daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2006, 09:13 PM   #441
Amit

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbboy View Post
Dude... if you compare the kind of highway (called autoroute) here that adds up to the 12,000kms you have mentioned , you will be dissapointed to see your highways dont come even near that.

Or do you mean India will have 14,000 kms of accessed controlled highways with at least 4 lanes, with a seperator and an emergency lanes?

No offence to india, its good you guys are progressing but its a bit too soon to start comparison. Not to mention that france highways are also expanding and not static at 12,000kms.
When I mention highways, I am NOT including 2 lane highways, one in each direction and with no separation, where you have to watchout for oncoming traffic.

I am refering to minimum of 4 lanes with a separator between traffic in opposite directions. The speed limit is 80-100 km/hr on these highways. Being access controlled is not a necessary requirement for being called a highway.

About 6,500 km of such highways have already been built by 2006. By 2010, it will expand to 14,000 km. It is a major infrastructure program that was launched in 1998. When completed by 2010, it will cost $14 billion.

Since European countries have smaller area than India, I find no inconsistency in the fact that India will have equal or greater highway network compared to them in future.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.

An eye for eye ends up making the whole world blind.

God has no religion.

Last edited by Amit; December 22nd, 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Amit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:32 PM   #442
sravan2569

Quote:
Dude... if you compare the kind of highway (called autoroute) here that adds up to the 12,000kms you have mentioned , you will be dissapointed to see your highways dont come even near that.

Or do you mean India will have 14,000 kms of accessed controlled highways with at least 4 lanes, with a seperator and an emergency lanes?

No offence to india, its good you guys are progressing but its a bit too soon to start comparison. Not to mention that france highways are also expanding and not static at 12,000kms.
Dude go to India. Then go again in 3 years. Then you can relate.
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:44 PM   #443
Naga_Solidus

Likes (Received): 3

You're forgetting the fact that the French autoroute system is entirely grade-seperated, meaning it has no intersections, only ramps.

Most Indian highways are more like A-roads in the UK (they usually have center dividers, but with intersections) and the Santa Clara County Expressway system than M-roads/interstates. I already gave India's grade-seperated highway statistics earlier in this thread.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 05:50 AM   #444
Amit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga_Solidus View Post
You're forgetting the fact that the French autoroute system is entirely grade-seperated, meaning it has no intersections, only ramps.

Most Indian highways are more like A-roads in the UK (they usually have center dividers, but with intersections) and the Santa Clara County Expressway system than M-roads/interstates. I already gave India's grade-seperated highway statistics earlier in this thread.
Well.. I was not refering to details such as the highway having intersections or not. In US, a state highway becomes a local road with signals when passing through a town. But once you are out of the town, you can go at 60-70 miles/hr. I am quite sure such highways are also included in the total network length. The 12,000 km number for France I mentioned probably includes such highways + ramp exit highways.

The definition of a highway is not that complicated! An inter-city road with traffic separated in both directions, that allows you to move fast, lets say 80-100 km/hr or 55-70 miles/hr, serves the purpose of a highway.

Let us say India will have about 15,000 km of highways by 2012, out of which 2,500 km are ramp exit only; that is 16% of total network length. But you can travel at 80-100 km/hr on rest of the network too, except for passing through towns.

God has no religion.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 07:24 AM   #445
Amit

Ok, since some people seem to be doubting my information on India's highway network length compared to other countries, here I come armed with pretty interesting data

Source: CIA factbook

Highway length of select countries:

USA 75,000 km

China 30,000 km

Russia 29,000 km

Canada 17,000 km

Germany 12,000 km

Spain 12,000 km

France 10,500 km

Japan 7,000 km

Mexico 7,000 km

India 6,500 km (Source: National Highway Authority of India)

Italy 6,500 km

UK 3,500 km

South Korea 3,000 km

I may be missing some countries here and there (Australia, Brazil?). But even in 2006, India is in the world's top 10 list.

By 2010, when India will have 14,000 km, it will be in the top 5. Between now and then, India will have ADDED a highway length more than the entire current highway length of Japan. I doubt any country in the list above, except China, will build so many highways by 2010.

India's 12 year, 14,000 km, $14 billion, Golden Quadrilateral & North-South East-West corridor highway program is one of the most comprehensive highway programs currently underway anywhere in the world.

God has no religion.

Last edited by Amit; December 22nd, 2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:26 AM   #446
cyberjaya
KL/PHL/BJ

Likes (Received): 8

Kudos to India!!!
cyberjaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 07:34 PM   #447
huaxia-zhonghua

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit View Post
Ok, since some people seem to be doubting my information on India's highway network length compared to other countries, here I come armed with pretty interesting data

Source: CIA factbook

Highway length of select countries:

USA 75,000 km

China 30,000 km

Russia 29,000 km

Canada 17,000 km

Germany 12,000 km

Spain 12,000 km

France 10,500 km

Japan 7,000 km

Mexico 7,000 km

India 6,500 km (Source: National Highway Authority of India)

Italy 6,500 km

UK 3,500 km

South Korea 3,000 km

I may be missing some countries here and there (Australia, Brazil?). But even in 2006, India is in the world's top 10 list.

By 2010, when India will have 14,000 km, it will be in the top 5. Between now and then, India will have ADDED a highway length more than the entire current highway length of Japan. I doubt any country in the list above, except China, will build so many highways by 2010.

India's 12 year, 14,000 km, $14 billion, Golden Quadrilateral & North-South East-West corridor highway program is one of the most comprehensive highway programs currently underway anywhere in the world.

dude,there are some differences between highway and expressway.in the states,expressway is called interstate highway which means no traffic lights on it.I believe the data given here are the lengths of expressway only for each nation. 30,000 km is also an old data for China's expressway.right now it's more than 40,000 km today.I don't count the hghway at here.
huaxia-zhonghua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:22 AM   #448
Amit

I did some research, and stand corrected We are comparing apples to oranges in the table I listed. Most of the countries in the list are refering to expressways (ramp access only), which is faster than highways on which you have to go through signals when passing through towns. It will be interesting to see highway & expressway data for various countries.

Nevertheless, 14,000 km of 4-8 lane highway & expressway construction in India is a significant infrastructure program.

God has no religion.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 02:22 AM   #449
Naga_Solidus

Likes (Received): 3

The numbers you gave are expressway-only numbers. The lengths of both expwies and normal highways is probably a lot more.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 08:05 AM   #450
KB

Likes (Received): 6844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit View Post
I did some research, and stand corrected We are comparing apples to oranges in the table I listed. Most of the countries in the list are refering to expressways (ramp access only), which is faster than highways on which you have to go through signals when passing through towns. It will be interesting to see highway & expressway data for various countries.

Nevertheless, 14,000 km of 4-8 lane highway & expressway construction in India is a significant infrastructure program.
Exactly what i mentioned...12000kms are the expressway here in france. If you add highways it would be far larger. Besides you are quoting data for other countries from CIA but in India's case, from local sources. That would be inconsistent.

Btw, i dont understand how 14000kms can be built in just $14 billion. I mean, OK India will be quite cheap in terms of labour, etc but somehow i find these two figures not in accordance.

Again dont take me offensive on inda, kudos to whatever they are doing.
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:06 PM   #451
Amit

Quote:
Btw, i dont understand how 14000kms can be built in just $14 billion. I mean, OK India will be quite cheap in terms of labour, etc but somehow i find these two figures not in accordance.

Again dont take me offensive on inda, kudos to whatever they are doing.
No offense taken buddy

The cost of highway construction in India is indeed cheap compared to other countries. I am quite sure of the $14 billion figure for building 14,000km.. it works out to $1 million/km.

This is not related to highways, but I was really surprized (even shocked) when I checked out the cost of building a metro/subway in some countries compared to India.

NYC $1,200mn/km

Seattle $300mn/km

LA, Toronto $200mn/km

Madrid (remarkable exception) $55mn/km

New Delhi $30mn/km

Mumbai, Bangalore (upcoming) $35mn/km

Maybe the same goes for building airports.

I did not realize that infrastructure projects can be an order of magnitude cheaper (around 1/10th) in India compared to US/Europe.

God has no religion.
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #452
IU
->

NH4 in Southern India

IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #453
IU
->

Last edited by IU; December 27th, 2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old December 30th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #454
IU
->

Old December 30th, 2006, 04:49 AM   #455
IU
->

Old December 30th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #456
Kenwen
Mosher "K"

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999 View Post
japan has only 1 highway?
i seriously think they should built some highway to shanghai, from the map, seems no highway there.
this map is bull shit, where are all the huge chinese high way, the map is useless
Kenwen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #457
IU
->

True,A lot of Indian highways are also missing in it .Wonder which smart ass posted it in the first place?[dont have time to go through the thread to check]
Old December 31st, 2006, 01:46 AM   #458
itsmevishal2k4

Likes (Received): 1

alright if u stop jumping the horn and letting ur tempers go this map is jus something to do with the UN for trade routes its not showing wut actually is the highways, this was alredy explained by somebody right after the map was posted
itsmevishal2k4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:47 AM   #459
Veter

Likes (Received): 4

Aah! It hurts my eyes seeing all the cars go on the wrong side of the road!
Veter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #460
itsmevishal2k4

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veter View Post
Aah! It hurts my eyes seeing all the cars go on the wrong side of the road!
idk if ur talkin about cars going on oncoming traffic lanes or the fact that indians follow the british way and drive on the left side of the road
if it is the latter then i suggest u see a proctologist to get
UR HEAD OUT OF UR ASS
itsmevishal2k4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote