daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2009, 07:30 AM   #641
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
"oh trains just follow back to back"
This is of course, an exaggeration. No subway trains in the world operate literally "back to back"- it is unsafe. There is always a minimum braking distance between trains that is maintained- which can be as close as a few hundred meters (or less), depending on operating speed. To the average subway rider, this "to the limit" operation gives an image of train chasing train.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:22 AM   #642
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
This is of course, an exaggeration. No subway trains in the world operate literally "back to back"- it is unsafe. There is always a minimum braking distance between trains that is maintained- which can be as close as a few hundred meters (or less), depending on operating speed. To the average subway rider, this "to the limit" operation gives an image of train chasing train.
Precisely. However, automated systems do have somewhat of an ability to do that. Vancouver's SkyTrain system does that, but you really only see this at the line terminus, where trains head into the station, unload, continue to end of track, then goes back into the station changing tracks to another platform, then loads again. But you wouldn't see trains constantly "back-to-back" with one another, even with an automated system, because it can lead to many system backlogs: if one train is held at a station longer than expected, than the trains behind it are forced to wait until that train leaves the station before they can enter.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:31 AM   #643
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Agreed. I want to know as well. Simply stating "oh trains just follow back to back" isn't very convincing.
in shanghai rush hours, i have caught [email protected]#! numbers of metros that stops before it enters a stop, waiting for the previous metro to leave the station ahaha, does that count as the shortest interval in the world XD

also there are times when you wait 10minutes for a metro in the rush hours and when it finally comes everyone rushes on before you. just when you get angry, the second train comes 20 seconds later

Highcliff liked this post
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:35 PM   #644
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

That future subway map is simply jawdropping.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:05 PM   #645
kossia
BANNED

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
Don't think Beijing will be the largest in the world, or even China for that matter. Isn't Shanghai's subway system planned to be the largest in the world and will be over 500 km by 2012 also?
jezus.... I thought Moscow has the biggest or will have...
kossia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:55 AM   #646
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6892

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
beijing's subway stations looks really nice, but somehow they give me impressions of them being too artificial,

with the cheap fare and short interval between the trains, i wonder how much the government subcidies this industry,
they didn't seem artificial when I went, in fact they were a little dirtier than I thought they would be and seemed less shiny than Tianjin's subway (due to more usage, of course).
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:37 AM   #647
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Beijing subway line 4 to open on 9.25.2009

The 28km subway, running through west Beijing, will open this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohno View Post

All the stations along the new line that links together Beijing's southern Fengtai District and northwestern Haidian District are fully decorated, according to MTR Corporation. Following testing, Line 4 is set to open on October 1 this year. [Photo: CFP/ Jiang Daizheng]

Beijing Zoo Station

Yuan ming yuan station

Workers test the automatic ticketing machine in National library station

(wikipedia)

Last edited by big-dog; September 22nd, 2009 at 07:53 AM.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:38 AM   #648
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

That depends on what line you ride. Line 1 and 2 are pretty old and designed quite poorly. Line 13 is the worst, cramped trains and slow service. Lines 5,8,and 10 are world class subway systems and all have beautiful trains and stations. Transferring from line 10 to line 1 at Guo mao is like going in a time machine.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM   #649
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

Wow those stations are beautiful. I hope Shanghai can get stations that nice looking when our new lines open this year. I hope these don't have bomb detectors too.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM   #650
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
Wow those stations are beautiful. I hope Shanghai can get stations that nice looking when our new lines open this year. I hope these don't have bomb detectors too.
i dont think we will.. line 8, i think, is the one that has concrete ceilings and everything ahaha

Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:09 PM   #651
kix111

that is kinda cool i think haha, totally minimalistic

Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:12 PM   #652
xizhimen

Likes (Received): 156

line 2 was built in mid 1960s,that is china's first subway line including hongkong, it is pretty old , now is undergoing redecoration stuff.it can not compare with new subways lines,but still i like this line the best,huh,a lot of childhood memories there.
xizhimen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #653
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
in shanghai rush hours, i have caught [email protected]#! numbers of metros that stops before it enters a stop, waiting for the previous metro to leave the station ahaha, does that count as the shortest interval in the world XD

also there are times when you wait 10minutes for a metro in the rush hours and when it finally comes everyone rushes on before you. just when you get angry, the second train comes 20 seconds later
That happens during rush-hour in Vancouver as well. The LIM trains probably accelerate slightly faster than Shanghai, however, due to LIM propulsion and weight... so probably a slightly shorter interval (headway). (But really, we're talking seconds here). I dont' think I've waited 10 minutes for a train, though... unless there's a serious problem.

Not sure what Shanghai uses, but SkyTrain here uses the Moving block system... so the faster a train is traveling the more track is blocked off in front and behind it. Two blocks are never allowed to be on the same track.

When it comes to intervals between trains, maximum sustainable interval time is more important than occasional or theoretical time.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM   #654
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossia View Post
jezus.... I thought Moscow has the biggest or will have...
Moscow has the most used. For some reason the 12,000,000 / day is in my head, but I'm too lazy to confirm that. I don't think it's the biggest system but it probably could be considered the most beautiful.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:48 PM   #655
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

According to the latest annual figures (2008), Tokyo has the highest ridership per annum: Wikipedia.
Re-calculated to the number of passengers per day, Moscow averages out on a little more than 7 million riders. Still impressive, but not quite near the 12 million in your head (though that could have been the peak usage for a particular, very busy day)
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #656
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
That happens during rush-hour in Vancouver as well. The LIM trains probably accelerate slightly faster than Shanghai, however, due to LIM propulsion and weight... so probably a slightly shorter interval (headway). (But really, we're talking seconds here). I dont' think I've waited 10 minutes for a train, though... unless there's a serious problem.

