daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2016, 02:59 AM   #1781
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

He's waiting for New York area airports, Toronto, and Charlotte to report.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2016, 04:08 AM   #1782
isaidso
the new republic

Top Airports in the US and Canada by International Passengers

Compiled by LeftCoaster

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

brick84 liked this post
Old December 20th, 2016, 04:09 AM   #1783
isaidso
the new republic

Miami got bumped to 3rd by LAX and I wonder whether Toronto Pearson can reel JFK in for top spot by 2020? I was a bit surprised that Montreal Trudeau missed the top 10. They were in 11th or 12th spot.

Last edited by isaidso; December 20th, 2016 at 04:21 AM.
Old December 21st, 2016, 12:02 AM   #1784
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by P05 View Post
What a mess, months not in order, and september is missing in both 2015 and 2016.

To do this there was no need to redesign the website.
Solved:

Geachte heer Stoop,

Bedankt voor uw bericht. Uw feedback wordt zeer op prijs gesteld. We hebben de cijfers weer op chronologische volgorde gezet en de cijfers van september 2015 en 2016 toegevoegd.

Met vriendelijke groet,

XXXXXXXXXXXX
Contentmanager
Corporate Affairs

Postbus 7501, 1118 ZG Schiphol

Which means as much as they added Sept. '15 and '16 and put everything back in chronological order.

Seljuk liked this post
julesstoop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 12:35 PM   #1785
bubbalo

Likes (Received): 925

Hey guys,

for YYZ we could wait forever, so I am gonna present OCT stats without it (more likely with an estimation number)

October is not the most interesting month in the the year however couple of interesting things happend

As it has been noted AMS was 2nd busiest European airport in monthly statistics, right after LHR, steadily climbing to overall second position (probably next year, this year CDG still be 2nd busiest EU airport)

Only 2 airports registered their monthly record of transported passengers - CAN and CTU, even though other Chinese airports grew significantly (KMG, CKG)
DEL still impresses me with almost 20% growth, furthermore in period Jan-Oct DEL had net gain in passenger numbers more than 8 million!
PEK is showing high growth regardless capacity constrains

On 12 month rolling basis we got 45th airport crossing the line of 40 million handled passengers - SHA Congratulations! By end of the year EWR and perhaps MNL might get to that level too

One happy story ended in October when AUH registered negative growth after unbelievable 120 months of positive growth! from 2006-10 until 2016-09
Now airport with the longest period of growth would be XIY, growing since 2008-09 (until November it was 99 month in row)

Also last week there was an information about Shanghai becoming 5th city to handle more than 100 million passengers in a year. You can check it in a graph below

Enjoy and Merry Christmas to y'all!

Old December 23rd, 2016, 08:53 PM   #1786
Orion602

Likes (Received): 24

bubbalo: thanks for another great stats update. This is one of my most favourite threads on skyscrapercity

Any idea what is the current DEL capacity? There is info about 3 new terminals planned when needed, increasing capacity to ~100mio/y, but with such growth -if sustained- it seems likely they won't be built fast enough.

and just out of curiosity, which airport is on place #51 or lower, but most likely to get to the list next? Because it looks like GRU is about to say goodbye to top 50 soon
Orion602 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 10:24 PM   #1787
bubbalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWTC4 View Post
Sorry if I bother, but may I ask if someone has data on yearly passenger traffic at Haneda, LAX and SFO from 1970/75 to 1999?
I had been trying to search but the furthest back I was able to go was 1994 for LAX and failed to get any other earlier data....
Sorry SCWTC4 for late reply, here is the requested info
FYI: Haneda's decline in 1978-1980 is due to opening of Narita airport

Orion602: Thanks for your kind words As per airport info T3's capacity is 34 million p/a, T2 15 million p/a and T1 18 million p/a - all together 67 million (plus T1 is being expanded to 30 million p/a, which would make total capacity 82 million). There is still space for the airport to grow, especially in T3. For more info I would recommend to go here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...47516&page=493

And for the 51st biggest airport? Its DOH. As of Oct DOH was nearly 700 000 passengers behind GRU, but with current growth/decline situation I expect DOH to be 50th by end of the year.

Orion602, SCWTC4 liked this post
bubbalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 09:09 AM   #1788
P05
Agur eta ohore

Likes (Received): 2276

Is Doha airport also falling or not yet?
Old December 27th, 2016, 11:54 PM   #1789
doctor magistralis

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
And for the 51st biggest airport? Its DOH. As of Oct DOH was nearly 700 000 passengers behind GRU, but with current growth/decline situation I expect DOH to be 50th by end of the year.
What about XIY, 50th or 51th?
doctor magistralis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 03:12 AM   #1790
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2206

Doha is rising rapidly.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 08:55 AM   #1791
doctor magistralis

Likes (Received): 277

So DOH over 37 million in 2016? Great!
doctor magistralis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 06:29 PM   #1792
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3674

Will BCN be in the TOP 30 this year?
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 07:06 PM   #1793
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitxofo View Post
Will BCN be in the TOP 30 this year?
No, it will overtake Toronto but not Mumbai as that airport is growing at a similar pace. Next year BCN probably will overtake Charlotte and Miami because of the increase in intercontinental traffic. Still Mumbai will be ahead and keep on growing until it runs into slot restrictions.

The main problem for BCN is that it only has 1 runway usable for MTOW intercontinental traffic so it it limited in growth potential there.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #1794
bubbalo

DOH is not slowing down, in fact the growth is speeding up. YTD growth for 11 months of 2016 is more than 21% and November itself grew by 23.7%. I am sure by end of the year DOH will be hitting 37 million.

I mentioned couple days before that difference between GRU and DOH was almost 700 000 passengers in period 2015-11/2016-10, right now in November its not even 130 000!

As for gincan's theories I have to agree with supporting materials, however I am not sure how fast BOM can grow in the future with only one runway operating...

bubbalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 02:43 AM   #1795
mileymc1

Likes (Received): 637

Is there any top 20 or top 50 list just for Europe airports?
mileymc1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 03:20 AM   #1796
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2206

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileymc1 View Post
Is there any top 20 or top 50 list just for Europe airports?
Anna.aero has that. Top 400 or so.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 04:58 AM   #1797
mileymc1

Likes (Received): 637

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Anna.aero has that. Top 400 or so.
Ah! Thank you very much. Just checked it out, nice to see Spain on a big increase with as expected Turkey having big falls. U.K seems to be steadily growing! Cheers
mileymc1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:04 AM   #1798
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbalo View Post
As for gincan's theories I have to agree with supporting materials, however I am not sure how fast BOM can grow in the future with only one runway operating...
I would not call it theories though, Barcelona will se a big increase in intercontinental passenger traffic to the airport with all the new routes opening up. Also IAG will start a war on Norweigan next year so we will se price dumping and flooding of cheat tickets on north american flights (Los Angeles and San Francisco). Norweigan is also pointing the big finger to the big three starting direct competition on New York (United using a 764 vs Norweigan's 788 will be toast unless they either switch plane or start a price war, they both fly to Newark while Delta and AA use JFK). The oversupply will probably be huge so I would expect a big upsurge of north american tourists to Barcelona and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherme View Post

Bitxofo, Robi_damian liked this post

Last edited by gincan; December 29th, 2016 at 06:30 AM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #1799
Desportivo

Likes (Received): 68

I'm expecting AMS will be back in the world top 10 in 2017, with LHR and AMS as the only european airports.
Desportivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #1800
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3674

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
I would not call it theories though, Barcelona will se a big increase in intercontinental passenger traffic to the airport with all the new routes opening up. Also IAG will start a war on Norweigan next year so we will se price dumping and flooding of cheat tickets on north american flights (Los Angeles and San Francisco). Norweigan is also pointing the big finger to the big three starting direct competition on New York (United using a 764 vs Norweigan's 788 will be toast unless they either switch plane or start a price war, they both fly to Newark while Delta and AA use JFK). The oversupply will probably be huge so I would expect a big upsurge of north american tourists to Barcelona and vice versa.
Yes, BCN will be in the TOP 30 in 2017, for sure!!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airports, aviation, europe, statistics