daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #1981
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

Quebec City (Jean Lesage) 1,615,750 (+8.5%)
St. John's International 1,600,000 (+4.3%)

I couldn't find the exact number for St. John's. Even the St. John's airport site just rounded the number to 1.6 million.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

bubbalo liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; March 29th, 2017 at 07:20 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2017, 01:24 PM   #1982
The Polman

Likes (Received): 800

@Bubbalo, I miss Eindhoven Airport in the overall ranking list at 4,7m passengers and instead mistakenly Rotterdam/The Hague is standing at 4,6m passengers (while it only has about 1,6m passengers). The ranking by country is correct however.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!
The Polman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 01:32 PM   #1983
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1067

I don't see what you say. Eindhoven and Rotterdam airports are placed correctly.
The only fail I found is the country of Umea airport (Sweeden ), and I've been looking to this table so much.
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 03:12 PM   #1984
bubbalo

Likes (Received): 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevahi View Post
I don't see what you say. Eindhoven and Rotterdam airports are placed correctly.
The only fail I found is the country of Umea airport (Sweeden ), and I've been looking to this table so much.
lol yeah, sorry about that, next time it will be marked as the existing country Sweden
Eindhoven and Rotterdam are correct
bubbalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 03:45 PM   #1985
Tony Klein
Francis Small

Likes (Received): 1

bubbalo, Excellent table that you have produced. You may want to add Harare which had 1,096,375 passengers in 2016 excluding transit passengers. this was 3.7% increase on 2015. Source is http://www.zimstat.co.zw/sites/defau...4%202016_0.pdf

Orion602 liked this post
Tony Klein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 05:02 PM   #1986
bubbalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Klein View Post
bubbalo, Excellent table that you have produced. You may want to add Harare which had 1,096,375 passengers in 2016 excluding transit passengers. this was 3.7% increase on 2015. Source is http://www.zimstat.co.zw/sites/defau...4%202016_0.pdf
how in the hell did I miss this website and amazing statistics?!?
thanks a lot Tony Klein
Old April 1st, 2017, 04:57 AM   #1987
Particle 1
Evolving... Please wait.

Likes (Received): 4395

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbalo View Post
Hi guys,

I am still missing approx 30-40 airports that should be over 1 million passengers

If you have source or estimation feel free to share it

Hi @bubbalo, aside from Ninoy Aquino and Mactan-Cebu International Airports in the Philippines which are already in your list, you may include the following:

Airport = Passenger traffic in 2016

Francisco Bangoy International Airport (located in Davao) = 3,553,201
Kalibo International Airport = 2,711,036
Iloilo International Airport = 1,943,719
Laguindingan Airport = 1,776,353
Puerto Princesa International Airport = 1,644,003
Bacolod-Silay International Airport = 1,498,741
Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport (located in Tacloban) = 1,182,951

Sources:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx2...Zud1ZBdzg/view
https://www.foi.gov.ph/requests/aglz...MzYwOTIxODk1DA

FUN FACTS ABOUT THE PHILIPPINES!
Particle 1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 04:49 PM   #1988
Particle 1
Evolving... Please wait.

@bubbalo, there seems to be a problem with PMs in SSC right now.

2014 and 2015 data for Philippine airports are available here:

http://data.gov.ph/catalogue/dataset...nger-movement#

(The website appears to be down at the moment though...)

Keep up the good work, man.

Old April 4th, 2017, 04:37 PM   #1989
bubbalo

Hi guys,

as I am slowly finding out, the list of busiest airports will never be complete. I could not even find all number for last year or year before, always couple airports are missing. But according to my best knowledge I can calculate total number of airports having over 1 million passengers in 2016.

According to the table below, there is 756 airports, for which I have currently statistics - either actual number or estimation based on the percentage by official authorities. This was easy.

Now I am still missing couple airports which handled more than 1 million passengers last year and with 99% certainty will do in 2016 too:

Algeria (ORN), Bangladesh (DAC), Bolivia (LPB, VVI, CBB), Brunei (BWN), Cameroon (DLA), Cuba (HAV), Gabon (LBV), Ghana (ACC), Guam (GUM), Indonesia (MDC, SOC), Iraq (EBL), Mozambique (MPM), Saint Martin (SXM), Saudi Arabia (AHB, GIZ, TUU, ELQ, TIF, YNB), United States of America (HNL, OGG, KOA, LIH, COS, ITO, BTV), Venezuela (CCS, PMV, MAR), Vietnam (VII).

