daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2017, 07:00 PM   #2001
Bren

Likes (Received): 17237

Paris airports March 2017

CDG Mar 17 5,301,769 +3.2% Jan 17-Mar 17 14,900,436 +4.3%
ORY Mar 17 2,536,176 +4.9% Jan 17-Mar 17 7,082,551 +6.6%

http://www.parisaeroport.fr/docs/def...7.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Seljuk, RobertoBancrofth liked this post
Bren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #2002
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1070

Spanish statistics for AENA airports (most of spanish airports and all of the important ones):

http://www.aena.es/csee/ccurl/411/10...Marzo_2017.pdf

In 2016, the holidays of the Holy Week happened in March, while in this 2017 we have them on April. For this reason, the more touristics airports have softer increases or they even loose passengers, however, they will surely show big increases in April due to this holidays week.

MAD: +5,2%
BCN: +5,0%

Seljuk, Mauro Martins liked this post
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #2003
bubbalo

Likes (Received): 925

Almost all busiest airports in Europe has released their statistics for March, so here is little analysis

The first graph shows actual monthly statistics of carried passengers.

In the second graph you can see the race for the 3rd busiest airport in Europe. The dotted line is forecast that is estimated based on % growth of first 3 months of 2017. This year we might already see AMS taking over CDG.

In the last picture are shown 12-month rolling figures for top 10 busiest airports in Europe

Old April 13th, 2017, 08:35 AM   #2004
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3263

LAX came out with their statistics for February! I was interested as this was during the Trump "travel ban" fiasco (L.A. has a pretty sizable Iranian population, a country on the ban list) and also the full start of the Trump effect:

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedfiles/LA.../tcom-0217.pdf

So for Feb 2017 LAX: 5,604,244 an increase of 2.51%. And again International travel lead the way! Domestic travel was basically flat (an increase of 0.98%) while International travel increased 6.54%.
For the first two months of the year LAX handled 12,048,831 passengers, an increase of 4.45%. So not a TON of evidence that the new administration is severely hampering travel into the U.S., at least from the West Coast. But probably too early to tell, we'll have to see, plenty of more months to track in the year
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #2005
erka

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbalo View Post
This year we might already see AMS taking over CDG.
There is a problem though. AMS is already close to max capacity and the Dutch Safety Board has stated that further rapid growth of AMS is not possible because of runway capacity and safety.
erka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #2006
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2208

I think AMS will sneak past CDG but absent another series of Parisian atrocities then CDG will sneak back ahead again a year or two later.

In other news, DUB has slowed right down to 5% growth Q1 17 vs Q1 16. Brexit has led to static UK traffic.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #2007
adevahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbalo View Post
In the second graph you can see the race for the 3rd busiest airport in Europe. The dotted line is forecast that is estimated based on % growth of first 3 months of 2017. This year we might already see AMS taking over CDG.

And what about MAD taking over IST? It may happen...
Old April 14th, 2017, 09:53 PM   #2008
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2208

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevahi View Post
And what about MAD taking over IST? It may happen...
Nope. Istanbul has two airports and 10m pax will move over to new IST from the smaller one when the new mega IST opens within 3 years.

Come back to us on that one in a year.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #2009
MoshiAmsterdam

Likes (Received): 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by erka View Post
There is a problem though. AMS is already close to max capacity and the Dutch Safety Board has stated that further rapid growth of AMS is not possible because of runway capacity and safety.
That is relevant fot the limit of aircraft movements while the ranking is about passengers. When looking at the passengers per plane it's clear it's not a problem for AMS to grow bigger than CDG at all. Average # of passengers per plane: CDG: ~140, AMS ~130. If the planes at AMS carried as much passengers as at CDG it would have already passed it.
MoshiAmsterdam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:28 PM   #2010
tuktoyaktuk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5548

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoshiAmsterdam View Post
That is relevant fot the limit of aircraft movements while the ranking is about passengers. When looking at the passengers per plane it's clear it's not a problem for AMS to grow bigger than CDG at all. Average # of passengers per plane: CDG: ~140, AMS ~130. If the planes at AMS carried as much passengers as at CDG it would have already passed it.
CDG is growing slower because ORLY second paris airport is growing faster
the last years the passengers traffic at ORLY airport went from 23 to 32 million passengers per year
that's the reason why CDG grows slower ! and in the next years ORLY airport will reach 40 millions passengers per year after the inauguration of a new big terminal !(planned for 2018)
paris airports= CDG +ORLY+ Beauvais tillé = 102,22 million passengers per year (66,5+31,7+4)

Bren liked this post

Last edited by tuktoyaktuk; April 17th, 2017 at 11:37 PM.
tuktoyaktuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #2011
renco
Grad heroj

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuktoyaktuk View Post
CDG is growing slower because ORLY second paris airport is growing faster
the last years the passengers traffic at ORLY airport went from 23 to 32 million passengers per year
that's the reason why CDG grows slower ! and in the next years ORLY airport will reach 40 millions passengers per year after the inauguration of a new big terminal !(planned for 2018)
paris airports= CDG +ORLY+ Beauvais tillé = 102,22 million passengers per year (66,5+31,7+4)
On 2015. ORY had almost 30m passangers,not 23m.
renco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #2012
The Polman

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Nope. Istanbul has two airports and 10m pax will move over to new IST from the smaller one when the new mega IST opens within 3 years.

Come back to us on that one in a year.

I'm not so sure about IST. Since the dictator of Turkey is very unpredictable and may become more hardline, while safety and freedom in the country decreases, people think twice before taking a holiday or transfer in that country, and the trend still continues, while Spain is seen as a stable alternative.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!

adevahi, Quicksilver liked this post
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #2013
tuktoyaktuk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5548

Quote:
Originally Posted by renco View Post
On 2015. ORY had almost 30m passangers,not 23m.
yes you read what i wrote ?
ORLY had 23m passengers (10 years ago) but has now 31,7m.
tuktoyaktuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #2014
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10984

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuktoyaktuk View Post
yes you read what i wrote ?
ORLY had 23m passengers (10 years ago) but has now 31,7m.
So ORL went from 30m to 31.1m while CDG went from 65.8 m to 66.5m? By extension, ORL + CDG went from 95.8m to 97.6 m. These numbers wouldn't suggest that CDG is growing slowly because ORL is growing quickly.

The 10 year growth shows ORL + CDG growing from 78.7 m to 97.6 m. ORL did post a slightly faster growth rate but not by much.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

renco liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; April 18th, 2017 at 08:59 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #2015
bubbalo

hi guys,
it has been weeks since last update, but some airport still has not released their statistics (this time CLT and MNL, for CKG its always prediction since there is no reliable source for information)

February did not bring us any new monthly records, perhaps because its the shortest month). Despite having one day less than in February last year some airports did very well, pointing specifically on ICN, DEL, KUL, DXB and DOH. Chinese airports experienced high growth due to the timing of Chinese New Year holiday period.

On the other hand most of american airports showed negative or relatively flat growth thanks to slowing domestic demand.

I am little bit surprised about HKG, because in 5 out of 8 last months airport showed negative growth, and by this is letting PVG to catch up and possibly surpass HKG by end of the year.

Also my interest goes to PEK which is speeding toward 100 million passengers mark, however as written in the annual report, this relatively rapid growth (7% on average in the last 8 months) should be downsizing in the coming months due to capacity constrains. Well, lets see about that, as of feb-17 PEK is missing "only" 4 487 000 additional passengers to be the second airport in the history to surpass 100 million passengers.

Finally CKG is increasing growth compare to very flat year 2016, in my estimation I will be little more courageous than last year. Hopefully by end of this year CKG would join 60 million passengers club.

Very soon I expect MNL and NRT to have more than 40 million passengers which would mean that 48 airports out of top 50 would be handling 40+ million passengers.

Also I have added new columns in the table, stating comparison rank between current period and the same period last year (feb-17 to feb-16, jan-feb-17 to jan-feb-16, mar-16/feb-17 to mar-15/feb-16). Hope that is clear.

Hopefully for march data we would not have to wait until June time.
Cheers guys!

Old May 7th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #2016
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3263

Thanks as always for sharing bubbalo

With regards to March, LAX ("my account" ) reported their March figures!

http://www.lawa.org/LAXStatistics.aspx

LAX reported for March 2017: 6,779,400 passengers, a YOY("year over year) increase of 4.68%. Domestic passenger totals rose 3.58% YOY to 4,907,598 and international passenger totals rose 7.67% to 1,871,802. 2017 as of now is tracking to have 4.53% increase over 2016 and if that holds LAX will finish 2017 with a total of 84,587,272.

In trying to discern a "Trump effect", I've looked at February and March versus January. In January, pre-Trump and his whole travel ban fiasco, international travel rose 12.55% YOY. In February that dropped to an increase of 6.54% and March had an increase of 7.67%. So as you can see growth in international passengers has been much less since Trump took office, almost half as much growth as before. So while this is a crude way to look at these statistics, it seems to me like there has been a measurable effect of foreign travel into LA that has hampered growth. But again, could be lots of reasons, will keep looking at the data myself
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 11:51 PM   #2017
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 16074

4 of the 10 busiest airports are in China and Kunming joins the top 25. Amazing how the big picture is changing.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 12:29 AM   #2018
bubbalo

I am happy you still follow my charts, guys

just looked at the dom/int stats for 26 busiest intl US airports, I have collected data until February (CLT is estimated) and here is the pics

Taking aside that one extra day in Feb 16 the intl segment would have risen by 5%, so it seems so far the influence is not that big. But I guess we will see in coming months.

I have no doubt Chinese airports will dominate the chart in couple of years, given the size of the country and amazing speed of building the infrastructure.

Cheers!

Orion602, aquamaroon, J-BEAT liked this post
bubbalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #2019
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4837

LGW is very close to 50 MLN, how they are doing it with just one runway

atmapgnew liked this post
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #2020
adevahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
4 of the 10 busiest airports are in China and Kunming joins the top 25. Amazing how the big picture is changing.
1º US
China
3º EAU
4º US
5º Japan
6º US
7º UK
China
China
10º France

I count three. Haneda is in Japan