daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old December 13th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #61
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 45

I've just bin on SSP and there are quite afew buildings that need some drawings doing. Sarah Tower and Citys ground need doing and in the Salford area there are about 6 that need doing.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 13th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #62
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 10

The tower was supposed to be "leaning" and half in the docks. That was all changed so a 3rd building was culled and the slant gone. I believe it's just a bog standard straight up box.
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 04:35 PM   #63
Farsight

Likes (Received): 126

I wish the tower did have a slope. It would look better and it would match that lower building. You know, kinda like this:

Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #64
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
I've just bin on SSP and there are quite afew buildings that need some drawings doing. Sarah Tower and Citys ground need doing and in the Salford area there are about 6 that need doing.
i've become an editor for ssp with the intention of completing, updating and editing the manc lists/diagrams. Hopefully i should be finishing off chrises hard work there so it was not to waste. I should be drawing all of the diagrams with the help of eddyk. I started the harbour city towers a couple of weeks ago, i'll have to finish them.
Old December 29th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #65
dirtyred619
In The Ghetto

Likes (Received): 0

There was an article in todays Salford Advertiser about Harbour City with, as far as I know, a new colour render, looks OK.

Anyway, it sounds like they will get approval as long as Peel Holdings offer the residents a free 3 months pass for the metro, Salford Council originally asked for a 12 month free pass.
Old December 29th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #66
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 331

That is a pretty strange agreement lol
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:38 AM   #67
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Got a pic of the render here, didn't get the article ( i took it using a webcam )

So basically, scc are concerned about traffic problems (seen as there's going to be 600 units, it's understandable) They're making peel fork out 500,000 for the passes.
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #68
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

I do like these, But I do worry about Salford getting all these pairs and groups of towers in schemes.. Its 3 NV's, then 3 or whatever of these... etc etc.. I don't mind paired towers or somet, and NV does work well as a composition for the location, but if these are built, then the sail skyscrapers etc, its just going to be weird lookin I think, SCC need get some singular towers up there to break em all up a little.. IMO
ferge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #69
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids in the riot
So basically, scc are concerned about traffic problems (seen as there's going to be 600 units, it's understandable) They're making peel fork out 500,000 for the passes.
Traffic problems?! There is practically zero traffic down there as it is!
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #70
caw123
Hit the north!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura_Preston
Traffic problems?! There is practically zero traffic down there as it is!
Think about it. The majority of the people living in those 600 flats will probably be city centre workers. The quickest way to get town from there is via Regents Road then Chester Road, which is absolutely rammed at rush hour(then again so are the trams) and pretty busy throughout the day, another few hundred vehicles isn't going to help anyone.

There's a tram stop literally on the doorstep of where these towers will go so it makes sense to entice new residents to use the quickest form of transport in the area, which they might not have bothered with without the pass. But then again, it seems silly to be handing out these passes to people who can afford £150k+ flats while those who are less well off have to pay constantly rising fares.
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #71
Metrolink

Peel get away with murder.

Part of the concent for the Traffic Centre was at least 25% (or maybe 33% - my memory is failing me) of visitors would go by public transport - otherwise they'd get huge fines.

Hence the talks about phase 3 involving a privately funded tram line to the TC.

Of course mile less than 25% of people go to the TC on public transport and the tram line never got built - but Peel have got around the public transport obligations because of the general failure to get more trams.

With regards the season tickets for the Salford people, would be nice if the money could be put aside, along with other money from developments in the area, to build the spur to the lowry, and fund a tram or two more for the line - could be added onto the phase 3 tram purchase. This type of requirement for new building projects, i.e. funding transport, is regular in Scandinavian countries, especially Finland.
Metrolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #72
caw123
Hit the north!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrolink
With regards the season tickets for the Salford people, would be nice if the money could be put aside, along with other money from developments in the area, to build the spur to the lowry, and fund a tram or two more for the line - could be added onto the phase 3 tram purchase. This type of requirement for new building projects, i.e. funding transport, is regular in Scandinavian countries, especially Finland.
Is the Lowry spur really worth it? It's what, 300m to the Harbour City stop?

Considering that Peel are also planning ~1000 flats on the Quay Point site, they definitely should be contributing to some new trams. Perhaps any spur to the Lowry could take in Quay Point as well?
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #73
Metrolink

The spur would be very (relatively) cheap to build.

Although very far from the top of my list of wants for Metrolink, I'd like it to happen.

The number of people visiting the Lowry / War Museum and Outlet village using the tram could be increased by a spur I reckon, and it would also give an extra option for running short journey from town - say run a 6mins service during rush hour from Piccadilly through to the Lowry - and when there are events at the theatre, each alternate tram (every twleve mins) doesn't go to Lowry but contines to provide a 12mins service for Eccles - off peak just run the normal 12mins Eccles service.

As I say, not high on my priority list, but would be a nice thing to have, especially if we could raise the funds from the private sector.
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #74
ForeverSalfordRed
BANNED

Dont knock Peel, they sponsor my team.
ForeverSalfordRed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #75
Potato Man
I miss a hot dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrolink
Peel get away with murder.

Part of the concent for the Traffic Centre was at least 25% (or maybe 33% - my memory is failing me) of visitors would go by public transport - otherwise they'd get huge fines.

Hence the talks about phase 3 involving a privately funded tram line to the TC.

Of course mile less than 25% of people go to the TC on public transport and the tram line never got built - but Peel have got around the public transport obligations because of the general failure to get more trams.
Just to add to this. Information below is extracted from TC's twice yearly exit surveys (2004).

Quote:
How customers travel the Centre

Car 87%
Bus8%
Walk2%
Coach1%
Metrolink Shuttle Bus 1%
Other1%
It may also interest you to know that 65% of visitors are female, 54% live in Greater Manchester and each visitor group spends an average of £103.54.

On a slighlty different note, note that the controversial Giants Field (now rebranded as Barton Square) development is going ahead without Metrolink despite the requirements of the public inquiry.
Potato Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #76
Metrolink

God our country is shite when it comes to public transport - and people wonder why they sit on the M60 for hours each week not moving.
Old December 30th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #77
highriser

Likes (Received): 19

Instead of Peel giving out these passes too potential resident's , why dont they pay for , lets say 4 new trams just for that line, that would benifit that side of the city a lot more,than just overloading the existing trams.
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #78
Metrolink

highriser - I agree, although 4 new trams would cost around £8m.

Maybe eveerytime there is such a development in an area that will benifit from trams / potential trams, a levy coould be charged - as part of the planning approval, that will go towards public transport improvements, after all, one of the selling points of these flats is their closeness to the tram stations.
Old December 30th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #79
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 10

Any buses to the TC these days from South Manc or are we still putting up with the once hourly 23a (Didsbury) and 22 (Withers) services?
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #80
Metrolink

Not too sure, but even from Sale (hardly a long way from the bloody place) it is quicker to walk or tram then Metro-bus it than try and get a bus there.

It really makes my blood boil thinking about it, what's even worse, is when my friends who think nothing of driving there all the time, moan about the traffic jams on the M60 around it at this time of year when they are trying to go passed the fucking place.