daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2016, 06:24 PM   #1561
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Washington-Baltimore has 9.6 million people (#4 in the US) and it's #8 in terms of the size of its airport system. Washington-Baltimore's airport system is at 67,000,000. Atlanta with about 2/3rds the population is at 101,000,000 pax. So size means little. Places like Denver and Las Vegas vastly exceed much bigger cities in terms of passengers. Denver is almost 2x bigger than Philadelphia, a metro with 2x the population.

The fifth biggest airport in North America today is New York at 56,827,154. And it grew 7% last year. #4 is the slow growing Dallas-FW but it's at 64 million. After that you have Atlanta, Chicago and Los Angeles which all grew more, in absolute terms than Toronto since the financial crisis has ended. To be #3, you need 75,000,000 pax nearly 2x what Toronto has now. And if we go by just these 5, then we can extrapolate and Toronto would need to have at least 75 million by 2025 to crack into the Top 5.

It's doable but very difficult. Atlanta and Chicago are internal hubs in a country of 325 million people. Los Angeles and New York are international hubs for a country of 325 million people. That alone gives those 4 tremendous advantages. Of those 5, Toronto will only outpace Dallas in growth and could surpass it in maybe 20 years' time. By then though I suspect it'll be facing stiff competition from Miami and San Francisco.

In the past decade, Miami has gained 14,000,000 pax. San Francisco has gained 17,000,000 pax and Toronto has grown by 12,000,000 pax. And the difference here is that Miami and San Francisco both have huge feeder airports that absolutely dwarf in size Munro. Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach in Miami are showing tremendous growth and San Jose and Oakland (The Bay Area's secondary airports) together have 20,000,000 passengers. Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach together have 32,000,000 passengers. And this is excluding the fact that Miami and San Francisco Internationals are already bigger than Toronto Pearson. So Toronto is already playing catch-up.

And Houston is another dark horse. I think it will take a lot of effort to be a Top 10 airport in North America. There's a ton of competition. I think in the end Toronto will stabilize at #7-8 behind Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, and San Francisco. I think it surpasses Charlotte, Denver, Las Vegas and Phoenix. If Houston keeps growing by 160k people a year, I think Toronto might struggle to stay in the Top 8 and will be #9. I don't think Minneapolis, Orlando or Seattle show any signs of passing Toronto.
The city of Toronto is growing very quickly though, and the catchment area of YYZ is huge. I believe the catchment area of YYZ is nearly 13m people right now, and that is expected to grow to 16m by 2030.

Another area of growth is YYZ's role as a transfer hub within Canada as well between Europe and North America. In fact, YYZ comes #2 in North America for international passenger traffic after JFK.

So yes, I agree that YYZ might not be anywhere near passing major hubs like LAX and ORD, but it should be able to remain in the top 5 busiest in North America.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #1562
Seljuk

Likes (Received): 180

Antalya (Turkey) down 5% in the first quarter as Russian tourist and others go to other places now. Also passenger numbers in Tunisia and Egypt down due to previous terror attacks.

IST (+6%) and SAW (+20%) despite terror attacks with positive figures.

Spain goes the opposite direction
http://www.aena.es/csee/ccurl/538/22...Marzo_2016.pdf

Some UK airports (MAN, STN, LTN, BFS, EDI, GLA, BRS, BHX, LPL) also see double-digit growth in the first months of this year.

Orion602, stop that liked this post

Last edited by Seljuk; April 17th, 2016 at 02:23 PM.
Seljuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #1563
pbr0612

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegioManio View Post
That's a very impressive growth rate for both MAD and BCN. At this pace, Madrid will probably reach a new all-time annual record and Barcelona, which for years has been breaking records will possibly end this year slipping through into the 30 busiest.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if MEX will be one of the 5 busiest in North America ten years from now, but if this is not the case it will surely be very close to reach this group. In this regard, I think Toronto will have a tough time to reach that position.
MAD needs to grow at least 11.3% this year in order to break its 2007 record (52.1 million). Given its growth in the first quarter it is quite possible this will be the case. If not it will come very close.

In regards to MEX, I think it can definitely reach the top 5 in North America within a decade. Assuming 10% annual growth, in 2025 it would be handling around 99 million passengers. The current airport may not sustain 10% growth for many more years (unless all small planes are replaced with bigger ones, and if occupancy factors continue to increase and slots are expanded). However, I suspect there will be a big jump (much more than 10%) once the new airport starts operating -there are many airlines currently wanting to operate at MEX but unable to do so because of lack of space. We shall see...
pbr0612 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:32 AM   #1564
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10984

Canadian airports have historically been run like bureaucratic arms of the government and the governments own private piggy bank. Their costs are way out of whack due to high fees and taxes. If these can be brought into line with their US counterparts they will start seeing strong steady growth.

A Schengen type system in NAFTA would be a boon, as has been mentioned. Canada was once the 2nd most visited nation in the world if you can believe it. It owed that lofty position to having a huge middle class just to the south in the US. If Americans start coming in large numbers like they used to, Canadian PAX will zoom.

Toronto Pearson? It's finally showing good growth despite the above impediments. The formation of the GTAA has helped and they're far more aggressive and business oriented than they used to be. Toronto is also becoming a big international tourism draw. A big slice of tourism to Toronto used to consist of day trippers from the US midwest who often came by car. The profile of tourists to Toronto is changing drastically and Pearson is seeing big increases in international PAX. They're not as price sensitive and are fueling the better % increases we're now seeing.

That said, Pearson is so far behind that it will take a long time to climb its way back up the rankings. Can it hit 75 million PAX by 2025? Enough of the pieces are in place to accomplish that, but time will tell.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 13th, 2016 at 10:38 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #1565
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2208

Dublin...DUB..officially became a large airport for the first time in December 2015 when it broke the 25m PAX level.

Since then growth in each of Jan Feb and March was a nice even 17% on the same month in 2015, very linear.

If it continues at that rate it will bust 28m PAX in 2016. Newly developed 'connecting' traffic from US-EU is growing very strongly but is unlikely to account for more than around 2m of those PAX in 2016.

Orion602 liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 03:18 AM   #1566
miguelon

Likes (Received): 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr0612 View Post
MAD needs to grow at least 11.3% this year in order to break its 2007 record (52.1 million). Given its growth in the first quarter it is quite possible this will be the case. If not it will come very close.

In regards to MEX, I think it can definitely reach the top 5 in North America within a decade. Assuming 10% annual growth, in 2025 it would be handling around 99 million passengers. The current airport may not sustain 10% growth for many more years (unless all small planes are replaced with bigger ones, and if occupancy factors continue to increase and slots are expanded). However, I suspect there will be a big jump (much more than 10%) once the new airport starts operating -there are many airlines currently wanting to operate at MEX but unable to do so because of lack of space. We shall see...
Yes right now the current airport in Mexico City is preventing this mega city to have air service according to its size.

Once we have the new airport in service, 63-68 million p/year seems like a realistic-moderate projection.
miguelon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #1567
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10389

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
The city of Toronto is growing very quickly though, and the catchment area of YYZ is huge. I believe the catchment area of YYZ is nearly 13m people right now, and that is expected to grow to 16m by 2030.

Another area of growth is YYZ's role as a transfer hub within Canada as well between Europe and North America. In fact, YYZ comes #2 in North America for international passenger traffic after JFK.

So yes, I agree that YYZ might not be anywhere near passing major hubs like LAX and ORD, but it should be able to remain in the top 5 busiest in North America.
I agree. Toronto is growing quickly. However, Ontario has 13.9 million people. So there's no way the catchment area is 13 million (~92% of Ontario). People in Ottawa are not driving to Toronto (they use Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport) and nobody in Northern Ontario is driving to Toronto either (they use regional airports). That's 2 million right there. And neither are people in Windsor or likely even Kingston. It's closer to 11 million. And though I agree that the Golden Horseshoe is growing quickly, your numbers aren't realistic. Southern Ontario is not going to add 3 million people in 14 years. That's 215,000 people a year. Toronto's growing at slightly over half that rate. Closer to 115k-120k: (WARNING pdf: http://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/cu...ckgrounder.pdf).

One of your main points is that population growth should propel Toronto up the chart. Yet in the U.S. alone there are 6 metropolitan areas that are growing at the same rate as Toronto, if not faster (Dallas is averaging 131k population growth per year, Houston is averaging 141k, Los Angeles is averaging 153k, New York is averaging 123k, San Francisco is averaging 107k and Washington is averaging 109k. Then you have Miami averaging 93k and Atlanta averaging 87k per year since 2010. Atlanta's number is set to surpass 100k per year again soon so they'll likely swap spots in growth with Washington. But the point is that Toronto's population growth is not an outlier. It's impressive but fairly normal for a 5 million+ metro in North America. Impressive is Houston which is growing at 160k a year (probably closer to 180k with the undercounting of illegal immigrants).

Aside from that, however, is the problem that catchment size really means very little in the grand scheme of things. Charlotte gets 44,876,627 passengers with 2.6 million people. Toronto gets 43,936,847 with 8 million people. And if you look at catchment rates, Charlotte maybe adds another 1.5 million people. So in the end Charlotte beats Toronto even though its catchment area is ~7,000,000 people less than Toronto. Phoenix is the same. Las Vegas certainly. The fastest growing airports are hubs. And hubs by definition don't need to be in gigantic cities. Dubai gets 90,000,000 pax with 3 million people. Atlanta gets 100,000,000 pax with 6.5 million people. Airports move to the top of the ranks quickly when they act as regional hubs. Mexico City has fewer passengers than Rome, even though Mexico City's catchment area is over 30,000,000 people while Rome's is closer to 5,000,000. Montreal has 15,000,000 pax a year while Doha (with 3x fewer people) has 2x that: 31,110,000. I think it's fairly intuitive to think that more people means more traffic. That is generally true. But very few of the big airports today got to where they were by letting population growth dictate airport growth. Most were very proactive in working with airlines to develop intricate and extensive hub-and-spoke systems.

And international passenger traffic is misleading. If an American flies from Honolulu to Boston, that's 'domestic'. If an American flies from Boston to Halifax, that's 'international.' America is a huge market of 325,000,000 people and its airports are in the business of appealing to a domestic market. When you're an American airport and you have 325 million potential passengers at your disposal, you tend to fight for market share of that domestic pie (especially if you aren't a major metropolitan area). When you are a Canadian airport your focus is outside of Canada because there are only six real cities - Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver. So of course the onus is building ties with other countries or with US airports. Canada's domestic pie is much smaller. So Canadian airports have more international passengers even when they are far behind U.S. airports in passengers. That's just a function of geography.

And you noted that "YYZ might not be anywhere near passing major hubs like LAX and ORD, but it should be able to remain in the top 5 busiest in North America." Remain is a rather peculiar word. When has Toronto been in the Top 5? It's #13 today. It's hard to remain in the Top 5 when you've never even been close to it, don't you think? Again, the U.S. has 4 airport systems (Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York) which exceed 95 million pax. So to be the fifth biggest airport hub in North America, Toronto would need Pearson to double in pax and then would need a massive amount of growth in Munro. Dallas and Miami will likely have 80 million pax each among their airports. And San Francisco will reach 80 million pax among its 3 airports within 2-3 years. So that right there is 7 N.A. cities where Toronto needs to surpass. And it will only do that by literally doubling the number of passengers its airports carry. Doable? I suppose nothing is impossible. But I wouldn't bet on it happening.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Yuri S Andrade, Robi_damian, Orion602 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 12:35 PM   #1568
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Canadian airports have historically been run like bureaucratic arms of the government and the governments own private piggy bank. Their costs are way out of whack due to high fees and taxes. If these can be brought into line with their US counterparts they will start seeing strong steady growth.

A Schengen type system in NAFTA would be a boon, as has been mentioned. Canada was once the 2nd most visited nation in the world if you can believe it. It owed that lofty position to having a huge middle class just to the south in the US. If Americans start coming in large numbers like they used to, Canadian PAX will zoom.

Toronto Pearson? It's finally showing good growth despite the above impediments. The formation of the GTAA has helped and they're far more aggressive and business oriented than they used to be. Toronto is also becoming a big international tourism draw. A big slice of tourism to Toronto used to consist of day trippers from the US midwest who often came by car. The profile of tourists to Toronto is changing drastically and Pearson is seeing big increases in international PAX. They're not as price sensitive and are fueling the better % increases we're now seeing.

That said, Pearson is so far behind that it will take a long time to climb its way back up the rankings. Can it hit 75 million PAX by 2025? Enough of the pieces are in place to accomplish that, but time will tell.
I agree. The only thing stopping me from vacationing in Quebec at some point is the fact that a round-trip ticket to Montreal is $200. You can fly from DC to Guadeloupe or Martinique (much further away) for $90. I can fly to California for cheaper than I can fly to Montreal (even though DC to Montreal is only 1.5 hours). In Europe, a 1.5 hour flight would cost $30 round-trip. In North America, it's three times that price. And with Canada it's even more expensive. Going to Europe just reminds me how bad the situation is when I get back to the States. Right now, the only affordable routes are from DC to Orlando, Miami, or Las Vegas (where frequency is so high that prices are really low).

I think Toronto Pearson can hit 75 million by 2025. Airport growth tends to be exponential in nature. Success breeds success. A lot of that is because hubs are predicated on having tons of foot traffic. The more passengers in an airport, the more airlines want to come in because they can codeshare their way to profit. Getting from 45 million to 55 million is harder than 55 to 65. So I think Toronto can get to 75 million by 2025 with some good momentum. Do I think that's enough for #5 in North America? Well, you already have 7 cities at 75 million pax within their airports. By 2025 they'll all likely be over 100 million.

Airport systems in the U.S. and Canada by pax:
  1. New York: 126,651,526
  2. Atlanta: 101,491,106
  3. Chicago: 99,170,835
  4. Los Angeles: 95,793,140
  5. Dallas: 78,671,661
  6. Miami: 77,557,288
  7. San Francisco: 71,014,239
  8. Washington: 66,669,853
  9. Denver: 54,014,502
  10. Houston: 53,414,359
  11. Las Vegas: 45,389,074
  12. Charlotte: 44,876,627
  13. Toronto: 43,936,847
  14. Phoenix: 43,376,899
  15. Seattle: 42,340,537
  16. Orlando: 41,289,459
  17. Boston: 39,111,359
  18. Minneapolis: 36,582,854
  19. Detroit: 33,440,112
  20. Philadelphia: 31,444,403

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Orion602, QatPhils liked this post
Old April 16th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #1569
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19419

Very interesting this discussion on the next hubs in North America.

South America, is also far away from the global hubs (Europe/Middle East), and as in the US, national hubs will handle a huge share of domestic passengers. As such, São Paulo Terminal (GRU/CGH/VCP) won't see any competition in the region.

It's the Brazilian hub, both domestic and international. As 2015, it was handling 70 million pax. The current crisis will stop the growth for while, but as soon as things get back on track, the system as room for a double-digit year growth. São Paulo might reach 100 million pax as soon as 2020.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #1570
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegioManio View Post
That's a very impressive growth rate for both MAD and BCN. At this pace, Madrid will probably reach a new all-time annual record and Barcelona, which for years has been breaking records will possibly end this year slipping through into the 30 busiest.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if MEX will be one of the 5 busiest in North America ten years from now, but if this is not the case it will surely be very close to reach this group. In this regard, I think Toronto will have a tough time to reach that position.
Lots of tourists have switched Turkey, Egypt and Greece for Spain, Portugal and Italy, because of terrorism and the migrant issue. At least this year it should probably keep up, but of cause 15-20% growth is not normal, especially when the Spanish economy isn't exactly healthy.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #1571
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9997

By 2030 I expect the Americas to have very few airports in the global Top 30, maybe 4 or 5, at most. Simply put, the room for expansion is limited due to the slower growth rates and massive population outside. I expect India and China to have 10 airports between them, possibly even more. Europe will have 5 or 6 (I expect Istanbul,London, Paris, Frankfurt, Madrid with Moscow also in if they merge some airports) and the rest will be mainly in the Middle East and other Asian countries. Asia will dominate the list due to its dynamic economies and large population. India alone has more people than the entire Americas and has strong economic growth rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
Lots of tourists have switched Turkey, Egypt and Greece for Spain, Portugal and Italy, because of terrorism and the migrant issue. At least this year it should probably keep up, but of cause 15-20% growth is not normal, especially when the Spanish economy isn't exactly healthy.
But this is growth not absolute numbers. Spanish growth is largely fuelled by tourism (with airports leading growth including places like Alicante) but its chief hub - Madrid - is still recovering on higher 2007 numbers.

Orion602, RegioManio liked this post
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #1572
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
I agree. Toronto is growing quickly. However, Ontario has 13.9 million people. So there's no way the catchment area is 13 million (~92% of Ontario). People in Ottawa are not driving to Toronto (they use Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport) and nobody in Northern Ontario is driving to Toronto either (they use regional airports). That's 2 million right there. And neither are people in Windsor or likely even Kingston. It's closer to 11 million. And though I agree that the Golden Horseshoe is growing quickly, your numbers aren't realistic. Southern Ontario is not going to add 3 million people in 14 years. That's 215,000 people a year. Toronto's growing at slightly over half that rate. Closer to 115k-120k: (WARNING pdf: http://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/cu...ckgrounder.pdf).

The fastest growing airports are hubs. And hubs by definition don't need to be in gigantic cities. Dubai gets 90,000,000 pax with 3 million people. Atlanta gets 100,000,000 pax with 6.5 million people. Airports move to the top of the ranks quickly when they act as regional hubs. Mexico City has fewer passengers than Rome, even though Mexico City's catchment area is over 30,000,000 people while Rome's is closer to 5,000,000. Montreal has 15,000,000 pax a year while Doha (with 3x fewer people) has 2x that: 31,110,000. I think it's fairly intuitive to think that more people means more traffic. That is generally true. But very few of the big airports today got to where they were by letting population growth dictate airport growth. Most were very proactive in working with airlines to develop intricate and extensive hub-and-spoke systems.
According to this report released by YYZ in September 2015[1] :

Quote:
The airport serves 12.5 million potential customers in a 3-hour drive time catchment area that includes London, Kitchener, Hamilton, Barrie, Kingston, Buffalo, and Rochester. That number rises to between 150 -200 million people when one considers a catchment area based on either a 90 minute or two hour flight time, reflecting the real market area for international airports

Ontario population predictions[2]:
Quote:
Ontario’s population is projected to grow by 31.3 per cent, or over 4.2 million, over the next 28 years, from an estimated 13.5 million on July 1, 2013 to almost 17.8 million by July 1, 2041.
YYZ is a hub for Air Canada. And the local population still is an important factor for most airports. Not every airport can be a huge connecting or tourist hub.

I agree with everything else you said though.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #1573
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
It's the Brazilian hub, both domestic and international. As 2015, it was handling 70 million pax. The current crisis will stop the growth for while, but as soon as things get back on track, the system as room for a double-digit year growth. São Paulo might reach 100 million pax as soon as 2020.
The 2 city airports are pretty much maxed out regarding flights so you can only really grow traffic at Campinas, and that airport is a 2-3 hour drive away from most of the city.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 09:02 PM   #1574
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19419

Not GRU. The modern Terminal 3 was opened in 2014, after a concession to the private sector that paid US$ 8 billion to manage it in 2013.

And last week, we had News coming from the CGH (the one in the middle of highrises):

Terminal expanding from 64,000 m² to 100,000 m², allowing the handling of 25 million passengers (last year 18 million pax passed through Congonhas). Also, they are thinking of increase the number of planes per minute (from 38 to 50, if I'm not mistaken).

But indeed VCP is indeed the best option as there are plenty of room to growth. It also serves the very wealthy and fast growing Campinas area (3 million people) and its catchment area advances further into the rich and dense populated São Paulo state hinterland.

BTW, Viracopos is only 80 km away from Downtown São Paulo. It takes one hour to reach it, not two or three.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 01:07 AM   #1575
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
According to this report released by YYZ in September 2015[1] :

Ontario population predictions[2]:

YYZ is a hub for Air Canada. And the local population still is an important factor for most airports. Not every airport can be a huge connecting or tourist hub.

I agree with everything else you said though.
I suspect that's mostly marketing bluster. I highly highly doubt people in Rochester are driving 3 hours to go to an airport (not including the extra time spent at the border) and the hassle of changing currency or alerting your bank just to use parking at Pearson. Greater Rochester International Airport has 2.4 million passengers, which seems to be about average for a city of 1.2 million people that's not a hub. Those in Buffalo also don't use Toronto Pearson. The two airports in Buffalo serve 5 million people. One of the perks of living next to Niagara Falls is that a lot of tourists land in Buffalo. This means Buffalo has cheaper flights than many neighboring cities (due to the high frequency). So it's cheap to fly out of Buffalo and transfer in New York. Why would you drive to Toronto and spend at least $100 when you can fly to Boston and transfer for $45?

Washington DC is within 3 hours of New York by rail. Yet nobody in Washington flies out of JFK. I think a 3 hour catchment area is fairly generous to give oneself when there are tons of airports nearby (Buffalo, Rochester, Ottawa, Kitchener, London).

Nicko9, stop that liked this post
Old April 17th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #1576
P05
Agur eta ohore

Likes (Received): 2277

Quote:
One correction, tourism in Greece is also booming since 2014, and Greek airports are growing as fast as the Spanish if not more.

Madrid's recovery is linked to Iberia's recovery.
Old April 18th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #1577
Astenaar

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
By 2030 I expect the Americas to have very few airports in the global Top 30, maybe 4 or 5, at most. Simply put, the room for expansion is limited due to the slower growth rates and massive population outside. I expect India and China to have 10 airports between them, possibly even more. Europe will have 5 or 6 (I expect Istanbul,London, Paris, Frankfurt, Madrid with Moscow also in if they merge some airports) and the rest will be mainly in the Middle East and other Asian countries. Asia will dominate the list due to its dynamic economies and large population. India alone has more people than the entire Americas and has strong economic growth rates.

But this is growth not absolute numbers. Spanish growth is largely fuelled by tourism (with airports leading growth including places like Alicante) but its chief hub - Madrid - is still recovering on higher 2007 numbers.
Well, actually Amsterdam Schiphol surpassed Frankfurt recently, for the first time and given the current growth numbers (+12% vs +3%) i guess it could be Amsterdam instead of Frankfurt or Madrid.
Astenaar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 11:17 AM   #1578
RegioManio
Mod SSC México

Likes (Received): 3453

Quote:
I think tourism explains only a part of this recent recovery. The Spanish economy has also been growing at 2-3% annual rates (this year, almost 3% is predicted, very good for a developed country) so this also has increased demand. Probably, Madrid will continue at this pace some more months and then it will be lower but still with good growth. I expect it will reach 52-53 million in the next 12 months.
RegioManio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 02:01 AM   #1579
Vapour

Likes (Received): 27

Figures for Japanese airports over 3 million PAX:

Tokyo HND - 75.316.718
*Tokyo NRT - 37.328.213
Fukuoka - 20.968.463
*Osaka KIX - 23.214.756
Sapporo - 20.461.494
Naha - 18.282.048
Osaka ITM - 14.541.634
*Nagoya - 10.190.247
Kagoshima - 5.192.010
Kumamoto - 3.241.633
Sendai - 3.152.569
Nagasaki - 3.110.566

*According to official websites. There's some disagreement between Ministry of Infractrusture and official websites figures, but in the case of Narita airport the gap is close to 3 million PAX (!)

Sources:
East Japan airpots: http://www.cab.mlit.go.jp/tcab/img/s...you_h27nen.pdf
Western Japan airports:
http://ocab.mlit.go.jp/about/total/r.../riyou_h27.pdf

sergey220, Seljuk, Orion602 liked this post
Vapour no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 09:04 AM   #1580
Dito Roso

Likes (Received): 1642

From a thread in SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoBancrofth View Post