daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #721
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Why is no one here citing sources for their figures?

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #722
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10410

Wow, I knew that London was the largest overall, but I didn't think it had that far of a lead.

I wonder how much higher it will be when they finish Terminal 5 in Heathrow.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #723
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

Don't think the rankings will move that much if all the regional airports are included for each city. We get a rough idea over how much traffic exists at the top airports. I think that's the best message coming out of all these statistics.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #724
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenRot View Post
Wow, I knew that London was the largest overall, but I didn't think it had that far of a lead.

I wonder how much higher it will be when they finish Terminal 5 in Heathrow.
Unless the airlines starts to fly with larger aircrafts you won´t see any significant change, there are only that many slots and at heathrow they´re all occupied. What Heathrow needs is more runways.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #725
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 815

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
Unless the airlines starts to fly with larger aircrafts you won´t see any significant change, there are only that many slots and at heathrow they´re all occupied. What Heathrow needs is more runways.
London includes five principal airports (Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and City Airports. Heathrow may be at capacity, but the others are still expanding.
Black Cat está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #726
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

Stansted is seeing much opposition over expansion. Not sure what the situation in Gatwick is, but I think Luton might be the easiest one to expand significantly.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #727
japanese001

Likes (Received): 708

If a city is big, you must scatter airports.
4 Tokyo HND 65,810,672 ... 4

23 Tokyo NRT 34,975,225 ... 11.3
japanese001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:29 AM   #728
lcohen999

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Conspicuous absence is Montreal's Trudeau Airport (formerly Dorval). At one time, Canada's busiest airport and a major transatlantic hub for commercial aviation, the Mirabel fiasco and economic decline really took their toll on passenger volume in Montreal. With Mirabel closed (formerly the largest airport in the world), and Montreal prospering again, Trudeau Airport should join the top 100 again. Passenger volumes in 2006 was 11,434,070. Major upgrades to facilities, expansions to handle 28 million passengers, and possibly a dedicated rail link to downtown will only help Trudeau Airport prosper. Mid-November will see the arrival of one of Air France's Airbus A380 planes. The other will fly to New York City.

I'd be surprised not to see both Montreal and Calgary join the top 100 in the near future. Toronto should more than hold its own, while Vancouver will probably get a big spike from the 2010 Olympics that may last well beyond that. Time will tell.
YUL will always be an embarrassment of a 1st world Canadian airport
lcohen999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:40 AM   #729
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

It has been, but those days are coming to a close. A city like Montreal should have a first rate airport, and they seem to be taking many positive steps to emerge from 30 years of disarray. The only thing that is 'always' is death and taxes. To say that YUL will always be an embarassment doesn't lend one much confidence in your reasoning. I'm not sure how you can make a prediction like that.

Last edited by isaidso; November 21st, 2007 at 11:50 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM   #730
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ japanese001

Quote:
Tokyo NRT 34,975,225 ... 11.3
Maybe that growth rate for Tokyo-Narita, in that list, is wrong. Other sources, that I've read, mentions that it only grew an anemic 1.1%. Maybe GregPz mistyped the figures for Tokyo-Narita?!
Old November 21st, 2007, 10:28 PM   #731
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3675

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
If a city is big, you must scatter airports.
4 Tokyo HND 65,810,672 ... 4

23 Tokyo NRT 34,975,225 ... 11.3
I agree, yes.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:16 AM   #732
lcohen999

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It has been, but those days are coming to a close. A city like Montreal should have a first rate airport, and they seem to be taking many positive steps to emerge from 30 years of disarray. The only thing that is 'always' is death and taxes. To say that YUL will always be an embarrassment doesn't lend one much confidence in your reasoning. I'm not sure how you can make a prediction like that.
I made no conclusions with YUL, however it IS an embarrassment and has been for some time.

While the new US concourse and add on to the domestic concourse are nice add ons, they are cramped, poorly layed out and try getting your bags on a domestic AC flight and catching a cab at a somewhat busy time. Or even worse, try crossing to the parking lot without getting run over...
lcohen999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:08 AM   #733
rilham2new
Obsolete User

Likes (Received): 1427

I dont know what to say Jakarta airport got 30 millions of passenger passing by annually

Guys, gotta tell u the truth,,, the airport was OVER-TRAFFIC that which capacitity supposed to be. Yeah, Jakarta airport working 60-70% harder than its actual capacity ...

The airport only got 2 runways and two terminals, with very simple highway which interconnects the city to the airport .. The govt should think to expand the airport .... Jakarta Airport deserves 3rd terminal
Old November 22nd, 2007, 06:08 AM   #734
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
I made no conclusions with YUL, however it IS an embarrassment and has been for some time.
"YUL will always be an embarrassment of a 1st world Canadian airport"

This isn't a conclusion? Regardless, I do agree with you that YUL has been an embarassment for a long time.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 06:41 AM   #735
LMCA1990
Top tier

Likes (Received): 3611

ATL's # of passengers is incredible... Only 2 are in Latin America... I expect that to change in the yrs to come
Old November 24th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #736
Rodrigo_BSB

Likes (Received): 10363

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
Here in the map you can see how Africa and Southern America got just one airport in top 100
Actually, South America has TWO airports in the Top 100, both in the city of Sao Paulo, Brazil:

67 Sao Paulo CGH 18,542,803 ... 7.4
83 Sao Paulo GRU 16,580,842 ... -1.6
Old November 24th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #737
Rafael MG

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcm1990 View Post
ATL's # of passengers is incredible... Only 2 are in Latin America... I expect that to change in the yrs to come
3 airports - not just 2 - are in Latin America.
São Paulo has 2 airports in the list (Congonhas - CGH and Guarulhos Intl. - GRU), in positions 67 and 83, which, along with Mexico City airport, results in 3 airports for the region.

But I agree, 3 airports for latin america - given its population - is still a low figure.

It´d would be different for Latin America in the ranking if the airport traffic in Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro were concentrated in one airport in each city, because each of these important cities have its traffic divided in two airports (Buenos Aires have Ezeiza Intl. and Aeroparque for domestic flights, while Rio has Tom Jobim Intl. - also known as Galeão - and Santos Dumont for services to São Paulo and other shorts flights.).

As the total traffic in both cities exceed 12 million, they would appear in the top 100 ranking if they have only one airport for regular flights.
Rafael MG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #738
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 754

Indeed very interesting. Australia has as many many airports in the top 100 as the whole of Latin America.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #739
Rodrigo_BSB

Likes (Received): 10363

You have to consider the purchase power of Latin-american population. It is not that big when compared to the First World's. A big population is not the only thing that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael BH View Post
São Paulo has 2 airports in the list (Congonhas - CGH and Guarulhos Intl. - GRU)
If you put all that passengers in only one airport (like in Mexico City), Sao Paulo would have 35 million passengers/year. Brasilia (Brazil's capital) has only one airport and will have a number like 12 million passengers this year. The same thing with GIG, in Rio (GIG would have almost 16 million plus the passengers from SDU).

Last edited by Rodrigo_BSB; November 24th, 2007 at 03:27 PM.
Rodrigo_BSB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #740
Rafael MG

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo_BSB View Post
If you put all that passengers in only one airport (like in Mexico City), Sao Paulo would have 35 million passengers/year. Brasilia (Brazil's capital) has only one airport and will have a number like 12 million passengers this year. The same thing with GIG, in Rio (GIG would have almost 16 million plus the passengers from SDU).
Yes, Brasília is close to enter the top 100 ranking.
Rafael MG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airports, aviation, europe, statistics