daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:00 AM   #1581
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Beijing metro map by the end of 2014

map made by punch, ditiezu.com

Last edited by big-dog; April 4th, 2014 at 05:10 AM. Reason: updated on April 3 2014 on M12/14
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:36 PM   #1582
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14645

It's weird that both lines that go to the new airport miss Beijing South railway station.
Arnorian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:40 PM   #1583
artin.afsharjavan

Likes (Received): 1

so easy to read, each station has a english translation. I wonder if the public transport is so turist-friendly in the rest of the country.
artin.afsharjavan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:47 PM   #1584
big-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorian View Post
It's weird that both lines that go to the new airport miss Beijing South railway station.
Per latest design the new airport line doesn't go past South Station anymore, rather it will connect with Line 10, which is now among the most important lines of Beijing.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:27 PM   #1585
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

In that map I see some new lines I had not seen anywhere until now:
Line 3 (I had a rough idea of where it would go, though)
Line 9 Northern extension
Line 11
Line 12 (Same as line 3)
Line 15 beyond Fengbo
Line 17 (Same as lines 3 and 12)
Line 18 (Renumbered from R1)
Line 19
Line 20 (I presume this was line R3)
Line 21 (I presume this was suburban line S6)
East 4th ring monorail line
North link line
Hexi (literally "West of [Yongding] river") tram lines
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:31 PM   #1586
saiho

Likes (Received): 1297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorian View Post
I think there will be a High Speed rail link between the two. The new Beijing Airport will have a station on the Jingjiu slow speed rail line. However I think a spur line from the Jinghu HSR will be built along the Jingjiu ROW to provide direct service to Beijing South.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:57 PM   #1587
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

That is good, like I said some pages ago the Beijing South/Airport connection never made sense to me. If you had a connection between the railroad station and the airport it would make a whole lot more sense to have a (higher speed) train connection.

Speaking of which, the "21" line seems to duplicate the S6 at least until Yizhuang. Same line, new name, or a parallel track?

Many name changes for the Tongzhou part of the M6, official?

Pinggu line seems missing. Anything concrete for the talk of Beijing/Hebei integration (e.g. Baoding, Langfang...)?
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:12 PM   #1588

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
East 4th ring road monorail line.

36km long, 21 stations. Transfer available to Lines 1, 3, 7, 12, and 14 but not 6.

Any reason for that odd half-loop at the end?
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:13 AM   #1589
xavier114fch

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
That is good, like I said some pages ago the Beijing South/Airport connection never made sense to me. If you had a connection between the railroad station and the airport it would make a whole lot more sense to have a (higher speed) train connection.

Speaking of which, the "21" line seems to duplicate the S6 at least until Yizhuang. Same line, new name, or a parallel track?

Pinggu line seems missing. Anything concrete for the talk of Beijing/Hebei integration (e.g. Baoding, Langfang...)?
Yes - then S6 is L21 now.
xavier114fch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #1590
xavier114fch

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Any reason for that odd half-loop at the end?
Because the last station is "Universal Studios". So this eastern 4th ring road line is also for serving the proposed theme park in Tongzhou.
xavier114fch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:09 AM   #1591
big-dog

Quote:
It's not official but data is collected from latest news/update. From my observation most lines are pretty accurate based on current available information.

There's small change on April 3 by the author on M12 and M14. so the map is updated accordingly.
Old April 4th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #1592

That is beginning to sound like the death of the S system. S1 has become the Mentougou maglev line, S6 has become L21, S4 seems to duplicate M4. S3 is missing in action here. S5, an alternate route to Yanfang/Fangshan/9, will be needed under some name. This single line looks like a future nightmare. The massive developments in the Fangshan district (predominantly residential by what I can see) will be served by one single line. Speaking of overcrowding, now that the Changping line has two dropoff points, Xi'erxi (13) and Zhuxinzhuang (8), has the transfer improved?

I take it these lines will be under Beijing Subway Group and not any office of China Railway Corporation? I heard a rumour a few days ago of a ring rail line roughly along Ring 7, but I wouldn't be surprised if that one somehow confused with now-L21 (which goes roughly along Ring 6). The metro/rail integration in Beijing confuses me. Line 3 was reportedly delayed because it waited for the final location of the Beijing-Shenyang high-speed rail station it would integrate with. Which station is that?

I have been told that a dedicated Beijing-Tangshan HSR line has been confirmed. While early, I assume that line would have a suburban station somewhere, even if dysfunctional like Yizhuang HSR station currently is. Speaking of Yizhuang, the rumour of an L2 to Langfang persist. (Price and that Yizhuang station is closed aside, I don't see the benefit of such a line unless the farmland along it is about to be developed. If I were in Langfang I'd rather take the train than a slow line to Yizhuang.)

I have also been told that the central Beijing Railway Station will be semi-closed, a VIP station for officials, with the newer stations will handle the transport needs for the public at large. If that were the case, according to this map this would happen at the same time as Beijing Railway Station finally gets another metro connection (this line 2 station was close to being the only central station that were not a trasfer station), and that the rail tunnel to Beijing South (?) is finished. When will the Fengtai station open? What traffic will it handle? Is there any metro/rail map for Beijing when these lines have finished?

The name changes would mean that the letter prefix is somewhat redundant. While before M6 and S6 could easily be confused, the only ones sharing number now are M2 and S2 and putatively L2, and these couldn't be more different. Well, the T1-4, but they are local trams. The tram meeting M8 and L21 does so at Wufutang?
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #1593

I am updating the Google Map file of Beijing Metro with new info, but would appreciate any help to complete/fix it.

jason102, Northridge, big-dog liked this post
Old April 6th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #1594

Putting the lines on the map, there is much good to come, but also many oddities and ineffiencies.

Take the Huilongguan area in the North-East for example, that is the Changping, 8, and 13 lines today and in the future North, 9, and 19 as well. Line 19 to the Daxing airport is a bit of an express line (it had an R moniker once in a different direction), and will likely be a valuable and popular addition. But the rest seem engineered for needless transfers, which is a bad thing, especially in Beijing where each transfer means walking a half-maraton. Furthermore, the vast majority would want to go somewhere more central in Beijing (i.e. in a more or less southerly direction), some might eventually go in the direction of Changping (i.e. northwest), particularly if more biotech companies and the like would settle there, only a few would want to go sideways (east-west), mostly to transfer but there would be many shorter transfers closer to the centre.

19 goes straight for the centre. Changping and 8 go to Changping/Beijing respectively, but in the Huilongguan area they detour sideways. 13, on top of the loop, goes sideways already. The North line is the most useless, not taking the passengers anywhere they'd want to go for several stations. Meandering 9 only alleviates 13.

Today the 12 stops (transfer stations counted twice) have 2 going in a clear NW-S direction (good), 4 more partially in that direction (OK), and 6 going E-W. In the future there will be 23 stops, with 6 going north-south, 4 partially north-south, the rest sideways. Two of the north-going stops is in the middle of the North line and fairly useless as the overarching direction is east-west.
Old April 6th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #1595

21 on the other hand is a peripheral radial line that seems useful, not the least because long distances between stations (except within Tongzhou) allow a more substantial speed. The overall metro standard is 60 km/h max speed and probably something like 20-30 km/h actual average speed, which isn't all that much. It is also going between places people might want to go (Shunyi, Tongzhou, Yizhuang, Daxing, Fangshan, and the two airports). The airport connections could be improved. The branching at the Capital airport seems unnecessary, instead of terminating at Terminal 3, it could continue to Shunyi. Shunyi ironically has no airport connection currently, or by plans.

On the other side of the planet, the upcoming Daxing airport, there is no transfer from 21 to 19/20/airport. Hopefully that was a mistake in the map. A stop there would cost travellers from central Beijing 2 minutes for stop, acceleration, deceleration, but a similar saving would be had by cutting out one of the earlier stops. This would make a dramatic difference in travel time and distance to the new airport for Shunyi, Tongzhou, Yizhuang, Daxing, and Fangshan, which together are probably half the population of Beijing. Alternatively here there could be a branch, either Daxing-Yizhuang or Daxing-Airport-Yizhuang (with a stop where 19/20/21 meet).

For transit travellers it would be really sweet to have a direct no-stop line from Capital Airport to Daxing Airport from behind the security gates on both airports, saving both stops and the security theatre. Such an express would be a little longer, but probably a lot cheaper along the peripheral route of 21 than the direct route through central Beijing. A lesser express could go airport-airport outside security with a stop at Yizhuang station (and possibly Tongzhou station), picking up/dropping Langfang/Tianjin passengers (and Tangshan passengers?).

Dedicated HSR tracks should be considerably cheaper if built together with 21, this would allow direct HSR Tianjin-either airport. If later extended to Zhuozhou East, this Beijing HSR circle would connect all current HSR lines.
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #1596
saiho

Quote:
21 on the other hand is a peripheral radial line that seems useful, not the least because long distances between stations (except within Tongzhou) allow a more substantial speed. The overall metro standard is 60 km/h max speed and probably something like 20-30 km/h actual average speed, which isn't all that much.
In China subway technology can reach a 120km/h max service speed.

Quote:
The branching at the Capital airport seems unnecessary, instead of terminating at Terminal 3, it could continue to Shunyi. Shunyi ironically has no airport connection currently, or by plans.
Good idea.
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #1597

As far as I remember the rated speed for most metro lines is 60 km/h, with the airport express 100 km/h, line 6 and 14(?) 80 km/h. The average speed according to an older page I couldn't find again, is about half that, from the low 20s to 30-something. Stops in the suburbs with long distances should be close to rated speed.

It should be easy enough to calculate, the length of each line and the time it takes are known entities. Nobody has done that for the newer lines.

The express lines (17-21) should be able to hold max speed for much of their journey, whatever max speed will be, 21 should be able to do so for practically all of its journey.

It is kind of sad that you can get from Beijing South to Tianjin in half hour, but if you want to go long-distance within Beijing it will take 1-2 hours.

It would be nice in the abstract to have something like direct diagonals across line 10 (e.g. Bagou-Shilihe and Fengtai-Sanyuanqiao, with 0-2 stops in the middle) at the max speed the trains could bear, that could be extended to a good-speed ring roughly along Ring 6. 120 km/h would be good, 200 km/h would be better.

Achieving the former through the centre of Beijing would be difficult and very expensive, the best hope would be some connecting tunnels between the HSR stations scattered around the city.

But the new airport would be the perfect excuse for doing the latter. I guess/hope 21 would run at 120 km/h, otherwise it would make for a very long journey, but if "express lines" at higher speed were added simultaneously to this line it would be the best, possibly only, opportunity to get this infrastructure "on the cheap".
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #1598
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101801

What do you mean by rated speed?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #1599

Speed they are allowed to go, "maximum service speed". I couldn't find the old speed page and my memory was mistaken according to Wikipedia. Line 6 (and the Airport Express, and presumably many or most of the future lines) can go at 100 km/h, and "other" lines at 80 km/h.

As for actual speed, using Wikipedia and this site, we can get the speed according to time table for the first train in the morning, presumably the fastest train there is. The actual time could be significantly slower, especially during rush hour, but I don't have that data.

Line 1 (80 km/h) 30 km, ca 44 minutes: 41.0 km/h
Line 4 (80 km/h) 28 km, 50 minutes: 33.6 km/h.
Line 5 (80 km/h) 28 km, 48 minutes: 34.5 km/h
Line 6 (100 km/h) 31 km, 53 minutes: 35.8 km/h.

According to the above Line 1 is actually faster than Line 6 (in the morning anyway), even though Line 6 has 25% higher max speed.
Old April 7th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #1600
saiho

Quote:
Speed they are allowed to go, "maximum service speed". I couldn't find the old speed page and my memory was mistaken according to Wikipedia. Line 6 (and the Airport Express, and presumably many or most of the future lines) can go at 100 km/h, and "other" lines at 80 km/h.

As for actual speed, using Wikipedia and this site, we can get the speed according to time table for the first train in the morning, presumably the fastest train there is. The actual time could be significantly slower, especially during rush hour, but I don't have that data.

Line 1 (80 km/h) 30 km, ca 44 minutes: 41.0 km/h
Line 4 (80 km/h) 28 km, 50 minutes: 33.6 km/h.
Line 5 (80 km/h) 28 km, 48 minutes: 34.5 km/h
Line 6 (100 km/h) 31 km, 53 minutes: 35.8 km/h.

According to the above Line 1 is actually faster than Line 6 (in the morning anyway), even though Line 6 has 25% higher max speed.
Yes the standard rated service speed is 80 km/h in China. However service speeds of 100km/h is rapidly becoming the norm. Express lines in Shanghai and Guangzhou reach 120 km/h.

Tags
beijing, metro