daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #681
carrot1

Likes (Received): 3

Beijing is gonna build the world's largest subway system by total length by 2015. Congratulation.
carrot1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #682
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot1 View Post
Beijing is gonna build the world's largest subway system by total length by 2015. Congratulation.
Not true, won't Shanghai have a system over 500km by 2012 and isn't Shanghai's masterplan going to be 877 km long? Thats over 300km more than Beijing's plan isn't it?
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #683
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
Moscow has the most used. For some reason the 12,000,000 / day is in my head, but I'm too lazy to confirm that. I don't think it's the biggest system but it probably could be considered the most beautiful.
New York City has the longest subway system in the world. But its not the busiest & its MUCH older, uglier, & grittier than the beautiful, clean, subways pictured here.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #684
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
New York City has the longest subway system in the world. But its not the busiest & its MUCH older, uglier, & grittier than the beautiful, clean, subways pictured here.
Thats surprising. I thought London's or Tokyo's are the longest.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #685
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizhimen View Post
discovery channel:construction miracles,beijing subway

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTIxNDI0MzYw.html
^ do you have any idea if they have that in DVD? I couldnt find it at the Discovery site, its as if the "Man Made Marvel" show doesn't exist. ERRR
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #686
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
The problem with New York subway is that it is to extensive for the relatively few passengers it transport. They can not generate enough money from passengers to keep the system up to date, to modernize the whole network and bring it up to the 21 century would cost more than some developed countries GDP.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #687
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
Thats surprising. I thought London's or Tokyo's are the longest.
London is longest in terms of route length. New York has a longer track length because much of their system is triple or quadruple tracked.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #688
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
The problem with New York subway is that it is to extensive for the relatively few passengers it transport. They can not generate enough money from passengers to keep the system up to date, to modernize the whole network and bring it up to the 21 century would cost more than some developed countries GDP.
Oh, the NYC subway carries a bit more than a relatively few passengers. Actually a rather huge number at that. But no, not as much as Tokyo & a few of the other busiest subways.

You are right about the lack of modernization. Partly due to the billions required to build a just a few blocks of new subway in NYC, & partly due to stiff competition from other US cities for capital project funding from the Federal transit administration.

Yea, London has the world's most route mileage & NYC the world's most total trackage.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #689
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11129

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Amazing pics. Keep them coming, please. My fab subway in the world. Some elevated stations are stunning too:

image hosted on flickr

Amazing shape

I can see even a glass tunnel on the elevated track: is that for trains noise?
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #690
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

is this one on line 5 - northern part?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #691
leo_sh

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
Not true, won't Shanghai have a system over 500km by 2012 and isn't Shanghai's masterplan going to be 877 km long? Thats over 300km more than Beijing's plan isn't it?
Beijing is on Mars, SH on Venus. Don't forget that!
leo_sh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #692
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizhimen View Post
discovery channel:construction miracles,beijing subway

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTIxNDI0MzYw.html
It seems like a good vid, but it's taking forever to load (and my connection is not slow)...any reason for that? It seems like something to do with the site. Any other way of watching this?
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #693
baidu

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau.ukiyo View Post
It seems like a good vid, but it's taking forever to load (and my connection is not slow)...any reason for that? It seems like something to do with the site. Any other way of watching this?
nothing wrong with the site,it's pretty fast
baidu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #694
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

i just went through the video, its just amazing
makes me think why we are so lazy here
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #695
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

its even more astonishing when you think about non-TBM built lines :o
i mean 1 TBM in the whole of beijing? wow
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #696
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1779

The lines of Beijing subways are rather ... interestingly planned to put it mildly. There are quite a few semi-circular lines on which average journey length would not exceed 3-5 km, and longer distance radial journeys would usually involve quite a few changes. In the masterplan it seems as though they are planning roads instead of Metrolines, with more emphasis on coverage than direct routing.

Of course Beijing's land-use structure is not quite orthodox, but I do think there are implications regarding economies of scale.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #697
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
Having grown up and lived in NYC for many years, I believe the real problem is that NY politicians don't know how much to steal. That is why the subway is always broke and has not been properly modernized.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #698
particlez

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
The lines of Beijing subways are rather ... interestingly planned to put it mildly. There are quite a few semi-circular lines on which average journey length would not exceed 3-5 km, and longer distance radial journeys would usually involve quite a few changes. In the masterplan it seems as though they are planning roads instead of Metrolines, with more emphasis on coverage than direct routing.

Of course Beijing's land-use structure is not quite orthodox, but I do think there are implications regarding economies of scale.

i ALWAYS get a kick out of your criticisms. cause.. you don't make sense. the subway routes often follow the paths of the arterials used. the ring routes are used in other cities like tokyo and moscow, and allow for higher efficiency.

and what's with your final paragraph? oh wait. you'll write something even more arcane.
particlez está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #699
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1779

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlez View Post
i ALWAYS get a kick out of your criticisms.
Thanks for reminding me.

Quote:
cause.. you don't make sense.
To you I don't make sense, and it's your problem I'm afraid.

Quote:
the subway routes often follow the paths of the arterials used. the ring routes are used in other cities like tokyo and moscow, and allow for higher efficiency.
Road and rail are transport modes that are inherently different. Vehicles can switch between roads easily, even effortlessly, but passengers of public transport are much more sensitive to changes, for any change usaully involves lost time through more waiting, having to walk in crowded tunnels for 5 minutes, losing your seat and disrupted sleep - or in short increased stress. This is why the study of classification of journey types in order to minimise changes is extremely crucial when it comes to the design of public transport.

I'm glad you've listed Tokyo and Moscow as examples. Their radial routes extend right to the outer suburbs and satellite towns, as well as penetrate the core. Then they have their ring routes and local routes for increased connectivity and local traffic. Detailed classification allows for minimum number of changes required and minimum variability in loading throughout a train's working. Having lines that cannot be clearly classified will inevitably lead to highly varied usage across different sections of the lines, and uneven loading is the last thing you ever want.

Quote:
and what's with your final paragraph? oh wait. you'll write something even more arcane.
Just shows you have no clue whatsoever about land-use planning and its implications on transport planning.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #700
particlez

Likes (Received): 106

NCT, the beijing subway, just like any other subway is based upon its population and its various nodes of density. because the density in beijing has been legislated to be uniformly high, the subway paths go through seemingly every-and-all areas. notice how inner city tokyo, inner city paris, and seoul have seemingly zig zag subway lines. sure people will have to transfer. but then i wouldn't feel sorry for them.

in places without a consistently high density, subways cannot serve every and all inch of urban area.

i'm not sure why you're criticizing this (well, outside of your typical politically idiotic reasoning). but you'll make up something new later on.
particlez está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, metro