daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #601
xizhimen

Likes (Received): 156

xizhimen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #602
xizhimen

Old September 19th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #603
xizhimen

ever thought about proposing in a subway car?
Old September 19th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #604
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14302

Go Beijing!!!

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #605
pearl_river

Likes (Received): 1

Shaghai targets 500km+ by 2010 and 877km by 2020.
pearl_river no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #606
xizhimen

Old September 19th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #607
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizhimen View Post
whatever,huh,i m just relaying the information,put those key words to google,you may find tons of those reports.
None of them are "reports." They are all rehashed press articles.

Quote:
and i m here to post pics
Apparently, you're posting articles as well... Or at least pieces of them.

Quote:
,not picking up fights,a picture is worth a thousand words,why not just keep quiet and just view the pics.
Nobody is picking a fight with you... You need not take offense because someone questions the validity of a statement or expresses their own, logical, sound opinion. This is a discussion forum, after all.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #608
particlez

Likes (Received): 106

many of the critics on this thread aren't making sense. the fact that a city is motivated to expand its mass transit system IS something to celebrate. IF some other city (e.g. one that conformed to the tribal loyalties of the detractors here) were planning some superlative subway system, would the same criticisms exist?

who cares where the world's largest (or fastest or strongest) infrastructure projects are located. i just want them to be built, and provide an alternative to the typical low density car centric sprawl we've seen built over the last half century.

Quote:
Well, Beijing may well have the longest subway, but they do have some way to go before they get the title of being the most extensive transportation network. I imagine they will get there, but they have a long way to go before comparing to Tokyo. London, Paris etc, all have extensive suburban rail networks, something which Beijing is, as yet lacking in any significant number.

Beijing really does need these additional systems, not only to act as an express service, but to cater to what will probably become the largest urban area in the world.
apart from a smattering of prestigious yet irrational, western style burbs, beijing has uniformly high densities. as long as land use laws aren’t repealed and things don't turn into the slash and burn free-for-all greenfield development patterns seen elsewhere, subway transit will be functional throughout the entire built area. satellite photos of beijing compared to other similar population cities should convince you of its smaller, denser, built area.

let's not talk about the suburban systems in other places. suburban rail exists BECAUSE it serves lower density areas which aren't conducive to more efficient forms of mass transit. . if the suburban areas in question had high enough population densities, they could enjoy actual subway lines, as opposed to lower frequency, higher fare, lower ridership surface rail lines that afflict most suburban commuter rail passenger lines servicing the low density, auto-centric burbs.

so let’s be honest. Suburban rail sucks. But since they serve areas that are inherently not conducive to public transport, it still exists.
particlez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #609
xizhimen

i saw an article and posted it,that's it.beijing has plans,so does shanghai,but before those plans turn into reality,let's just call them plans.to be honest,what impresses me the most is the cheap cheap beijing's subway fare,not the luxuary looking stations,and also because the intervals of trains in beijing is very very short,that's why beijing's subway system moves more people than any other cities in china according to the yearly report and is even less crowded.
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #610
xizhimen

Old September 19th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #611
xizhimen

Old September 19th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #612
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

Quote:
beijing subway's intervals between trains are the shortest in the world.
Intervals of the Metro in Toulouse, France:
peak: 80 seconds
off-peak: 4-6 minutes

That's the Metro with shortest intervals I have taken until now. What are the shortest intervals in Beijing Metro?
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #613
xizhimen

in beijing subway stations,there are big screens telling you the waiting time for the next train,it is rarely more than 4 minutes,on peak hours,it is always less than a minute,very often the case is more training pulling out ,another train pulling in,i really dont know how they can always avoid rear collision.
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #614
xizhimen

long term beijing subway planning,but i dont know wether it is real,huh,that means the whole beijing will be hollowed out underground.i would say that would be too scary to live on the ground ,huh

Last edited by xizhimen; September 19th, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #615
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
long term beijing subway planning,but i dont knwo know wether it is real,huh,that means the whole beijing will be hollowed out underground.i would say that would be too scary to live on the ground ,huh
Holy shit I have never seen this map before. Okay I suppose that one is grander than any Shanghai future map I've seen. Point taken. I hope Shanghai will one up that some day...

Beijing is in a tough position because the city is so spread out and sprawly that subways are very inaccessible due to the enormous streets you need to cross to get to them. It tries to be car friendly with the wide roads and still tries to be public transportation friendly with the subway, but its stuck in a grey area where the roads are clogged and subways are too pedestrian unfriendly.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #616
xizhimen

planning is just planning,wether or not they could come true,nobody can say it for sure,subways are for moving around people efficiently,that's what it is all about,beijing made the price impossibly cheap for subway rides to attract more people,but still,has some catchup work to do comparing with some major gobal cities.
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #617
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

Quote:
This is Tianjin subway.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #618
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 16066

Amazing pics. Keep them coming, please. My fab subway in the world. Some elevated stations are stunning too:

image hosted on flickr

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

Highcliff liked this post
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #619
Smallville

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl_river View Post
Shaghai targets 500km+ by 2010 and 877km by 2020.
This kind of competition between Beijing and Shanghai will make both cities that much better. Both cities will benefit from a healthy dose of competition.
Smallville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #620
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Amazing pics. Keep them coming, please. My fab subway in the world. Some elevated stations are stunning too:

image hosted on flickr

!!! What station is this? I remember seeing this in 2007 before I moved to Beijing. I lived there for a year and a half and I never saw it. Is this on line5 by Tiantongyuan (天通苑)
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, metro