daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old December 30th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #81
caw123
Hit the north!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgnr8
Any buses to the TC these days from South Manc or are we still putting up with the once hourly 23a (Didsbury) and 22 (Withers) services?
The 23 is as often as every 20 minutes I think. Shite service to the Quays from South Manc though, alright from Flixton way, but Withington/Didsbury - forget about it.

With the three NVs, two Jones Homes towers, these four Harbour Citys all largely full, the Quays might actually get some decent streetlife going within a few years. Better transport links will be the jam filling, Quay Point sail towers will be the icing, and another cultural attraction will be the cherry ontop of a bloody lovely cake.
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 30th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #82
TheFly
BANNED

I think the best thing for the Quays would be for car access improvement.... unless you visit the quays you tend to drive by.... so if a new link road was built for back end of dock 9 towards Eccles AND across the ship canal at the same point.....traffic flows (and congestion, but still!) and people stop and visit more often?

Something like the Didsbury effect...it always seems to be happening, as bad as the traffic gets!!
TheFly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:54 PM   #83
TheGrand

Likes (Received): 14

Following on from The Metrolink at Salford Quays. Heres the superb bus service that links the Quays with the outside world.....................

wait for it

The 69, one and hour , and dont think it runs on Sundays. Otherwise its a 20 minute walk to Trafford Road for the 51 and 52, which First run poorly at best
TheGrand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 04:59 PM   #84
Shmuckadoodle

Location: Greater Madchester, England, UK, Western Europe, Earth, Space (North)

Quote:
Traffic problems?! There is practically zero traffic down there as it is!
When united were on the otherday, we were stranded in traffic either way. it took us 40mins just to get out near frankies and bennies and on to the main road, which is basically next to it.

The traffic lights were on for 4 seconds at a time. This is a reason i would fukin live there.

~Albert Einstein

City of peace
9462 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 04:36 PM   #85
caw123
Hit the north!

Harbour City has been approved.

http://publicaccess.salford.gov.uk/p...earchform.aspx

05/50434/FUL

2x 94m and 2x 76m. 4 tallest at the Quays. The smallest are taller than the GN Tower, biggest are taller than the Arndale.
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 05:32 PM   #86
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Salfords first big uns! get in!
Old January 2nd, 2006, 05:38 PM   #87
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 333

Great news for the Quays Hopefully, we should see construction begin soon. Isnt there some demolition involved?
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM   #88
WeasteDevil
Salford Red

Excellent.

It's just a load of small industrial units where they are to be built isn't it?
Old January 2nd, 2006, 05:47 PM   #89
WeasteDevil
Salford Red

Then all we need is to get rid of that nasty food processing plant that used to be Campbells.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM   #90
cottonopolis

Nice to hear some real talls going through for the Quays - Shame this is the ugliest development going on at the moment IMO.
cottonopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:14 PM   #91
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

Great news. I take the opposite view. I think these buildings could be some of the best apartment towers yet built at the quays - althogh this will be highly dependent on the quality of materials used.

The architect's design statement makes interesting and encouraging reading. I'll post some of it up later on.
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:24 PM   #92
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids in the riot
Got a pic of the render here, didn't get the article ( i took it using a webcam )

So basically, scc are concerned about traffic problems (seen as there's going to be 600 units, it's understandable) They're making peel fork out 500,000 for the passes.
I could be wrong, but these towers have a Glasgow design/look about them?
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM   #93
cottonopolis

Someone (can´t recall who) hit the nail on the head when they said that these towers look like some past futuristic vision of what talls buildings one day could look like. They are butt ugly. They look a coss between sovereign point and transformer action figures.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:39 PM   #94
Latic

I've got to say I'm not keen on these. However it could simply be the poor quality of the renders which don't give them a good impression.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 10:55 PM   #95
cottonopolis

It actually pisses me somewhat off that we´re getting some substantial talls in this area that really could make a statement - iconic even. But unfortunately it´s crap design that gets the go ahead. What a waste...
Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:09 PM   #96
SleepyOne

I really like these - or at least the potential they promise. A lot will depend on the quality of the cladding and detailing though but I find the retro futuristic aesthetics quite exciting. A few facts and figures about the new development.

600 apartments comprising (1-2 bed, 52,500 sq m)

2 x 22 storey towers, 2 x 28 storey towers

8 retail units (quite a sizeable 2,400 sq m)

800 car parking spaces

cladding - reder, zinc and brickwork

Here are a few images.

The two sets of towers sit on two podiums split by an access road which also nicely aligns with the detroit bridge thereby making a clear and legible route from the Lowry side of the dock over the water and out into Salford.

The plans also indicate some welcome and much needed active street frontages with the retail fronting the tramline and roadway.

But it is the shape and massing I find fascinating. If they get it right, these buildings could be the most thrilling resi's yet built at the quays.

Last edited by SleepyOne; January 2nd, 2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM   #97
SleepyOne

Given its such as massive development I was going to post the desing statement in full given its importance and potential impact but I couldn't get the resolution right such that it was legible. Can anyone else try? Here are a few interesting excepts none the less.

Quote:
"Our buildings respond to the opportunities and potential offered by the surrounding environment. Given the prominent location of the buildings no sides of the structure can be truly considered to be 'the back of the building'. Through carefully considered design, they aim to complement the environment from any of the distinct and important viewpoints from which they will be seen. Thus creating a development with frontages towards both the Quays and Salford."
- This in itself is a departure for a resi tower at the Quays as all so far built have been, to greater or lesser degrees, 'two dimensional' in their facade treatments. Indeed the design statement goes on to say.....

Quote:
"Located to the South of the site are the NV buildings. These three eighteen storey residential towers are in turn located on the waterfront. The three buildigns face onto the water, though are slightly angled westward. The rear of the buildings present an unflattering elevation with inappropriate views from Salford."
- something which has been a gripe of many a SSC forummer! More from the design statement......

Quote:
"While the materials used will be of the highest quality, the massing and ground level treatment will also help create buildings with an elegance in their independent stature. An exciting mix of small retail and lesiure units at ground floor, together with a high quality landscaped public space will create a lively meeting place and an integral part of the quays."
- some window dressing there but let us hope that the developer keeps to the promise of "materials.. of the highest quality". Public space and ground level ameneties are something which are completely absent from the NV buildings, so this again is something of an improvement in what is being offered by this development.

Plenty more to read - the document is well worth downloading so you can make your own mind up but amongst the hyperbole is a really promising development. My only problem with the first two renders I posted above are they they show none of the detail of the windows and balconies puncturing an apparently smooth white facade. Much of the success of the building's aesthetics will depend on how these elements are incorporated into the facade to leave the impression of a neat, slick and imposing structure.

Last edited by SleepyOne; January 2nd, 2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:46 PM   #98
cottonopolis

Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:01 AM   #99
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonopolis

I get the feeling Cottonoplis does'nt like this proposal?
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:04 AM   #100
cottonopolis

Sorry - don´t want to go rambling on. Just really see this as a major oppotunity gone horribly wrong. End of - will keep quiet until more info emerges..

Last edited by cottonopolis; January 3rd, 2006 at 12:10 AM.