daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #2241
GShutty

Likes (Received): 555

As you say spoonsbeatfish, they seem to be doing a job of transforming Spring Gardens and Brown Street into a more pedestrian friendly citiscape. Equally with New York St and the areas off China Town. This should definitely help to entice shoppers off the main drags- Market St, and to wander and explore the other streets as it's fun to do.

Though whilsts they are improvements, it's by no means perfect. The area at the bottom of Norfolk St and the back of Boots for example is pretty terrible- more like a back alley in some respects, though I concede that I'm doing the old Stock Exchange an injustice with that comment.

The Arndale by it's very nature will always attract a certain tenant- ie the national and multi-national chains, so it's vital for the diversity of the city that these smaller streets are brought to life. They can then feed off the crowds that the Arndale will always attract, and hopefully one day the shopping zone between King St and Market Street will be seamless.

Looking at other zones the revitalisation of Stevenson Square and the proposed redevelopments of the surface and adjacent multi-storey car parks on Church St should help to integrate the Northern Quarter into the city centre. Will this be good, or bad? I hope and believe that the independents have enough about them and a big enough loyal following not only to cope but to thrive should this ever become reality.

Sponsored Links

Old April 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #2242
flange

Likes (Received): 729

Quote:
Tesco faces shop storm

Nicola Dowling

25/ 4/2008

PLANS by Tesco to occupy an empty shop in Manchester's Northern Quarter have sparked a row in one of the city's liveliest neighbourhoods.

Tesco has expressed an interest in the former Christopher Wray lighting shop on the corner of High Street and Church Street, near Afflecks.

But the plan has ignited debate over whether the supermarket should be allowed to move into an area renowned for its bohemian bars, individual traders, quirky clothes and art shops.

Those against it argue that there are two other Tesco stores within just a few minutes' walk from the High Street premises and that it will have a detrimental impact on the area renowned for its independent traders.

Coun Pat Karney has invited Tesco boss Sir Terence Leahy to come to the city to discuss the plan and possible alternative city centre sites for the supermarket chain.

He also invited local residents on a site visit to the empty shop and is urging them to make their views known to the council before a decision is taken on the application next month.

He claims there are other areas of the city centre towards Castlefield and Liverpool Road which are more in need of a supermarket.

Northern Quarter resident Phil Burke who attended the site visit said he was in favour of the Tesco bid.

He said: "Having a Tesco would be much better than having it empty."

Mokshapriya,the manager of the Earth Café in Turner Street said the possible arrival of Tesco was `awful news'.

He said: "The shop itself wouldn't affect us but as an ethical café we avoid them as a supplier because we don't believe in what they do."

Tesco would not comment on the plan.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ces_shop_storm
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #2243
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Likes (Received): 310

At first I was bothered by this, but now... not so much. The Tesco on Market St is always rammed to **** and this would be welcome relief. It does suck that places are losing their individuality but we really only have ourselves to blame, it's not as if independants haven't tried- sure they can't compete with the low prices of Tesco but at the same time, people have a choice, I'd certainly pay a premium for a better quality product, apparently it's not on offer. Bring it on, at least it won't be a big empty unit sitting there.
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #2244
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 27

residential areas need food retailers. If nobody else is willing to do it then fair enough. In Soho all you get is a Japanese supermarket, Italian Delis, a Fresh and Wild and an outdoor market.

Perhaps an outdoor food market instead of a Tesco.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #2245
crazymanc1

Likes (Received): 0

its hardly the northen quater anyway, if it was on oldam road id be completely against it, bit its more arndale etc. it should be on the other side of town though, castefield is a better location.
crazymanc1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #2246
flange

Sunglass Hut at Trafford Centre has been refurbished so it is like there store at Manchester Arndale
Old April 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #2247
flange

Quote:
Originally Posted by uklad1979 View Post
JJB at the top of market street has closed and all the stock has gone. That was quick! I think their unit at Ancoats maybe going too as a few stores have closed at the retail park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comdot View Post
saturday
It looks like JJB has closed there store at Central Retail Park now aswell. All the signage seems to have been taken down from around the store and there is now mention of the Ancoats store on the JJB website now.
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #2248
crazymanc1

That sarah village tower thing is making quite an impression on the skyline from the ground. I say they should get rid of the retail park completely its very tacky and a huge eyesore, and with all the new developments ready shoot up round here the area could be the new deansgate if they play thier cards right.
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #2249
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 63

with gravity, sarah village complete, that hotel next to ilva, all leading down to CIS, it will look very nice.

if they could get shut off that retail park and build something that faces right on to the road, nothing that fancy needed, it would be nice and dense, minus the odd blip, all the way down to crowne plaza.

