daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #961
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

When i was in Beijing, the low percentage of trolleybuses compared to diesel buses surprised me, considering Beijing's horrible air quality. Why don't they replace more diesel buses with trolleybuses? It would a relatively small investment compared to the reduction of toxic exhaust fumes within the city.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #962
ina555

Likes (Received): 40

I think almost all buses in Beijing are electric, not diesel.
ina555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #963
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ina555 View Post
I think almost all buses in Beijing are electric, not diesel.
Really? You know a site where I can read more about this?
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:19 AM   #964
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Most buses are diesel, though CNG and LNG buses are also well represented.
Old April 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM   #965
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Electrical buses will require the spider web like overhead wires that's gonna clog the area above Beijing's roads, especially the very wide ones. It's never gonna return that's for sure, I'm convinced that CNG electric hybrid and capacitor electric are the way to go.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 03:27 PM   #966
NCT
Not Cwite There

Modern wiring technology can make the wires look very clean and pleasant. People normally don't bat an eyelid when it's tram wires yet are horrified at the prospect of trolleybus wires. Capacitor buses still suffer from power problems - aircon + 50km/h+ running usually means a 2-minute charge at every single bus stop, and any hybrid buses still rely on fossil fuels. In the medium term trolleybuses are still the most reliable and more environmentally friendly, and represent best value for money.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:56 PM   #967
hmmwv

Well during the Expo the capacitor buses run the route connecting the parks on both sides of the Huangpu, they carry a full load of people, AC blasting cold air, and going up and down the under river tunnel, yet it still only takes less than 30 seconds to charge. Tram overhead wire is probably acceptable because the number of lines will be limited, and it usually travels on dedicated track so it won't cross the roads very often. Once you have the wire going all over the place, as electric buses will be doing, it becomes an eyesore. BTW Nanjing is currently planning a new tram at its Hexi New Area and it'll use Siemen's capacitor-electric design.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:12 PM   #968
NCT
Not Cwite There

Trams networks in continental European cities can just be as complex - to be fair the only difference between tram and trolleybus wires is one instead of two, which I personally don't find a big deal.

There were 3 batches of buses operating in the Expo site - diesel ones on Longhua Road East (Puxi side), capacitor buses on the Expo Avenue and battery buses going accross the river. Buses usually stopped twice at each bus stop, once for alighting and once for boarding, which helped mask the amount of time needed to charge the capacitors up.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:21 PM   #969
:jax:

Likes (Received): 538

More wires are really not going to be a problem in Beijing, anyhow there are plenty of trolleybuses here already (all with batteries I believe). A hybrid of capacitor and trolleybus might perhaps be a good idea.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:34 PM   #970
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
More wires are really not going to be a problem in Beijing, anyhow there are plenty of trolleybuses here already (all with batteries I believe). A hybrid of capacitor and trolleybus might perhaps be a good idea.
That would be a sensible thing. Capacitor technology is effective enough when used for short stretches, and IIRC capacitors are longer lasting and more environmentally friendly than batteries.
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #971

Or one day this thing, though frankly I doubt its effectiveness, even if they got it to work. But it would get rid of some cables.
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #972
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
Or one day this thing, though frankly I doubt its effectiveness, even if they got it to work. But it would get rid of some cables.
Bombardier already has this technology and proposed to the Nanjing Hexi tram line but lost to Siemens due to extremely high construction and maintenance cost.
Old April 26th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #973
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5955

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
Trams networks in continental European cities can just be as complex - to be fair the only difference between tram and trolleybus wires is one instead of two, which I personally don't find a big deal.

There were 3 batches of buses operating in the Expo site - diesel ones on Longhua Road East (Puxi side), capacitor buses on the Expo Avenue and battery buses going accross the river. Buses usually stopped twice at each bus stop, once for alighting and once for boarding, which helped mask the amount of time needed to charge the capacitors up.
What is the big deal? If Vienna can afford to have its big tram network, all parts with plain regular and not even fancy looking overhead cables, I guess any Chinese city could as well. If you invest into fancy looking overhead cable systems I would even consider it a gain for the street view.

Trolleybuses cause a slightly bigger mess in the air as their overhead system is quite a bit more complex. But still, I don't understand the fuss people make about it.
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #974

I was in Tongzhou and got an update on rail extensions there.

The R1 express metro line is happening, mostly along the Batong line, but with some interesting exceptions. In the old centre it is diverging from Batong connecting to the current Tongzhou Railway Station, the future Beijing East high-speed railway station, instead before re-joining the Batong line. Then it will diverge south in the direction towards Yizhuang for the terminus. The Batong line will be extended with three more stations in the same direction as before (towards the south-east).

Interestingly both R1 and metro 6 will branch. Metro 6 will have 4 more stations in the direction of Songzhuang, while the R1 branch will serve New Tongzhou with another 3 stations. Both branches of R1 seem to have three stations, but then reportedly there will only be two stations to Tiananmen (the intermediate one presumably being Guomao or thereabout). In other words six stations in Tongzhou, and then only two in East Beijing. I don't know about the western part of R1.

This is a good model, and one I like for bus network as well. Part express with just a few stops maybe 5 km apart, with branch lines at either or both ends serving the local community, maybe just 300-500 meters between stations (obviously longer for an express metro than for busses). In smaller towns and cities only one or a handful interchange stations are needed, but for Beijing the number would likely be more like 40-50. If each bus pass a number of these it should be possible to get from where you are to where you want to be with a single transfer to another bus or the metro system.

The suburban S6 is on track to be opened in 2014. It will have four stops in Tongzhou, interchanging with all other lines except the regular Batong line, as well as unknown stops in Haidian, Shunyi, Yizhuan and both Capital Airport and Daxing/Langfang Airport. (The last may be a later extension, given that there will be no such airport in 2014, and Yizhuang is set up as end stop elsewhere).
Old April 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #975
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

4.28 Beijing Subway reached record volume at daily ride of 8.391 million

The highest volumed 3 lines are:

line 1: 1.6 million
line 2: 1.5 million
line 4: 1.2 million

Source
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #976
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5751

It would be interesting to know the ridership statistics for some of the other lines, especially the ones that don't go downtown like the Changping and Fangshan lines.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #977

Maybe then for the full year (or at least a month), since this holiday weekend is filled with Beijingers leaving town, and visitors entering it.

Also wonder how they counted line riders. The locals using Yikatong would register both point of entry and exit (though not the route taken between them), not sure if the single ticket does the same. Did they count pick point of entry, or exit, or deducing the most likely route between them? They clearly have real-time statistics, so ridership during the day would be interesting as well (though which hours to avoid is pretty clear already).
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #978
saiho

Likes (Received): 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
It would be interesting to know the ridership statistics for some of the other lines, especially the ones that don't go downtown like the Changping and Fangshan lines.
here you go
Line 1: 1.6047 million
Line 2: 1.5129 million
Line 4/Daxing: 1.231 million
Line 5: 1.0374 million
Line 8: 155,900
Line 9: 46,300
Line 10: 1.0412 million
Line 13: 870,400
Line 15: 207,600
Batong Line: 349,100
Changping Line: 126,200
Fangshan Line: 33,900
Airport Line: 36,800
Yizhuang Line: 137 500

Source

Last edited by saiho; May 4th, 2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: forgot quote
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #979
Silly_Walks

Per day? Wow!
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #980
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

When will subway line 6 in beijing be open??
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, metro