Not sure what Shanghai uses, but SkyTrain here uses the Moving block system... so the faster a train is traveling the more track is blocked off in front and behind it. Two blocks are never allowed to be on the same track.

When it comes to intervals between trains, maximum sustainable interval time is more important than occasional or theoretical time.
i dont know how metro in shanghai works, but i know it is in fact the delay of the first train which makes the two trains coming in the station simutaneously

for example the train should come in a 5minute interval, but one delays by 4 minutes however the next train is still on schedule

Old September 26th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #657
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

Beijing's new subway line to open Monday

2009-09-25

A new subway line is to open in Beijing next Monday, three days ahead of the National Day of the People's Republic of China on Oct 1, local authorities said Friday.

The No 4 subway line, which runs south to north through the heart of the city, is 28.2 km long with 24 stations. It is expected to transport more than 400,000 passengers a day.

The subway project had passed inspections by local authorities in regard to construction, urban planning, quality supervision, fire prevention and environmental protection, and the new line would begin operating on Sept 28, a spokesman with the Beijing Municipal Commission of Housing and Urban-rural Development said.

Currently, Beijing has eight subway lines covering 200 kilometers.

The city government plans to build more subway lines, increasing the total length of the city's subway system to 300 km by 2010 and 560 km by 2015.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchin...nt_8737030.htm
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #658
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

New Subway line to accelerate Beijing life

2009-09-27

A new subway line will start operation in Beijing just before China's National Day on October 1. But the exact date remains unannounced.

With a total length of 28.2 kilometers, the Subway Line 4 runs through the city from the northwest to the south.

It will help relieve the pressure of old tube lines by offering an alternative access point to some of the most crowded stations such as XIDAN, which is the center of many shopping malls and is also a rising financial centre.

The ceiling of XIDAN Station is designed to represent copper coins

The new line will also for the first time service many other key places of the city where traffic is not so efficient. For example, it will shuttle people to Beijing's IT centre ZHONGGUANCUN, which is known for its enduring traffic jams. A subway station will also be located inside the Beijing South Railway Station, allowing riders to take the tube right after getting off the train.

Apart from the convenience brought by Line 4, each station also provides a pleasant and diverse visual experience to travel weary commuters.

The Beijing Zoo Station is decorated with pandas.

This station's ceiling is full of abstract balloons and its walls are covered in gorgeous cartoon frescos. The Beijing Zoo station is targeted towards childrens' taste as much as the zoo itself.

In comparison to this liveliness, the area of YUANMINGYUAN Park is designed to show the gravity of history. The relief sculpture depicts the relics in the park, with the years of when it was constructed, ruined, and burnt.

The peeling stone may look a bit abrupt in this clear and modern environment, but the contrast seems to remind us that no matter how fast-paced, how fancy our life is now, roots should never be forgotten.

The relief sculpture in YUANMINGYUAN Park Station depicts the relics in the park.

The Beijing Zoo station's ceiling is full of abstract balloons

The interior design of XIYUAN Station is a combination of modernism and Chinese tradition.

The Beijing Zoo Station is targeted towards childrens' taste with its gorgeous cartoon frescos.

This photo shows the inside of the new train of Line 4.

This photo shows the inside of ZHONGGUANCUN Station,the IT centre of Beijing.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/video/2..._8741665_4.htm

snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #659
Celebriton

Likes (Received): 481

I love the Beijing Subway documentary video in China Daily. Is there a way to download it? Or another download link. I try with Firefox addon UnPlug, but it didn't work.
Celebriton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #660
pearl_river

Likes (Received): 1

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/metro/2...nt_8745746.htm

Line 4 Opened (28.2 km)

BEIJING: The second south-to-north subway line in China's capital started trial operation on Monday, according to municipal transport authorities.

An opening ceremony was held Monday morning for the No. 4 metro line in Beijing, which traverses 28.2 kilometers from the Gongyixi Bridge at the southern section of the city's fourth ring-road to the Summer Palace and the Old Summer Palace.

The project cost 15.38 billion yuan (US$2.25 billion) to build, with Beijing Government taking 70 percent of the stake and the MTR Corporation from Hong Kong holding the remaining 30 percent.

This was the first time private capital was ushered in for construction of a subway line on the Chinese mainland.

It takes 48 minutes to run through all the 24 stations on the No. 4 metro line, and the distance is usually a two-hour drive for a car.

It is estimated that the new subway line will accommodate 400,000 passengers a day on average.

According to the local transport authorities, No. 4 subway is the first metro line on the mainland to adopt the state-of-the-art shock-absorption and noise-reduction technology. The technology, which enables a subway train running "quietly", will be introduced to construction of new metro lines in Beijing, the authorities said.

Li Xiaosong, spokesperson for the municipal transport authorities, said from now to 2015, Beijing will spend 270 billion yuan to improve public transport infrastructures, including subway lines.
pearl_river no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, metro