

I probably don't know you personally, but if I saw you I'd probably recognize your face. I love Chicago...such a close-nit town!

***Sorry to be off topic T. Urban Politician... no more, I promise ***
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #57
LA1

Project Development, those are some of my favorite people here. CDOT as a whole is pretty nice to work with.
Old October 14th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #58
TransitEngr
TransitEngr

Does anyone know what civil engineering consulting firms won the planning/design phases of the Circle Line? I read in one of the articles above that CTE/DMJM Harris (both AECOM companies) won a large chunk of it, but from what I understand they are not doing all of it.

LA1.... do you have any leads on this at CDOT?
Old October 16th, 2005, 03:35 AM   #59
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotrequired
October construction update for the CTA is now up.

http://www.yourcta.com/news/motion/b...onstupdate.pdf
^Thanks. Looks good
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 05:17 AM   #60
Planner Shenzhen

Likes (Received): 3

Transit oriented development is the best way to increase ridership on the CTA, and this needs to be done in coordination with the planning department. TOD can't just be nice little pictures either, it meeds to be serious increase in density allowed. You can't have ridership without people, and the likelihood of using transit declines every single foot away from the transit station. That is why the trains that run along the median of the Kennedy and Dan Ryan are so bad. They are located where the pedestrian is not. Saving a money on the right-of-way doomed those lines to low ridership.

ALso as someone who grew up on the North Shore, having to switch trains at Howard was a senseless waste of time each and every trip.
Planner Shenzhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote