daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Miami > Development News

Old March 8th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #61
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale

Now where's that Lynx pic ?!

I too have been waiting on the big surprise...the one you mentioned in one of your phototours...Cough it up Uptown!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 8th, 2005, 10:27 PM   #62
south florida dave

Likes (Received): 32

oh yeah, i forgot about that. stop being such a tease, uptown, & give it up!

wait, that didn't come out like i meant it...
south florida dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #63
jzquince69
jimmy

Likes (Received): 545

you guys kill me.

jzquince69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #64
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 1445

JZ , its LIKE the GREAT Man , Himself, RODNEY KING, " Why Can't we JUST GET ALONG " LOL.
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #65
jzquince69
jimmy

Likes (Received): 545

I want that 80 story condo built. is that so wrong?

jzquince69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #66
mileageman

Likes (Received): 109

Construction firm to start work on Island Gardens

Last edited by mileageman; March 1st, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
mileageman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #67
mileageman

Likes (Received): 109

Last edited by mileageman; March 1st, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
mileageman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #68
DGM

Likes (Received): 293

I think that the construction of this resort sets a horrible precedent. Watson Island was donated to the county under the circumstance that it would be used for benefit of the whole public. The building of this resort is an insult to the people of Miami. I have a lot of respect for the mayor but I don't understand why he is allowing a resort to be built on this island. The only justification is that they are building gardens. If these gardens aren't opened to the public I will be very angry.

DGM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #69
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 96

i agree with what dgm said,but i really can't think of two many things that you can put there that would be successful,a hotel is a great idea.
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:17 AM   #70
logybogy

Likes (Received): 80

What exactly would you rather have there on Watson Island? A resort that will add millions and millions in property taxes, sales taxes, bed taxes to the city's coffers or an ugly strip of barren land used by homeless people and drug addicts?

Cause what's been there for decades, aint working!

logybogy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #71
streetscapeer
hmmm......

I'm one of the very few (it seems) that likes this project!

I'm glad things are solidifying and work is set to start!

Old September 29th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #72
DGM

That's a good point but it goes to show that government in America uses public lands very ineffectively. It's a shame that the greatest uses of public lands reached a climax over a thousand years ago in the form of greek forums and roman bathhouses. I'm not saying that I want to shower with strangers on Watson Island but that I wish those concepts would have evolved into a modern form that could be implemented in large governmentally owned lands like Virginia Key or Watson Island. Of course there is also a kind of shut-in mentality that has flourished with the growth of suburbs so a forum wouldn't really function well. But, hopefully as people begin to migrate to cities that mentality will begin to fade. From what I've just said I'm sure you guys wouldn't be surprised that the one project I'm most excited about in Miami is Museum Park. Not even potential 1,100 footers, in my opinion, would add more to the city of Miami than Museum Park.

Old September 30th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #73
Roark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer
I'm one of the very few (it seems) that likes this project!
I'm with you...it is a great use, and it will enhance Miami nicely. Of course I miss buying fresh fish from the fellas on Watson Island, but the Island Gardens project will serve so many more people. I love it.
Quote:
I think that the construction of this resort sets a horrible precedent. The building of this resort is an insult to the people of Miami. I have a lot of respect for the mayor but I don't understand why he is allowing a resort to be built on this island. The only justification is that they are building gardens. If these gardens aren't opened to the public I will be very angry.
What? As a person of Miami, I'm not insulted at all... There are more than one justification, logy nails down several million of them! This resort isn't setting any precedent good or bad...If you are looking for a precedent, check out Bayside. That is city land leased by private enterprise...Check out the Rusty Pelican...city land leased by private enterprise. It probably doesn't help much to get very angry...it's been done before, and it'll be done again.
I'd hazard to say that BOTH of the forementioned projects are successful, and they are two great examples of the Government making smart decisions with public land.

Last edited by Roark; September 30th, 2005 at 01:04 AM.
Roark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #74
DGM

It's true that this isn't the first time that the city of Miami has allowed public land to be privately developed. However this is the first time that they've allowed a hotel to be built. Previously the local government has allowed malls, museums and restaurants to be built. Museums and malls are justifiable because they are resources that the public can utilize. I'll let bayside hut and the rusty pelican on virginia key slide because I went to school for 4 years on that island and would have killed myself if i had to always eat cafeteria food. But a hotel?! How many residents of miami will drive down the street to stay in a hotel in their own city? It is in no way for the public. It is for tourists.

Old September 30th, 2005, 02:03 AM   #75
Roark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM
It's true that this isn't the first time that the city of Miami has allowed public land to be privately developed. However this is the first time that they've allowed a hotel to be built.
Really? How about the Hyatt on the Miami River. The City owns that land.
Quote:
Previously the local government has allowed malls, museums and restaurants to be built. Museums and malls are justifiable because they are resources that the public can utilize. But a hotel?!
Yep...a hotel. But if you study the project a bit more carefully, you will notice that there are several restaurants, a Marina, shops, etc.
Quote:
How many residents of miami will drive down the street to stay in a hotel in their own city? It is in no way for the public. It is for tourists.
I will when it's done! Just spent my birthday weekend in a hotel in my own city.
But guess who is going to work in the shops, restaurants, marina and hotels?? Not tourists DGM. Taxpaying citizens of Miami. In my opinion, paychecks are "resources that the public can utilize".
Roark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:09 AM   #76
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Likes (Received): 2250

Wow !!! Love this project !!

The view of downtown Miami from there will be Awsome

Don Pacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:11 AM   #77
DGM

Well I researched it a bit and it seems that there will be a new 6 acre park that the developers will help landscape. There will also be a fish market, a "children's model yacht boating pond", sculpture displays, boating and fishing charter boats, and a 100 foot WIDE promenade open to the public. That promenade will undoubtedly have the best view of the city. It seems the lawyers working for the city made sure that there were some public amenities. Anyhow, I found a few pictures that I thought you guys would like.

Old September 30th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #78
archifreese

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark
But guess who is going to work in the shops, restaurants, marina and hotels?? Not tourists DGM. Taxpaying citizens of Miami. In my opinion, paychecks are "resources that the public can utilize".
Exactly ! i know that this sounds weird to some people but realistically this city/region can not deny its ongoing dependency on tourist economy to generate jobs.
plus if the project were private/residential theyd probably gate off the whole thing and only residents and their guests would be able to utilize this space.
also the hotel and other attractions will probably help to greatly improve the activity at miami childrens and the parrot jungle both of which seem to be kind of slow business wise.
anyways i think it should be bigger flashier and tackier, the seaplanes that used to (or still do?) land there should have more flights - it looks great landing and taking off and itd be a great view from the plane. Also there needs to be variety; one-trick ponies dont do well in this town and variety keeps things successful. (hesitantly awaiting harsh rebuttals)
archifreese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #79
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Isn't this the older rendering?...I remember them changing the design a while back

I always wanted this one! But I think they changed the design!

Old September 30th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #80
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 96

this is the new design
http://www.floridaftaa.org/web/offic...h/index64.html
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote