daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:47 AM   #981
psychedelic

Likes (Received): 1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrikanth05 View Post
*ahem*
Some parts of India have extremely disciplined traffic. Especially Mumbai and Chennai.
Not on ECR though. That road is a death trap at night.
psychedelic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:40 AM   #982
hardcore gamer
Proletariat

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by papperback View Post
nice..you have reasoning for "not following the rules" .

I have seen this behavior amongst indian Pakistanis and b'deshi people.
Repercussions are not strong enough for those committing traffic transgression in India I fear. Add that to general carelessness, negligence of traffic police, and that fact that people take ridiculously easy driving tests or simply buy a driving license doesn't make the situation any better. Hopefully, people will be smacked into their senses one way or another.

And what are you talking about? Los Angeles has some of the worst drivers in the country. In Irvine,Ca, I've had a few people flick me off just for stopping at a yellow light! Don't know who's worse, Boston drivers or LA drivers!!

“O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!”
hardcore gamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:42 PM   #983
papperback

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore gamer View Post
Repercussions are not strong enough for those committing traffic transgression in India I fear. Add that to general carelessness, negligence of traffic police, and that fact that people take ridiculously easy driving tests or simply buy a driving license doesn't make the situation any better. Hopefully, people will be smacked into their senses one way or another.

And what are you talking about? Los Angeles has some of the worst drivers in the country. In Irvine,Ca, I've had a few people flick me off just for stopping at a yellow light! Don't know who's worse, Boston drivers or LA drivers!!
I was more or less referring to "indian state of mind" weather being on the road or elsewhere perhaps it attributes to lack of discipline in Indian domain as you pointed out.
I agree LA has some the worst drivers in United States however its the level of carelessness and ignorance towards law that really makes it "worst"..
In my previous response I was more or less pointing out dare attitude of the member who rather then criticizing "lack of respect for traffic laws" made Indian country as " Training ground" for potential drivers by saying "if you could drive in India you could drive anywhere" ;-))

Last edited by papperback; January 24th, 2014 at 09:10 PM.
papperback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #984
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore gamer View Post
but in India, if light was even red, just honk-honk and go around you, carefree I don't know if it is really a problem per se, I find it quite charming...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #985
papperback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
but in India, if light was even red, just honk-honk and go around you, carefree I don't know if it is really a problem per se, I find it quite charming...
I am sure hardcore gamer would agree with this, Honking is so part of indian culture that even if there is "NO ONE" in front of the driver , he/she still would feel need for honking honking as much the as need for pressing on "Gas pedal" or even "break"....:-)

Last edited by papperback; January 25th, 2014 at 06:48 PM.
papperback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #986
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer

papperback and Kanadzie, this thread is about highways and expressways in India.
The fact that you have been posting disparaging comments about India's city streets, and not about what this thread is about, clearly indicates you're trolling.
Such posts will be reported to the Mods if they persist.
Thanks for your consideration.

Now coming to highways and expressways in India, please go back a few pages in this thread and you can see this topic has been discussed several times.
Of course, there can be improvements in some of India's highways, but for someone who's driven in India and in the USA, Canada and Germany over the past few decades, I can tell you the gap in expressway and highway quality as well as driving sense on highways has undoubtedly decreased considerably.
The photos posted, although not complete pictures, clearly show the remarkable progress India's highways have made, both quantitatively and qualitatively.

chennaisky, invincibletiger liked this post
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #987
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post
papperback and Kanadzie, this thread is about highways and expressways in India.
The fact that you have been posting disparaging comments about India's city streets, and not about what this thread is about, clearly indicates you're trolling.
The thread is called "[IND] India | road infrastructure" .
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 05:22 AM   #988
hardcore gamer
Proletariat

Likes (Received): 270

Correct. Road infrastructure encompasses road etiquette and enforcement of road etiquette. India has to work on both. A lot.

“O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!”

papperback liked this post
hardcore gamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #989
papperback

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post

Now coming to highways and expressways in India, please go back a few pages in this thread and you can see this topic has been discussed several times.
Of course, there can be improvements in some of India's highways, but for someone who's driven in India and in the USA, Canada and Germany over the past few decades, I can tell you the gap in expressway and highway quality as well as driving sense on highways has undoubtedly decreased considerably.
The photos posted, although not complete pictures, clearly show the remarkable progress India's highways have made, both quantitatively and qualitatively.
Dont be ashamed of "Critiques", take those in a positive spirit ,work on imperfections and turn them into perfections.
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:42 PM   #990
ramakrishna1984

Likes (Received): 788

This stats doesn't seem to be correct for me...

http://www.roadtraffic-technology.co...works-4159235/
ramakrishna1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:28 PM   #991
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Likes (Received): 1764

I think the stats from the MoRTH should be the most accurate.
rsrikanth05 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #992
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer

Eastern Freeway, Mumbai

The Eastern Freeway in eastern Mumbai.
It traverses along eastern Mumbai and connects central Mumbai to the eastern suburb of Chembur.

(photos courtesy KB335ci2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB335ci2 View Post
The Eastern Freeway (Bombay) connects P D'Mello road in SoBo, with R.K Studio circle, in the eastern suburb of Chembur…

[IMG]http://i39.************/25txphh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/35kieu1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/5pr60k.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/2s7bexd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/k532u8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.************/2ce0wab.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.************/2hxlj68.jpg[/IMG]

papperback liked this post
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #993
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pals_RGB View Post

Whoa, epic toll plaza. That rivals or exceeds some of the biggest ones I've seen in the Northeastern U.S.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #994
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

That's the Gurgaon toll plaza. I believe there are plans to remove it.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #995
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

As of now, it's shut.
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:23 AM   #996
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Well that was a waste. Why did they get rid of it?
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:51 PM   #997
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

They've not got rid of it, just shut it down/stopped collecting toll.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...oll-collection
Old February 20th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #998
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

The Delhi - Gurgaon Expressway has become toll free, now that the main toll plaza has been demolished. According to the India Times, 200,000 vehicles per day drive on it.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30690679.cms
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 07:35 AM   #999
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Tragic, it was an iconic structure.
Old February 21st, 2014, 06:33 PM   #1000
browsenow

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvivek95 View Post
Hi n20

Yes I am from Belgaum and I am associated with this beautiful NH4 since birth.I have travelled extensively in Karnataka, Maharashtra and Goa,a countless times on NH4 KA-MH sectors.I do find it with heavy vehicle volume all the time since my childhood.Some of the densest sectors I feel could be Kolhapur-Pune/ Pune-Mumbai / Belgaum-Hubli / Chitradurga-Bangalore / Bangalore-Chennai but now much of the Bangalore-Chennai traffic is diverted via Hosur,Krishnagiri till Vellore.

As per hearsay,NH4 is the busiest highway in India-the 1350 km long NH4 connects 4 Metros viz.Chennai,Bangalore,Pune,Mumbai and many other district HQs /tier 2 cities enroute.It also provides arterial connections to Goa,Konkan,Shirdi etc.. This highway is the only one of its kind to link 4 Metros in one stretch of just 1350kms. I do not think there is any other NH in India that can claim this status.Please correct me if I am wrong.
A couple of times on internet too, at some places I have found it being said that NH4 is the busiest NH in India,although I too did not fetch a statistical data of all National highways w.r.t vehicular density.

If someone has authentic data regarding busiest NHs of present times,they can please share.
Driven on NH4, but NH45 between Trichy to Chennai is the most busiest especially during nights. The bus traffic is undoubtedly the highest and combined with trucks on a holiday season during Diwali or shankaranti the volume of vehicles should be among top 3 in India. But I do not have any data.
browsenow no está en línea   Reply With Quote