daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #81
skymann
Gtr Mcr,1st after Gtr Ldn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
First glimpses of the new interior?

Quintain Appoints Mission Control

Quintain Estates and Development PLC has appointed Mission Control to install, manage and create content for a digital signage solution in the new Royal Exchange Shopping Centre, Manchester. Using Future Software DigiShow products, Mission Control plans to deliver HD content to wow the customers and create a unique shopping environment in the centre of the retail core.

That is nice. I'm confused how there is a glass roof? I though the shopping centre was directly under the theatre space. Obviously the Royal Exchange is kinda tardis-like or something. Great to see it's gonna come back into use. It used to be great before the bomb, but never recovered after that - now a new start.
skymann no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 10th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #82
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 12

I think the theatre only uses half the original trading floor.

I say I think, but am not sure.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #83
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrolink
That beach shop has been there for ages, must be about a year now.
yeah its been there ages
rolybling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #84
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2894

ILVA, Piccadilly Basin.

jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #85
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Definitely the sexiest retail park ever! Only in manchester!
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #86
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford
Definitely the sexiest retail park ever! Only in manchester!
Right opposite central retail park, what a contrast!
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #87
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Some have suggested that central has had its day and Mcr Fort will wipe it out. There is no room to expand at central so hopefully it'll clear off and we'll get something decent in its place.
I think ILVA has just been let to one retailer hasnt it- a high end furniture store?
Proving retail parks dont have to be shit (with its architecture if not the concept)
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #88
skymann
Gtr Mcr,1st after Gtr Ldn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford
Some have suggested that central has had its day and Mcr Fort will wipe it out. There is no room to expand at central so hopefully it'll clear off and we'll get something decent in its place.
I think ILVA has just been let to one retailer hasnt it- a high end furniture store?
Proving retail parks dont have to be shit (with its architecture if not the concept)
It's a pity the City council didn't insist that Mcr Fort could only be built if the Central one was knocked down (with the units relocatinf to the Fort). It's too prime an area to last. Must surely have a very limited period left (fingers crossed).

The ILVA company are a Danish equivalent to IKEA (bit better quality and slightly more expensive). Save having to got to Warrington IKEA (until they build one in Gtr Manchester - either city centre or that one off the M60 in east mcr - Ashton Moss??). The development is for the ILVA store only. If the furniture is as stylish as the development - it should be good. Our chance to support Denmark too! I've seen the cartoons and I can understand why Muslims might be offended, but the reaction is like something from the Dark Ages. Scary stuff. Like a kinda Spanish Inquisition reaction - totally OTT. It's not two cultures clashing - it's two time zones - 21stC and 15thC (or even 8th C where groups like the Taliban are concerned). Hope no Muslims boycott ILVA in Mcr when it opens.
skymann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #89
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

it looks ok compared to Central but I think its totally inappropriate for that site.

Disappointed of Whalley Range.
rolybling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:15 AM   #90
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Likes (Received): 1

I thought I read that this experiment had not been wholly succesful, clearly I was wronged on bad wordings.

City's shoppers get longer hours
Quote:
Shops in Manchester city centre are to stay open late all year round after a successful Christmas for retailers.
Stores experienced a 7% increase in sales in the run-up to the festive period, compared to the national figures of 2.6%.

But late-night shopping experienced the biggest boom with some shops generating 20% of their weekly income after 1800 GMT during Autumn months.

On average, retailers reported a 17% increase during after-work hours.

The figures were release by the Manchester City Centre Management Company (MCCMC) on Tuesday.

Shopping trend

Heavy workloads and shorter lunch breaks are believed to be behind the trend towards night shopping, the company said.

Psychologist Prof Cary Cooper, from Lancaster University, said: "Consumers are becoming increasingly accustomed to shopping for what they want, when they want it any time of day or night.

"The Internet offers total flexibility of 24-hour shopping and today's consumers now expect the same extended shopping times on the high street."

In response to the trend, stores in the Arndale Centre and much of the city centre will now stay open until 2000 GMT every night except Sunday.

Paul Rice, MCCMC's chief executive, said stores wanted to maintain the momentum of the recent figures and respond to what people want from city centre shops.

"Manchester as a destination has so much to offer and late night trading bridges the gap between working hours and people going out in the evening to the theatre, for drinks or to a restaurant," he said.
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 12:51 PM   #91
roverman

Likes (Received): 2

I welcome the news about the later opening hours, but really it is a no-brainer and it's amazing that it has taken so long for the CBD retail community to address it. Most major cities I have visited on the continent have shops open well into the evening, and the Trafford Centre has been open to 2200hrs for some time now, with great success. So opening the city's shop (how many of them?) until just 2000hrs looks tame but it is a step in the right direction.

It is vital for Manchester to offer more than eating, drinking, and clubbing to its nighttime vistors. The addition of shopping is likely to make the city streets safer, vibrant, and more diverse in the sense of more families and over-35s. In short, a more inclusive and cosmopolitan experience, which the best cities always are. There is still work to be done on the catering front though - as anyone who has tried to get a cup of coffee in the city after about 2100 will testify - all the Starbucks etc have closed and everywhere else just wants to sell you alcohol. It is also difficult to eat in Manchester after 2130-2200 - most places closing their kitchens around that time, and you end up in Rusholme for a mediocre curry. This is not in keeping with a major international city, where you should expect to eat well into the night, or just stop off for a coffee on the way home from the theatre. Manchester is a great city by day, but still lags behind the pace after dark for many people, including me.
roverman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 01:02 PM   #92
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman
I welcome the news about the later opening hours, but really it is a no-brainer and it's amazing that it has taken so long for the CBD retail community to address it. Most major cities I have visited on the continent have shops open well into the evening, and the Trafford Centre has been open to 2200hrs for some time now, with great success. So opening the city's shop (how many of them?) until just 2000hrs looks tame but it is a step in the right direction.

It is vital for Manchester to offer more than eating, drinking, and clubbing to its nighttime vistors. The addition of shopping is likely to make the city streets safer, vibrant, and more diverse in the sense of more families and over-35s. In short, a more inclusive and cosmopolitan experience, which the best cities always are. There is still work to be done on the catering front though - as anyone who has tried to get a cup of coffee in the city after about 2100 will testify - all the Starbucks etc have closed and everywhere else just wants to sell you alcohol. It is also difficult to eat in Manchester after 2130-2200 - most places closing their kitchens around that time, and you end up in Rusholme for a mediocre curry. This is not in keeping with a major international city, where you should expect to eat well into the night, or just stop off for a coffee on the way home from the theatre. Manchester is a great city by day, but still lags behind the pace after dark for many people, including me.
Thats so true Roverman, Ive often wondered why when I've gone abroad and I see shops and services open much later; why I can't see that here in Manchester. The City centre at night time does seem to be mostly about bars and clubs which is fine for all the disco bunnies and piss heads but like you say, what about somewhere you can pop in for a coffee or a snack after 10:00pm;you struggle. Its a shame, the potential is all there it just needs tapping into.
Old February 21st, 2006, 06:05 PM   #93
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolybling
Thats so true Roverman, Ive often wondered why when I've gone abroad and I see shops and services open much later; why I can't see that here in Manchester. The City centre at night time does seem to be mostly about bars and clubs which is fine for all the disco bunnies and piss heads but like you say, what about somewhere you can pop in for a coffee or a snack after 10:00pm;you struggle. Its a shame, the potential is all there it just needs tapping into.
Whatever happened to those wonderful tomaine-dispensing hot-dog/burger stands in town? And the ones where you could get a nice (cracked) cup of milky, lukewarm weak 'tea' where the sugar-spoon was attached to the vehicle with a ******' chain no less....

We didn't any of yer fancy-dan posh nosheries in them days...
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:28 PM   #94
flange

Likes (Received): 709

another apple store may be coming to manchester

apple are possibly going to be opening another apple store in the manchester arndale extension phase 2 which is opening in april

here is the details

information

floor plan of new arndale extension
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:41 PM   #95
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Mac - tastic!
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:59 PM   #96
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

Dam it doesnt look very big. I wanted a BIG Apple Store. The one in the Trafford Centre isnt big enough at the weekends you can hardly get in there to have a good look around.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:11 PM   #97
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange
apple are possibly going to be opening another apple store in the manchester arndale extension phase 2 which is opening in april

here is the details

information

floor plan of new arndale extension
More proof of Manchester's reputation as a city on the up. Their TC store is always packed. There's plenty of money in the city centre aswell.
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:25 PM   #98
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Its one less reason to have to go to the TC. Ive been to the Tc more times since the Apple store opened than in my whole life!
Now i need ever go again - hooray!
The one in the TC is always packed but no one seems to be buying owt. The knuckle draggers who go to the TC arent sophisticated enough to appreciate Mac's anyway!
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM   #99
flange

Likes (Received): 709

yes the apple store does look small but look at other stores on the plan topshop looks fairly small and that is going to be the second biggest outside london so you never know it could end up to be bigger than the trafford store, and it will also probably have a better frontage than the trafford store hopefully actual display windows.

and also about the topman store it is going to be a brand new concept store, details here

topman concept store

and here is a image of what the new arndale will look like when finished

Last edited by flange; February 21st, 2006 at 11:48 PM.
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:33 PM   #100
jrb
10th February 2008

I'm really looking forward to the Royal Exchange opening once again. From what little information we have, it looks/sounds like it's going to be one hell of a refurb. The retail line up has been kept under wraps as well. I don't think we're going to be dissapointed.

Tags
retail