daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #821
KIWIKAAS
Registered User
 
KIWIKAAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Hague
Posts: 4,522
Likes (Received): 754


Thanks for that GregPZ. So you could conclude that Norway would probably have the highest ratio (pop/pax) in the world?
Indeed it would appear that the Aussie numbers are'nt that exceptional in the western world.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #822
GregPz
Explore
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Durban
Posts: 2,742
Likes (Received): 249

I'd guess the highest ratio would probably be somewhere like Qatar or Bahamas or Seychelles. Of any country with a sizeable population Norway is surprisingly probably the highest - about te same as Singapore!!
__________________
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
GregPz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #823
brisavoine
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: desconocida
Posts: 18,049
Likes (Received): 2346

In France the passenger traffic in 2006 was 118,386,400 for a total population of 64.1 million, so the ratio was 1.85:1. A much better ratio for the environment than those in Spain or the UK.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #824
gincan
Gincan
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
In France the passenger traffic in 2006 was 118,386,400 for a total population of 64.1 million, so the ratio was 1.85:1. A much better ratio for the environment than those in Spain or the UK.
Easily explained, France has no large holliday resorts like Spain and the French people don't travel abroad en masses like the Brittish.

Last edited by gincan; January 4th, 2008 at 06:35 PM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #825
BMXican
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 559
Likes (Received): 5

first of all is france the biggest tourist destination in the world and second of all it has nothing to do with british tourists (because in that case germans (the world champions in travelling) would have to have much more flights than they have - its 185 million flights for 80 million ppl btw). the reason for the high number in britain has something to do with geography - britain is an island (or many) in the northwest of europe - you have to take a plane to get anywhere ... more centrally located mainland countries don't have that problem ... you use the excellent highspeed train system or the expansive road network.
BMXican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #826
gincan
Gincan
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXican View Post
first of all is france the biggest tourist destination in the world and second of all it has nothing to do with british tourists (because in that case germans (the world champions in travelling) would have to have much more flights than they have - its 185 million flights for 80 million ppl btw). the reason for the high number in britain has something to do with geography - britain is an island (or many) in the northwest of europe - you have to take a plane to get anywhere ... more centrally located mainland countries don't have that problem ... you use the excellent highspeed train system or the expansive road network.
and exactly what is you point

The Britts travel en masses to the mediteranean and middle easter resorts, It would not make any difference if you could drive there from the UK because of the distance, secondly the Spanish situation is way diffrent from France as there are over 100 million pax at the resort airports combined, there are no resort airports i France. And what the heck has Germany to do with this?

Last edited by gincan; January 4th, 2008 at 10:42 PM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #827
LochNESS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Leiden / Rotterdam
Posts: 892
Likes (Received): 3

I think that in France, domestic flights have almost completely been replaced by the TGV (High Speed Rail) services. And that in general is not too bad I think, more space on the airports for long distance flights and better use of public transportation often in the pre- and after transportation.
LochNESS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #828
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue
 
phattonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The City of Angels
Posts: 1,773
Likes (Received): 38

Wow did JFK see a huge jump. Is there any way to rank the congestion at these airports?
__________________
“Violence is not necessary to destroy a civilization. Each civilization dies from
indifference toward the unique values which created it.” - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #829
gincan
Gincan
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
Wow did JFK see a huge jump. Is there any way to rank the congestion at these airports?
If you have total terminal area for each airport you could divide it with number of pax to get a congestion ratio.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #830
brisavoine
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: desconocida
Posts: 18,049
Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
France has no large holliday resorts like Spain
It must be the silliest thing I've read on Skyscrapercity in a long long time. Ever heard of the French Riviera (Nice, Monaco, Cannes)? Every heard of the French Alps, with resorts such as Tignes-Val d'Isère which is the largest ski resort in the world? Every heard of Lourdes, the most visited pilmgrimage place in the world (bar Mecca I guess)? Every heard of Disneyland Resort Paris, the most visited amusement park in Europe? If not then you also probably have never heard of the mega-large beach resorts on the sandy coastline of Languedoc (Grau-du-Roi, Cap-d'Agde, and so on).
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #831
gincan
Gincan
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
It must be the silliest thing I've read on Skyscrapercity in a long long time. Ever heard of the French Riviera (Nice, Monaco, Cannes)? Every heard of the French Alps, with resorts such as Tignes-Val d'Isère which is the largest ski resort in the world? Every heard of Lourdes, the most visited pilmgrimage place in the world (bar Mecca I guess)? Every heard of Disneyland Resort Paris, the most visited amusement park in Europe? If not then you also probably have never heard of the mega-large beach resorts on the sandy coastline of Languedoc (Grau-du-Roi, Cap-d'Agde, and so on).
Jeesus k crist, Frensh Riviera, retract the domestic tourism and you got less tourists than Ibiza alone (im talking here of cause cheap holliday package tourism). And Languedoc is all built for Frensh domestic tourism. Of the 70 million tourists that visit France every year, less than 10 come for the sun and bath. In Spain it is more the opposite.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #832
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water
 
