daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #1
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3765

Prague Skylines and views

These photos have already been posted in previous threads, but this is a collection of all skyline pictures of Praha. Enjoy!

Prague´s city center skyline is dominated by the cathedrals: St Vitus, Tyn and St Nicholas. But there are many other towers, most of them churches on the skyline. Prague is actually nicknamed "city of 100 spires", which tells a lot about the city's medieval skyline. In the outskirts, ugly concrete highrises with up to 20 floors are everywhere, but there are very few skyskrapers in Prague. The tallest buildings are situated in the southern outskirts, far from the center. The TV tower is by far the tallest structure in Prague and can be seen from the whole city. The TV tower is also a good spot to get up if you want to see the city from above. There is also Petrín Tower, an immiation of the Eiffel Tower, but there you have to climb up sine there is no elevator.

One of the most famous views of Prague - the district Prazsky Hrad a Hradcany (the Prague Castle and Hradcany), dominated by St Vitus Cathedral above River Vltava. More about this part later.

A closer look to Prague's 2 tallest buildings: City Tower (ECM Tower, right), 109m and 27 floors reached its full height in 1986 as the country's tallest building. It was meant to host the Czech radio, but was left incomplete and unoccupied. ECM is about to rebuild it as a mixed use complex. The building will also get a nice new glass façade. Empiria (left) from 1977, is currently the tallest used building in Czech Republic at 104m and 24 floors.

View from the Charles bridge towards the castle.

S:t Thomas Church seen from the bridge. This church was originally gothic, but was reconstructed in baroque style when it was hit by the lightening in 1723.

View towards Salvátor Church and the gate on the east side of Vltava, belonging to the popular and hilly district Malá Strana.

Hradcany a Prazsky Hrad at sunset.

View towards S:t Nicholas Church and S:t Thomas Church with Petrín Park above.

View from close to the Swedish embassy on Mala Strana towards S:t Nicholas Church (left) and the TV Tower (right)

Petrín Tower, Prague´s own imitation of the Eiffel Tower, built for the anniversary exhibition in 1891. It was the inventor Cimrman that designed the tower that pointed out to Gustav Eiffel that the Eiffel Tower should have its legs more apart. Petrín was completed only 2 years after the Eiffel Tower.

Views from Petrín Tower:

Petrín Hill, old town and TV tower.

The nearby Strahovský kláster.

Prague Castle and S:t Vitus.

Skyscrapers in the southeast.

Old Town with to the east with Týn, Vltava and Charles Bridge.

Hotel Opatov, the hotel we stay at in the middle of the far eastern commie block district! The church to the left is probably Ludmila.

Commie blocks close to the tower with a background of beautiful villas and mountains.

Strahovsky Stadion. A football stadium.

The wall right below the tower.

Petrín Park.

TV Tower and the much lower radio tower in the distance.

Prague´s highrise skyline from the left: Corinthia Towers Hotel, Empire, Corinthia Panorama Hotel and the abandoned City Tower. Below them are the "new town" and a street light!

Views just outside the gate at Hradcany:

Prague skyline with the national theatre to the left of the bridge.

TV Tower and Týn Church in the middle. Old town hall to the right.

The churches S:t Thomas and S:t Nicholas in Malá Strana.

An interesting mix of old and new towers of Prague.

For the first time crossing the bridge to the north side of Vltava (Moldau).!

From just outside the entrance of the Corinthia Towers hotel where nice views:

The mirror of Prague in the hotels facade.

This highway goes high above the city on the high bridge Nuselsky most. The first night when we arrived I saw small old houses at Vysehrad below the road.

Petrín Hill with the funiculare we couldn't find to the left and Petrín Tower that we climbed to the right.

Praha TV Tower (televizni vez Zizkov) - finally there it is! At a height of 216m, it is Czech's by far tallest structure.
The views from the observation deck on the top:[/i]

It had became cloudy just in time to when we reached the tower. After all, this was also almost the only time it was cloudy on our trip. After all the windows where dirty and it was starting to get dark too, so nevermind…

After watching the views, we went down on the bar in the lower section (8th floor I think) and had a bear in the bar with a view. It was as cheap as all other bars in Prague despite being in a tall TV tower with a view.

Meanwhile we where sitting there it was getting dark. So we went back up again by the fast elevator to see how Prague's skyline looked after dark.

The view from the furniture department on Billa Labut´s top floor.

I took this picture of the commie block district from Hotel Opatov where we stayed. In the far distance you can see the TV tower, Czech Republic's tallest structure.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #2
-

Prague is wonderfull. You had also posted those pictures on ssp? Great pictures!
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:47 PM   #3
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3765

Now you can see the pictures again. Yes, I posted these i both forums.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote