daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:35 AM   #661
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10984

So where do the rest of them fall then? African, North American other than American, South American, and those from Oceania? You seem to have forgotten half the planet.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:12 PM   #662
GregPz
Explore

Likes (Received): 249

Asia does seem to have the majority of the top airlines. I think European ones are very variable, ranging from excellent to amongst the worste on the planet. And of course on the other continents the likes of Air New Zealand, South African Airways etc are great.
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #663
abrandao
Paris, France.

Likes (Received): 3859

Since Brazilian Airline GOL, ranked 65 (14.819), has bought VARIG, ranked 72 (13.078,3), in March 2007, GOL will jump to at least number 35 next year!!!!!!!!!!!

And that will be a great dispute against TAM for the number 1 position in Brazil!!!!!!!!!
abrandao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #664
RAMIROCORDOBES

Likes (Received): 4443

tienen del 2007???????
RAMIROCORDOBES está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #665
wajz

Likes (Received): 1

I am not so surprised at the large numbers American airports handle. Let's face it: in the USA there is hardly any competition for air travel. Especially on the longer distances the choice is to either take a two-hour flight or spend two DAYS in a car! Fast, efficient and affordable trains provide passengers in Europe with a viable alternative to flying but in the USA there is no such thing.
wajz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #666
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6410

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Another eye-opener is the truly amazing volume of passengers that American airports handle. Even relatively small cities like Denver, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Minneapolis, and Orlando handle more traffic than places like Toronto, Sydney, or Seoul!
In addition to what wajz already said (no alternatives such as highspeed trains) there is also the fact that European LCC's prefer smaller airports such as Hahn (Frankfurt), Standsted (London) or Girona (Barcelona) unlike their American counterparts like Southwest which fly to the main airports.

As for Toronto, Sydney, Seoul...Toronto has the world's highest landing fees (with the exception of some Japanese airports) which is a major turnoff for many airlines, Sydney is located in a country with a population of just 21 million and its a long haul flight to almost everywhere. That being said, their numbers are rapidly increasing. Seoul's Incheon airport is already the second airport in the city and serves almost only international destinations, just as the Narita Airport in Tokyo or Pudong Airport in Shanghai. If it would serve both domestic and international destinations the numbers would be much higher.
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #667
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstyle View Post
man....i know exactly what you're saying>>> Gaeus ..i flew from dallas to lga stop over atl by(airtran ) never again.....i know the fare was cheap but no thank you............!!!!
If you thought Terminal C at ATL was too much for you, what did you think when you landed in NYC. Did you curl into the fetal position? With AirTran you don't even change terminals when you connect through ATL, just imagine how frightening it would have been for you if you had to take the inter-terminal train as most Delta transfers have to. Next time you visit ATL ask for assistance from a kindly looking older woman, I'm sure she could walk you to your gate and maybe even tell you a nursery rhyme to stop you from freaking out.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:11 AM   #668
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta View Post
If you thought Terminal C at ATL was too much for you, what did you think when you landed in NYC. Did you curl into the fetal position? With AirTran you don't even change terminals when you connect through ATL, just imagine how frightening it would have been for you if you had to take the inter-terminal train as most Delta transfers have to. Next time you visit ATL ask for assistance from a kindly looking older woman, I'm sure she could walk you to your gate and maybe even tell you a nursery rhyme to stop you from freaking out.
You live in Atlanta so you got use to their airport eventually. When I got there for the first time (and the only time), I have three problems.

* The landing took awhile. So the planes flew in circle around the airport for 23 minutes. I never seen too many airplanes flying in the sky. It was at around 7:00 in the evening so I can see too many dots flying everywhere like Christmas lights. It's a good thing I know the reason for the delay. The passenger besides me who is local Atlantean told me that this is always happening.

* Once I landed, the employees from the information booth told me to ride the airport shuttle train. The first time I saw the airport shuttle train, it was full so I waited for another one. The second one is again full and people inside the shuttle train acted like sardines in a tin can or like japanese forcing themselves in the tokyo subway train. It was way too ridicolous. It's fortunate the third shuttle train is only 80% full so I have space left for poor me and my poor luggage. That took me another 15 minutes.

* If the landing is already having problem with delays, its obvious the take-off will also have delays. It was crazy. I waited for 10 more minutes for the plane to arrive. But the passengers got out quickly and so after cleaning and putting all the luggages, food and others, the plane was ready in 10 minutes. So I was surprise. The flow going inside the airplane was nice and quick. After 15 minutes, all passengers were inside and the plane was moving for take-off. So I was glad and happy for the quick service. But suddenly, the airplane stopped. And WOW! I never saw 20 - 30 planes falling in line for take-off. So the captain of the plane made an announcement that there will be delays for 45 minutes just to take-off. Sigh.

By the way, I used the Delta Airlines Washington Dulles - LAX with a plane transfer to Atlanta. I am telling you now, Atlanta needs to build another airport.
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:34 AM   #669
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajz View Post
I am not so surprised at the large numbers American airports handle. Let's face it: in the USA there is hardly any competition for air travel. Especially on the longer distances the choice is to either take a two-hour flight or spend two DAYS in a car! Fast, efficient and affordable trains provide passengers in Europe with a viable alternative to flying but in the USA there is no such thing.
That doesn't explain Australia or Canada though.

