daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #341
shockw4ve

Likes (Received): 18

This thread definately needs moderation.
shockw4ve no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #342
cfloryan
cfloryan

Likes (Received): 4

I've been on Indian highways, both regular national highways and what in India they claim to be "freeways." Frankly they're horrible and incredibly dangerous. Massive potholes, very poor, sometimes nonexistant lane markings, hundreds of peasants walking on the sides of the road, trucks travelling 40km/hour on the inside lane with cars zooming between them at 100-130km/h, few grade-separated intersections, no acceleration lanes, streams of ox carts (or camel carts in Rajasthan). We even passed cars travelling on the wrong side of the "freeway" on the Delhi-Agra route. The Delhi-Jaipur "freeway" even had a tree growing out from the middle of it! I kid you not!

And yes, Delhi-Agra and Delhi-Jaipur were actually marked as freeways on our map!
cfloryan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #343
xInfamuzPunjabix

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfloryan
I've been on Indian highways, both regular national highways and what in India they claim to be "freeways." Frankly they're horrible and incredibly dangerous. Massive potholes, very poor, sometimes nonexistant lane markings, hundreds of peasants walking on the sides of the road, trucks travelling 40km/hour on the inside lane with cars zooming between them at 100-130km/h, few grade-separated intersections, no acceleration lanes, streams of ox carts (or camel carts in Rajasthan). We even passed cars travelling on the wrong side of the "freeway" on the Delhi-Agra route. The Delhi-Jaipur "freeway" even had a tree growing out from the middle of it! I kid you not!

And yes, Delhi-Agra and Delhi-Jaipur were actually marked as freeways on our map!
i've seen that too,
Trucks full of goods going on the wrong side of the highway, plus most of the people dont follow the lanes on the highways, they always drive in the middle of those white lines
xInfamuzPunjabix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #344
shockw4ve

Actually .. India has left hand side traffic
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #345
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 14114

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockw4ve

I think they are referring to people driving on the wrong side (taking short cuts).

Some people get upset that many of the roads pictures they see here doesn't fit in with their closed box images of India. They think that somehow these pictures are all made up and untrue.

No sane Indian claims that we have superb roads and excellent drivers. So to try to run down the new projects by making generalizations (and exaggerations) is more out of spite than out of reason.

Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #346
Suncity
By the ocean

photo copyright Kunal Bhatia

Old August 16th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #347
Suncity
By the ocean

NH4

photo copyright ez2axs

Old August 16th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #348
shockw4ve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity
I think they are referring to people driving on the wrong side (taking short cuts).

Some people get upset that many of the roads pictures they see here doesn't fit in with their closed box images of India. They think that somehow these pictures are all made up and untrue.

No sane Indian claims that we have superb roads and excellent drivers. So to try to run down the new projects by making generalizations (and exaggerations) is more out of spite than out of reason.

I was being sarcastic

And yes i agree with you.
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #349
Suncity
By the ocean

BTW India has no 'freeways' and I doubt there are any maps that claim that there are 'freeways'

NH8
photo copyright designtrash

Old August 16th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #350
shockw4ve

WE HW

Last edited by shockw4ve; August 16th, 2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #351
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6555

wow, i've never heard that the Indian's drive on the left side.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #352
kashyap3
Right Wing-ed

its right hand drive

wow the W.Express highway looks awesome

are there any pics of the eastern express highway?
that eventually leads to the mumbai-pune highway from thane onwards
kashyap3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #353
cfloryan
cfloryan

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockw4ve

Yes, I realize that. When I said people were driving on the wrong side of the road, I really meant that they were using the wrong side. On several occasions we saw headlights approaching us on our side of the divided highway (it was early morning and still dark outside). Btw, this was in Faisalabad, a southern Delhi suburb, if you're interested.
cfloryan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #354
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfloryan
this was in Faisalabad, a southern Delhi suburb, if you're interested.
Faisalabad is a major city in Pakistan. Faridabad is a suburb of South Delhi..

The Agra - Delhi - NH2 passes through some of the poorer parts of the country

Photos copyright FerrariFan

Entering Faridabad

Faridabad

A section of the Gwalior Agra road

Last edited by Suncity; August 17th, 2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old August 17th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #355
Suncity
By the ocean

Originally posted by Anniyan

NH 45

[IMG]http://i8.************/24erul5.jpg[/IMG]

NH4 (note the pedestrians crossing despite the barricades - many villagers are still not aware of the dangers of crossing a six lane highway - some never live to learn - only with time and enforcement will such attitudes of "do what I like" will change)

[IMG]http://i8.************/24erviu.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 17th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #356
Suncity
By the ocean

photo z0rk
Mumbai Pune

Chennai - Bangalore
photos by MSK Satheesh

Bangalore Mysore in the rains

Old August 17th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #357
Suncity
By the ocean

Malaysia - India partnering on highways

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3....php?id=214389

Quote:
KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 17 (Bernama) Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu said Thursday that Malaysia's foray into the world construction market really took off at the end of the last century although before that, there were sporadic successes in some countries by companies which were courageous enough to venture on their own.

"India is still our biggest market with Malaysian companies participating or having participated in 61 projects valued at about US$3.07 billion or one-third of our global market."

The minister said this in his paper, "Sharing Experience Among Smart Partners: India and Malaysia", at the Infratech 2006 International Conference in Chennai, the capital of the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The text of his speech was made available here today.

Samy Vellu said although Malaysia's forte had traditionally been highway development, Malaysian companies were also into energy, housing, ports, airports and everything else in the realm of build environment.

"For a small country with a population of around 26 million to become a world player in the span of merely 10 years, I must admit, is commendable."

The minister attributed a large part of the country's success to India for being the first country to have confidence in the capability of a small developing country like Malaysia.

"By doing so, India has provided us with the courage and instilled in us the confidence to venture far and wide into the global market," he said.

Samy Vellu said Malaysia was lucky to partake in India's development at the time when it was just beginning to develop the Golden Quadrilateral and the North-South and East-West connections under the country's Ninth Five-Year Plan.

"The opportunity provided (by India) to Malaysian construction companies has allowed us to walk the talk in our oft-quoted adage 'Prosper thy neighbour' so that you may benefit from their prosperity.

"I think our gamble on India has paid off as India is well on the road to prosperity. But our successes in India were only achieved through smart partnering with our Indian counterparts, the undivided support of India's construction supply chain and the accommodating role of your experts," he added.

Samy Vellu also said that India's current approach of four-lane highways and connecting to ports merited re-examination.

"As infrastructure is neither cheap nor temporary, this is indeed a very high price to pay if at the end it is unable to deliver the full benefit," he said.
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #358
Suncity
By the ocean

Near Bangalore
photos by charles

Rajasthan Highway
photo by zeeshan

Old August 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #359
sravan2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity
Near Bangalore
photos by charles

Rajasthan Highway
photo by zeeshan

Maruti Suzuki Swifts are awesome. Much better than the 800's.
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #360
magestom

Likes (Received): 17

Malaysia to build Expressways in India!!!

India already has a few expressways. The planning stages for an All India Expressway System are beginning! FInally!

An all-India express highway, thanks to Malaysia

August 18, 2006 02:46 IST

The Malaysian government will submit a detailed proposal for building an 'all-India express highway' to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the next few months.

A part of the total investment required for the project would be provided by Malaysian companies, said YB Dato S Samy Vellu, minister for works, Government of Malaysia.

Addressing a press conference after inaugurating the three-day international expo-cum-seminar on 'Surface Transportation' organised by the All India Manufacturers' Organisation, Tamil Nadu State Board, Samy Vellu said he had discussed the idea of an all-India express highway with the Prime Minister at the ASEAN Summit held at Kuala Lumpur earlier this year, pointing out the need for building world-class infrastructure in India to attract more foreign investments.

However, the final plan for the all-India express highway project, including the estimate cost, will be completed shortly and is expected to be submitted to the Indian government in the next few months.

He suggested that Malaysian companies could bring in about 10 billion Ringgits with the government too sharing a portion of the project cost.

The remaining fund required could be mobilised through various sources, he said.

The expressway could be developed in phases. Malaysian government has suggested that in the initial phase, an expressway connecting southern capitals � Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Thiruvananthapuram � could be built.

Earlier, addressing the inaugural function, he said that Malaysia emerged as a key player in the construction sector globally in about 10 years.

It had, so far, earned about $9.4 billion by executing projects worldwide, with one-third of its revenue coming from India.
magestom no está en línea   Reply With Quote