daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2015, 04:43 PM   #1761
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
It's so nice to see how fast the metros in China grow, but its a pity that all stations look more or less the same. One can't distingish stations in Guangzhou, Beijing or Xi'an. In some cases you can observe some local details, but in overall they are all very similar.
That seems to be the case with most architecture these days. Often you can pinpoint to a few years when a construction was made, but it can be very hard to tell which part of China it is from. A good or popular idea one place is quickly taken up many other places.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2015, 09:01 PM   #1762
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8806

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
That seems to be the case with most architecture these days. Often you can pinpoint to a few years when a construction was made, but it can be very hard to tell which part of China it is from. A good or popular idea one place is quickly taken up many other places.
To be frank, is that such a bad thing? I would rather have a more dull looking metro like the Beijing subway than the damp, dark but "artistic" caves of Stockholm. Those things just don't work and feel awful to use on a daily basis. Much better to use a system that works than a system trying to entertain tourists.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 09:52 PM   #1763
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5960

I like the caves a lot. It is the other stations in Stockholm which look rather modest. But I was never a regular user of them to be honest.

:jax: liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 09:57 PM   #1764
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Really? I love Stockholm's caves!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 10:37 PM   #1765
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
I like the caves a lot. It is the other stations in Stockholm which look rather modest. But I was never a regular user of them to be honest.
I use a cave station daily. They suck for regular users as they are so depressing - it's bad enough we never get any light in this country anyway, let alone when the stations are so dreary. They are leaky, damp and dark. Give me a brightly lit, functional and easy to use metro station that is not pointlessly deep like most of the cave stations are. When I visited Stockholm, I thought the same as you guys - "wow, aren't these amazing, they look incredible". Then I used them daily and realised that they don't feel as nice as a regular metro station. There is no concourse level and many stations only have one exit too, so they're not very well planned either like these metro stations that, whilst being dull are far more useful for regular users. I guess I'm just not someone who puts artistic consideration above function.
Old February 1st, 2015, 10:59 PM   #1766
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Exterior shot of Liujiayao station on Line 5.

Again at platform level of Liujiayao station.

Dongsi station at line 5 platforms.

Dongsi station line 6 platforms.

Old February 2nd, 2015, 01:49 AM   #1767
saiho

Likes (Received): 1291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
It's so nice to see how fast the metros in China grow, but its a pity that all stations look more or less the same. One can't distingish stations in Guangzhou, Beijing or Xi'an. In some cases you can observe some local details, but in overall they are all very similar.
Ya similar as in they all work really well. No need to make it any different. I would rather have a station that works well than a fancy one. Stations with an artistic flair get old really fast to a daily user.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:39 PM   #1768
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1203

I believe this is because the stations in other countries were built over many decades, that's why they appear different.

Also, in China, dozens of cities are building metro simultaneously. We haven't seen that in western countries. More metros mean more and more repetition.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:10 PM   #1769
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Standardization means less costs. Less costs means more metro.

I'd pick more metro over subjective beauty any day.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:20 AM   #1770
nonotz
Antek Changi

Likes (Received): 75

actually some station do looks very different ...

YongHeGong Station , Olympic Forest Park Station , JiangTai station etc

my only complaint is that , in some lines there is no platform door , where its just an opening (I cant stop thinking someone will just push me over )

oh yea another one , the security check makes a massive queue at rush hour ...

Last edited by nonotz; February 3rd, 2015 at 09:27 AM.
nonotz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #1771
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

The security checks are ridiculous. I took the subway in Beijing last Sunday, and the line was long. I can't imagine what it is like during peak hours. With this and the taxi situation it is pretty much impossible to go anywhere in Beijing anymore. There are security checks in Shanghai and Nanjing but you can just put your head down and blow by them 99% of the time.

It is such a shock in cities like Guangzhou where you can just walk on the subway without having security or fences blocking walkways.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #1772
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

More pictures.

Nanluoguxiang on line 8.

The new Beijing subway maps.

Line indicator above the door.

I know it's a blurry shot, but I loved this picture. Don't bleed on our trains and mind not just one, but ALL the gaps!

Old February 4th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #1773
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Okay, so you guys wanted to see a beautiful, different and highly decorated station? Here is one for you - South Gate of Forest Park station. This one is truly beautiful without seeming dreary and "artistic for arts sake" like some overdecorated stations can feel. The ceiling looks like a tree canopy with light coming between the branches. The platform walls/platform screen doors are decorated with forest scenes as well. Just little touches to make the station "different" to others.

Here is an interchange video at Guloudajie station. Walking from Line 8 to line 2.

Train arriving at Guloudajie station on line 2. You can see that most people wait for people to exit before going onto the train. I actually found Beijingers to be much more polite at boarding the subway than I expected (and more polite than Shanghai).

Old February 5th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #1774
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Oh, Forest Park St. is pretty nice and my fave one in Beijing!
Not all have to be like that though, but some could be. That gives you the impression of something more than just a place where you board the metro. Plus it's nice to see differents things on the way, not all in the same style.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #1775
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

But a lot of concourses in the centre did have some kind of artwork. I took pictures of many of them. At Nanluoguxiang station, you can see in my photo that they mirrored the grey bricks of the Hutong in the bricks on the stairs. The corridors were similarly appointed too, which was a nice nod to heritage of the area (amongst other features of course). This is easy to do in old areas, but new areas are not so good.

Last edited by Svartmetall; February 5th, 2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:10 AM   #1776
ddes

Likes (Received): 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Train arriving at Guloudajie station on line 2. You can see that most people wait for people to exit before going onto the train. I actually found Beijingers to be much more polite at boarding the subway than I expected (and more polite than Shanghai).
I've to agree, I was just in China in December and noticed that difference. Beijing subway etiquette has improved significantly since 2011, and I'd dare say, in some areas, better than my home country of Singapore's.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:36 AM   #1777
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18171

Yes, Shanghai metro is much like the wild wild west! I still recall not many years ago that there are helpers at bus stops to entice people to line up.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #1778
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4435

Maybe the northern Chinese are just more civilized the southern Chinese...
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 08:42 PM   #1779
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101646

Right the contrary.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #1780
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101646

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Ya similar as in they all work really well. No need to make it any different. I would rather have a station that works well than a fancy one. Stations with an artistic flair get old really fast to a daily user.
Wrong. It depends on so many factors.

Quote:
To be frank, is that such a bad thing? I would rather have a more dull looking metro like the Beijing subway than the damp, dark but "artistic" caves of Stockholm. Those things just don't work and feel awful to use on a daily basis. Much better to use a system that works than a system trying to entertain tourists.
Go for Moscow. We have clean and very artistic stations and one of the most efficient metro systems in the world.

Quote:

On this video there ARE people who get in before letting get out. In Shanghai many impolite passengers are those who come from rural areas, and mostly these are northern Chinese. Shanghaiese themselves or their neighbours from Zhejianf or Jiangsu are much more polite.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, metro