[email protected]: Toronto landing fees only skyrocketed recently. Before this, the passenger volumes were still way out of whack with similar sized cities in the USA. Besides, people are still going to travel to Toronto regardless of high landing fees. An extra $100 is not going to make much of a difference in people's decision to fly here. It's not like someone is choosing between 2 different resort islands.

Many people and airlines warned that airlines are going to stay away. Quite the opposite has happened. Despite the fees, Pearson is seeing a substantial increase in the number of airlines trying to set up operations here. The threats were hollow. Reality is, Toronto is a strong enough destination to withstand the fees that are charged.

Perhaps, it is high domestic ticket prices within Canada that is the reason. Low cost carriers have recently become a factor and ticket prices have been cut in half on many flights. Maybe, Pearson numbers will start to take off?

Last edited by isaidso; October 31st, 2007 at 02:46 AM.
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:30 AM   #670
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87697

Ohh my God!!!!!

Dubai is growing up so fast!!!!

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:32 PM   #671
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18237

US airlines work on a hub system, which means passengers may need to transfer to get to the smaller cities via the airline's hub, or even on flights between large cities for that matter. Hence, numbers will naturally be higher.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:41 PM   #672
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
In addition to what wajz already said (no alternatives such as highspeed trains) there is also the fact that European LCC's prefer smaller airports such as Hahn (Frankfurt), Standsted (London) or Girona (Barcelona) unlike their American counterparts like Southwest which fly to the main airports.
Southwest uses Houston - Hobby Field, Dallas - Love Field, San Fransisco -Oakland , etc.....
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:08 AM   #673
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 816

RE Montreal: It would be curious to see comparative stats for use/passenger traffic in the 60s and 70s. Canada does not have low passenger numbers per se at its airports, its just that for a city of its size Montreal simply does not generate much air traffic generally, though figures since the closure of Mirabel have been improving, when national/continental flights now share the same airport as for intercontintental flights. In large part the low figures for Montreal may be indicative of the city's relatively declining wealth and that it is no longer Canada's major business hub - this traffic has transferred to Toronto. However, in the last few years air traffic has started to increase so lets see.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:26 AM   #674
isaidso
the new republic

Some of that is true, but look at Melbourne, Australia. This city is almost identical in size to Montreal. These 2 cities are also equal in wealth and comparable in terms of large head offices. Montreal traffic (11.4 million and #105) is much lower than Melbourne (21.9 million and #52). It's true that Australian cities are a little more isolated than Canadian cities from other large cities, but this doesn't explain the massive traffic disparity.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:02 AM   #675
Canadian74

Likes (Received): 1

Because of Montreal being a French-speaking city, which results in low domestic and trans-border passengers. But people from Montreal travel more internationally compared to other Canadian cities (mainly to France). It is also close to YOW and YYZ, so the traffic is kind of divided between these three cities.

Compare YUL's 11.4 million to YYC's 11+ million. Calgary is 1/3 of Montreal, but still has roughly the same amount of passengers.

So far this year YUL has seen huge increases in passenger numbers... Comparable to YYC... I think overall growth is around 6-8% for YUL, which I think will result in YUL being Canada's third busiest for another year.

And as you mentioned, isolation of Australian cities is also a major factor... MEL and YUL have different markets.

Last edited by Canadian74; November 2nd, 2007 at 05:08 AM.
Canadian74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:07 AM   #676
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10414

Nearly 107 million passengers for New York airports, impressive.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:20 PM   #677
GregPz
Explore

Likes (Received): 249

To give you an idea of how the rankings will change for 2007 here's the biggest movers and losers.

For the 12 months up to July 2007 the following airports have had a growth rate of over 10%:
New Delhi, Mumbai, Dubai, Chengdu, Beijing, Moscow (DME), Kunming, Manila, Seoul (ICN), Shanghai (SHA), Madrid, Charlotte, New York (JFK), Dublin, Johannesburg, Istanbul and Shenzhen.

The following have shown a decline in pax traffic:
Bangkok, Osaka (KIX), Nagoya, Cleveland, Chicago (ORD), Sao Paulo (CGH), St Louis, Dallas/Fort Worth, London (LHR), Minneapolis, Manchester, New York (LGA), Fukuoka, Osaka (ITM) and Cincinnati.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:09 PM   #678
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

Wooow, Amsterdam is doing great!!

More than Hong Kong and New York?? That's great!

46,065,719!

I would realy love to see the airport grow, hope it's going to have new terminals!!
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:01 PM   #679
shivy

Likes (Received): 0

yea the airports in india are growing at the fastest rate
shivy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:14 PM   #680
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchrisij View Post
Wooow, Amsterdam is doing great!!

More than Hong Kong and New York?? That's great!

46,065,719!

I would realy love to see the airport grow, hope it's going to have new terminals!!
It's less than New York but more than JFK, EWR or LGA
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
airports, aviation, europe, statistics