That is in total 33 airports. Now we have 756+33 = 789 airports having more than 1 million passengers.

However there are still couple airports that is really hard to get more specific info, but I have very strong believe they would be having over 1 million passengers:

Angola (LAD), Antigua and Barbadua (ANU), Bangladesh (CGP), Iraq (BGW, ISU), Haiti (PAP), Northern Mariana Islands (SPN), Cuba (VRA), Venezuela (BLA, PZO), Indonesia (SMQ, DJJ, TKG, TRK), Vietnam (HUI, DLI, BMV), United States of America (MSN)

Total extra 18 airports. Final number is 756 + 33 + 18 = 807 airports

In 2016 the world has 807 airports that each served more than 1 000 000 passengers

I know some of the suggested changes are not applied in the table above (for example renaming Lombok airport, update of AKL airports stats or "problem" with correct numbers of Russian airports) but please let me know if any other changes, suggestions or notes should be applied. Thanks a lot,

Cheers!

Orion602 liked this post

Last edited by bubbalo; April 4th, 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old April 4th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #1990
Particle 1
Evolving... Please wait.

Hi @bubbalo, here's another link for the 2014 and 2015 traffic data for Philippine airports:

2014:

http://storage.googleapis.com/amt-dg...ement_2014.csv

2015:

http://storage.googleapis.com/amt-dg...ement_2015.csv

Old April 4th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #1991
bubbalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle 1 View Post
Hi @bubbalo, here's another link for the 2014 and 2015 traffic data for Philippine airports:

2014:

http://storage.googleapis.com/amt-dg...ement_2014.csv

2015:

http://storage.googleapis.com/amt-dg...ement_2015.csv

Thanks man! It helps a lot, but...
It seems the stats are incomplete, at least for 2015 and 2014, some of the airports (TUG, USU, BCD, MPH, ZAM, OZC, DVO, GES) are missing monthly number in the table, meaning the total year numbers will be different when updated. Or maybe there is another explanation? Is it possible those airports were completely shut down for some time?
Old April 5th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #1992
Orion602

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Hi guys,
as I am slowly finding out, the list of busiest airports will never be complete.
its OK, your airports statistics are by far most comprehensive I have ever seen. You are doing great job, gathering such amount of information must take a lot of work and time.

since likes are not working on the forum at the moment, i thank you for posting it here this way

bubbalo liked this post
Orion602 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 04:55 PM   #1993
coimbatore25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Hi guys,

as I am slowly finding out, the list of busiest airports will never be complete. I could not even find all number for last year or year before, always couple airports are missing. But according to my best knowledge I can calculate total number of airports having over 1 million passengers in 2016.

According to the table below, there is 756 airports, for which I have currently statistics - either actual number or estimation based on the percentage by official authorities. This was easy.

Now I am still missing couple airports which handled more than 1 million passengers last year and with 99% certainty will do in 2016 too:

Algeria (ORN), Bangladesh (DAC), Bolivia (LPB, VVI, CBB), Brunei (BWN), Cameroon (DLA), Cuba (HAV), Gabon (LBV), Ghana (ACC), Guam (GUM), Indonesia (MDC, SOC), Iraq (EBL), Mozambique (MPM), Saint Martin (SXM), Saudi Arabia (AHB, GIZ, TUU, ELQ, TIF, YNB), United States of America (HNL, OGG, KOA, LIH, COS, ITO, BTV), Venezuela (CCS, PMV, MAR), Vietnam (VII).

That is in total 33 airports. Now we have 756+33 = 789 airports having more than 1 million passengers.

However there are still couple airports that is really hard to get more specific info, but I have very strong believe they would be having over 1 million passengers:

Angola (LAD), Antigua and Barbadua (ANU), Bangladesh (CGP), Iraq (BGW, ISU), Haiti (PAP), Northern Mariana Islands (SPN), Cuba (VRA), Venezuela (BLA, PZO), Indonesia (SMQ, DJJ, TKG, TRK), Vietnam (HUI, DLI, BMV), United States of America (MSN)

Total extra 18 airports. Final number is 756 + 33 + 18 = 807 airports

In 2016 the world has 807 airports that each served more than 1 000 000 passengers

I know some of the suggested changes are not applied in the table above (for example renaming Lombok airport, update of AKL airports stats or "problem" with correct numbers of Russian airports) but please let me know if any other changes, suggestions or notes should be applied. Thanks a lot,

Cheers!
nice to c stats of airports across t world
coimbatore25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #1994
bubbalo

Hi guys,

it is already April 2017 but not all of the airports has released their statistics for January. With the latest update of YYZ I am still missing MNL and as usual CGK. However we can have a look at Jan stats with estimates for the missing airports.

Seems January started for most of the airports more than well. Airports in China registered very high growth mainly due to travels for Chinese new year, DEL and BOM are keeping growth thanks to additional domestic routes. Also KUL and ICN registered notable increase in passengers growth through domestic traffic rebound respectively international traffic.

Among the European airports AMS continues with steady growth widening the gap between FRA and IST.
In USA, Miami is experiencing negative growth probably due to traffic shift to FLL, and IAH suffers thanks to oil business slowdown.

DXB recorded more than 8 million passengers in a single month for the first time
DEL exceeded December record of passengers by almost 40 000 passengers and created new record in January
New record months were seen in 7 airports - above mentioned DXB and DEL, it was CAN, BKK, ICN, SYD and SZX

In January very interesting moment has happend - ATL was not longer 1st nor 2nd busiest. Since the beginning of the century ATL has been only 7 times second busiest airport if the following months:

2000-09 - LHR 1st
2001-09 - LHR 1st
2002-09 - LHR 1st
2004-09 - LHR 1st
2014-01 - PEK 1st
2014-02 - PEK 1st
2015-02 - PEK 1st

And for the first time in January 2017 ended up at the 3rd position after PEK and DXB

2017-01 - PEK 1st / DXB 2nd

There is not much wonder why, PEK and DXB are the 2nd respectively 3rd busiest airport in the world so in coming month we can expect this ranking change again.

Also CAN is the 15th airport in the history to handle more than 60 million passengers in any given period of 12 months. On the other hand IST dropped below this mark and slowly going lower and lower (Feb and Mar stats for IST are still in negative trajectory). FRA in hanging in top 15 but it might not be there at the end of the year. ICN and DEL are growing tremendously and soon may took over FRA.

In the graph below you can see the rank of each airport in 12 month period - meaning if we have a table of busiest airports between 2016-02/2017-01 the ranking would be as the last column on the right side of the graph.

Cheers!

knrOctober, erka, Seljuk, Orion602, EasySeven and 6 others liked this post
Old April 7th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #1995
Seljuk

Likes (Received): 178

MSP dropped out of Top 50 - Xian new in the Top 50 for the 1st time

goschio liked this post

Last edited by Seljuk; April 7th, 2017 at 09:18 PM.
Seljuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 05:04 PM   #1996
log0008

Likes (Received): 606

January was a fantastic month. Only 4 airports in top 50 saw traffic drop while 14 saw double-digit growth. Dubai has picked up its growth rate in the last few months (including February) which is great to see.

Creator of the Melbourne Development Map, covering most approved and under construction towers 100+

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/em...nbtdavEYnfFSoQ
log0008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #1997
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

Nice to see YYZ make a showing in the top 30 over the 12 month period Feb 2016 - Jan 2017. It's been a while since that happened.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #1998
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 16068

Even in spite of CNY, Chinese airports are skyrocketing, just take a look at y/y growth rates. I wonder if Beijing's throughput will surpass Atlanta this year or in 2018, they are literaly neck and neck now. On the other hand, we shouldn't expect much form Beijing Capital once Daxing is open, China's big promise is Pudong.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 12:33 PM   #1999
ErwinFCG

Likes (Received): 347

Quote:
With the latest update of YYZ I am still missing MNL and as usual CGK.
According to this news article, the passenger number of Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta CGK in January was 5,083,000, which would mean it jumps from 21st to 16th place in your overview. The airport operator in a press release mentions 'about 5 million' as passenger number.

bubbalo liked this post
ErwinFCG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #2000
The Polman

Likes (Received): 800

Finally positive numbers from CGK! It just had to happen once as the trend at there is, despite a lack of capacity, positive: runways being renovated, Garuda to Mumbai, Ethiopian being welcomed and a huge expansion of T3 that has been completed past dry season, allowing much more domestic flights as well.

The next big thing at CGK is likely the third runway. I'm very curious when construction starts. CGK is in the same role as LHR with runway capacity but when management goes well, CGK may come first, opening up flying to much more Indonesians.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!
The Polman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
airports, aviation, europe, statistics