daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2005, 05:19 AM   #41
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Likes (Received): 13

During a flood

Well not highways, but I like this pic, altho I think its pretty old.

www.ironaddicts.com
centralized pandemonium no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:07 AM   #42
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariR
Nobody talks of US or German highways in the Chinese thread. Why do you want to talk about China in this. I think there is another thread for your tom tomming.
Some people's sense of nationalism is wrapped around an inferiority complex. I really wish they'd realize the disservice they are doing to their countrymen.
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #43
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

ALL the google earth shots posted here were originally posted by other members in the Indian section.

www.ironaddicts.com
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #44
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

www.ironaddicts.com
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #45
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncity
most of these highways are new 1-4 yrs old...so u probably didnt see these when u went to india...infact the construction in some parts is still going on..including a lot of new expressways...im sure the next time u visit india and take a ride on these highways, it'l be a better experience.

P.S the use of cars for long distance is still minimal in india compared to US or european countries, most indian people prefer the railways/buses and more recently the planes with the introduction of about a dozen new airlines in India.
Not wanting be a troll here, but come on.
''most indian people prefer the railways/buses''. They ''prefer'' it because they dont have a car.''and more recently the planes with the introduction of about a dozen new airlines in India''. The air traffic levels in India are tiny when considering the population.
I can see from this tread that India is expanding its road infrastructure, but from what I have seen the quality of the highways is nothing special ( I can see a number of 4 lane highways with pedestrians and bicyclists on them and the proper motorways hardly have any traffic). No offence but the images shown are more akin to post ''ķil peak''times when images like this will probably be the same in developed countries ie: empty motorways with pedestrians and cyclists.
All the same its good to see India developing. China embarked on its new course 25 years ago. Japan became the worlds second largest economy from total ruin. We could see India rocketing off too in the near future.
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #46
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS
Not wanting be a troll here, but come on.
''most indian people prefer the railways/buses''. They ''prefer'' it because they dont have a car.''and more recently the planes with the introduction of about a dozen new airlines in India''. The air traffic levels in India are tiny when considering the population.
What you is only partly true. They prefer trains or more recently planes coz till the last few years, Indian highways were horrible. Most of the traffic was of the truckers. Now only have the highways improved. Believe me, I have been on them, and a sustained speed of 80-100/110kmph is possible.

The public prefers the planes/railways not because they don't have a car, no not that. India has one of the largest markets in the world. Last year, it touched the million mark in yearly sales. And India is the second largest market for motorcycles in the world. But the thing is these cars/mobikes are used more in the city. There are a number of reasons why long distance car travelling is not that populor. Earlier we had bad roads and bad cars. Then we had good cars and bad roads. Now only we have good cars and good roads. So it is bound to catch up. But then again there is a hitch.The introduction of the LCCs.

The air traffic levels are tiny, coz all these days with govt controls and all, air travel was VERRRRRRRY costly.Only the very elite used to travel. Now it has become cheap with so many LCCs. You can get a Delhi-Bombay ticket for Rs 99, that is around US$ 2.3 or so. That's cheap!!!! There is a flight every 30 min between the two between 6 AM and 11PM.If the air travel is so cheap, why would they use the highway.

This is the airlines order list. You can see so many airplanes are ordered. The aviation boom has just started. Its going to grow like hell. Tho the annual traffic is just 60million, its growing at around 25% a year. Its the hottest sector right now in India.

www.ironaddicts.com
Old September 29th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #47
KIWIKAAS

I am not doubting that the trend is there (larger middle and upper class) in India. I also dont cancel out the possibility of India becoming a very major economy in the future. I can also understand your explanation of the old road situation in India and govt control of airlines.

However I found the statements made by cncity to be totally rediculous. Despite the enormous middle class growth in India most of the population simply can not afford any other transport medium than public transport. That isnt necessarily a bad thing as the world will be going through some enormous changes in the coming years which will put countries who are less car dependent in a very favourable economic possition to grow. I have serious questions as to many of these new expressways/motorways will ever be full of traffic as long as transport is oil dependant.
But if these photos show anything is that India is on the move and I will watch with interest.
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:13 AM   #48
firmanhadi
Urban Addict

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariR
... You can get a Delhi-Bombay ticket for Rs 99, that is around US$ 2.3 or so. That's cheap!!!!
Damn! Two bucks? Are you sure? Do these companies have enough revenue to maintain their fleets?

I prefer drawing to talking. Drawing is faster, and leaves less room for lies -- Le Corbusier
firmanhadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:16 AM   #49
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Yes, $2-10.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:19 AM   #50
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmanhadi
Damn! Two bucks? Are you sure? Do these companies have enough revenue to maintain their fleets?

Well certainly not all the seats are for 2-10 bucks. There are like prolly 10-15 seats on each plane. The earlier you book, the cheaper it is.

www.ironaddicts.com
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #51
cncity

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
I am not doubting that the trend is there (larger middle and upper class) in India. I also dont cancel out the possibility of India becoming a very major economy in the future. I can also understand your explanation of the old road situation in India and govt control of airlines.

However I found the statements made by cncity to be totally rediculous. Despite the enormous middle class growth in India most of the population simply can not afford any other transport medium than public transport. That isnt necessarily a bad thing as the world will be going through some enormous changes in the coming years which will put countries who are less car dependent in a very favourable economic possition to grow. I have serious questions as to many of these new expressways/motorways will ever be full of traffic as long as transport is oil dependant.
But if these photos show anything is that India is on the move and I will watch with interest.
Its not true that most of india's population cant afford cars, yes they can..and they are buying cars in huge numbers..not just the well-settled individuals, but even 21-yr old teenagers are buying. But there is a difference between Indian people and western people...not every1 likes to go out on adventurous road-trips even in their fancy cars..and the Indian railways, even though in a bad condition is very well connected through out the country..and thats the main reason, people prefer railways, its convenient than driving long distance with their big families.
cncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:38 AM   #52
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

[/QUOTE]

www.ironaddicts.com
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:54 AM   #53
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Self edited. Was trying to be "Chanakian" .

Last edited by centralized pandemonium; October 2nd, 2005 at 06:00 AM.
Old October 1st, 2005, 03:07 AM   #54
KIWIKAAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncity
Its not true that most of india's population cant afford cars, yes they can..and they are buying cars in huge numbers..not just the well-settled individuals, but even 21-yr old teenagers are buying. But there is a difference between Indian people and western people...not every1 likes to go out on adventurous road-trips even in their fancy cars..and the Indian railways, even though in a bad condition is very well connected through out the country..and thats the main reason, people prefer railways, its convenient than driving long distance with their big families.
Ok cncity. I suppose Indians also choose for no internet access too?. 18.5 million connections in 2003 (17 per 1000 people. 118th of 165 nations).
Its ok. I can see that India is starting to take off and its good to be proud of this. But please dont post this rubbish.
Old October 1st, 2005, 03:11 AM   #55
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Ok cncity. I suppose Indians also choose for no internet access too?. 18.5 million connections in 2003 (17 per 1000 people. 118th of 165 nations).
Its ok. I can see that India is starting to take off and its good to be proud of this. But please dont post this rubbish.
India's internet users are expected triple in a couple years!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:43 AM   #56
nitin shekhar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
check the other post

Last edited by nitin shekhar; October 1st, 2005 at 06:14 AM.
nitin shekhar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:50 AM   #57
cncity

Likes (Received): 148

The roads in India are really good now..atleast the Mumbai - Pune expressway ..i dont see any big difference between driving on 401 in toronto and the expressway between Mumbai and Pune... except for the number of lanes.. otherwise u can catch speed of upto 160km/hr and more easily on the expressway.
cncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:09 AM   #58
desiguy8179
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

well u cant compare 401 to any highway in india,one problem with indian highways is its open to all bullock carts,cycles,scooters,cars plus you have these annoying traffic lights on highways that break ur journey too often..so it takes along time to travel between cities there
desiguy8179 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:14 AM   #59
nitin shekhar
BANNED

Quote:

In some sense, it's quite true. indians don't have consumer mindset. Poorer countries than India has more "anything" per 1000 people. Just check WB report. More internet connection is not a sign of "richness". China has highest phone density in world. Does that mean chinese are richest. But Things are changing in India. Atleast consumer mindset is definetly changing. 10 years from now, you will not believe that India was so much behind in 2005.
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:15 AM   #60
nitin shekhar
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiguy8179
well u cant compare 401 to any highway in india,one problem with indian highways is its open to all bullock carts,cycles,scooters,cars plus you have these annoying traffic lights on highways that break ur journey too often..so it takes along time to travel between cities there

we don't need 401 in India. India should invest money in public transport. Europe should be our economic model, not north america.