I'm just annoyed that they allowed ilva, and its surface car park, to be built there, don't know what the hell they were thinking with that one.
monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #2250
crazymanc1

I think the retail park should be flattened and the space used for a public park, all these people moving in need open spaces and i think it would look good in the middle of all this new highrise.
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #2251
Mez

Likes (Received): 31

I actually think once it's flattened, more shops should be put there. Not nasty Argos type things though.
In my opinion, all this development around Pollard st will feel very isolated once its up and running (with yet more cranes towering over it no doubt).

How about a bakery, a tea house, green grocers... one or two late night theme bars even.
Mez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #2252
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 63

there's never going to be a public park there. who's going to pay for it? besides, there's new public realm directly behind.
monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #2253
uklad1979
BANNED

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
It looks like JJB has closed there store at Central Retail Park now aswell. All the signage seems to have been taken down from around the store and there is now mention of the Ancoats store on the JJB website now.
I am betting on JD being the next to go as it can not be making the money then Argos as the numbers go down at the retail park they won't stay when the Fort store is doing so well. I was at The Fort yesterday I noticed George has changed to the Asda Living brand but I didn't see any changes inside as I was passing the doors. Lilly & Skiner is closing down and there is only 1 empty unit next to Next.
uklad1979 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #2254
flange

Would not be surprised aswell if JD left next seeing as they have two well performing stores in the Arndale.

There proberly has not been that much change with Asda Living as they still have George sections within the store, the only main change that i can think of is the addition of a Caffè Ritazza, not surprised over Lilly and Skinner closing seeing as Shoe Zone bought them earlier this year and the fort location is not really one fitting for there stores, also Outfit will be opening soon inbetween Superdrug and Blacks.
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #2255
uklad1979
BANNED

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Would not be surprised aswell if JD left next seeing as they have two well performing stores in the Arndale.

There proberly has not been that much change with Asda Living as they still have George sections within the store, the only main change that i can think of is the addition of a Caffè Ritazza, not surprised over Lilly and Skinner closing seeing as Shoe Zone bought them earlier this year and the fort location is not really one fitting for there stores, also Outfit will be opening soon inbetween Superdrug and Blacks.
Looks like Outfit is taking both units between Blacks and Superdrug as banners are up and work has started. Blacks is now a Clearance store so I am not sure if that bodes well for it lasting long term.
uklad1979 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #2256
flange

Yes Outfit are taking both units inbetween Superdrug and Blacks they will stock Dorothy Perkins, Burtons, Miss Selfridge, Wallis and Evans and yes as you say uklad1979 the future is not looking well for Blacks i have heard that they may close at Fort along with a few other stores at the park.
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #2257
flange

Freespirit has been refurbished at Trafford Centre
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #2258
flange

Quote:
Trafford Centre looks smart as designers flock in

By James Chapelard

The Trafford Centre is defying the retail gloom by signing up three new designer shops.

Fashion retailers Calvin Klein, Bench and G-Star Raw are each taking up around 3,500 sq ft in the Peel Holdings owned centre.

The stores are expected to open in the coming weeks with Calvin Klein offering its full range of products rather than just underwear.

The deal is good news for the Trafford Centre in the present climate, in which national retailers have been sluggish in committing themselves to signing new leases.

Calvin Klein, will open on the centre's Peel Avenue, close to other designers including Vivienne Westwood, Hugo Boss, Armani and DKNY.

Trafford Centre director of operations Gordon McKinnon said it is part of a deliberate policy to focus one area of the centre, near John Lewis, on high end fashion retailers.

Peel said since the new 200,000 sq ft John Lewis opened in 2005 it has been approached by a number of retailers wanting to locate in Peel Avenue.

McKinnon added: “It is great news in the current climate where retailers are taking much longer to make investment decisions, to be able to announce these signings.”

G-Star Raw — co-owned by former Liverpool footballer Gary McAllister — will open next to Selfridges, while Bench will open on Regent Crescent, close to Debenhams. G-Star opened a shop in Manchester Arndale before Christmas.

In recent weeks the Trafford Centre has also signed up HomeSence to the second phase of Barton Square which opens on May 22.

In a separate development Orbit-owned Middlebrook Retail and Leisure Park has signed up Costa Coffee, Phones 4U and Carphone Warehouse. The stores are due to open in the coming months although no firm dates have been set.
http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness..../-/-/more-news
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #2259
flange

Quote:
Planners draw up a list of shops missing from Manchester

Growth of rival retail centres underlines need for new strategy

By Simon Binns

A new report has identified weaknesses in Manchester city centre's retail offering which must be addressed if it is to fight off increased competition from rival shopping attractions.

Pressure has intensified due to the Trafford Centre's newly opened Barton Square, and Grosvenor's 42-acre, £1bn Liverpool One development, which will comprise over 160 shops when it is fully open in September.

Concerns about the impact of these developments prompted Manchester City Council and Cityco, the city centre management company, to commission a new strategy document from a group of advisers including planning consultants Drivers Jonas, architects Lunson Mitchenell and retail strategists Benoy.

Cityco chief executive Gordon Reid told Crain's that the report had identified gaps in the city's retail offering.

“We'd had a decade of significant investment in the retail sector,” he said. “Above and beyond that, there was no real strategy on where to go next.

“We wanted to look at the existing levels of market penetration and analyse new trends. Also, if the retailers we have here are right and if they have the right space requirements.”

Reid said that the city wanted to engage with “a long list” of retailers that the city is currently missing. “There are lots of retailers that aren't here, like any city — but there aren't any huge gaps. There are no major deficiencies, but there are opportunities.”

Reid acknowledged that increased competition from nearby cities was a factor in commissioning the report.

“Liverpool and Leeds are catching up in terms of floor space, so we need to be aware of the competition,” he said. “The Trafford Centre is a fact of life. Every city has one. If it didn't exist, you couldn't have that amount of floor space in the city centre anyway.”

Joanne Jennings, chief executive of Liverpool One, said that the North West as a whole, including Manchester, should welcome Grosvenor's mammoth new shopping scheme. The 1.4m sq ft retail development has already let 80 per cent of its space, which translates into 111 shops. Liverpool One is anchored by a John Lewis store — a retailer that Manchester has been trying to lure into the city centre for some time.

“We should all be welcoming the substantial improvements to the retail and leisure offer in Liverpool as they create a major opportunity for the North West,” said Jennings. “For me, it should be less about competition between Liverpool and Manchester but rather working in partnership to promote the region.”

Market traders

Cityco's Reid was also keen to stress the importance of independent, and the report claims that the Northern Quarter should be positioned as a base for fledgling retailers. However, as the council considers a planning application from Tesco opposite a raft of independent market traders in the Arndale Centre, Reid said there would be no special measures to keep multiples from acquiring sites in certain areas.

“The Northern Quarter is the most obvious place for independents,” he said. “We don't see the big multiples being interested in that area. They like to go near their principal competitors and have a certain shape and size of stores. But there'll be no ban on them. Planning laws state that a retail unit is a retail unit. There can be a co-existence in the city.”
http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness....rom-manchester
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #2260
Bluegate74

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Reid View Post
At first I was bothered by this, but now... not so much. The Tesco on Market St is always rammed to **** and this would be welcome relief. It does suck that places are losing their individuality but we really only have ourselves to blame, it's not as if independants haven't tried- sure they can't compete with the low prices of Tesco but at the same time, people have a choice, I'd certainly pay a premium for a better quality product, apparently it's not on offer. Bring it on, at least it won't be a big empty unit sitting there.

It was very interesting to note Councellor Karney stating in the MEN on Friday 25th. that he had invited Tesco to visit the city and perhaps look at alternative sites for the store.

A liquor licensing notice has just recently been posted in the windows of this shop, which contrary to the MEN article is not empty and still trading. News from nearby shop keepers also confirm that Tesco has been paying half the lease on the Christopher Wray shop for some months now. So it is clear this is already a done deal and local voices have never been of interest to the city council.
Bluegate74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
retail