daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #141
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Vegas has double decker buses but they mainly run on The Strip or Downtown. They don't run on the suburbs.

The Deuce

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #142
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

A few years ago the Greater Toronto Transit Authority (GO Transit) tested a DD bus bound for Victoria.

The plan that was floated was to use the DD buses on the new GO bus transitway that is going to go from the west end suburbs (Oakville, Mississauga) through northern Toronto to York University and all the way to the east end, using a hydro corridor.

Mississauga Transit will also be operating buses on its portion of this transitway.

The thinking was that both companies would use DD buses, but I dont know the latest status of this plan.

Brampton Transit (NW of Toronto) had one bus operating for a few years for charter purposes.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #143
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban
A few years ago the Greater Toronto Transit Authority (GO Transit) tested a DD bus bound for Victoria.

The plan that was floated was to use the DD buses on the new GO bus transitway that is going to go from the west end suburbs (Oakville, Mississauga) through northern Toronto to York University and all the way to the east end, using a hydro corridor.

Cheers, m
The double decker from Victoria was on a cross-Canada tour and was put into service on a major GO bus route north of Toronto for a short trial. GO is no longer running that bus route and the new operator is now using brand new articulated Belgian buses instead.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 05:19 AM   #144
kashyap3
Right Wing-ed

Likes (Received): 0

Mumbai has some functional ones but they're nearing the end of their service and one can hardly find a DD
kashyap3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #145
allurban
All Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
The double decker from Victoria was on a cross-Canada tour and was put into service on a major GO bus route north of Toronto for a short trial. GO is no longer running that bus route and the new operator is now using brand new articulated Belgian buses instead.
The VIVA project http://www.vivayork.com/ itself is pretty interesting.

VIVA was given control over the GO Transit Yonge St. 'C' bus route to operate as their major north-south corridor...logical but slightly unfair.

Anyways, I was referring to the GO Transitway across North Toronto (which also includes a western section in Mississauga)...

they were only looking at DD buses as an option... I believe that in the end, GO will use highway coaches rather than DD, but I dont know what MT will end up doing.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #146
Tcmetro

Likes (Received): 17

Bus Priority

How does your transit system handle bus priority. In Minneapolis we have shoulders on freeways designated for bus use. Buses use these shoulders when traffic is slower than 35 mph. Minneapolis currently is the leader in Bus shoulder use with over 220 miles.

Article about bus shoulders: http://www.metrocouncil.org/directio.../shoulders.htm
U of M website: http://www.its.umn.edu/Research/Feat...brt/index.html

Current U of M Busway:

Bus Only shoulders only cost 100000 dollars per mile, much cheaper than a new lane.
Tcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #147
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

Copenhagen has bus lanes, bus bulb outs, bus only throughways (the street is blocked off in the middle and only buses can get through, they're very popular in Denmark) and signal priority (in some areas).

Bus stop light (the little white line):

Bussluse (don't know name in English), allows buses to continue but stops cars thereby reducing traffic:

Suburban bus lane (bicycle lane on right):

The Milwaukee County Transit System has not been permanently expanded since the late 1960's, before bus priority really existed, and as such does not have any sort of bus priority although a smaller neighbouring system, Waukesha Transit has a couple of miles of bus lanes. Should it live through its current financial crisis, this will hopefully change.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #148
Riise

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
Copenhagen has bus lanes, bus bulb outs, bus only throughways (the street is blocked off in the middle and only buses can get through, they're very popular in Denmark) and signal priority (in some areas)...

Bussluse (don't know name in English), allows buses to continue but stops cars thereby reducing traffic...
In Calgary we call them car-traps.
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #149
RzgR Spijkenisse
Raised in Spijkenisse NL

As I am living in Milton Keyens for an Internship I have watched Milton Keynes for buslanes. I have seen some bus lanes in Milton Keynes bud not much. I think it has only 800 meters of buslanes.

In my hometown Spijkenisse, an suburb of Rotterdam there are many buslanes. There is for example a sepperated buslane from Spijkenisse to the other part of the island. It is apr. 20 km long. It includes dive-unders to cross normal traffic and it has closable gates on level crossings.
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #150
Nozumi 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
Copenhagen has bus lanes, bus bulb outs, bus only throughways (the street is blocked off in the middle and only buses can get through, they're very popular in Denmark) and signal priority (in some areas).

Bus stop light (the little white line):

Bussluse (don't know name in English), allows buses to continue but stops cars thereby reducing traffic:

Suburban bus lane (bicycle lane on right):

The Milwaukee County Transit System has not been permanently expanded since the late 1960's, before bus priority really existed, and as such does not have any sort of bus priority although a smaller neighbouring system, Waukesha Transit has a couple of miles of bus lanes. Should it live through its current financial crisis, this will hopefully change.
ohh those are car traps
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #151
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozumi 300 View Post
ohh those are car traps
Sorry, I have never seen those car traps before personally. In risking to look stupid, could you explain me how does it work to avoid cars getting through ? Is this about the width of the hole at the middle of the bridge ?
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #152
Nozumi 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
Sorry, I have never seen those car traps before personally. In risking to look stupid, could you explain me how does it work to avoid cars getting through ? Is this about the width of the hole at the middle of the bridge ?
well the car trap, allows only buses to pass through due to how buses have a wider area between the wheels while on a car they are not as wide to the outcome is that the car will get stuck in the trap, i have heard of traps here in canada being quite deep and once a car is in it can't be taken out without a tow truck
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #153
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

In many cities in the NL, roads and squares are reconstructed; cars and public transport get separated. It's a mixture of bus-only lanes and lanes shared with local, purpose traffic.

This was a square bustling with traffic - Velperplein, Arnhem featured in the Monopoly board game. Now cars can only enter a parking garage or pass on, the inner lanes of the boulevards are difficult to reach, so there's little car traffic. It's not as if it's forbidden, going there by car simply takes up much extra time.

Buses are equipped with transponders that regulate the traffic lights.

eusebius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #154
Electrify

In York Region, the BRT has pretty good light priority at most smaller intersections, but I find it must wait its turn at major intersections. They are also in the works of building barriered off ROWs through the middle of the road.

In Toronto, some of the Rocket buses have switches on them to activate a light change, though I think this is done manually. Also, I'm not sure if only Rocket routes are equipped with this, or if other routes as well.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #155
phubben
Is it a bee?

Likes (Received): 1

Biogas bus in your city

Does your city/region public transport network use biogas buses?
What kind?
Do you know if it is really environment friendly or just cheaper?

From what I understood, two types of biogas fueling systems are suitable for buses :
-Gas made out of recycled cooking oil
-Gas made out of organic waste

In Lille Metropole we have 3 garbage bins, one of them is for organic wastes (it smells reeeeally bad) that are transformed in gas in fueling plants and linked to bus depots through pipelines.

Here's an interesting link for those of who are interested : http://www.trendsetter-europe.org/index.php?ID=561
phubben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #156
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Almost all of the public bus systems in Iowa in the US used biodiesel fuel that is made in large part out of farm products (I think it is made out of soy or corn). The state of Iowa has always been very big on alternative fuels that use local farm products as it is good for the local economy.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:56 PM   #157
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

We got hybrid buses in Seattle metro area running on biodiesel blend, runs on electric power at low speeds and switches to diesel power at higher operating speeds. It also includes the regular diesel bus fleet, too. They have biodiesel fuel running on ferries, too. Seattle metro area is working pretty hard to get cleaner burning fuel for their city government fleet including the buses.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:51 PM   #158
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

The city of KaposvŠr uses biofuel to fuel the mass transit buses there.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 07:54 PM   #159
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Lille : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=526016
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:59 AM   #160
spindoctor

l'm just looking for a photo of irisbus. can you help?

Can you help me ? i'm just looking for a photo of irisbus. if you have .can you post it for me . any type of a bus .every action about it .thank you.

Last edited by spindoctor; September 24th, 2007 at 04:07 PM.
spindoctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote