daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 1st, 2005, 06:45 AM   #61
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin shekhar
In some sense, it's quite true. indians don't have consumer mindset. Poorer countries than India has more "anything" per 1000 people. Just check WB report. More internet connection is not a sign of "richness". China has highest phone density in world. Does that mean chinese are richest. But Things are changing in India. Atleast consumer mindset is definetly changing. 10 years from now, you will not believe that India was so much behind in 2005.
China is 82nd in telephones per capita and 79th for mobile phones per capita.(India 125th & 136th repsectively)
What's your point?
And yes... I am interested in India's growth. I'm just not interested in these crap posts.
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2005, 12:44 PM   #62
Gilgamesh

Likes (Received): 21

Let's not destroy the thread people

nice pix!
Gilgamesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:45 PM   #63
cncity

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiguy8179
well u cant compare 401 to any highway in india,one problem with indian highways is its open to all bullock carts,cycles,scooters,cars plus you have these annoying traffic lights on highways that break ur journey too often..so it takes along time to travel between cities there
The mumbai pune expressway is not a regular highway, Only 4-wheelers + r allowed there.
No cycles, scooters,bullock-carts are allowed on the expressway.
The only 1 time a 2-wheeler was allowed was when 1 guy from Mumbai had bought a sports-bike Suzuki Hayabusa and wanted to test its speed, and the only road wher u can do it was the expressway. So he had to take a special permission to ride the bike from the authorities. He completed the 95-km distance in 20 mins.

Btw gr8 pics HariR.

Last edited by cncity; October 1st, 2005 at 01:57 PM.
cncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:41 PM   #64
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Likes (Received): 13

No traffic, but at night, these roads would have quite a bit of traffic.

[img]http://************/al3ms6.jpg[/img]

www.ironaddicts.com

Last edited by centralized pandemonium; October 1st, 2005 at 08:08 PM.
centralized pandemonium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:02 PM   #65
desiguy8179
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

i never seen empty roads in india that too main highways, was there curfew at the time!
desiguy8179 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:06 PM   #66
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Some more recent pics of the Bombay-Pune Expressway. One of them taken in about the same position as one of the previous pics posted by HariR

Please note the existance (*gasp*) cars

Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:09 PM   #67
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

www.ironaddicts.com
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:14 PM   #68
Jai

Quote:
i never seen empty roads in india that too main highways, was there curfew at the time!
Obviously these people whining about lack of cars have never driven on an interstate in rural America between major cities.

Detractors, please. Try unwrapping your mind from inane misconceptions. These highways photographed are all inter-state roads, mainly used by car travellers and short-hop lorries (i.e. small pup semis.)

The very developed railway infrastructure means allows vast majority of travellers to use rail transport to get from one city to the next, very cheaply. Much more so than driving. It is similarly much cheaper to transport product via freight rail.

The roads of the cities are incredibly congested with car traffic, and the existance of mass transit means not many city dwellers bother with the expense of owning a car. They use public transportation within their city, and without, when going from one city to the next.

Obviously as consumerism gradually takes hold, you'll see a lot more cars on the street. However, because of the traffic already there, most Indians with the expendible income would rather spend it on other goods or services.

This is what a previous poster meant about priorities. Not a terribly hard concept to grasp, I would think. Yet some people here refuse to accept the fact.

-Jai
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:47 PM   #69
desiguy8179
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

that was my attempt at humour ,why ar u upset at this .....was supposed to be a compliment and i know enough about mera bharat mahan!
desiguy8179 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:54 PM   #70
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

The Mumbai-Pune highway is one of the best I've seen. They just need better restaurants on the side
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 09:10 PM   #71
Jai

Quote:
that was my attempt at humour ,why ar u upset at this .....was supposed to be a compliment and i know enough about mera bharat mahan!
Sorry, I'm not referring to you and my apologies if it seemed that way. But at some other people in the thread who had initially made those claims and then pooh poohed the explanations given by Indian forumers.
Old October 1st, 2005, 09:32 PM   #72
cncity

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
The Mumbai-Pune highway is one of the best I've seen. They just need better restaurants on the side
they do have a few restaurants on both sides just after abt 25 km from leaving mumbai, there probably is a mcdonalds and some other indian restaurants. i guess 1 stop is enuff for a 95-km road.
There was even a helicopter service which was used earlier for accidents that take place on the expressway, but now has been discontinued. However now there is 1 bus, which is fully medical-equipped with most of the modern hi-tech medical equipments. and yes there are telephone services every 2 km on the road to contact the customer service incase of accidents of any other incidents. ( and they work as well ).
cncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:09 PM   #73
magestom

Likes (Received): 17

My pics of Bangalore area

[IMG]http://************/e6wpe1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://************/e6wpif.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://************/e6wpjn.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://************/e6wple.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://************/e6wpp1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://************/e6wpqe.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://************/e6wprs.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://************/e6wpso.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by magestom; October 9th, 2005 at 05:29 AM.
magestom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:38 PM   #74
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncity
they do have a few restaurants on both sides just after abt 25 km from leaving mumbai, there probably is a mcdonalds and some other indian restaurants. i guess 1 stop is enuff for a 95-km road.
There was even a helicopter service which was used earlier for accidents that take place on the expressway, but now has been discontinued. However now there is 1 bus, which is fully medical-equipped with most of the modern hi-tech medical equipments. and yes there are telephone services every 2 km on the road to contact the customer service incase of accidents of any other incidents. ( and they work as well ).
Yes, there's a McDonald's on the Mumbai side and then there's some stuff on the Pune side, but in the middle it is kind of empty. Also very decieving since you see modern glass buildings that have restaurants but on closer inspection the food is questionable.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:29 AM   #75
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncity

Actually the services you mentioned( the medical bus, telephones etc), are a part of all the new highways I think. I was travelling on the ECR this summer, there was an accident, the bus came in minutes. Was really quick.

www.ironaddicts.com
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:42 AM   #76
Jai

Gosh, I really must try to phrase who I'm addressing better. Everyone's mistaking who I'm talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HariR
No inferiority complex at work here. I wanted to showcase Indian highways to the world and I did not want any commies coming and trying to ruin a perfect thread. My statement was a sure shot way to keep the trolls out of this thread. I don't give a rat's ass abt other country's roads or airports or whatever.I JUST CARE ABT INDIA. When we give people a false sense of superiority, its good. They underestimate us, and that works to our favour, coz we know what's going on in the country, we know we are getting prepared for the battle.They have a chance to know, but their superiority complex comes in the way of seeing things in the right perspective.

AND I KNOW THESE ROADS ARE AS GOOD AS ANY OTHER ROADS IN THE WESTERN WORLD. On my trip to Europe, on the roads, prolly except the fact that European highways have 6-8 lanes, and they drive the other way,the highways over there looked and felt just like when I was in India on these roads.
Sorry, my 'inferiority complex' crack was aimed at the Chinese drones who randomly pop up in every Indian thread and indulge in shrill, baseless sloganeering. This has happened in every single Indian thread in this subforum, with different people each time.

The only thing more hysterical than their raving is the way they fall over themselves trying to 'save face' whenever their preconceptions are dashed in a thread. The people's sense of nationalism and pride is so fragile that even when their self-convinced prejudices are exposed for what they are, they take it as personal insult

You see the same goings on in every Indian city thread in the photo forum, for instance. But, we should let the subject drop, lest more noses are tweaked. I just wanted to clarify to whom and what I was saying before.

-Jai
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:59 AM   #77
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Ooops, sorry, my bad. I will edit my comment.But I did think it was a good "chanakian" niti .
Old October 2nd, 2005, 07:59 AM   #78
magestom

Amdebad-Vadora Exressway. I hope that this is all new.
This is a whole ride on it

rsrikanth05 liked this post

Last edited by magestom; October 2nd, 2005 at 08:13 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:00 AM   #79
magestom

Noida - Greater Noida Expressway
[IMG]http://************/al3ms6.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:09 AM   #80
magestom

New Durgapur Expressway pics (it is being built) by Kolkata. There will be flyovers at intersections. Pics by sudipta_rc

at an intersection near dankuni

dankuni intersection

toll plaza near dankuni - not yet active

trucks usually stick to the left lane

on this stretch it has service rd on either side

lanes merge from service rd into the highway -

soft shoulder on median

a typical diamond interchange (flyover)

curves are smooth but notice the goats grazing in spite of the guard rails

interchange near palsit

running parallel to the howrah-delhi railway line

highway signboards are of good quality, but not all signs are this big !

cars such as this indica are not a common sight

stop line for right turn towards bardhaman - no interchange here !