daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 11:44 AM   #1441
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Likes (Received): 46

Agree. Increasing capacity is the solution. But there are some engineering challenges aside from money issues to increase capacity. Say for example, increasing the number of train cars in line 1, would require lengthening the underground stations. This will most likely result to temporary closure of portions or maybe whole line 1. This will certainly a traffic nightmare in central Beijing once line 1 will be closed.

The most feasible way to implement line 1 upgrade is to wait until line 3 will be completed. Line 3 in the current plan, is in between line 1 and line 6 in the west portion, and parallel to line 6 in the east portion. Line 3 and line 6 can absorb the passenger flow if line 1 is closed.

Then after that maybe the west portion of line 1 up to Tiananmen can be closed; all the upgrades - lengthening the platforms, platform screen doors, and maybe the parallel R1 can be done all together. Then after this, the line 1 east portion can be upgraded, including merging Batong line.

Line 1 upgrade is very feasible, it is just a matter of finding an acceptable solution.

Line 2 is different, no direct replacement or alternative lines in case it will be closed for upgrade. Maybe wait for line 8 to get completed, and upgrade the western half and eastern half of the line 2 loop one at a time.

Until these upgrades are realized, the Beijing subway passengers might be as well get used to overcrowding.
silent_dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:01 PM   #1442
saiho

Likes (Received): 1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_dragon View Post
Agree. Increasing capacity is the solution. But there are some engineering challenges aside from money issues to increase capacity. Say for example, increasing the number of train cars in line 1, would require lengthening the underground stations. This will most likely result to temporary closure of portions or maybe whole line 1. This will certainly a traffic nightmare in central Beijing once line 1 will be closed.
Platform work on an existing and operational subway station doesn't necessarily mean closure. In Toronto they are adding another platform to an existing station and the station is only closed for short periods of time but is nevertheless operational 95% of the time. They just dig a trench down beside the station gradually knock down the wall and build while the stations operating. If they stagger the operationally obtrusive work to a few or even one station at a time; Line 1's operations will mostly be intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_dragon View Post
Then after that maybe the west portion of line 1 up to Tiananmen can be closed; all the upgrades - lengthening the platforms, platform screen doors, and maybe the parallel R1 can be done all together. Then after this, the line 1 east portion can be upgraded, including merging Batong line.

Line 1 upgrade is very feasible, it is just a matter of finding an acceptable solution.
It is very feasible but their are different ideas floating in my head right now:

They could upgrade the entire line to support 8 car B size trains. That is the cheapest option as only the section between Pingguoyuan and Nanlishilu platforms need to be extended. Fuxingmen to Sihui East is already long enough for 8 cars.

or bundle with R1 and extend everything to support 10 car trains. The latter might be a bit of overkill but that's what I like about China; there is no such thing as overkill ATM

Last edited by saiho; August 18th, 2013 at 05:16 AM.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1443
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Likes (Received): 46

10-car line 1 + 8-car line r1 should not be an overkill in Beijing. In Hong Kong east rail line has even 12-car wide trains where it serve mostly on suburban areas.
silent_dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #1444
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101702

In many Chinese cities increasing train capacity won't be a solution as the bottlenecks are not the train but transfer corridors. Just look at some stations in Shanghai, Beijing or whatever: in rush hour passengers do not have enough time to leave the platform as new once come from the next train. Consider, that even in rush hour headways are not that short.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

big-dog, Highcliff liked this post
_Night City Dream_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 04:48 AM   #1445
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

there are not enough escalators by design. The metro stations are not big enough especially in Beijing. That said, everything has to be designed for long term in China because long term plans become short quickly. Not long ago people were arguing of the "too grand" HSR stations. Now many of them are already "too small" due to the high volume growth.

Shanghai has made some improvement on the newly built lines, i.e. line 13 and line 11 phase II installed more escalators to deal with the rush hour crowd.

metrofans

Highcliff, Northridge, geometarkv liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #1446
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

one nice pic from beijing....
nice to see a bus crossing a touristic point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by little universe View Post

Buses running between Zhengyangmen's two gates

They are Gate House (left) & Archery Tower (right)

image hosted on flickr

IVECO Bus of Line1 Beijing BRT 北京快速公交1线依维柯 by Dennis Wu_双桂坊, on Flickr

Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1447
_Night City Dream_

What are the plans for Beijing metro for years 2013-2014-2015 per year?

Old August 6th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #1448
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Wikipedia's Future lines seems to be on the money.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #1449
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
Here's a chart showing the extreme design to cope with the rush hour passenger flow of Line 13 / line 2 interchanging.

I saw those handrails early this month in Beijing (in non rush hour) and was wondering why they are put there.
I always wondered why when ever I ride on the Beijing Subway, I spend equal amount of time riding on trains and transiting between lines 13 and Line 2... 1 min waiting for train, 15 min on train, 25 min going from one line to another, 1 min waiting for train, 10 min on train, arrive... I took that every day for about a month, and can't figure why I have to walk so long in one freaking station

Now I know why, this is insane!!!!
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #1450
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
In many Chinese cities increasing train capacity won't be a solution as the bottlenecks are not the train but transfer corridors. Just look at some stations in Shanghai, Beijing or whatever: in rush hour passengers do not have enough time to leave the platform as new once come from the next train. Consider, that even in rush hour headways are not that short.
Well if they are going to lengthen the platforms they can build more transfer channels. Stations such as Jianguomen and Fuxingmen need to be rebuilt anyway they are undersized and poorly designed (Spanish solution anyone). You can see that newer stations such as Hujialou are more properly sized. To a certain extent it's a chicken vs. egg thing if the line capacity was higher then the platforms would be more clear. Part of the reason transfer stations are so crowded is because they are crowded with queuing people trying to get on the train not because there is too much people transferring. If the platforms are clearer then the trains have less dwell on stations and more trains can be put in, increasing line capacity.

_Night City Dream_ liked this post

Last edited by saiho; August 18th, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #1451
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai View Post
I always wondered why when ever I ride on the Beijing Subway, I spend equal amount of time riding on trains and transiting between lines 13 and Line 2... 1 min waiting for train, 15 min on train, 25 min going from one line to another, 1 min waiting for train, 10 min on train, arrive... I took that every day for about a month, and can't figure why I have to walk so long in one freaking station

Now I know why, this is insane!!!!
That's not why - this is why (one big cluster of activities within the 4/5th Ring Rd):

Source: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...hy/recent.aspx

"Human Mobility: With the popularity of geo-enabled mobile devices, many kinds of human mobility data are already available these days. The figure below plots the density scatter of taxi pick-up/drop-off points in the city of Beijing, during a period of 3 months."

An example in Hong Kong :

big-dog liked this post
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #1452
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

In February of 2012, the transit planning authorities of Beijing proposed three new express lines: Line R1, which is planned to run parallel to the existing Line 1; Line R2 is planned to run parallel to (and east of) Line 5; and Line R3, whose planned route is currently unknown. I ask, what is necessitating the construction of these three new express lines?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1453
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
In February of 2012, the transit planning authorities of Beijing proposed three new express lines: Line R1, which is planned to run parallel to the existing Line 1; Line R2 is planned to run parallel to (and east of) Line 5; and Line R3, whose planned route is currently unknown. I ask, what is necessitating the construction of these three new express lines?
That's like asking why Paris has the RER or why New York has express local service.
Old September 8th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #1454
saiho

alleged Western Suburban LRT rolling stock

Old September 15th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #1455
saiho

Beijing Subway Ridership as of July 2013:
Daily Average: 9.7503 million
Weekday Average: +10 million
Peak: 11.0552 million

Source

2013 annual ridership running total as of June 30: 1.266 billion

Source

According to Wikipedia if Beijing's semi-annual ridership is placed with the annual stats of other systems it would be the 9th busiest subway system in the world.
Old September 16th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #1456
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

only 9th busiest? Which systems are the top 8?
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #1457
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
only 9th busiest? Which systems are the top 8?
No as in if the Beijing where to have 0 riders for the rest of the year it would still be the ninth busiest in annual ridership. That being said based on my current projections (running total + days in half a year * avg ridership) Beijing will be the busiest subway system in the world by somewhere in 2014 if not by the end of 2013.

big-dog liked this post

Last edited by saiho; September 16th, 2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #1458
_Night City Dream_

Dear friends. Can anyone help me showing pictures of all trains in Beijing subway. I would like to see especially the front part of each train with the indication of the line it runs on.

I want to try to make some models.

geometarkv liked this post
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #1459
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
Dear friends. Can anyone help me showing pictures of all trains in Beijing subway. I would like to see especially the front part of each train with the indication of the line it runs on.

I want to try to make some models.
There is this kind fellow who made plan views of some of Beijing's rolling stock.

Also, if you search the rolling stock series number you will find tons of pictures of them.

Line 1
SFM04

Line 2
DKZ16

Line 5
DKZ13

moar later

_Night City Dream_, geometarkv liked this post
Old September 17th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1460
_Night City Dream_

Thank you very much Saiho. I'm still waiting for the other trains.

Way is the major difference between DKZ16 and DKZ13?

geometarkv liked this post

Tags
beijing, metro