Intoxication's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London (Islamabad)
Posts: 14,576
Likes (Received): 21356

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregPz View Post
Happy to oblige to bangalore's request.



No current data available - well maybe there is for Honolulu but didn't have time to look. I think Honolulu is around 22m so it would be in the top 100. Unless there's been strong growth Karachi wouldn't be in the top 150 and Doha must be pretty close to 10m.
Do you know the current figure for Karachi? Or any estimates?
Intoxication no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #833
brisavoine
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: desconocida
Posts: 18,049
Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
Jeesus k crist, Frensh Riviera, retract the domestic tourism and you got less tourists than Ibiza alone
Gincan, if you claim something, at least make sure you can prove it. I made a quick search, and found out that your claim is completely wrong. In 2005 the islands of Ibiza and Formentera received 1.3 million foreign tourists (source). In comparison the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region received approx. 6.8 million foreign tourists in 2005 (source). Even assuming that only half of these went to the French Riviera (Côte d'Azur in French), which is probably an underestimate, that's still 3.4 million foreign tourists , i.e. 2.5 times more than the number of foreign tourists in Ibiza and Formentera. So it seems to me you're not quite grasping the sheer size of foreign tourism in the French Riviera (what with all these nouveau riche Russians and Gulf Arabs now).

Also note that in 2006 the Nice-Côte d'Azur Airport had 9.9 million passengers, compared to only 4.5 million passengers at the Ibiza Airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
And Languedoc is all built for Frensh domestic tourism.
Again an excessive statement. In 2005 the Languedoc-Roussillon region received 5 million foreign tourists (the largest share being German tourists). (source) This is the same number of foreign tourists as in the Valencian Community (Alicante, Valencia, Castellón de la Plana) which received 5.1 million tourists in 2005 (source).

Last edited by brisavoine; January 5th, 2008 at 03:44 AM.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #834
BMXican
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 559
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
and exactly what is you point

The Britts travel en masses to the mediteranean and middle easter resorts, It would not make any difference if you could drive there from the UK because of the distance, secondly the Spanish situation is way diffrent from France as there are over 100 million pax at the resort airports combined, there are no resort airports i France. And what the heck has Germany to do with this?
dude, im just proving that all what you said is bollocks ... read again my reply, then you know why I mentioned germany ...
BMXican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #835
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,756
Likes (Received): 10983

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
Normal where?
I cant think of a single European country that can match that (pop/pax).
It's similar to the US and Canada on a per capita basis but far excedes the rest of the world with the exception of city states like Hong Kong and Singapore.

Atlanta is Delta's main domestic hub. You're taking an extreme example and portaying it as if it's the norm. What about San Diego then? Cleveland? New Orleans (pre Katrina)? .....
Quite a few countries have ratios like that: Switzerland, Spain, Norway, UK, USA, UAE, for starters. As far as Atlanta goes, so what if it is a hub. Most major airports in the world are hubs for the regions they are situated in. Are you trying to tell me that Sydney isn't a hub for New South Wales? That Melbourne isn't a hub for Victoria? Atlanta is a reality. You can't simply ignore it because it posts massive numbers. Besides, Atlanta is hardly alone. Dallas? Chicago? Minneapolis? Denver? Las Vegas? Houston? Phoenix? Detroit? Orlando? It goes on and on and on. These cities post huge PAX numbers for their size.

