daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Chicago

Old September 29th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #1
Chi-City
Chi-City, Stand Up!

Likes (Received): 0

Kanye West and Chicago

My friends and I tossed around this topic over a couple of 312's the other night. Some of you may not be very familiar with Kanye, but he is the biggest hip hop star in the country - if not the world right now.

1. Is Kanye West the biggest Chicago pop icon? (besides Oprah and MJ)
2. Do you feel that he portrays Chicago in a positive light?
3. What sort of impact may he have on our community?

----------------------------
"And you say Chi city We don't stop naw we don't quit"
Common / Kanye
BE
Chi-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 29th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #2
DeMaFrost

Location: Too North for Lakeview, too east for Roscoe Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-City
My friends and I tossed around this topic over a couple of 312's the other night. Some of you may not be very familiar with Kanye, but he is the biggest hip hop star in the country - if not the world right now.

1. Is Kanye West the biggest Chicago pop icon? (besides Oprah and MJ)
2. Do you feel that he portrays Chicago in a positive light?
3. What sort of impact may he have on our community?

----------------------------
"And you say Chi city We don't stop naw we don't quit"
Common / Kanye
BE
I'll take some sort of stab at this:

1. Yeah, I can't think of anyone thats close. I'm probably forgetting some major ones but: Urlacher, Daley, Vince Vaughn. Sorry list haha

2. Well to be fair, I think he grew up either in the suburbs or in a well-off Chicago neighborhood. He wouldn't be "for real" if he rapped about life in the hood or whatnot. From what I've heard on his two major albums, he has had nothing bad to say about Chicago. He's well spoken, doesn't play the role of a "stereotypical rapper", he represents Chicago's liberal side (based on his comments a few weeks ago ) I think he even did a free concert at the House of Blues a few months ago. I'd say he reps the city well.

3. As his fame grows, he seems to never forget his roots of Chicago. He took longtime Chicago rappers Twista and Common to the mainstream (although to be fair, Common had won a grammy for one of his previous albums). It would be nice if he became publically involved in the community. I think Daley embraces Kanye's presence and link to the city considering the fact that he is a generally good guy and a way politically to show the African-American
community of Chicago in a good light (whether this is right or not I'm not here to argue). Despite his comments a few weeks ago, overall I think he is good for the community.
DeMaFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #3
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

apperently not that popular , i never herd of the guy and im a pretty with it guy. i guess i run with different circles.
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #4
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 1

^He's very popular in the circle called Earth.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #5
NWside

Cover of Time magazine, and a good excuse for me to wear colorful overpriced Lacoste shirts.... Yeah he's pretty influential outside of the music industry, as long as he gives back to the community all is good.
NWside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #6
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedestcity
apperently not that popular , i never herd of the guy and im a pretty with it guy. i guess i run with different circles.

Heck, I'm mostly into classical music and EVEN I'VE heard of him!

UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #7
oshkeoto

"apperently not that popular , i never herd of the guy and im a pretty with it guy. i guess i run with different circles."

Wow. You never heard of him? In case you needed proof that Chicago is too segregated...

Yeah, from what I hear, pioneer and innovator of hip-hop, constantly referencing Chicago, pretty liberal for the rap scene (criticized his peers for homophobic lyrics)...I'm glad to have him around.
oshkeoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #8
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 843

I like his music and I sure as heck would rather have him "represent" Chicago more then Snoppy or 50 cent but the guy embarressed himself a few weeks ago. Those statements do nothing other then turn away from the cause and mock reactionary ill informed celebrities.

George Bush told Feds to shoot black people?

As far as that other poster not knowing who he was. Does this mean this guy isn't "diverse"? Why in the heck is knowing who Kayne West needed to shows an opening of mind? Would you say the same thing to a black guy if they didn't know who the White Stripes or Coldplay were? Who gives a darn about pop culture anyway black or white.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #9
aleph_null
¾

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedestcity
WHAT? But he's the guy who said "Bush doesn't care about black people" on national television!!
aleph_null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #10
chgoman
BANNED

Of course I've heard of him but I coudln't tell you any of his music, I am not really into hip-hop or modern rap. I really liked Public Enemy back in the 80's early 90''s, but kanye west wouldn't know him if i saw him or heard him
chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #11
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 4

Kanye West, like Chicago itself, is solid and down to earth. I love to blast "Breathe In/Breathe Out" on the car stereo as I'm driving back into town. For any of the forum members who'd like to familiarize themselves with his stuff, I'd recommend the "Late Registration" video DVD, which includes his sessions for Chappelle's Show.

Last edited by wrabbit; September 29th, 2005 at 02:05 PM.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #12
wickedestcity
BANNED

yeh sorry guys im a white american who likes rock . i have nothing against those who like hip hop and rap but its just not my thing . on the other hand im not compleatly obliviouse to the hip hop world and i thought i knew most every populare artist out there i dont know how this one could have slipped through the cracks. did he just recently become big? like in the past month?
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #13
Chi-City
Chi-City, Stand Up!

Wickedestcity,

Understandable, it is a little suprising because he is from Chicago and you don't know him, but, I probably don't know a lot of rock guys eaither.

He's been on the cover of the following:
- Red Eye
- Trib
- Sun Times
- Rolling Stone
- Time
- Countless "hip hop" magazines

And he is a very outspoken individual. On live tv he stated, "George Bush hates black people" causing an uproar around the nation.

Keep an eye out for him now, he's a fellow Chicagoan and I did a little research as well, he has a charity named LOOP DREAMS (how cool) and he donantes his time and money to this charity.
Chi-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #14
DeMaFrost

Location: Too North for Lakeview, too east for Roscoe Village

Yeah Kanye has been everywhere for the past year or so. Seriously that's extremely weird you've never heard of him. I know most people don't watch MTV, but it would be impossible to flip past the channel and not see his "Gold Digger" video
DeMaFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #15
Chicago3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkeoto
"apperently not that popular , i never herd of the guy and im a pretty with it guy. i guess i run with different circles."

Wow. You never heard of him? In case you needed proof that Chicago is too segregated...
Since he is national and intertnationally known for both his artistry and his political convictions (the one who said Bush doesn't like blacks).....this is more of an example of a person who isn't into current events. Doesn't matter where he lives......
Chicago3rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #16
uberalles
Boca Raton,FL (x-Chicago)

Kanye who?
uberalles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #17
tm

MJ is from Chicago?
Id say Kanye is the biggest current icon for chicago, he's one of the top artists right now. Hes not the stereotypical rapper in those typical videos. For those that don't him, you've probably seen him without knowing. His mor famous songs include Jesus Walks, Slow Jams (Twista), and the current number song in the US: Golddigger. Hes responisble for the success of Alicia Keys sophomore album, Twista, nominated for a few Grammy's this year and won one, and apparently hes going to work with Whitney Houston on her upcoming "comeback" album so I heard.
tm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #18
goonsta
re

Likes (Received): 3

He's a production genious and an enjoyable rapper.

He's from the South Side equivalent of parts of Evanston, a middle class black area with one foot in the hood, but not completely in it.
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #19
wickedestcity
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-City
Wickedestcity,

And he is a very outspoken individual. On live tv he stated, "George Bush hates black people" causing an uproar around the nation.
this much i heard about but i didnt know who that was who said it . ok so i have herd of him then. just didnt put 2 and 2 together
Old September 29th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #20
oshkeoto

"He's from the South Side equivalent of parts of Evanston, a middle class black area with one foot in the hood, but not completely in it."

No kidding, Kanye West is from Evanston? Jeez, I lived there two years and never knew that. Where exactly? The Emerson-Dempster/Dodge area?
oshkeoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote