daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2016, 04:37 AM   #1641
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3674

Barcelona El Prat International Airport surpassed 4M passengers in May 2016: 4,049,189
Also it had 41,630,330 passengers in the last 12 months, being the 7th busiest airport in Europe from January to May 2016!

Spanish airports statistics in May 2016:
http://www.aena.es/csee/ccurl/307/30..._Mayo_2016.pdf
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000

Last edited by Bitxofo; June 25th, 2016 at 04:18 AM.
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #1642
Dam

Likes (Received): 129

Passenger numbers Western Europe big 4 - Jan through May (2015 vs 2016, % change)

Heathrow: 28,846,744 vs 29,127,946 +1.0%
Paris CDG: 25,337,850 vs 25,564,588 +0.9%
Schiphol: 21,685,983 vs 23,952,261 +10.5%
Frankfurt: 23,181,832 vs 23,162,621 -0.1%

Sources: heathrow.com, schiphol.nl, fraport.com, parisaeroport.fr
Old June 15th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #1643
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Dubai, UAE – June 13, 2016 – Dubai International (DXB), the world’s number one international airport, welcomed more than 6.9 million passengers in April according to the monthly traffic report issued by operator Dubai Airports today.

Passenger numbers reached 6,978,268 in April, up 7.2 per cent from the 6,510,653 guests who visited the airport in April 2015. During the first four months of 2016, DXB welcomed 27,926,958 passengers, compared to 26,116,977 passengers during the same period last year, an increase of 6.9 per cent.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:57 AM   #1644
bubbalo

Likes (Received): 925

Hey guys,

here are data for March. I did not really have time for comments or more graphs.
Hope you enjoy anyway

In red are estimations

One small funny story:
While I was in Tokyo last week I have decided to visit MLIT and ask for some statistics of Japanese airports. I have never visited any ministry of anything so this was my premier. I had to fill long paper about who I am and what I want, all in Japanese of course. My backpack got scanned and I was let go in the building with a visitors batch. I was very noticeable since I was the only one wearing jeans and shirt. Somehow I managed to locate the aviation department but finding responsible person was another story. Almost no one understood English language, there were exceptions, one young lady helped me find the guy managing statistics. He showed me website where to find the stats but I already knew that website. Because lack of his English skills he called another colleague of his and the conversation was finally moving somewhere. After this touching experience I got to know, those historical data I requested are no longer public. So I was leaving empty handed.

Last edited by bubbalo; June 16th, 2016 at 10:29 AM.
bubbalo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #1645
bangalore

Likes (Received): 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbalo View Post
Hey guys,

One small funny story:
While I was in Tokyo last week I have decided to visit MLIT and ask for some statistics of Japanese airports. I have never visited any ministry of anything so this was my premier. I had to fill long paper about who I am and what I want, all in Japanese of course. My backpack got scanned and I was let go in the building with a visitors batch. I was very noticeable since I was the only one wearing jeans and shirt. Somehow I managed to locate the aviation department but finding responsible person was another story. Almost no one understood English language, there were exceptions, one young lady helped me find the guy managing statistics. He showed me website where to find the stats but I already knew that website. Because lack of his English skills he called another colleague of his and the conversation was finally moving somewhere. After this touching experience I got to know, those historical data I requested are no longer public. So I was leaving empty handed.
Admirable not only the statistics that you compile and publish here, but also the extent of troubles you seem to be taking to pursue the data!

RyanRS25, RegioManio, Nicko9, Orion602 liked this post
bangalore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:55 PM   #1646
bubbalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangalore View Post
Admirable not only the statistics that you compile and publish here, but also the extent of troubles you seem to be taking to pursue the data!
Thanks bangalore! I guess I like the numbers way too much
Old June 22nd, 2016, 09:43 PM   #1647
tuktoyaktuk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam View Post
Passenger numbers Western Europe big 4 - Jan through May (2015 vs 2016, % change)

Heathrow: 28,846,744 vs 29,127,946 +1.0%
Paris CDG: 25,337,850 vs 25,564,588 +0.9%
Schiphol: 21,685,983 vs 23,952,261 +10.5%
Frankfurt: 23,181,832 vs 23,162,621 -0.1%

Sources: heathrow.com, schiphol.nl, fraport.com, parisaeroport.fr
in few years schiphol will pass over CDG ......why ?
1.air france pilots strikes
2. and at first because Orly airport will boom in the next years and take international passengers of/from CDG...
tuktoyaktuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #1648
abrandao
Paris, France.

Likes (Received): 3850

Not sure that will happen...

Bren liked this post
abrandao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2016, 04:16 AM   #1649
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3674

10 busiest European airports from January to May 2016:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherme View Post
Los diez aeropuertos europeos con mayor número de pasajeros y tránsitos hasta el mes de Mayo de 2016

川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000

Robi_damian liked this post
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 10:32 PM   #1650
Xicano

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post

Interesting chart of traffic in Latam. Curious as to why Argentina has such modest traffic. Judging by regional airport numbers, domestic air travel must be very low compared to, say, Colombia. What gives?
Mexico City will take over #1 after the new airport is done, as for arg are they a hub for anything?
Xicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 12:17 PM   #1651
noir-dresses
bling bling

They released it early bubbalo,

The airport had 6,721,995 passengers in May, which was a 7.2 per cent increase on the 6,267,640 passengers it handled in the same month a year ago, Dubai Airports said in a statement.

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...mmer-1.1855199
Old July 1st, 2016, 12:11 PM   #1652
bubbalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
They released it early bubbalo,

The airport had 6,721,995 passengers in May, which was a 7.2 per cent increase on the 6,267,640 passengers it handled in the same month a year ago, Dubai Airports said in a statement.

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...mmer-1.1855199
Yeah! Unfortunately someone is lazy in Charlotte and San Francisco to release April stats
Old July 1st, 2016, 05:17 PM   #1653
bubbalo

Hi guys,
in the meantime of waiting for April stats (still missing SFO and CLT) lets have a look on battle for 3rd busiest airport in Europe.

It seems there had been a lot of factors having impact on growth - strikes, terrorist attack, brexit.
Based on YTD % growth you can see AMS would win this battle if the growth trajectory is maintained - that comes to me as a bit of a surprise. If I remember correctly Schipol Group estimated growth around 2% or 3% in 2016, so far its almost 11%!
On the other hand I think we can expect IST to shrink more in the coming months. It could easily end up 5th busiest airport in Europe if FRA keeps the same level of passengers as in 2015.
CDG will probably stay 2nd this year, but again - be careful of AMS. It is safe to say LHR would be the 1st, however YTD % growth is "only" 1,13% (% decline in Apr and May)

What is your opinion about it?

Orion602, The Polman liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2016, 05:50 AM   #1654
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 581

Wow, AMS's growth is very surprising, a bit like ORD's growth last year that came out of nowhere.

IST is having a bad year due to events not in their control. Hopefully things can get back to normal there soom, but in the meantime I expect other tourists destinations and the ME3 to benefit from IST and TK's losses.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

Orion602, The Polman liked this post
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:33 PM   #1655
The Polman

Likes (Received): 800

What happens in AMS seems like something freaky, but there's more behind it. There is actually a lot going on which brings the odds in the favour of AMS.

The first thing is marketing: AMS has done a lot of marketing for its airport. This means also that numerous airlines have joined the airport. At first has EasyJet expanded significantly in 2015, of which we'll see more fruit this summer. Ryanair has started some flights to Dublin (though I think they have to expand more in order to get good presence there). Jet Airways, Aeromexico have also introduced flights recently. Don't forget also Air Canada previous year, Emirate's double daily A380, Qatar's introduction, Vueling expanded significantly and China Eastern not to forget. Thomas Cook wil add some tourist flights this year as well. Despite mad voices Gulf Carriers do not detoriate traffic at AMS.

This is only confirmed by KLM's expansion, which has been significant. Much new additions on the short-haul and also a net addition of long-haul routes to Edmonton, Colombia, Kazakhstan, Salt Lake City, extra KUL flights while Tehran, Miami and Colombo will join as well. Instead Fukuoka, Cologne and Dallas were scrapped. KLM has always been the profitable branch of the French company and this pays off well.

There is no sign of lack of capacity, expensive pilots for the main carrier nor terrorist attacks while AMS being more positively in the news in the past few years except for railway disruptions getting to extreme levels. AMS is growing but still very attractive and service of many things having improved.

At the other side prospects at the other airports look more grim, as LH has struggled slightly with pilots at first but also looks for more profit not by expanding but rather by cutting off routes. CDG being binded on Air France at which pilots made even worse tumult, some notable destinations were scrapped and passengers are now diverted via AMS and other SkyTeam partners. The second language on routes to KUL and CGK from AMS is not Malay or English, it's French. Nonetheless there is plenty of space that can be used by other airlines, which also happens and on both short- and long-haul there are created alternatives with bases at CDG.

IST, first there was a threat to security, and this now happened as well. Despite anything what can be said about Turkey or Turkish Airlines, this is just sad and I hope for a soon recovery for passengers as well since the airport opened soon after again. Otherwise the capacity would be the biggest constraint on IST until Arnavutkoy will open.

LHR is a case apart. The growth continues slightly but slowly. The indecisiveness will once detoriate LHR's status sooner or later if it isn't for the Brexit (this will also have an effect but even then LHR is filled quickly).

bubbalo, Orion602 liked this post
The Polman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #1656
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2206

Airports expanding strongly in WE have a lot of LCC business. Add Dublin Stansted and Gatwick to that list along with Madrid.

Heathrow and CDG have little or no LCC business.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 02:51 PM   #1657
MoshiAmsterdam

Likes (Received): 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Airports expanding strongly in WE have a lot of LCC business.

Heathrow and CDG have little or no LCC business.
That might be true by coincidence, but it's not the main cause. The full-service carriers at AMS and MAD also grow much stronger than at LHR and CDG i.e. Compare >6% growth at KL and IB with <2% growth at BA and AF.
MoshiAmsterdam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:18 AM   #1658
bubbalo

Hi guys,

I guess we could wait forever for CLT to release their stats I just place my best guess then.

Some of the observation for this month:
MNL and TPE experienced busiest month ever
AMS got over 60 million passengers on 12-month rolling basis
both MCO and TPE surpassed 40 million passengers in the last 12 consecutive months

Highest % growth is showing DEL, experiencing robust domestic expansion. Since November 2015 every month % growth is higher than 20%. With this trend we can expect 55 million passengers passing through airport by end of the calendar year 2016.

Another rapidly growing airport is DOH, getting to average 3 million passengers each month.

DXB % growth is slowing down, which can be expected, no airport can grow in double digits forever. Even though actual amount of passengers month-on-month increased more than 450 000.

SEA is the fastest growing airport in US, with high possibility to get over 45 million passengers in 2016 and becoming 8th busiest airport in the country.

On the other hand European hubs as LHR and FRA experiencing negative growth. FRA can blame air strike happening on 27th April and effect of terrorist attack in Brussels on 22nd March.

Enjoy

Old July 14th, 2016, 12:39 AM   #1659
noir-dresses
bling bling

Hi bubbalo great to see you finally released your stats.
Old July 14th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #1660
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2206

French ATC is on strike 1 day a week since May. This will show up in your next stats Bubbalo. Tomorrow is strike day this week.

The breakneck PAX growth in DUB from early 2014 to early 2016 has moderated to around 10% March-Jun compared to same month 2015...it may recover a netch in the 2 summer months but it looks like a 9-11% outturn for 2016 right now.

July and August might see DUB in your top 50 though
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airports, aviation, europe, statistics