Last edited by isaidso; January 5th, 2008 at 07:35 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #836
Booze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 12,312
Likes (Received): 43

These are the ratios Passengers / Population of spanish islands and provinces in 2006. Spain had a ratio of 4.32, maybe 4.5 in 2007



Some Canary Islands are on the top with impressive numbers. Balearic Islands are the region with a higher ratio while Mallorca is the airport with a higher ratio among the big european airports (22,4 milion pax for 790.000 inhab,) and Málaga is the continental airport with the higher ratio.



By the way, tourism in Spain it's not only cheap hotels. Spain is the second country in the world on total number of tourists after France and the second on tourism income, after the US, and ahead France.

About Ibiza, Balearic Islands have a larger GDP per capita than Cote d'Azur region (PACA), so thank you but not all the 13 milion tourists visiting us every are hooligans as you can see.

Last edited by Booze; January 5th, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Booze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #837
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,756
Likes (Received): 10983

Does anyone have PAX totals for countries? I think Canada is around 100 million PAX which would give us a ratio of just over 3. Air travel here is not as well patronized as it is in other places. It is much more heavily and successfully marketed in other nations.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #838
a s i a n a
Registered User
 
a s i a n a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 818
Likes (Received): 0

It seems Manila's hurdling so fast. I agree with you aviation enthusiasts like me. There's really something on the figures!
__________________
T h e---b e s t---t h i n g s---i n---l i f e---a r e---f r e e .
a s i a n a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #839
brisavoine
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: desconocida
Posts: 18,049
Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booze View Post
Balearic Islands have a larger GDP per capita than Cote d'Azur region (PACA)
Wrong. According to the latest figures available on the Eurostat website, in 2004 the GDP per capita of the Balears was 22,332 euros whereas the GDP per capita of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region was 24,870 euros.

Besides, the French Riviera does not cover the entire Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region. It extends essentially over the Alpes Maritimes department (Nice, Cannes, Antibes, suburbs of Monaco, but not Monaco itself). In 2004 the GDP per capita of the Alpes Maritimes department was 26,620 euros.

Last but not least, GDP per capita is not a very good measurement when comparing regions with each other, because it fails to account for social transfers between regions. In the French Riviera there are lots of retirees. These people don't work, so they don't produce anything, thereby artificially diminishing the GDP per capita of the French Riviera. These retirees, however, receive pensions, so they have an income which is not reflected in the GDP per capita. So we'd better look at the income per capita to compare regions. The same is true with the Balears, where there are also retirees, but not to the extent of the French Riviera.

In 2004 the disposable income (i.e. primary income such as wages minus taxes and plus social transfers such as pensions) in the Balears was 13,154 euros per inhabitant, whereas in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur it was 16,550 euros per inhabitant. I don't have the figure for the Alpes-Maritimes, but it was probably higher than 16,550 euros.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #840
Booze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 12,312
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Wrong. According to the latest figures available on the Eurostat website, in 2004 the GDP per capita of the Balears was 22,332 euros whereas the GDP per capita of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region was 24,870 euros.

Besides, the French Riviera does not cover the entire Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region. It extends essentially over the Alpes Maritimes department (Nice, Cannes, Antibes, suburbs of Monaco, but not Monaco itself). In 2004 the GDP per capita of the Alpes Maritimes department was 26,620 euros.

Last but not least, GDP per capita is not a very good measurement when comparing regions with each other, because it fails to account for social transfers between regions. In the French Riviera there are lots of retirees. These people don't work, so they don't produce anything, thereby artificially diminishing the GDP per capita of the French Riviera. These retirees, however, receive pensions, so they have an income which is not reflected in the GDP per capita. So we'd better look at the income per capita to compare regions. The same is true with the Balears, where there are also retirees, but not to the extent of the French Riviera.

In 2004 the disposable income (i.e. primary income such as wages minus taxes and plus social transfers such as pensions) in the Balears was 13,154 euros per inhabitant, whereas in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur it was 16,550 euros per inhabitant. I don't have the figure for the Alpes-Maritimes, but it was probably higher than 16,550 euros.
Those are the stats for 2004, PPS adjusted. UE27=100

Illes Balears: 114.3
Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur: 104.9

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/por...inv/sdi_ed1130

I just don't care about the numbers, just want to make clear than Ibiza is not only cheap package holidays

Last edited by Booze; January 6th, 2008 at 09:31 PM.
Booze no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
airports, aviation, europe, statistics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium